Purchase wine at port.......Fort Lauderdale?

Sherry H

Arriving late the night before our cruise. Our hotel has a shuttle the next morning to the port.

Once we arrive at port, is there any place within walking distance to purchase our alloted 2 bottles of wine?

Not within walking distance IMO. You might want to take a taxi and stop at Total Wine on your way. Depending on which hotel you are at, the cost of the shuttle is often about the same as a taxi.

Some of the hotels are close to some mini marts, grocery stores or a Publix. Most of those will have a selection of wine. If one is within walking distance of that you could pick it up before you take your shuttle. Your hotel would be able to tell you.

What hotel are you staying at?

There are some hotels within walking distance to the Harbor Shops on Cordova Street -- right off 17th Street -- where Total Wine and Publix are located.

Also -- what day of the week are you sailing? If it is on a Sunday, Total Wine, alcohol stores and the liquor part of Publix does not open until Noon.

We are staying at Days Inn/Hollywood Airport South.

There is a Publix grocery store with a wine section 2 miles west of your hotel. You may be able to talk the shuttle into taking you there.

Call the hotel and see if they will transport you.

Edited by POA1

We placed our order at Total Wine on-line so it would be ready for pick-up, and then asked our shuttle driver to swing by on our way to the port (we were the only passengers). No problem! It worked out great.

Had no idea you could pre-order wine from Total Wine. How convenient! We can figure out what we want from the comfort of home instead of wandering around an unfamiliar liquor store before we head to the ship. Thanks for the tip!

Please make note that you will not be able to buy wine until after 12 noon on Sundays. Applies to all types of stores in Ft. Lauderdale (grocery, pharmacy, etc.)

I think there is an echo here -- just mentioned that a few posts before you did.

OH -- maybe you didn't see my post because you have me on your Ignore List.

I don't think I have anyone on my ignore list - at least not intentionally. I read your posts every day or at least every time I log in. I think I must have not seen your post or else I was typing when you were and/or missed it?

p.s. I try to only make a comment when I think I have something helpful to add that no one else has mentioned - that is why I don't always post on every topic.

Edited by lastlook

Please make note that you will not be able to buy wine until after 12 noon on Sundays. Applies to all types of stores in Ft. Lauderdale (grocery, pharmacy, etc.)

Thanks for the head up on this one, we are arriving on Saturday, will go to Total Wine Saturday evening, then take a taxi to the port, we don't bother with hotel shuttles. We stay at the Embassy Suites on 17th, seems like a zoo there with RCCL large ships in port but easy for us to buy wine etc.

I thought I read somewhere that Total Wine will deliver. Perhaps the OP can purchase it online ahead of time and have it delivered to their hotel?

DaveOKC

They do deliver, but I don't know how that would work if you aren't from the area. I live in Fort Lauderdale and we often order for pickup. The store inventory is online, so you can see if your favorites are in stock.

As far as transporting under the new policy goes, TW sells a nylon 6 bottle tote bag for about $2. Since we have to take our wine through security, it's probably easier to use the tote bag than it is to carry a box.

I'd recommend that you register for an account with them. (No credit card needed unless you are ordering.) That way, you can see what sales are in effect and perhaps print coupon.

Thanks for the head up on this one, we are arriving on Saturday, will go to Total Wine Saturday evening, then take a taxi to the port, we don't bother with hotel shuttles. We stay at the Embassy Suites on 17th, seems like a zoo there with RCCL large ships in port but easy for us to buy wine etc.

You're most welcome - we found this out the hard way one Sunday, and our hotel's shuttle driver even took us one town over to see if we might have any better luck there - nope.

You're most welcome - we found this out the hard way one Sunday, and our hotel's shuttle driver even took us one town over to see if we might have any better luck there - nope.

The Blue Laws vary by municipality. Fort Lauderdale & Hallandale are the two cities in Broward County that have the noon Sunday rule.

http:// http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-08-27/news/fl-editorial-alcohol-blue-laws-gs-20130827_1_morning-alcohol-alcohol-sales-liquor-sales

They do deliver, but I don't know how that would work if you aren't from the area. I live in Fort Lauderdale and we often order for pickup. The store inventory is online, so you can see if your favorites are in stock.

As far as transporting under the new policy goes, TW sells a nylon 6 bottle tote bag for about $2. Since we have to take our wine through security, it's probably easier to use the tote bag than it is to carry a box.

I'd recommend that you register for an account with them. (No credit card needed unless you are ordering.) That way, you can see what sales are in effect and perhaps print coupon.

Thanks for this information. The one time that I did order/pre-pay online (well in advance) with Total Wine in Ft. Lauderdale, I went to pick up the order and they couldn't find it. I showed them my paper work and they quickly assembled my order. One bottle of corked wine turned out to be bad when our wine steward opened it at dinner, but I never pursued it with Total Wine - seemed like it would be too much of a hassle to bother. Despite these two issues, I would go back and give them another try - maybe next cruise.

Had no idea you could pre-order wine from Total Wine. How convenient! We can figure out what we want from the comfort of home instead of wandering around an unfamiliar liquor store before we head to the ship. Thanks for the tip!

If you find something you like on the Total Wine website, you can click "Add to Shopping List" - assuming you selected the Fort Lauderdale store. If you look at your Shopping List, it will tell you where to find your wine - Aisle 22 on Left for instance. Very handy.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

If we take a taxi and have him stop at Total Wine on the way to the pier, I'm sure the meter will be running.

Which means I best "run" also!

If you pre order, the pick up is right inside the door. I'd allow a day for the order to process. You can always call the store to make sure your order is complete.

The only issue we've ever had was when they were out of a particular vintage and needed to substitute. They called to see if it was okay.