Suggested improvements for the dress code issues

LOL, but you saying it over and over again makes it false? Sorry, sweetie, but no... :rolleyes:

So what happened to that respect thing that was so important to you? You want people to show you respect, yet you call people who disagree with you "sweetie". Seems to me that you think respect only works one way.

CruiseTobey,

This is genious. Win/Win for everyone (even RCCL). People would pay for the priviledge of dressing up and eating a fine meal with selected members of the cruise staff and formal nights in the dining room would be eliminated.

I already pay for the privilege of dressing up and eating a "fine" meal in the MDR, it's called the cruise fare. Leave it be, I like it as it is. If you want to pay extra, go on a cruise line that caters to your needs.

My teen daughter has straight hair about half way down her back. How is she supposed to wear her hair?

She could tuck it down the back, inside of her dress and cover the rest with a baseball cap, wearing it backwards for maximum coverage.:rolleyes:

So what happened to that respect thing that was so important to you? You want people to show you respect, yet you call people who disagree with you "sweetie". Seems to me that you think respect only works one way.

See, it worked - just a demonstration that everyone feels they should be shown respect. I did that on purpose, just for that purpose - I agree its not respectful and not something I'd generally never do, but maybe I made my point? That's disrepectful to you, just as showing up ragged on formal nights is disrespectful to me - no matter how many times you repeat that its not..:)

Edited by LetsGetWet!

No no no, If you go back and read some othe Dress code threads, their are folks that make it clear that the way others show up dressed in the MDR, especially on Formal Night ruins it for them!

Well I'll admit I haven't read all the posts here, but that does seem kind of extreme.

....just as showing up ragged on formal nights is disrespectful to me...

The question that the non-conformists would like answered is...why is this considered disrespectful to you?

Edited by comxkid

That's disrepectful to you, just as showing up ragged on formal nights is disrespectful to me - no matter how many times you repeat that its not..:)

We've cruised 36 times with RCI, 9 with Princess and twice with NCL. Never seen anyone that I would describe as ragged. I've seen people dressed in sweats, shorts, jeans etc, but never ragged.

That's the key! Don't allow yourself to be annoyed. It's your vacation. Why waste time getting annoyed over these things? Unless of course, you enjoy being annoyed (which I think is the case for many here).

Oh if only it were that easy!

I was raised by strict European parents who gave me a great sense of politeness and social grace but unfortunately has also caused me to be rather intolerant of the average person's manners. It's not an extreme annoyance by any means and I still love spending time with my friends and coworkers whose manners would not please my mom, but I can't simply shut off the annoyance.

Alcohol does help a lot though.

I'm a bit conflicted about how I'm raising my boys, overall I'm teaching them more or less the same manners I was taught. The good thing is every time we have a parent-teacher conference the first thing they say is how incredibly polite they are. But I'm thinking they're going to have the same issues I do. Oh well.

BTW the hat thing comes from the Middle Ages. Removing one's helmet was a sign of trust, ie your host is not going to try to kill you. This evolved into the "hat tipping" that we used to do as a greeting. In the Middle Ages it was customary to at least briefly remove one's helmet during negotiations etc to show trust. During meals it was considered rude to continue to wear one's helmet as it meant you didn't trust your host.

Shaking hands was similar, if you are gripping each other's right hand you can't use a weapon. Initially in Roman times the grip was held for a length of time, this evolved into the brief handshake.

Like most customs that came from the nobility it was adopted by the masses around the 18th-19th century, kind of like calling everyone "Monsieur" or "madame" (literally means my lord and my lady, same word in English is "sire.")

Likewise, if your hair is long, you don't leave it loose at a dining table.
Seriously????!

faint.gif

uhhh seriously?? lmao
Pardon? I can't wear my hair down at the dining table????? Says WHO? :eek: I normally don't go waving my hair over people's plates but it is long and I DO wear it down most of the time :p
OMG. Now the fashion police are telling people what to do with their hair. Since this is a cleanliness issue for you, I assume men and women are being held to the same standard. So my hair is slightly longer than my shoulders. Does this mean I have to put it up during dinner to pass your standards? My teen daughter has straight hair about half way down her back. How is she supposed to wear her hair?

Uh oh, going to have to disown my thread now! :eek:

She could tuck it down the back, inside of her dress and cover the rest with a baseball cap, wearing it backwards for maximum coverage.:rolleyes:

Love it! :D

See, it worked - just a demonstration that everyone feels they should be shown respect. I did that on purpose, just for that purpose - I agree its not respectful and not something I'd generally never do, but maybe I made my point? That's disrepectful to you, just as showing up ragged on formal nights is disrespectful to me - no matter how many times you repeat that its not..:)

I agree that everyone wants and deserves respect. A personal comment to put me down was not necessary to make that point.

But, what you don't seem to understand that how people dress when they go to dinner is not about you. Its not disrespecting you. It has nothing to do with you unless you choose to interpret it that way. Which is quite a bit different than the comment you made to me.

We've cruised 36 times with RCI, 9 with Princess and twice with NCL. Never seen anyone that I would describe as ragged. I've seen people dressed in sweats, shorts, jeans etc, but never ragged.

Sorry, but to me sweats, shorts, tshirts and ballcaps in the MDR qualifies as ragged, by definition.

Oh if only it were that easy!

I was raised by strict European parents who gave me a great sense of politeness and social grace but unfortunately has also caused me to be rather intolerant of the average person's manners. It's not an extreme annoyance by any means and I still love spending time with my friends and coworkers whose manners would not please my mom, but I can't simply shut off the annoyance.

Alcohol does help a lot though.

I'm a bit conflicted about how I'm raising my boys, overall I'm teaching them more or less the same manners I was taught. The good thing is every time we have a parent-teacher conference the first thing they say is how incredibly polite they are. But I'm thinking they're going to have the same issues I do. Oh well.

Thanks DrD, that summarizes my feelings well. Its a matter of politeness, social graces and manners. Unfortunately, I guess everyone's right - times are changing and politeness and good manners just doesn't seem very important to many these days.

The detractors keep saying "I can't believe anyone would let this ruin their cruise, or their dinner even." Of course, no one has said or even hinted that it does, because it doesn't. But like you, I most definitely find it annoying.

BTW the hat thing comes from the Middle Ages. Removing one's helmet was a sign of trust, ie your host is not going to try to kill you. This evolved into the "hat tipping" that we used to do as a greeting. In the Middle Ages it was customary to at least briefly remove one's helmet during negotiations etc to show trust. During meals it was considered rude to continue to wear one's helmet as it meant you didn't trust your host.

Shaking hands was similar, if you are gripping each other's right hand you can't use a weapon. Initially in Roman times the grip was held for a length of time, this evolved into the brief handshake.

Like most customs that came from the nobility it was adopted by the masses around the 18th-19th century, kind of like calling everyone "Monsieur" or "madame" (literally means my lord and my lady, same word in English is "sire.")

Thanks for the history!

I agree that everyone wants and deserves respect. A personal comment to put me down was not necessary to make that point.

But, what you don't seem to understand that how people dress when they go to dinner is not about you. Its not disrespecting you. It has nothing to do with you unless you choose to interpret it that way. Which is quite a bit different than the comment you made to me.

First, I offer an apology - my action WAS disrespectful to you. Hmm, why was it disrespectful to you? Well, because... "you choose to interpret it that way." Heck, I may interpret it completely differently. In fact, if I walk into some diners here in Texas, I may be called sweetie by the waitress. Is she disrespecting me? I guess its all in how "you choose to interpret it", huh?

Refusing to adhere at least loosely to the requested/suggested dress for the evening which is clearly stated in writing by RCI IS disrespectful too. Why? Because *many* "choose to interpret it that way!" Are you going to argue that you're allowed to interpret what's disrespectful and what's not, but those you disagree with are not? That sounds like your argument.

As DrD said, its a matter of politeness, social graces and manners - in polite society. Unfortunately, like common sense I guess, that's becoming less and less common all the time, I guess.

Thanks DrD, that summarizes my feelings well. Its a matter of politeness, social graces and manners. Unfortunately, I guess everyone's right - times are changing and politeness and good manners just doesn't seem very important to many these days.

The detractors keep saying "I can't believe anyone would let this ruin their cruise, or their dinner even." Of course, no one has said or even hinted that it does, because it doesn't. But like you, I most definitely find it annoying.

Thanks for the history!

I promise that I'm just as polite and well-mannered in a tuxedo as I am in shorts or jeans. By your prior statements, you are inferring that those who do not dress in a manner that you feel is appropriate are not polite and do not have good manners. Can you understand why that annoys them?

Being polite and having good manners never goes out of style nor do they depend on what you are wearing.

Being polite and having good manners never goes out of style nor do they depend on what you are wearing.

We're going to just have to agree to disagree. I firmly believe that a part of being polite and well-mannered is adhering to proper dress. The cruise line publishes suggested dress for dinner in the MDR - good manners is not completely ignoring those just because "I can wear whatever I want to wear and no one is going to tell me any different!" THAT attitude is definitely impolite and bad manners...

Refusing to adhere at least loosely to the requested/suggested dress for the evening which is clearly stated in writing by RCI IS disrespectful too. Why? Because *many* "choose to interpret it that way!" Are you going to argue that you're allowed to interpret what's disrespectful and what's not, but those you disagree with are not? That sounds like your argument.

What do you mean by "loosely"? As many have stated, suggested is not a requirement, so why is it considered disrespectful? The website tells me that I will need sunscreen. If i don't wear sunscreen, am I being disrespectful?

Respect is a powerful word. In my opinion, respect must be earned before being freely given. We should also respect the fact that we all have opinions. Just because someone doesn't share your opinion or interprets something differently than you do, does not mean that they are disrespecting you.

What do you mean by "loosely"? As many have stated, suggested is not a requirement, so why is it considered disrespectful? The website tells me that I will need sunscreen. If i don't wear sunscreen, am I being disrespectful?

Respect is a powerful word. In my opinion, respect must be earned before being freely given. We should also respect the fact that we all have opinions. Just because someone doesn't share your opinion or interprets something differently than you do, does not mean that they are disrespecting you.

If you go to a funeral and you show up in shorts and a logo tee shirt, are you being disrespectful? After, there was no "REQUIRED" dress code stated... I'd argue you most definitely are - but I guess you'd maintain you aren't, because there was no stated REQUIRED dress. In *my* opinion, that would definitely be disrespectful - and I'll argue that anyone who claims its not is inconsiderate and ill-mannered - at best!

Edited by LetsGetWet!

We're going to just have to agree to disagree. I firmly believe that a part of being polite and well-mannered is adhering to proper dress. The cruise line publishes suggested dress for dinner in the MDR - good manners is not completely ignoring those just because "I can wear whatever I want to wear and no one is going to tell me any different!" THAT attitude is definitely impolite and bad manners...

I can live with that. However, the attitude that I have my beliefs and that anything contrary to them is disrespectful (or ragged) is equally inpolite and not an example of good manners.

I will close with the wisdom of En Vogue...free your mind and the rest will follow.

"We're going to just have to agree to disagree. I firmly believe that a part of being polite and well-mannered is adhering to proper dress. The cruise line publishes suggested dress for dinner in the MDR - good manners is not completely ignoring those just because "I can wear whatever I want to wear and no one is going to tell me any different!" THAT attitude is definitely impolite and bad manners..."

Personally I think you're just looking for an argument. Are you really that passionate over a cruise lines dress SUGGESTION? If you are then I think its time to look elsewhere, and don't look at Celebrity, I saw plenty people in Jeans on formal night on the Eclipse. The other thing most of us are cruising the HOT Caribbean, for vacation and relaxation, who wants to get all dressed up, eat, then go straight back to the cabin and change?

Like most everyone else on here, we've cruised regularly and yes we used to wear tux's, not anymore. Its my vacation and me wearing slacks with a Polo shirt on formal night should in no way mean I'm not being polite, respectful, or well mannered to you or the cruiseline. :cool:

Edited by whitshel

I can live with that. However, the attitude that I have my beliefs and that anything contrary to them is disrespectful (or ragged) is equally inpolite and not an example of good manners.

I will close with the wisdom of En Vogue...free your mind and the rest will follow.

If it was simply "my beliefs" you would be absolutely correct. In this case, its not - its the published cruise line dress code, whether or not its "mandatory" or not. If you go to someone else's home and they say "we prefer you don't put your feet on the coffee table", is it fine to go ahead and do so, because although they stated their preferences, they didn't make it mandatory and that's not in line with "your beliefs" and what you might do at home??