Suggested improvements for the dress code issues

I have asked this about 100 times. What is the big issue with people NOT being dressed up in formal wear, suit, whatever. What is the problem with someone wearing clean jeans, clean t shirt in the MDR on formal night. From the responses I constantly get is that it ruins the mood, it ruins the ambiance, and the best is Formal night is the night to be classy. But I can never get a serious legitimate answer. How does someone not being dressed up affect YOUR dinner. I equate it to formal night is a night of lets play dress up and pretend we are somewhere classy. The MDR on Royal Caribbean IS NOT CLASSY. If you want classy go on Holland, Celebrity, Queen Mary. I find most defenders of the Dress Code rather rude and pretentious,basically your standard cruise snob. Such as saying if someone isn't dressed up they should have to go to the windjammer or elsewhere. If I am at table, as long as the people have good hygiene and aren't aholes. I don't care what they wear. And please please people stop referring to the ahole CEO as Adam like you are longtime BFF's it make you sound like a dumbass.

You keep calling it a dress code. As you even said in your original post, its a dress suggestion. No more no less. ...zoom?uname=105216578532594200082&aid=5545967280151014529&id=5977132281066526994&viewportWidth=320&viewportHeight=416

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Well... Adam Goldstein at RCI - you know, that guy who's title says "CEO" - calls it their dress code. And I think what he says counts for just a little bit more than what you say. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I'm afarid it's a sign of our times where people don't really care about respect,traditions, etc. The priest at our parish has constantly reminded folks, especially in the summer, to not show up to mass in biker shorts and tank tops with their hooters hanging out, as as sign of respect for the sarced space. He has also refused to perform weddings where bridesmaid dresses were better suited for a brothel. My point is, there are plenty of places to eat on the ship if you want to remain casual. If others want to enjoy a night of formal to semi-formal atmosphere, then that time should be reserved for them. it's not always everything for everybody regardless of the situation when there are acceptable alturnatives for all.

I wear a shirt and a Tie and dress pants on formal night and the rest of the night I wear my dress pants or casual pants wiht a gofl shirt...

i used to wear a jacket but it takes up too much space with only having three suitcases :) plus my size 13 Dress shoes are like boats lol

I have been Guilty of wearing shorts before with my nice dress sandles... Nice golf shorts with a dress shirt..

Edited by trev71

I find most defenders of the Dress Code rather rude and pretentious,basically your standard cruise snob.

And please please people stop referring to the ahole CEO as Adam like you are longtime BFF's it make you sound like a dumbass.

Haha! And then we have the guy claiming others are rude and pretentious while being Exhibit A himself, referring to the RCI CEO as an "ahole" and calling others "dumbass." Pretty funny! :)

The incentive is not likely to work because then you will have arguments about what qualifies, even if *you* think the rules are cut and dry. The last thing Royal wants is people arguing in the dining room because their chosen attire doesn't qualify them for the incentive.

This is the same reason why I think they included e-cigs in the smoking ban, as they can't have crew members spending time hearing people argue that x is banned but y is not, or people confused that e-cigs are not regular cigs and complaining to crew members about people using them thinking they are "smoking".

I personally could care less what people wear, so long as they aren't being a jacka**. When I'm eating dinner I'm more focused on the food and company than I am what others are wearing. Life (and vacation in particular) is too short for me to be bothered by things like that.

Disclaimer: I wear at least a shirt and tie on formal nights, and polo shirts the rest of the evenings. Not the fanciest on the boat, but presentable enough to keep my wife happy.

This is the same reason why I think they included e-cigs in the smoking ban, as they can't have crew members spending time hearing people argue that x is banned but y is not, or people confused that e-cigs are not regular cigs and complaining to crew members about people using them thinking they are "smoking".

I knew the subject of smoking was going to enter into this thread. :D

OK, I think I may have come across as thinking EVERYONE should be forced to wear tuxes for Formal Nights, and that's most certainly not the case.

As it stands now, there is obviously a very poorly enforced and unevenly enforced dress code which makes it pretty much a farce. Many have said that shorts, tee shirts and ball caps are not allowed - but I don't think that's actually stated anywhere in writing by RCI and many have seen others let in with that attire. All that's there is the suggested/requested attire, which on Formal Nights for men is either a tux or a dark suit & tie.

If I were Adam (I'm obviously not!) here's what I think I'd do:

• Keep the current requested/suggested dress code statements pretty much as is
  • Add - for Formal Nights - a "minimally acceptable" dress code and I'd suggest that that be slacks & collared dress shirt for men.
  • Add a list of items prohibited in the MDR any evening - shorts, jeans, t shirts, flip flops, ball caps.
  • Then actually ENFORCE the above uniformly!
  • (Suggested by someone else on Adam's blog) possibly offer a small incentive - a free drink or a free 5x7 photo per couple or similar - for everyone on Formal Night who's dressed according to the requested/suggested code. A carrot is better than a stick!

Thoughts? Reasonable?

Sounds reasonable but you hit the main issue when you mentioned the word ENFORCE. Its like the chair hog issue - never enforced. But, other than that I think what you posted is reasonable.

Thoughts? Reasonable?

Most of us here are regular cruisers so we know what the dining room experience is and isn't.

To me the biggest issue involves those new to cruising. When you look at the website, it certainly does give the impression that you are expected to dress a certain way (regardless of whether or not you call it a "code"). I think the website should reflect what is actually expected so that people have a better idea of what to pack.

We cruised on another line that has no formal nights. However at 6 PM no jeans are allowed in public areas. We had just returned from an excursion and we were having a drink in the bar. At 6:10 we were approached and asked to change. I appreciate that they were trying to maintain a certain atmosphere in the evening.

They also enforced no caps. At every meal.

There are reasons that certain dress is expected at certain events. I would be disappointed if someone showed up at my daughter's wedding wearing jeans and a t shirt. I wouldn't consider not allowing them to attend and if they mentioned it I'm sure I would say it was fine (because that is the polite thing to do).

I don't usually weigh in on these Dress Code threads, and I certainly don't attack new cruisers when they legitimately ask questions:eek: But I'm replying because I think you've made a reasoned post about some interesting ideas. I think your idea of "carrot" is far better than "enforce". Any rule that doesn't involve safety is difficult to "enforce" without discouraging/angering/disappointing the very people they want to make happy, so it's at cross purposes with what the cruise line wants to do; make passengers happy and want to cruise again. if they go home with a memory of a Maitre d sending them home like some disapproving middle school principal; they aren't going to be in a hurry to book again.;) That's why the carrot idea is a good one; by providing a little incentive, people might participate, but it still doesn't solve the problem of the people who wish to be surrounded by other people dressed like them, since some might still not participate.

My solution has been to have separate dining rooms or sections for "dressed" and "come as you are" (obviously there are dress levels at which safety comes into play for safety/sanitary reasons, such as shoes or shirts); or make MTD a "dress up optional" venue. That way people who need other people to be dressed like them would have a section of others who feel that way and would never get stuck next to someone that isn't dressed up, since it bothers them. Other folks could be in the other section dressed however they like (tux or tees) and since they don't care, it won't matter. :D

Of course, in the end there is no reason for Royal Caribbean to do ANYTHING because this is only a CC problem, not an actual on board problem. I've never heard anyone complain about what someone else is wearing on board and if people are sitting quietly horrified, it's not keeping them from booking more cruises; so from Royals point of view why would they bother??:confused:

Well... Adam Goldstein at RCI - you know, that guy who's title says "CEO" - calls it their dress code. And I think what he says counts for just a little bit more than what you say. ;)

As the cruise line CEO I am confident that Mr. Goldstein has contracts cross his desk on several occasions weekly if not daily, and fully understands the importance of the wording on those. When he makes the decision to change the wording on the cruise compass as well as the web page from SUGGESTED to required or mandatory, then that is when I will see this dress code differently. The few times I have gone to the MDR for dinner I have not observed the t-shirt, shorts issue again perhaps it is because I generally go for the longer cruises and appears to be an older group. For now however my wife suggests I stop trying to change the fashion police opinion. :D

Heh, I couldn't help it. Any change they make has to be cut and dry or it is a nightmare for the crew to enforce.

As we all know with chair hogs, enforcing rules can be difficult enough as it is even when they are cut and dry. The minute they introduce rules that are even potentially up for interpretation, things would get ugly quick.

While thankfully small in numbers, the truth is that every boat has passengers who feel that their point of view is the only one, and everyone else just has to be wrong. This is why these rules have to be very specific, or "recommendations" such as they are with the dress code.

I knew the subject of smoking was going to enter into this thread. :D

I do not understand why anyone cares what anyone else is wearing.

If you got to a land based resort, do you go around criticizing the dress of the people there?

People are on vacation and are dressing the way they feel comfortable on vacation. This is not a wedding or a funeral. It is dinner on vacation. I understand that some people like playing dress up, but I don't know why they feel that everyone else must do it too. And it has nothing to do with respect. I am getting tired of reading that assertion. Just because you say it over and over doesn't make it true.

Of course, in the end there is no reason for Royal Caribbean to do ANYTHING because this is only a CC problem, not an actual on board problem. I've never heard anyone complain about what someone else is wearing on board and if people are sitting quietly horrified, it's not keeping them from booking more cruises; so from Royals point of view why would they bother??:confused:

Good post. But, I'd point out that stating it but then NOT enforcing it ALSO pisses off a segment of those they're trying to please - and as someone else mentioned, it's likely the first time cruisers who come away confused & possibly disenchanted with it.

It's not just a CC problem either, Adam Goldstein stated that he had received enough letters complaining that he felt the need to address the issue in his online blog. Unfortunately, his posting was every bit as wishy-washy as on-board enforcement of the policy is!

......Those in tux or dark suit & tie get a free drink. Of course, similarly for women...

WOW, talk about opening a BIG can of worms! It's an interesting idea to offer incentives for the guys to wear a tux or a dark suit & tie but how in the world are the cruise ship staff going to decide if a women's Formal wear is Formal enough. Are they going to carry tape measures to see if the dress length is long or short enough? Who's going to determine if there's enough cleavage or too much cleavage? And who's going to tell some lovely lady that her dress actually make her look like a whore? Man, there's not enough danger pay on the planet to get me to take that job.!!:eek:

We're certainly not the most experienced cruisers (11) and one coming up in March. This forum certainly helped us but also confused us a little as well, especially this topic. To Tux or not to Tux, that was the question:-).

For our first 8 cruises I always did the tux thing and the DW dressed to the 9s for formal night. We've gotten to where we prefer smart casual attire now and have gone to the MDR and Windjammer on formal nights on our more recent cruises. Didn't feel uncomfortable at either venue wearing dress slacks and collared shirt and neither did our table mates (we asked them).

On one of our early cruises, two of our table mates were college girls taking their first cruise. As we were talking they told us they wouldn't see us for dinner the following night because it was "formal" night and they didn't have any "fancy" clothing. My DW and I convinced them that their attire, casual dress and slacks, they were wearing then could certainly be worn on formal night and encouraged them NOT to miss formal night dinner in the MDR because of their attire. They were uneasy about it because of all the things they also read regarding dress attire on this web site. They even said they didn't want to be "flamed" for their casual dress :-).

Long story short, they attended and we all had a great time. I have eaten with people way more dressed than us and eaten with a man in jeans and shirt in the MDR. Neither choice made a bit of difference to us because it's not the clothes that make the man (woman) it's their personality and demeanor.

A suggested attire is NOT a rule that can be enforced. As others have said it is ONLY a suggestion. If RCI wishes to have it different, they can certainly change their literature and place wording that will "require" certain attire at certain dining venues or days. They won't (and in MHO) they shouldn't. They have gone mass market and the more restrictions you place on your customers, the less business you'll have.

I'll take a pleasant and enjoyable table mate dressed in jeans and a T-shirt as opposed to an obnoxious, self centered snob dressed in tails and tux ANY day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I equate it to formal night is a night of lets play dress up and pretend we are somewhere classy. The MDR on Royal Caribbean IS NOT CLASSY. If you want classy go on Holland, Celebrity, Queen Mary. I find most defenders of the Dress Code rather rude and pretentious,basically your standard cruise snob. Such as saying if someone isn't dressed up they should have to go to the windjammer or elsewhere. If I am at table, as long as the people have good hygiene and aren't aholes. I don't care what they wear. And please please people stop referring to the ahole CEO as Adam like you are longtime BFF's it make you sound like a dumbass.

Rude and pretentious? I'm not a defender but have you taken a look in the mirror?

Thoughts? Reasonable?

I haven't read the responses. My thought is this thread will go on way too long, accomplish nothing, and be a complete waste of storage space on the CC servers.:rolleyes:

But I guess we were due for the weekly dress code thread...............

Edited by bouhunter

I haven't read the responses. My thought is this thread will go on way too long, accomplish nothing, and be a complete waste of storage space on the CC servers.:rolleyes:

But I guess we were due for the weekly dress code thread...............

Don't call it a code....it's a suggested guideline. Just kidding.

Let's move on to more fun topics....what about that norovirus outbreak?

Edited by comxkid

I think everyone acknowledges that there is no mandatory dress code.

So if everyone acknowledges it than why can't they just accept it and move on ?

Acknowledgment and Acceptance are always one in the same.

Edited by xxoocruiser