Suggested improvements for the dress code issues

DrD,

I understand your point and generally live by those guidelines. But should we routinely ask one group of people to do something to please another group of people on something as insignificant as this? Why is it group #1's responsibility alter its behavior to please group #2?. Is Group #2 more important in some way? You can be annoyed only if you allow yourself to be annoyed.

I would reply (wait I am replying) that the thing we are asking the group to do is easy. Is it so hard to bring a few pair of decent pants, shirts, and maybe a tie? Is it really that tough to take 10 minutes to change?

I could see your point if for example we tried to have a "no facial hair at dinner" rule, but this one is simple.

Again, I don't think is reasonable to expect people to dress to the nines, but half-way decent clothes on formal night especially is not a huge request.

You forgot to hit the expand button at dictionary.com.

The next one in the list is:

6. in a wild or neglected state: a ragged garden.

Generally this type of dress is considered "neglected" in that the person neglects their appearance or neglects to change.

To look at neglect:

1. to pay no attention or too little attention to; disregard or slight: The public neglected his genius for many years.

2. to be remiss in the care or treatment of: to neglect one's family; to neglect one's appearance.

3. to omit, through indifference or carelessness: to neglect to reply to an invitation.

4. to fail to carry out or perform (orders, duties, etc.): to neglect the household chores.

5. to fail to take or use: to neglect no precaution.

Your move, Bond ;)

Regarding your bold print and previous post. It appears you think wearing shorts, a t-shirt and ball cap indicate that person pays little or no attention to their clothing and neglects their appearance.

Thom Browne seersucker shorts = $1,495

Kayne West white t-shirt = $120

Just Don python bill ball cap = $695

TOTAL = $2,310 :eek:

Just curious...how much did your precious tux cost.

I would reply (wait I am replying) that the thing we are asking the group to do is easy. Is it so hard to bring a few pair of decent pants, shirts, and maybe a tie? Is it really that tough to take 10 minutes to change?

I could see your point if for example we tried to have a "no facial hair at dinner" rule, but this one is simple.

Again, I don't think is reasonable to expect people to dress to the nines, but half-way decent clothes on formal night especially is not a huge request.

But the other side is saying that the thing they are asking the group to do is easy. Don't be so judgmental. As long was we are not wearing shorts, bathing suits, t-shirts, and hats, don't accuse us of being disrespectful or call us names. We wear a tie 5 days a day, 50 weeks a year. We're on vacation. What's so disrespectful about my collared shirt and decent pants. I'm in the Caribbean for gosh sakes. We're not purposely trying to annoy anyone.

You forgot to hit the expand button at dictionary.com.

The next one in the list is:

6. in a wild or neglected state: a ragged garden.

Generally this type of dress is considered "neglected" in that the person neglects their appearance or neglects to change.

To look at neglect:

1. to pay no attention or too little attention to; disregard or slight: The public neglected his genius for many years.

2. to be remiss in the care or treatment of: to neglect one's family; to neglect one's appearance.

3. to omit, through indifference or carelessness: to neglect to reply to an invitation.

4. to fail to carry out or perform (orders, duties, etc.): to neglect the household chores.

5. to fail to take or use: to neglect no precaution.

Your move, Bond ;)

I guess you could say that the people neglected to meet the standard as you interpret them, but ragged as applied to a person's dress implies, at least to me, an appearance of torn, unkept clothing.

Wearing sweats, shorts etc, could possibly be attributed to that person's neglect to meet your view of the "code", but certainly not ragged.

Back to you Dr No, sorry, DrD.

I will happily answer. All of the formal dinner invitations that I have received typically state that black tie is "required" or that the dress "code" is jacket and tie. So I would dress as required. The invitations generally leave out the word "suggested" due to it vague interpretation.

I'm not going to let you off the hook that easy! I have gotten invitations where they read "cocktail attire requested" or "black tie requested." You say the ones you've received "typically" don't say that. But now lets say you do get one worded that way - which is of course very similar to RCI's wording. Would you even consider showing up in blue jeans and tee shirt? Would you feel someone who DID was being disrespectful or inconsiderate?

I'm not going to let you off the hook that easy! I have gotten invitations where they read "cocktail attire requested" or "black tie requested." You say the ones you've received "typically" don't say that. But now lets say you do get one worded that way - which is of course very similar to RCI's wording. Would you even consider showing up in blue jeans and tee shirt? Would you feel someone who DID was being disrespectful or inconsiderate?

If it were "requested", I would dress the part.

But according to a dictionary:

Suggest - Refer something for consideration.

Request - To ask politely for something.

Require - Make something necessary.

RCCL does not say "request" or "require".

Edited by comxkid

We wear a tie 5 days a day, 50 weeks a year. We're on vacation. What's so disrespectful about my collared shirt and decent pants. I'm in the Caribbean for gosh sakes. We're not purposely trying to annoy anyone.

Exactly, that's what vacations should be about. Wear your collared shirt, for the life of me I can't understand how people feel disrespected by what people wear. It baffles my mind. I dress casually all year round, so we enjoy getting all dressed up on a cruise. To each his own. I didn't even know it was an issue until I joined CC. It definitely isn't an issue on the ships.

I sit here in my jeans and plaid shirt watching the snow fall outside, think I'll watch a DVD of one of our cruises, enjoy the sunshine and see how great Moneypenny looked in her evening gowns.

It is clear to me now, and should be so to others, that Wet's purpose on this board is purely to stir the pot. Ignore him (or her) and he (or she) will go away.

In the meantime, those who choose not to dress formally keep right on doing it - RCL doesn't care. The rest will have to eventually accept it or move on.

If it were "requested", I would dress the part.

But according to a dictionary:

Suggest - Refer something for consideration.

Request - To ask politely for something.

Require - Make something necessary.

RCCL does not say "request" or "require".

And what does your dictionary says when it "asks" you to "observe these easy guidelines" because that's part of RCCL's wording also.

It is clear to me now, and should be so to others, that Wet's purpose on this board is purely to stir the pot. Ignore him (or her) and he (or she) will go away.

In the meantime, those who choose not to dress formally keep right on doing it - RCL doesn't care. The rest will have to eventually accept it or move on.

That post is the definition of "stir the pot" but I won't stoop to your level and respond in similar character. Have a good day! :rolleyes:

And what does your dictionary says when it "asks" you to "observe these easy guidelines" because that's part of RCCL's wording also.

You mean this part?

"We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men.

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

You'll need comfortable walking shoes, as well as a hat and sunscreen for protection from the sun."

Still says "suggested" and the word "need" implies suggested as it is used to describe the "need" for comrfortable walking shoes, a hat, and sunscreen.

Still not enough for me to tell someone how they should dress in light of RCCL's enforcement policies.

Really....does anyone really care what anyone else is wearing? To be quite honest, I don't pay that much attention to anyone but my own party...and I'm pretty sure most (but apparently, not all!) folks do the same!

The folks who choose NOT to dress formally are the ones who must feel "out of place"...not those who do make the effort on designated "formal" nights.

Jeez, folks! As long as people aren't parading around in their underwear, who cares?

amen brother! give it a rest folks.

In no way can any cruise line define what is formal or not, especially for women, men it is easy. I agree that the dress for the MDR should be a little more strict, but deciding what that dress attire would be in a PITA for many reason. Also, some one mentioned Celebrity as a more classy ship, NOT, we were on the Eclipse for Christmas cruise and dress was not a whole lot better, if any, than RC.

Here is my suggestion to RC for a real change, and I have said this before.

Have a section in the MDR for an up charge, that formal dressers or black suit and tie people could book to be seated in. Maybe even a little better food for formal nights or even better service. The special dress section could be flexible according to the demand, by moveable screens.

I'm not a formal dresser, but I/we always look good/better on formal nights, but never formal, that is and has never been our life style and we are retired professionals.

Well... Adam Goldstein at RCI - you know, that guy who's title says "CEO" - calls it their dress code. And I think what he says counts for just a little bit more than what you say. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Mr. Goldstein could certainly have them correct the wording on the compass and instruct the maitre d' to enforce his dress code. since that is not the fact then one assumes he cares more about the profit then the dress code.

Mr. Goldstein could certainly have them correct the wording on the compass and instruct the maitre d' to enforce his dress code. since that is not the fact then one assumes he cares more about the profit then the dress code.

I can't imagine you getting any argument on that... ;)

You mean this part?

"We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men.

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

You'll need comfortable walking shoes, as well as a hat and sunscreen for protection from the sun."

Still says "suggested" and the word "need" implies suggested as it is used to describe the "need" for comrfortable walking shoes, a hat, and sunscreen.

Still not enough for me to tell someone how they should dress in light of RCCL's enforcement policies.

on our Nov Serenade cruise seated close to us were a table of oriental folks all decked is what I assume to be traditional formal wear for them are you going to bust them and say tux's only? how about military mess dress or kilts?

Exactly! Mr. Goldstein has Shareholders he has to answer to and the shareholders main concern is "The Bottom Line"! Mr Goldstein's insstructions is to run the company and keep it profitable!

I'm going to make it a lot more "the same thing." You receive an invitation from friends for a "formal dinner party" and part of the invitation reads:

"Suggested attire for the evening: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women"

Would you show up at their door in jeans and a polo shirt and claim that you're not being disrespectful at all, that's just how you choose to dress and that should be your decision?

* Yes, I took the "suggested" phrasing along with the wording for the attire straight from the RCI website to provide best similarity.

first if I'm having a formal dinner party and have to include dressing suggestions then I'm inviting the wrong folks.

if it's truly a 'formal' party then dark suits and cocktail dresses are a no, no.. as they are NOT formal wear. they would be suitable for a cocktail party.