Really a huge difference in itinerary between major St. Pete's tours?

Hubby and I are looking at TJ, Alla, Anastasia and SPB tours for a two day tour on our cruise. Reviews are glowing for all of them for the most part. Just to make sure we are not overlooking anything, it seems as though most the deluxe tours offered on each are about the same - at least as to what is visited? Can anyone point out any glaring differences between the tours that I seem to be missing?

Thanks

And ps - we are leaning towards TJ tours because of the vodka night excursion- thoughts?

Hubby and I are looking at TJ, Alla, Anastasia and SPB tours for a two day tour on our cruise. Reviews are glowing for all of them for the most part. Just to make sure we are not overlooking anything, it seems as though most the deluxe tours offered on each are about the same - at least as to what is visited? Can anyone point out any glaring differences between the tours that I seem to be missing?

Thanks

And ps - we are leaning towards TJ tours because of the vodka night excursion- thoughts?

For a private tour, and of the big ones will do exactly what you want them to do. And all of them will arrange a vodka night excursion, or the ballet or a canal cruise or a nice dinner in the evening for you as well.

Most folks here end up choosing one over the others based on how well their correspondence goes with the company, or based on a strong recommendation from a friend.

But they really all provide pretty much the same, outstanding tour.

For a private tour, and of the big ones will do exactly what you want them to do. And all of them will arrange a vodka night excursion, or the ballet or a canal cruise or a nice dinner in the evening for you as well.

Most folks here end up choosing one over the others based on how well their correspondence goes with the company, or based on a strong recommendation from a friend.

Agree.

We used this forum quite a bit for our research in advance of our Baltic cruise last year.

One thing I do seem to remember... one or more people had so-so comments about their vodka night tour, although I am not sure which operator they used. If the vodka night you are considering is a canal cruise, be sure to check your day itinerary, as you might be doing a day time canal tour as well. Just something to consider.

Enjoy your cruise and visit to St Petersburg.

One thing I do seem to remember... one or more people had so-so comments about their vodka night tour, although I am not sure which operator they used. If the vodka night you are considering is a canal cruise, be sure to check your day itinerary, as you might be doing a day time canal tour as well. Just something to consider.
Completely agree. We booked with Alla based on a recommendation, and it was a wonderful tour. (Folks who were on other tours likewise enjoyed their tours.) However, we also booked a canal evening excursion through the cruise line without realizing that we also had a canal tour on our Alla tour - so we sailed the canals twice. It really wasn't a problem for us, since we were with our sons who were not into ballet or Russian folklore - but if you want something different for an evening tour, check your itinerary.

Thanks everyone. We did see that it would be a double cruise if we took the vodka one later and we have seen some not stellar reviews of the vodka cruise. We like the TJ vodka excursion because there is time for shopping and walking down Nevsky Prospect. All of the major tours seem to have good reviews - we just want to make sure we properly maximize our time there! Thanks again!

All the licensed guide have a set tour

They can deviate somewhat but you will find that all have the same speach for each site you visit ;)

Do you have a reason for suggesting that the standard tours are "pre planned basically by the government" ? :confused:

JB :)

At first look, most of the major tour companies do the same thing, show you the same things and all charge about the same thing, but there are differences, though minor ones, which might mean more to you than to others.

Since we traveled about 3 years ago, if anything has changed, I apologize, but from being on these boards since that time, I am pretty sure I am up to date on most things.

For us, we chose SPB Tours because they offered us a sit down lunch at a regular Russian restaurant, opposed to other groups who gave you a boxed lunch where you ate on the go. We thoroughly enjoyed our restaurant time, and experience, and gave us a chance to relax and see how things like that were done. We had Russian food which I won't go into, but again, it was one of the reasons that sold us on SPB over the others. At our time they were the only ones that offered the Canal cruise at no additional cost. I'm not sure how that is done now, but that is something you do want to do on your 2 day tour.

We are of the Jewish faith and we wanted to visit the Grand Choral synagogue. It wasn't on our itinerary or any other operators itinerary. When we mentioned this to Viktoria, the owner, she immediately added it. It was things like that, plus the feelings we got from dealing with SPB that sent us in there direction.

yes, all are basically the same, but there are differences. YOU have to do your homework and see which one is best for you. I really go against those that say go by what friends tell you. EVERYONE says that their tour group was the best, without experiencing any others. It may have been best for your friends but not for you. YOU have to decide for yourself.

Cheers

Len

When trying to decide what we should do, I prepared a spreadsheet to compare just what each company offered on their different tours. The result was that the main three tours, Alla Grand, SPB De Luxe Tour and TJ All Highlights all offer exactly the same apart from the meals options with SPB De Luxe and TJ All Highlights offering two restaurant meals and Alla Grand offering a restaurant meal on one day and a packed lunch on the other day. The TJ tour returns to the ship half an hour later (6.30pm) than the other two (6pm). SPB seem to offer city highlights by boat although this bit was a bit of a 'grey' area and although shopping was included on their tour, I believe there was no mention of visiting a Farmers Market.

We finally decided on the Alla Grand Tour and found them extremely efficient throughout the booking process. We are now really looking forward to our two day tours with them.

I hope this may help others to make their decision. You just have to go with whatever suits you and whichever company you feel comfortable with too.

All Highlights all offer exactly the same apart from the meals options with SPB De Luxe and TJ All Highlights offering two restaurant meals and Alla Grand offering a restaurant meal on one day and a packed lunch on the other day.
Just a note that if you book Alla's "Comfort" tour you have two restaurant meals. We had lunch in a restaurant not far from the Church of the Spilled Blood one day and at the Orangerie at Peterhof the following day. The "Comfort" tour didn't visit Yusupov's Palace or St. Isaac's Cathedral, but it was still a very busy two days.

We opted for a private "active" tour with TJ Travel..not only seeing all the major sites but with the flexibility to spend at times very little time at each which gave us the opportunity to add a few unplanned stops..like..a shopping mall, post office, bakery, subway and a very upscale hotel where most all dignitaries & celebrities stay, the wall of photos there was a who's who. :).We saw and did more in those two days than we ever thought possible and was it worth it to us...priceless trip of a lifetime...Enjoy !!

Edited by Ashland

Just a note that if you book Alla's "Comfort" tour you have two restaurant meals. We had lunch in a restaurant not far from the Church of the Spilled Blood one day and at the Orangerie at Peterhof the following day. The "Comfort" tour didn't visit Yusupov's Palace or St. Isaac's Cathedral, but it was still a very busy two days.

Exactly, that's why we booked the Alla Grand tour because we wanted to visit Yusupov's Palace and St Isaac's Cathedral and all three companies do that.

We opted for Alla Tours comfort tour not just because it included lunches on the two days but because the lady I travelled with was nearing 70 and had some difficulty with long walks etc so we thought we might miss a couple of places but the strain would not be so much on her.

We both had a fab time and would not hesitate in recommending Alla Tours.

• 3 weeks later...

The big difference I found in the itineraries was the Russian Museum, highly recommended by Rick Steves. TJ does not go there, so I eliminated them. Alla and SPB do, but Alla is now requiring payment on the very first day. So I think I will go with SPB.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Edited by vk8cruiser

I too found small differences in the tours when looking at them on a spread sheet. One thing I would recommend, EMAIL each and ask for the detailed itinerary for the day/ship you will be there. They all EMAILed back with the details and they differed slightly from the websites. With that, I was able to formulate a comparison and narrowed it down to SPB and TJ Travel. Ended up booking with TJ (just a slightly longer tour each day, dedicated shopping time, etc.) etc. Small differences, but we had a blast with them.

Based on what is important to you might lead you one way or another. Enjoy.

Thanks

We did the tour with TJ and also did the vodka night -- it was amazing and we had a ball. If we go back to St. Petersburg the only tour company I would book with is TJ -- they were that good. We heard people on the ship speaking about their tours with other companies and they just did not measure up to what we experienced with TJ.

I was debating the same thing....but I have had incredible and FAST communication with TJ Travel -answers to my MANY questions! I have decided 100% to book their 5 city package. It is SO reasonable and includes 2 days in St. Petersburg. I'm going to book it soon! I wonder why they don't include a tour in Copenhagen. They have all of their own tour guides in all of the port cities...they don't subcontract.

I was debating the same thing....but I have had incredible and FAST communication with TJ Travel -answers to my MANY questions! I have decided 100% to book their 5 city package. It is SO reasonable and includes 2 days in St. Petersburg. I'm going to book it soon! I wonder why they don't include a tour in Copenhagen. They have all of their own tour guides in all of the port cities...they don't subcontract.

I agree..and the main reason I also opted for TJ Travel for our 2 day's in St. Petersburg.

The communication was not only very quick but was also so personal with such an attention to the details of our specific planned visit...I many times started off with "Me Again" and her response you could almost hear her laughter...I felt by the time we actually got to St Petersburg Tatyana had become my new friend in Russia.

We still communicate..she always sends a Christmas Greeting and our e-mails have truely become that of friends...Not many companies now a days gives you that personal attention long after you were a client....

Tatyana and her group of guides and drivers = priceless...and we can't wait to go back :)

Edited by Ashland

I agree..and the main reason I also opted for TJ Travel for our 2 day's in St. Petersburg.

The communication was not only very quick but was also so personal with such an attention to the details of our specific planned visit...I many times started off with "Me Again" and her response you could almost hear her laughter...I felt by the time we actually got to St Petersburg Tatyana had become my new friend in Russia.

We still communicate..she always sends a Christmas Greeting and our e-mails have truely become that of friends...Not many companies now a days gives you that personal attention long after you were a client....

Tatyana and her group of guides and drivers = priceless...and we can't wait to go back :)

Ashland - Did you book the tours in all 5 cities with TJ?

I'm so glad to hear that it was a fabulous experience! About to book it....

Ashland - Did you book the tours in all 5 cities with TJ?

I'm so glad to hear that it was a fabulous experience! About to book it....

No I only booked a private 2 day tour for St Petersburg...we found the other ports very easy for us to DIY.

Have a wonderful time in SPG and please tell Tatyana when you get there and you finally meet her Ashland says "Hello"...she'll know who you're talking about...

I'm always so excited to hear about the many other's that have enjoyed their time with her guides and drivers..so please come back and post about the amazing time you have.

You're on your way to a wonderful experience...ENJOY !!

Do any of the tour companies offer an overnight stay in St. Petersburg? We want to take advantage of all our time there!

Are you talking about staying in a hotel instead of on the ship?

Personally, that really makes no sense. If you book a tour with a private company, they are responsible for you when ever you are off the ship. they sure aren't going to allow you to stay by yourself in a hotel.

Plus, even if you could do that, it will save you nothing as to time. The tour company picks you up bright and early and delivers you back about dinner time. Plus, you would have to find places to eat etc.

really, if that is what you are thinking, IMVHO, you should really rethink it.

Cheers

Len

Are you talking about staying in a hotel instead of on the ship?

Personally, that really makes no sense. If you book a tour with a private company, they are responsible for you when ever you are off the ship. they sure aren't going to allow you to stay by yourself in a hotel.

Plus, even if you could do that, it will save you nothing as to time. The tour company picks you up bright and early and delivers you back about dinner time. Plus, you would have to find places to eat etc.

really, if that is what you are thinking, IMVHO, you should really rethink it.

Cheers

Len

Spot on advice Len...as always.