Cell phone on cruise?

SASSYMI2

What is the best way to use your cell phone on a Caribbean cruise without breaking the bank? Only turn it on on the islands. Ask others to text you instead of calling? Make calls only on the Islands? ETC,ETC.

Doesn't Princess charge a large useage fee if you make or receive calls while onboard?

What is the best way to use your cell phone on a Caribbean cruise without breaking the bank? Only turn it on on the islands. Ask others to text you instead of calling? Make calls only on the Islands? ETC,ETC.

Doesn't Princess charge a large useage fee if you make or receive calls while onboard?

When cruising I turn my cell data off on my iphone.

I only turn it on in a port where I can connect to my carrier AT&T (St Thomas/San Juan/Ft Lauderdale etc)

When the ship is at sea they provide a connection through the ships cell service.

This is where you can rack up charges, for me text are .50 each and calls are $2.49 per minute.

Good for emergencies.

I still send and receive texts when the cell data is off.

Incoming text are free for me.

When you are in foreign ports you will most likely be roaming so the charges can be steep there too.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

It's not necessary to turn the phone off, but you want to turn off data, or it will cost big bucks.

We use our phone for photos, a clock, the timer etc., but I only enabled data when I was actually making calls home.

When cruising I turn my cell data off on my iphone.

This is where you can rack up charges, for me text are .50 each and calls are $2.49 per minute.

I still send and receive texts when the cell data is off.

Incoming text are free for me.

hi im sorry can i ask a qs.

if when cell data is off, you said you can still send and receive, but its 50c each? - i guess for send only, since receive was free, on your carrier.. ?

i've never tried the cell data off.

hi im sorry can i ask a qs.

if when cell data is off, you said you can still send and receive, but its 50c each? - i guess for send only, since receive was free, on your carrier.. ?

i've never tried the cell data off.

Yes I can still send/recieve text with the data off.

Only .50 when you send through the ships cell service.

Free to recieve regardless.

All smartphones regularly ping the wireless network for information, so turning data off is a must. Ships turn their on board cell systems off when in local waters (12 mi) of ports. Turn back on in Intl waters. You can normally turn "roaming data" off in settings so you are not surprised on your next bill.

Text messages are delivered through voice networks normally, hence the reason you can still receive/send when data is turned off.

Hope this helps.

If you have a CDMA phone (Sprint of Verizon) it will generally only work when in US territories that have coverage from US carriers, although it does look like some islands do have CDMA service these days. Phones on GSM carriers (AT&T or T-Mobile) should be able to at least roam in the various islands, but expect significant roaming fees.

If you have an unlocked GSM phone I suppse you could do something like use prepaid service from one of the local GSM carriers that services the islands (Digicel seems to have the widest coverage in the Caribbean) but I don't know how much that costs.

When I go on a cruise my cell phone gets turned off and put in the safe just before the ship sails and doesn't come out again until the night before disembarkation so I can charge it up for when we are back in port. I always leave an emergency number (Princess has them) for someone to reach me if necessary. After all I am on vacation and want to be away from phones?

I have a tmobile android smart phone. Does anyone know how i turn the data off?

it's not necessary to turn the phone off, but you want to turn off data, or it will cost big bucks.

We use our phone for photos, a clock, the timer etc., but i only enabled data when i was actually making calls home.

T-mobile has an international plan that is free if you have certain of their plans. I've used it successfully on a European cruise, on my Caribbean cruise on the Ruby, and I'm using it on my balcony on the Pacific Princess as we depart Lima. Look into it.

, would I still encur some fee from Princess if I used my internet on the ship since I pay for my own data plan?

Yes since you have to access the ship's Wifi in order to connect.

I think the rate is around $.75 per minute.

Mike:)

I have an Iphone and an Ipad that I planned on taking with me on a cruise from LA to Hawaii. I have a wireless data plan with AT&T so I do not need the ship's wireless. So I am confused, would I still encur some fee from Princess if I used my internet on the ship since I pay for my own data plan?

Your wireless data plan with AT&T covers your usage through AT&T cell towers only. While you are at sea, there are no AT&T towers available, only the "tower" provided by the ship through MCP (Maritime Communications Partners). If you use cell-phone data to access the Internet on-board the ship you would be roaming and that's expensive data.

Another poster said you could also use the ship's wifi which is correct. However you must establish an account and use wifi minutes. Unless you have some free minutes by being Platinum or Elite in the Captain's Circle they are expensive as well.

When you get to Hawaii, your AT&T plan will be good as AT&T covers the islands very well. Just be sure your phone says you're connected to AT&T and it's just like you're on the mainland.

Edited by beg3yrs

Here's the data plans directly from Princess

Internet Access

Perfect for those who like to stay in touch or need to manage their affairs on a daily basis in order to put their minds at ease. Help a passenger relax and fully enjoy their Princess vacation by giving them Internet access for news, information and web-based email.

120 minutes

Item #6038 – $72.95

(Includes $69.00 for internet time plan + $3.95. One time activation fee)

(Includes 20 bonus minutes for

prepurchasing an Internet time package.)

240 minutes

Item #6039 – $102.95

(Includes $99.00 for internet time plan + $3.95. One time activation fee)

(Includes 40 bonus minutes for

460 minutes

Item #6302 – $162.95

(Includes $159.00 for internet time plan + $3.95. One time activation fee)

(Includes 60 bonus minutes for

680 minutes

Item #6301 – $202.95

(Includes $199.00 for internet time plan + $3.95. One time activation fee)

(Includes 80 bonus minutes for

1100 minutes (for World Cruise only)

Item #6300 – $252.95

(Includes $249.00 for internet time plan + $3.95. One time activation fee)

(Includes 100 bonus minutes for

All prices include account activation fee.

If you turn on your cell phone in a foreign port, you will be international roaming and will pay the price determined by your cell carrier which is most instances is less than using it aboard the ship in international waters. There are packages available from most carriers.

AT&T charges for messages sent and free for those received. Verizon charges both ways. Always check with your carrier to find out what they charge.

While data received/sent through the ship cell tower is pricey, turning it off is an excellent idea. The ship does have WiFi which is not the same as cell tower data exchange although to the user it appears the same. Use of the ship WiFi requires a prior setup and purchase before it can be used and does require a log on sequence as well as a log off sequence. It is quite slow. This is not land based internet services by any means.

If you turn off data on your cell phone but leave on the messaging capability, the voice capability will also be active meaning you could receive phone calls at $2.49/minute. You cannot deactivate voice and keep messaging.

When you are outside the US, always look at your cell phone display and see where the cell phone is attached. If you see anything that includes "at sea", you are attached to the ship's tower. All use of the tower is billed through your home cell phone carrier.

Bottom line: ALWAYS check with your carrier before leaving on the cruise for their prices and policies. Do not take other people's opinions.