3 Cruises and I've Never Had Lunch in the MDR - Menus?

thebutlerdidit

I guess it's because I've been on port- intensive cruises, but I've never had lunch in the main dining room. What's it like? Do you order from a menu and if so does the menu change?

Yes, you order from a menu, which changes daily. We did it once on our last cruise in 2011, and we weren't terribly impressed with the food or service. Still, if you're tired of the buffet, it might be a nice change of pace. The offerings tend to be less elaborate than the dinner menu, but there are still some nicer things than you might find in the buffet.

There are 2 or 3 menus that rotate. I actually like lunch in the MDR. One of the days they have sliced duck breast, which I really like. Sadly, on Constellation last summer, I was told they could not prepare it medium rare for me, which I found out later (when I met the Executive Chef) was not true. Lucky for our server that day (who was probably just being lazy), I could not remember his name (the chef asked for it).

The MDR is open from 12-1:30 for lunch, and only on sea days. Sometimes we sleep in and head down to the Elite breakfast and finish around 10am. I'm really not ready to eat again around Noon. :eek:

I'm going to have to change my eating schedule on my next cruise, a TA, because as I can recall, the lunches in the MDR were excellent.

Yes, shorts and sandals OK, but no swim suits.

Oh that's good. I remember on my first X cruise back in 2001 we went to the MDR for tea time and they wouldn't let me in with cargo shorts on. (I'm a girl) They made me come back with long pants on. I came back with Adidas running pants. The only pants I had. :p Yes those swishy baggy things.

Edited by whataboutport

Oh that's good. I remember on my first X cruise back in 2001 we went to the MDR for tea time and they wouldn't let me in with cargo shorts on. (I'm a girl) They made me come back with long pants on. I came back with Adidas running pants. The only pants I had. :p Yes those swishy baggy things.

I think you have to wear slacks for "High Tea" in the MDR, which is not lunch -- isn't High Tea some time in the mid-afternoon?

Usually the menu will offer a couple of appetizers, a soup or two, a couple of entrees and a sandwich or two. In general, the choices are more casual than what you expect for dinner. There might be a fish and chips, for instance, or a fried shrimp plate, and a reuben for the specialty sandwich. I think there are some always available items also, such as a hamburger with fries. The atmosphere is quieter than the buffet, and of course you are waited on, which is a big plus. We usually try to do it once per cruise, at least. Most everyone is in shorts, no problem there, but no bathing suits allowed.

Edited by cynbar

I've also never done MDR for lunch. Just prefer the ocean air outside the buffet for lunching.

Last 2 cruises, no one made hardly a peep about the Brunches. Never knew it happened on reflection, and on connie, only found out because tried to order breakfast for room service late one morning and they suggested it. It was in the hours of the daily, but not highlighted at all. Ate at BLU night prior, and waiter didn't tell us either.

Lunch would seem boring in the huge room I would think.

Edited by cle-guy

Love it. Wish they were open everyday for lunch. Recently on the Eclipse, we had 4 days that it was open. Open on sea days only. I had some really great dishes. Satay, grilled salmon, asian noodles, key lime pie. Love being served. Not a fan of the buffet chaos. Buffet is dull.

Our 2nd cruise on Celebrity was on the Silhoutte. We decided to try the MDR for lunch as we didn't on the first cruise. Service was terrible and very slow. We left before our main entre came and that was after being there for 45 minutes.

We never tried it again and that was about 6 cruises ago.

🌅🍻🍸🍻

Love it. Wish they were open everyday for lunch. Recently on the Eclipse, we had 4 days that it was open. Open on sea days only. I had some really great dishes. Satay, grilled salmon, asian noodles, key lime pie. Love being served. Not a fan of the buffet chaos. Buffet is dull.

Great info!! We usually have lunch in Bistro on five on sea days. Might try MDR on the Reflection in July :):)

Hi,:) I have been to lunch in the main dining room many times over the

years. It is only open for lunch on sea days.

Just like every other food topic on here, it is always subjective.

I have enjoyed many of my lunches in there. They used to serve a

Potatoe Pie dish that was amazing:D......layers of cheese and potatoes

in a good crust.....not sure if they still serve it or not but it was one

of my favorites.

They usually have sandwiches as well as full entrees so you do get

a choice.......the sandwich would be something like a steak sandwich

(served warm) with peppers/onions served open faced.

If the service is poor? The Mait'rd needs to be informed so the problem

can be fixed. That needs to be at any meal.....breakfast, lunch or dinner.

I think you have to wear slacks for "High Tea" in the MDR, which is not lunch -- isn't High Tea some time in the mid-afternoon?

Yes it is. I didn't say I wasn't permitted in the MDR for lunch with shorts. I said for tea time. I just thought it was funny that we were the only ones in there and they made me change. The only pants I had were running pants. Not any dressier than my past the knees cargo shorts.