Suggested improvements for the dress code issues

The cruise lines just do a terrible job of enforcing the rules! I would prefer an enforced dress code like OP stated but I just know it would not be enforced.

No, I don't think that an enforced dress code would work, beyond no baseball caps, swimwear, tank tops, or shorts in the mdr at night.

Resort casual should be ok any night, even on formal night. Just my 2 cents worth.

I never cease to be amazed at how many people care about what other people wear to dinner. I have been to several of the top establishments in the country (according to some of the rating services). I have seen the hoity-toity recognition plaques on the walls by the door. In EVERY ONE of them I have also seen men dining in jeans and a polos and women in jeans, blouses and boots.

Some of you really need to get over yourself with the dress code. It is suggested. Besides, lets be honest with the POSSIBLE exception of the specialty restaurants (have never ate in them) nothing I have seen even comes close to 4 stars. The surroundings are nice, but I have seen better, and the food MIGHT make it to the 3 star level.

I am sure there have been a hundred threads on this subject, and all are right, and all are wrong. The fact is this, if there are hard and fast rules that are enforced, like no jeans or shorts in the specialty restaurants, then that is what people will adhere to in order to eat there. But if they are suggestions, some people will stretch the rules to the limits.

Our first few cruises, we dressed up in tux and dresses on formal nights, but lately we have found it OK to dress in Khakis, button-up shirts and nice clothing for the women. Our dress affects NOONE else, and their dress affects me ZERO. we simply enjoy our meal and leave.

In the past, everyone dressed up to travel, most every man wore a tie to work, but things have changed, things have become more casual, whether we think it good or bad. I say wear what makes YOU comfortable within the RULES, not other peoples perception, and have FUN!

Our next cruise in March happens to be our first on Disney, and they allow shorts now, per their rules, and I will make use of that rule, and yes, they will be nice ironed khaki shorts, and we will all be happy. :D:D

Once NCL did away with Formal Night, calling it Dress up or Not Night, and allowed jeans in the MDR in the evenings, these threads all but disappeared on their board.

I'd go along with the 1st 4 points, but don't think the incentive is needed since it is only a few that show up looking like slobs.

The incentive is that you get in!, if not you can wear your backward cap at the WJ.

When I was a police officer I was working at the desk when a grown man (not a kid) came in with a backwards ballcap. I told him to turn it around, he couldn't possibly be as stupid as that made him look. Then he began to talk to me. You know, he was that stupid!

Just a little anecdote.

Elvis

When I was a police officer I was working at the desk when a grown man (not a kid) came in with a backwards ballcap. I told him to turn it around, he couldn't possibly be as stupid as that made him look. Then he began to talk to me. You know, he was that stupid!

Just a little anecdote.

Elvis

Great story! LOL!

Just a little anecdote.

Elvis

Was he this guy?

cap_backwards.jpg.1ebd630e912b86f3b40f75bd5e5041d3.jpg

Dress codes are really nothing more than asking that you show "respect". Formal night, whan the majority of people are wearing a jacket in tie, you should not be "disrespectful" and show up with a t-shirt and baseball cap.

Those that say, they don't care, are usually also those that dress based on the "I don't care" rule.

Baseball caps, or any hat, is a sign of disrespect at dinner. Why do you need to wear a hat at dinner? Something wrong? Hiding something? If that is the case, than maybe, but unless you have something to hide, don't wear it to dinner at any time.

Today's society is all about "ME" and not about respect. This debate will continue until respect is brougnt back into our lives.

Dress codes are really nothing more than asking that you show "respect". Formal night, whan the majority of people are wearing a jacket in tie, you should not be "disrespectful" and show up with a t-shirt and baseball cap.

Those that say, they don't care, are usually also those that dress based on the "I don't care" rule.

Baseball caps, or any hat, is a sign of disrespect at dinner. Why do you need to wear a hat at dinner? Something wrong? Hiding something? If that is the case, than maybe, but unless you have something to hide, don't wear it to dinner at any time.

Today's society is all about "ME" and not about respect. This debate will continue until respect is brougnt back into our lives.

That pretty much says it all! :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Have you ever been on a cruise out of Texas? There are a lot of hats worn on formal nights. Not real sure that they are hiding anything.

Who am I respecting if I choose to wear a tuxedo? I thought I was wearing one to look nice for myself. Does that mean that I'm only wearing it because I care only about "me".

Edited by comxkid

OK, I think I may have come across as thinking EVERYONE should be forced to wear tuxes for Formal Nights, and that's most certainly not the case.

As it stands now, there is obviously a very poorly enforced and unevenly enforced dress code which makes it pretty much a farce. Many have said that shorts, tee shirts and ball caps are not allowed - but I don't think that's actually stated anywhere in writing by RCI and many have seen others let in with that attire. All that's there is the suggested/requested attire, which on Formal Nights for men is either a tux or a dark suit & tie.

If I were Adam (I'm obviously not!) here's what I think I'd do:

• Keep the current requested/suggested dress code statements pretty much as is
  • Add - for Formal Nights - a "minimally acceptable" dress code and I'd suggest that that be slacks & collared dress shirt for men.
  • Add a list of items prohibited in the MDR any evening - shorts, jeans, t shirts, flip flops, ball caps.
  • Then actually ENFORCE the above uniformly!
  • (Suggested by someone else on Adam's blog) possibly offer a small incentive - a free drink or a free 5x7 photo per couple or similar - for everyone on Formal Night who's dressed according to the requested/suggested code. A carrot is better than a stick!

Thoughts? Reasonable?

What a good idea. If people don't want to dress up - there are other places to eat. A more dress up night is part of and I think adds to the "cruise experience". I don't mean tux and a long gown necessarily. I worst I saw was on Celebrity when a family came in one night dressed down even to bare feet(maybe a fast food sign of no shoes, no shirt, no service sign is needed)! They were asked to leave.

Have you ever been on a cruise out of Texas? There are a lot of hats worn on formal nights. Not real sure that they are hiding anything.

Who am I respecting if I choose to wear a tuxedo? I thought I was wearing one to look nice for myself. Does that mean that I'm only wearing it because I care only about "me".

I am from cowboy country and no man wears his hat if steps over the threshold of the house. Real cowboys vs "drugstore cowboys"? I don't object to the snakeskin boots being worn!

I've lived in Texas for a little over 35 years, and own a Stetson beaver western hat for winter & a straw for summer. I assure you that a gentleman understands that the hat comes off at the dinner table.

Just a little anecdote.

Elvis

WOW! Really????? This takes fashion policing to a whole different level! WOW!

We have been cruising since the 1980's, as I've mentioned in previous posts, along with the changes I have seen in how people dress.

When I think about cruising (which I do all the time) I stop to realize how fortunate I am to be able to cruise. I know many people who would love to cruise but may never have the means to do so.

Maybe the casual pants and polo shirt are someones dress clothes, maybe that person saved for years to go on their one and only cruise. Maybe some people can't afford to spent hundreds of dollars on checked luggage.

Having a Granddaughter who at the age of three will have her third open heart surgery this summer, I guess I have a different perspective on whats important.

I wish everyone a great day and a cruise in your future.

I've lived in Texas for a little over 35 years, and own a Stetson beaver western hat for winter & a straw for summer. I assure you that a gentleman understands that the hat comes off at the dinner table.

So this is inappropriate for formal night?

thCAUPO5M9.jpg.158494770e8adc0f3bbe4931e8a5c254.jpg

We have been cruising since the 1980's, as I've mentioned in previous posts, along with the changes I have seen in how people dress.

When I think about cruising (which I do all the time) I stop to realize how fortunate I am to be able to cruise. I know many people who would love to cruise but may never have the means to do so.

Maybe the casual pants and polo shirt are someones dress clothes, maybe that person saved for years to go on their one and only cruise. Maybe some people can't afford to spent hundreds of dollars on checked luggage.

Having a Granddaughter who at the age of three will have her third open heart surgery this summer, I guess I have a different perspective on whats important.

I wish everyone a great day and a cruise in your future.

I think that's an excellent point. At the price point for many cabins is so low it is an affordable vacation option for many people.

That being said, all the more reason to change the wording on the website. It doesn't make sense for a family to worry about somehow obtaining "formal" wear (and some people will do that) only to find out that it really isn't necessary.

And you have my very best wishes for a full recovery for your granddaughter.

Edited by galavant3

I also live in Texas and I have never seen a man wear a cowboy hat at dinner. I can't think of a reason why someone would want to wear a cowboy hat while they ate....unless I guess they were eating outside and the sun was bright.

I think that's an excellent point. At the price point for many cabins is so low it is an affordable vacation option for many people.

That being said, all the more reason to change the wording on the website. It doesn't make sense for a family to worry about somehow obtaining "formal" wear (and some people will do that) only to find out that it really isn't necessary.

This is the crux of my position. As is, the current policy is too vague and unenforceable. The so-called "dress code police" are in a no win position based on the information presented on the website, but they continue to present their opinions as facts. If that doesn't work, words such as "disrespecful" and "slob" start entering the debate. This basically inflames the other side and we have one of those threads again.

If this was truly a concern for RCCL, it would have been addressed by now. They have plenty of actual "rules".

So this is inappropriate for formal night?

Completely appropriate, but the hat comes off when you sit down for dinner. And I'll guarantee that in most social circles in Texas, if you don't have enough "couth" to take it off at the dinner table, you'll be politely asked to do so by one of the other gentlemen at the table.

I also live in Texas and I have never seen a man wear a cowboy hat at dinner. I can't think of a reason why someone would want to wear a cowboy hat while they ate....unless I guess they were eating outside and the sun was bright.

But would you ban this guy from formal night if he didn't take off the hat like a proper cowboy?

thCAUPO5M9.jpg.fa991d39bb1aadc9c374360a5b6ce8e6.jpg

Edited by comxkid

I'm old school and that is just how we were brought up....No hats at the table, I don't care what kind it was. Even when I got grown, I better not had even thought about wearing a hat at my mother's table...Heck I don't even put my elbows on the table!

As I stated earlier, how you like to dress for dinner on vacation has nothing to do with respect. Saying it over and over again does not make it true.

The problem on this website (not on the cruise) is that some people try to impose their views on others by telling them they are not being respectful! How's that for irony? As you stated, maybe we should bring respect back into our lives.:rolleyes:

But would you ban this guy from formal night if he didn't take off the hat like a proper cowboy?

My guess, and I could be wrong, is that he would be asked to remove his hat when he entered the dining room. I have seen men asked to remove baseball caps so I can't see how this would be any different.