Carnival Confiscated my Mini-Medical Tool.

Flatland

We boarded the Valor on 1/26/14 in San Juan. I went to leave the ship to get some water at the local CVS and my card going thru security gave a message to go to the luggage sorting area to have my suitcase opened. I thought that was odd until I remembered I had 4-inch Buck-knife in my daypack inside my suitcase. That knife has been in that same pack for over 15 years. That is all I thought might have been a problem. Why now? I’ve had that same knife on nearly all of my Carnival cruises.

I went off of the ship and met with 2 security screeners that said they found something in my suitcase and wanted me present while they opened it. They opened my suitcase and said they saw on their scanner that I had a “Leatherman” tool. They looked thru the contents and didn’t find a “Leatherman” but did find the 4-inch knife. They said the knife was OK since it was 4 inches or less.

They scanned the suitcase again and said they still see a “Leatherman”. They still couldn’t find it when looking again. To save time and to be helpful, I opened an interior pocket inside my daypack and pulled out a 2-inch folded medical tool. This little tool has ½ inch mini-pliers for bottle caps, ½ inch scissors, a 1-inch blade and removable tweezers. I bought it at my family pharmacy almost 15 years ago and it has been on every cruise with me since.

I use the tool to open medicine bottle caps and to puncture the foil film every morning due to arthritis in my hands and I also custom cut a bandage and pad with the mini scissors due to a chronic injury to my leg.

When I handed the tool to the 2 security screeners they giggled about how small the tool was. I explained to them I have taken it on all of my recent cruises on Carnival (and Holland and NCL) but this is the first time I haven’t carried it in my carry-on. Carnival has looked at this mini-tool many times in the past and always passed it thru with me. Well, not this time!

It didn’t matter to them what I used it for. They continued to go on at length that this is a ”multi-tool” just as is any other “Leatherman”. I was told I was not allowed to take it on-board – “… no exceptions for any reason.” When it was clear they were not going to allow me to take it with me. I asked if I could at least get it back when I returned to Puerto Rico. They said no. Once I leave security, I do not have any opportunity to get it back. That is the way it went! To rub salt in my wound (no pun intended), they giggled more when I was walking away with my suitcase. They were debating out load over which of them was going to get to keep it. They must not realize how their voices project in that interior room. That; or they really are that ignorant.

I had a very difficult trip in what would have otherwise been a very good cruise. To open my med bottles I had to use the sharp edge of the nightstands to pound the caps off. Then I used this cumbersome Buck-knife to puncture the seals. Trying to cut my bandages with a Buck-knife instead of medical scissors was a nightmare. I never did get any well fitted and had a bad time of it.

Today I had over an hour-long conversation with Carnival customer services about my bad ordeal. They said they were very sorry this happened but there was nothing they could do about it. I asked if I could have it returned to me and they repeatedly said it would have been destroyed upon confiscation. That was a bold-faced lie. They didn’t know how to respond to me when I informed them of the security screeners going on about which of them was going to keep it. The Carnival rep today didn’t know what to say when I proved I recorded the ordeal on my i-phone 5.

All I got was an, “I’m sorry this happened to you.” They refused to get it back for me or to even reimburse me for the little original purchase cost.

It doesn’t make any sense to me to allow a 4-inch folding hunting knife on board but I can’t bring a 2-inch folded medical tool with a pharmacy label on it.

I guess I’ll have to find other vacation options in the future. I did cancel my next Carnival cruise today. I don’t know if I will book another one. The only way I could ever go again is if I could take another medical tool like I did many times before.

Thanks for letting me vent.

So sorry they took it. I guess you just never know who will let it slide and who won't.

Hopefully the other cruise lines will let you bring it on board but you could get some jerk with another line also.

If you enjoy cruising Carnival, you should just let it go. Oh, I forgot you cancelled your other cruise.

Best of luck in the future! :)

My DH and my BIL both had small folding 2 inch pocket knives taken upon boarding..............different times, different ports, different ships. We thought they were legal, always got them on before, and used for all sorts of little things like cutting off those plastic tags from new clothes etc. But they were returned at the end of the cruise.

As this was a medical aid, I would have gone to guest services to have them open my meds, cut my bandages, then make them do it again if they did not wash their hands just make them see how ridiculis this really is.

I myself just returned from a cruise where I had to change bandages on my foot/ankle, but was successful in getting my scissors on to cut my bandages and tape.

Please follow this up and let us know the outcome. Carnival rules are never consistant.

Good luck.;)

Edited by Ocean Dancer

Small issues like this can ruin a cruise. I find Carnival security the worst of any cruise line - very bad attitude and they forget they are in a service industry

If something like this can ruin your cruise, you should probably stay at home. Bad stuff happens everywhere, learn to live with it.

I have, not arthritis yet, but need a 2" knife to open a seal on a bottle but can't use a 4" knife to do the same. Would that ruin your vacation?

He used the scissors part to cut bandages, that would not have been easy to do with a 4 inch knife, nor safe, and have to manage a wound while on a trip is very important aspect and not having a properly fitted sized bandage could cause gaps in the edges that cause bandage not to stay in place. Places a lot of worry on a person when they should be able to enjoy themselves.

I have, not arthritis yet, but need a 2" knife to open a seal on a bottle but can't use a 4" knife to do the same. Would that ruin your vacation?

Since your 2 inch knife may be taken, it sounds as if you may spend several hours at guest services too, just so they can open your meds, will that ruin your vacation? I never needed a knife!:confused:

He used the scissors part to cut bandages, that would not have been easy to do with a 4 inch knife, nor safe, and have to manage a wound while on a trip is very important aspect and not having a properly fitted sized bandage could cause gaps in the edges that cause bandage not to stay in place. Places a lot of worry on a person when they should be able to enjoy themselves.

Thank you Sarah!! That was why I was happy to get my scissors on!:)

We were on the same cruise (same date) out of San Juan and my father carries a leather man for the same reasons noted above. It was also confiscated in the manner described above. I find it interesting that I could buy liquor in ports, and on an Alaskan Cruise, a knife, which was delivered the last night of the cruise, but a leather was confiscated and could not be held until return.

I hope you have the names of the screeners in addition to the recording as well as everyone you talked to, what was said, and dates and time. Carnival employees (and other cruise lines) are notorious for lying about most anything when it is more convenient to do so.

And just ignore the responses from the Honey Boo Boo types that make the ignorant posts.

Cheers!

Small issues like this can ruin a cruise. I find Carnival security the worst of any cruise line - very bad attitude and they forget they are in a service industry

I agree, the last couple of cruises I've been on with Carnival I find the security staff very rude. Not the ones getting on in Miami so much but the ones when you are getting on and off in ports. They raise their voices at guests for no reason and their tones is just plain rude. Why does Carnival go to such great lengths to have the wait staff, stewards, etc be such great friendly people, but allow those staff to be downright nasty?

That's a real kick in the pants!:eek: Sorry to hear about this incident and that it spoiled your cruise with an inconvience (though a major one for you each time you had to open a med bottle).

But my question is was this Carnival Security or TSA?

Carnival can't do anything about TSA mandated confiscations. And next time you walk through an airport screening, take a look at the display of confiscated items and note the number of these small type "tools" and other seemingly innocent devices. To get to Socchi, they'll conficate toothpaste for crying out loud.

Hope you can find a similar replacement tool and keep it in your carryon next time. I doubt if it cost all that much. If it's in your luggage due to an air flight, just take the 2 minutes to transfer it to your carry on upon arrival at the airport baggage claim.

Is Carnival security denied boarding of all Leatherman, Swiss Army Knife and/or similar types of multi-tools, regardless of its size - or, only b/c it has a knife blade?

We sailed the her Splendor last September and I don't recall having problems and I kept mine (it's small, folding with a 1" blade) with the carryons. OTOH, I've had it in checked luggage on RCI and NCL, made it onboard the ship to the cabin - without fanfare.

Nowadays, there are specialized TSA or travel friendly multi-tools available, and here is one from Leatherman - it does not come with a certificate or waiver to bypass security, it's still at their discretion

http://www.leatherman-store.co.uk/multi-tools-c27/leatherman-style-ps-multi-tool-p845

Everyday at hundreds, if not thousands of airports that follow TSA guidelines, similar tools are screened, some are "voluntary surrendered" (never confiscated) while others made it thru (via carry-ons and via checked bags) It's what we as a nation empowered our Washington leadership to do and we became sheepies as a flock, hence, he 3-1-1 rules & shoes off, etc. - and reasons that we've flown fewer & fewer trips on the shrinking tin cans. http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/03/tsa-prohibited-items-list-changing_5.html - the pix illustrated various types/style of knives & what's allowed & not allowed, made for interesting debate :eek:

Mine by Coleman has survived thus far, it was cheap - around $10 & has fewer swing-out accessories. Brookstone retail stores also sell similar ones, sometimes with a 2 for 1 special, also inexpensive - not a big "deal" if taken away (or prompted to surrender it against wishes ... :rolleyes:)

IMG_20140207_Multi-Tool.jpg

My medical tool was taken by Carnival security, not by the TSA.

Here is a photo of my tool taken a few years ago. This pic was sent to others that have the same arthritis problems that I have.

When folded, the orange colored portion measures only 2 inches.

P7300845_zpsa1d979f1.jpg

If you look at the FAQ on the Carnival website about prohibited items, you will see that tools of trade are prohibited and will be disposed of with no compensation.

Just because you got by bringing it previously doesn't mean they are allowed. These guys caught you bringing on a prohibited item and confiscated it. That is what you agreed to happen when you purchased the cruise.

You can bring on small knives and scissors with blades under 4". Next time bring individual small knife and small scissors and you will be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Where is the like button?

If you look at the FAQ on the Carnival website about prohibited items, you will see that tools of trade are prohibited and will be disposed of with no compensation.

Just because you got by bringing it previously doesn't mean they are allowed. These guys caught you bringing on a prohibited item and confiscated it. That is what you agreed to happen when you purchased the cruise.

You can bring on small knives and scissors with blades under 4". Next time bring individual small knife and small scissors and you will be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We boarded the Valor on 1/26/14 in San Juan. I went to leave the ship to get some water at the local CVS and my card going thru security gave a message to go to the luggage sorting area to have my suitcase opened. I thought that was odd until I remembered I had 4-inch Buck-knife in my daypack inside my suitcase. That knife has been in that same pack for over 15 years. That is all I thought might have been a problem. Why now? I’ve had that same knife on nearly all of my Carnival cruises.

I went off of the ship and met with 2 security screeners that said they found something in my suitcase and wanted me present while they opened it. They opened my suitcase and said they saw on their scanner that I had a “Leatherman” tool. They looked thru the contents and didn’t find a “Leatherman” but did find the 4-inch knife. They said the knife was OK since it was 4 inches or less.

They scanned the suitcase again and said they still see a “Leatherman”. They still couldn’t find it when looking again. To save time and to be helpful, I opened an interior pocket inside my daypack and pulled out a 2-inch folded medical tool. This little tool has ½ inch mini-pliers for bottle caps, ½ inch scissors, a 1-inch blade and removable tweezers. I bought it at my family pharmacy almost 15 years ago and it has been on every cruise with me since.

I use the tool to open medicine bottle caps and to puncture the foil film every morning due to arthritis in my hands and I also custom cut a bandage and pad with the mini scissors due to a chronic injury to my leg.

When I handed the tool to the 2 security screeners they giggled about how small the tool was. I explained to them I have taken it on all of my recent cruises on Carnival (and Holland and NCL) but this is the first time I haven’t carried it in my carry-on. Carnival has looked at this mini-tool many times in the past and always passed it thru with me. Well, not this time!

It didn’t matter to them what I used it for. They continued to go on at length that this is a ”multi-tool” just as is any other “Leatherman”. I was told I was not allowed to take it on-board – “… no exceptions for any reason.” When it was clear they were not going to allow me to take it with me. I asked if I could at least get it back when I returned to Puerto Rico. They said no. Once I leave security, I do not have any opportunity to get it back. That is the way it went! To rub salt in my wound (no pun intended), they giggled more when I was walking away with my suitcase. They were debating out load over which of them was going to get to keep it. They must not realize how their voices project in that interior room. That; or they really are that ignorant.

I had a very difficult trip in what would have otherwise been a very good cruise. To open my med bottles I had to use the sharp edge of the nightstands to pound the caps off. Then I used this cumbersome Buck-knife to puncture the seals. Trying to cut my bandages with a Buck-knife instead of medical scissors was a nightmare. I never did get any well fitted and had a bad time of it.

Today I had over an hour-long conversation with Carnival customer services about my bad ordeal. They said they were very sorry this happened but there was nothing they could do about it. I asked if I could have it returned to me and they repeatedly said it would have been destroyed upon confiscation. That was a bold-faced lie. They didn’t know how to respond to me when I informed them of the security screeners going on about which of them was going to keep it. The Carnival rep today didn’t know what to say when I proved I recorded the ordeal on my i-phone 5.

All I got was an, “I’m sorry this happened to you.” They refused to get it back for me or to even reimburse me for the little original purchase cost.

It doesn’t make any sense to me to allow a 4-inch folding hunting knife on board but I can’t bring a 2-inch folded medical tool with a pharmacy label on it.

I guess I’ll have to find other vacation options in the future. I did cancel my next Carnival cruise today. I don’t know if I will book another one. The only way I could ever go again is if I could take another medical tool like I did many times before.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Could your tool be something like this?

http://www.enjoyzibra.com/Home/RX/home.html