Would you go on a ship after a Norovirus outbreak?

Rolla4fun

The Explorer of the Seas is coming back to her home port two days early because of a Norovirus outbreak. Royal Caribbean is working with the CDC to clean and sanitize the ship prior to the next sailing. Question is - would you go out on the next sailing? I'm sure that the ship would be sparking clean and disinfected. My concern would be the crew members that are still contagious are going to be working on the ship. But I would hate to cancel a cruise that I have been looking forward to. What are your thoughts on this?

There are very stringent cleaning protocols they put in place after an outbreak so ship is good

just don't go buffet if you want real safety - restaurants are the only way to go for eating

enjoy

Greg

Yes, have and will. I was also on Voyager a few years ago. They delayed boarding until 1:00 pm for a deep cleaning because they had an outbreak the cruise before. To my knowledge no one had a problem. They did have crew serve at buffets, hand sanitizers (and made you use them), cleaned all stairrails frequently, etc.

Also on Allure a few years ago they had an outbreak. About 120 got sick. They did the same thing with servers, hand sanitizers, cleaning, etc. and everyone else had a great time. In fact one of my best cruises.

One thing I do, and many others, if you go into a public restroom, use the "handicapped" automatic door opener to open the door. Then you don't have to touch the handle after washing your hands. Wash frequently, and always use the hand sanitizer. That seems to have worked well.

I would have no problems going, but would probably take some imodium just in case. Most people who go out and about in public regularly have already been exposed, and have an immunity, so the chances are relatively small that a healthy person would be impacted.

Of course I would go. I always wash my hands and follow good hygiene at home and on my last two cruises there were no cases of Noro.

People read the media and get so afraid. The CDC is on the ball and doing their best to ensure good hygiene. I would highly recommend that you would continue to wash your hands onboard and to use the hand sanitizer in addition to washing your hands.

Let's have a Cruise Critic Campaign "Wash Your Hands For Better Health"

I'm still going (Mar 23 on RCI Freedom), but this event did catch me offguard. However, as my mother has said to me many tmes before, "expect the unexpected". I could wind up with a myocardial infarction and need to be air evaced off the ship by the Dutch Caribbean Coast Guard or some such thing.

So, I can't just not do it. I can't spend my whole life in my condo.

The Explorer of the Seas is coming back to her home port two days early because of a Norovirus outbreak. Royal Caribbean is working with the CDC to clean and sanitize the ship prior to the next sailing. Question is - would you go out on the next sailing? I'm sure that the ship would be sparking clean and disinfected. My concern would be the crew members that are still contagious are going to be working on the ship. But I would hate to cancel a cruise that I have been looking forward to. What are your thoughts on this?

I would deffinitely will.

It depends

If I can't cancel because I won't get my money back (yes)

If I can get my money a week before sailing ( which it won't happen after final payment ) I couldn't think twice before not going

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Am packing today and leaving Friday on the EOS - which as a result of the CDC overseeing the cleaning of the ship and the multiple times it has been cleaned will probably be the most sanitary ocean-going vessel on the high seas!

Of course, I am very interested in the CDC analysis of the stool samples they took. That report is due out today. If it confirms Noro as the culprit, I think most of us who are sailing can rest a little easier --however, if it turns out to be e-coli or something else, then I would definitely have second thoughts.

I strongly believe that if RCCL made no self-service at the buffet for at least the day people are boarding (after commuting by train, bus, airplane) that it would greatly reduce Noro outbreaks.

It was in March 2010, we arrived in Miami at the airport for the transfer to the pier to board the Jewel of the Seas. They let us check our bags and complete our paperwork, but wouldn't let us board. They said boarding had been delayed until the afternoon. They brought us then to a Hotel, where we stayed for about 4 hours. They provided us with drinks and sandwiches.

Yes, they had as well an outbreak of norovirus among the passengers who had disembarked that morning and they needed the extra time to sanitize the ship.

For our cruise, the only difference I think they had, was more of this mobile hand sanitzer stations then usual. To my knowledge, there was no illness reported on our sailing.

Other than boarding a little later than usual, it was a cruise like any other.

So anytime to the first question.

Yes, I would definitely go. I wash my hands probably 50+ times a day. I work at a hospital. There's no ship that could surpass the germs that I'm exposed to daily.

While on a ship, I try to never touch handrails on the stairs, I use a towel to open the bathroom door upon exiting then pitch the towel, and I wash and sanitize my hands all the time. If people would just use common sense while out anywhere, they would be healthier. Remember, not ALL of us wash and sanitize our hands or cover our mouths when we cough or sneeze so the rest of us have to protect ourselves against that group.

:p

Edited by Esmerelda

I would and have already. The Legend had delayed boarding in December because of sanitation due to a Noro outbreak on the cruise before ours. Ironically, I got Noro on a cruise but not that one. I would have been so happy to have gotten that 50-50 deal the Explorer cruisers got.

Edited by CruiseKeeper

hands down i would go. It would be the cleanest ship on the fleet afer all that sanitizing. Just have to wash your hands and use the hand sanitizer.

I posted this many times but I always get them small pocket sized hand santizers from bath and body works. So i always have one in my pocket and it doesnt take up much room.. always better to be safe then sorry

Just thinking what if..... They cancelled all B2B guest because they are exposed and then transfer all the crew ( maybe trade crew with carnival ) Lol just teasing .

Or give them all a paid 5 day vacation to get rid of the bug. No that won't happen either.

No! Been there and done that and never again.

It wasn't risk of getting the virus that was at issue, it was the the minor chaos of the ship sterilizing policies and proceedures. We were told at the begining of the cruise that the policies would stay enforced for 72 hours after no reports of a virus. The policies stayed enforced for 10 of the 12 day cruise.

I don't know the maritime or national laws on virus outbreaks, but we heard the policies were enforced by some higher authority. Coast Guard maybe?

That being said, I have heard other folks say their cruise experience after a noro virous outbreak was much less disruptive to their normal cruise routine. Our experience may be unique, but it was enough that we won't risk it again.

Burt