Suggested improvements for the dress code issues

I'm old school and that is just how we were brought up....No hats at the table, I don't care what kind it was. Even when I got grown, I better not had even thought about wearing a hat at my mother's table...Heck I don't even put my elbows on the table!

O.K. Custom dictates that cowboys remove their hats at dinnner. What about these guys?

thCAYXEAOJ.jpg.6248b49c9f9e49e618ead69a7826c240.jpg

As I stated earlier, how you like to dress for dinner on vacation has nothing to do with respect. Saying it over and over again does not make it true.

That is your opinion and I respect that. In my opinion, how you respond to a published dress request (suggestion, code, whatever) is a matter of respect. Just my opinion.

As I stated earlier, how you like to dress for dinner on vacation has nothing to do with respect. Saying it over and over again does not make it true.

LOL, but you saying it over and over again makes it false? Sorry, sweetie, but no... :rolleyes:

O.K. Custom dictates that cowboys remove their hats at dinnner. What about these guys?

Not custom, politeness and respect dictates that ALL hats are removed at the dinner table. Just like politeless and respect dictates that you don't chew with your mouth open and you don't talk with your mouth full. Would you argue that those "customs" aren't appropriate either?

There can be reasons for a man to wear something on his head at the table. Perhaps someone like my uncle who had a steel plate put in his head as a result of wounds from the Korean War. If he does not have something on his head all the time his head gets cold to the point of getting a headache. He risked life and limb for your rear-end. Would you be insulted to sit at a dinner table with him?

If I choose to wear smart casual on formal night I am not disrespecting anyone. The "dress code" is (per the RCI web site) suggested.

LOL, but you saying it over and over again makes it false? Sorry, sweetie, but no... :rolleyes:

Who am I respecting if I wear a tux? And vice-versa, who am I disrespecting if I wear only a polo shirt and khaki pants?

Main answer to this:

I AM ON VACATION AND CAN DO WHAT I WANT!!!! I have been on 4 cruises in 4 straight years, I don't care what others do and have NEVER been asked to change what I have on. I have worn nice shorts and sometimes collared shirts...

These fashion police are a minority to what the cruise line cares about, that is why it is and ALWAYS be "Suggested". They would rather I spend my money buying drinks, excursions than to worry about plopping down $$ for clothes that I will not wear.

I am 50 years old and the world is different, business have very casual dresses and my church pastor wears jeans and a t-shirt!!!!

The problem on this website (not on the cruise) is that some people try to impose their views on others by telling them they are not being respectful! How's that for irony? As you stated, maybe we should bring respect back into our lives.:rolleyes:

It seems that this "Respect" thing is a one sided thing. People should respect people that dress up but people that dress up don't have to respect people who dress differently than their standard of what "They" consider "Acceptable"!

In our society it is considered acceptable to let women on an off elevators first or in and out of doors first, etc. There are societies in the Middle East where that practice is totally not acceptable. Is it a sign of disrespect because they don't do it and here we do??? Respect is a two way street...it goes both ways! :cool:

Hi all. Reading these comments about dress codes, we live in a very casual world today. This is not the 1950's or 1960's any more. When I go out to eat I see all kinds of attire in the dinning room. From Suites to shorts. I'm more concerned with the quality of the food, than what evrty one else is wearing.:rolleyes:Gary

Who am I respecting if I wear a tux? And vice-versa, who am I disrespecting if I wear only a polo shirt and khaki pants?

Who are you respecting if you close your mouth to chew and don't talk with your mouth full? And who are you disrespecting if you sit there and chew with your mouth open and talk with your mouth full?

Hint: the answer is the same - or are those things you don't feel you have to conform to out of respect either??

Not custom, politeness and respect dictates that ALL hats are removed at the dinner table. Just like politeless and respect dictates that you don't chew with your mouth open and you don't talk with your mouth full. Would you argue that those "customs" aren't appropriate either?

That is your definition of politeness and respect. Do you speak for all other passengers?

And your attempt to compare wearing a hat at the dinner table with two disgusting and unsanitary "habits" is weak.

Edited by comxkid

Who are you respecting if you close your mouth to chew and don't talk with your mouth full? And who are you disrespecting if you sit there and chew with your mouth open and talk with your mouth full?

Hint: the answer is the same - or are those things you don't feel you have to conform to out of respect either??

Again, a weak attempt to compare two entirely different things.

Dress codes are really nothing more than asking that you show "respect". Formal night, whan the majority of people are wearing a jacket in tie, you should not be "disrespectful" and show up with a t-shirt and baseball cap.

Those that say, they don't care, are usually also those that dress based on the "I don't care" rule.

Baseball caps, or any hat, is a sign of disrespect at dinner. Why do you need to wear a hat at dinner? Something wrong? Hiding something? If that is the case, than maybe, but unless you have something to hide, don't wear it to dinner at any time.

Today's society is all about "ME" and not about respect. This debate will continue until respect is brougnt back into our lives.

Please clarify who is the benefactor of the "respect". RCL? They don't care - just show up and they'll feed you. The waitstaff? They get paid no matter what you are wearing. The "glamour" of the MDR and it's "lavish" furnishings? No comment...

So who is left? The passengers who are disgruntled by the free choice of others not to participate in the party. That is what it boils down to - not respect, or manners, or courtesy, but the compulsive imposition of one's personal views on their fellow passengers. No one has that right, especially on a mass-market cruise line like RCL.

I couldn't tell you! I don't know what is accepatble for cowboys or anyone else. I don't wear hats at the table as I said is because it is the way I was brought up! But that is me and it doesn't ruin my cruise experience if I see someone at dinner with a hat on and I certainly don't lose any sleep over it! :cool:

I plan on wearing a tuxedo for my formal nights in November. I wore a dark suit and tie for the formal nights on my prior cruise.

Do I think it's appropriate to wear shorts, t-shirts, or baseball caps in the dining room. No.

Do I think it's appropriate for me to decide and dictate what others should wear. No.

Do I think RCCL needs to get rid of the vague and unenforceable language in its policies. Yes.

[*]Add a list of items prohibited in the MDR any evening - shorts, jeans, t shirts, flip flops, ball caps.

It really should go without saying that adults at least shouldn't wear "ball caps" to dinner. They really shouldn't wear them indoors- ever. Sorry, if someone thinks it's part of their "look", or a "style", they're wrong. That "style" basically says 'I'm ignorant to typical social standards and like to dress like a child'.

I couldn't tell you! I don't know what is accepatble for cowboys or anyone else. I don't wear hats at the table as I said is because it is the way I was brought up! But that is me and it doesn't ruin my cruise experience if I see someone at dinner with a hat on and I certainly don't lose any sleep over it! :cool:

Agree 100%.

Oh no, not at all. But there is a difference between a dress code so that people are comfortable, and just being picky. Swimsuits and things like that should clearly not be allowed, but I just don's see an issue with jeans and hats. Just my .02 though

Really....does anyone really care what anyone else is wearing? To be quite honest, I don't pay that much attention to anyone but my own party...and I'm pretty sure most (but apparently, not all!) folks do the same!

The folks who choose NOT to dress formally are the ones who must feel "out of place"...not those who do make the effort on designated "formal" nights.

Jeez, folks! As long as people aren't parading around in their underwear, who cares?

As usual, the disagreement is not about if a line should be drawn, but where that line should be drawn.

Substitute "jeans, t-shirts, or caps" for swimsuits or underwear above and you have my position on the subject.

Furthermore, you can no more "logically" explain why you would object to people showing up in underwear or swimsuits thatn I can logically explain why I think people shouldn't show up in jeans and t-shirts.

I mean, it's their vacation, why should you care if they're only wearing underwear?

I doubt anyone's cruise is ruined or that anyone loses sleep over it.

But that still leaves a lot of room to be annoyed. If I spilled my drink all over you you would probably still enjoy your cruise overall and sleep well, but that doesn't mean it's ok for me to do it.

As usual, the disagreement is not about if a line should be drawn, but where that line should be drawn.

Substitute "jeans, t-shirts, or caps" for swimsuits or underwear above and you have my position on the subject.

Furthermore, you can no more "logically" explain why you would object to people showing up in underwear or swimsuits thatn I can logically explain why I think people shouldn't show up in jeans and t-shirts.

I mean, it's their vacation, why should you care if they're only wearing underwear?

I would really prefer for this guy to show up in jeans and a t-shirt. Logic would dictate that there may be some health and sanitary issues at play here otherwise.

262211112_hairyguy.jpg.e333a1ea28ebafcca365d1d48ed4f69e.jpg

It really should go without saying that adults at least shouldn't wear "ball caps" to dinner. They really shouldn't wear them indoors- ever. Sorry, if someone thinks it's part of their "look", or a "style", they're wrong. That "style" basically says 'I'm ignorant to typical social standards and like to dress like a child'.

Without taking into account "Cultural Differences"???? There use to be a time when a man wearing an ear ring was totally unacceptable, but of course now that is not the case and men of all ages wear them. Here in the U.S. there are so many different cultures of people now days, it could very well be that you are ignorant to what might be their "Typical Social Standards" and this is especially true on a cruise. Everyone don't fit into the fishbowl of what's socially prpoer in the U.S.

But that still leaves a lot of room to be annoyed. If I spilled my drink all over you you would probably still enjoy your cruise overall and sleep well, but that doesn't mean it's ok for me to do it.

No no no, If you go back and read some othe Dress code threads, their are folks that make it clear that the way others show up dressed in the MDR, especially on Formal Night ruins it for them!

What amuses me on here is that most posters want a line to be drawn on a dress "code", its just that they think the line should be drawn at what they feel like wearing.

Lets have no "code" at all, and I'm going to stick with T shirt, swimsuit, sweat pants, and flip flops.

The solution here is for RC to have a policy and enforce it, not a "suggested". While at it, enforce the other policies they are soft on, like chair hogging and smoking. For the vast majority of cruisers no adjustments will be needed.

Do we see letters in our newspapers from disgruntled patrons complaining about a given restaurant's dress code? - no, they just eat elsewhere. Why not do the same with cruising, if you don't like a line's policies, cruise elsewhere. Although I know some would say that RC would lose business, I'm guessing the line would be seen as more attractive to many cruisers.

That's the key! Don't allow yourself to be annoyed. It's your vacation. Why waste time getting annoyed over these things? Unless of course, you enjoy being annoyed (which I think is the case for many here).

Edited by comxkid