higher Cruise Prices

mcrcruiser

I was extremely happy with the fare I got with the 123 promotion - in fact I would have booked at that price even without the promotion. And the price per person has already gone up 250 per person.

I think it will depend on the specific cruise.

Do you believe that the Celebrity cruise line promotions like the 123 GO package has increased Celebrity cruise prices ?

Yes,

I watch cruise prices regularly. I believe prices are higher to compensate for the promotional packages.

Frankly, I wish X would cut back on the promotions and go with overall lower prices.

The drinks packages don't appeal to me, since we don't drink $5 coffee or bottled water and we are elite (Happy Hour). I don't think the OBC makes up for the higher prices, but I have no empirical data to prove that.

Yes,

I watch cruise prices regularly. I believe prices are higher to compensate for the promotional packages.

Frankly, I wish X would cut back on the promotions and go with overall lower prices.

The drinks packages don't appeal to me, since we don't drink $5 coffee or bottled water and we are elite (Happy Hour). I don't think the OBC makes up for the higher prices, but I have no empirical data to prove that.

I believe, down the road Celebrity's fare will include a beverage package, so then, they can promote an all inclusive package.

Absolutely. Every cruise I have been looking at had a price increase when the 123 promotion went on--often more than the promotion was worth.

I'm sure there are individual cruises that didn't increase, or not much, just not any I was interested in.

I admit that we bargain hunt and only book at prices that are really low to start with, so that is a factor as well. I often have to bite my tongue when people tell me what they paid for the exact same cruise and cabin type since we often paid hundreds less.

I found a great price on a cruise this fall -- the kicker being, it involved either a senior or resident special and that could not be combined with the beverage package. So, even though we just made elite and are entitled to the cocktail hour -- the discount was just not enough to give up the beverage package ....for us, that is.

So, yes, it came down about $600 but the package is worth double that if we purchased it separately.

It does seem like cruise prices are inching up ... but still the best bargain travel out there but you do have to look for the deals.

I paid $1199 per person for my C3 on the 2/23 Silhouette sailing. I booked in March of last year, and they had 123GO.

Through the entire year, with that particular sailing, the price on the C3 did not waver until the 123GO began again on Black Friday. It then went up to $1399.

Is that because of the special or was it because the ship was selling very well? (It's been sold out for about a month now.) I don't know. What I do know is that I feel that I got really good value for my money.

I recently had a client get some nice price drops on her cruise that were eligible for 123GO. The other day, the cabin she is in went from 1549 to 1299. The 1299 is a new CA resident rate. She would have lost 123GO. That is worth $308. They are still ahead of the game by about $58. To them, the bev package is a much better value, so they kept it.

At this point, it's all about finding what works for you. I do wish that the programs were not so confusing. Most people do not read the fine print. I certainly wish that the print in this case was large. Sometimes those resident rates and senior rates can be SUPERB.

Last year on my Silhouette cruise, I was booked under a resident rate so when 123GO became available, I wasn't eligible. However, the resident discount was only $50 less than the prevailing 5 Star rate so it made sense to lose the resident rate and gain the drinks.

Every sailing will be different as pricing always depends on yield management.

We don't mind having an inside cabin. With that our Summit cruise next week is the cheapest cruise by per day cost we have ever been on. We paid $549 pp for the cabin including the 123 pkg, for which we chose the drink package.

We don't mind having an inside cabin. With that our Summit cruise next week is the cheapest cruise by per day cost we have ever been on. We paid $549 pp for the cabin including the 123 pkg, for which we chose the drink package.

How do you get 123 on an inside cabin? I thought it was outside and above?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How do you get 123 on an inside cabin? I thought it was outside and above?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Offer requires ocean view or higher stateroom booking at the non-discounted standard cruise fare. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer, promotion or price program. .

From Celebrity's website

Do you believe that the Celebrity cruise line promotions like the 123 GO package has increased Celebrity cruise prices ?

No doubt about it. If you follow attend or just listen in to the Shareholder Meetings you would understand how packages such as the 123 GO package increase OVERALL fares. People get excited at something they think is free and for those who claim to get this package for the same price or cheaper are really just participating in purchasing rooms which Celebrity needs to fill and if there was no 123 Go package then there would be the normal price drop. The 123 Go package net cost per day per passenger to Celebrity costs them approximately $8 so when they include this in your room price they suggest you are getting $44 per day per passenger free. If you are a big drinker (or set out to try and beat the system) maybe you will exceed their cost of $8 per day but not by much. Overall you are not getting this for free. Maybe you get a deal on one cruise but over time you loose with these offers.

Remember you are on holiday and if you believe you are getting a great deal then you will have a great cruise.

Offer requires ocean view or higher stateroom booking at the non-discounted standard cruise fare. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer, promotion or price program. .

From Celebrity's website

We booked when we were on board Summit last year and at that time they allowed you to get the 123 with an inside.

I have no doubt that the 123 promotion is meant to promote early sales of cruises, rather than having customers wait for last minute sales.

for those of us who have to book flights, it works perfectly, since we have to book early (especially at peak times)...it's nice to get something free to compensate for paying full price.

For those customers who have flexibility, it enables them to pick and choose when they book and what price they pay--good for you!

But I will not berate Celebrity for their marketing--we are the customers and we can compare prices and book the cruise we want.

All of the cruises I'm looking at for 2015 have went up considerably over the past year and not just on celebrity.

Last March we did the 14 night Eclipse in a 2c with the 123 package for $1499pp. I was just looking at booking the same cruise for 2015 and with the 123 package right now it would be $2169pp for a 2c.

I'm considering trying RCI and the cruise I've been looking at with them is also over $2100pp for a obstructed balcony and doesn't include a drink package.

It is all relative. Pulled our invoices from a 1994 and a 1998 sailing on X. The pp fare was less than $100 difference from we paid last year, all were 7 day sailings. How is it relative you ask? What it took to earn a dollar then vs what it is worth now, makes current cost to cruise much less than what it used to be.

I think it still all depends on the time of year, itinerary, supply /demand, etc. We returned from an 11 night on Equinox last week, and while on board booked the Reflection for next Mid January. We were on the Eclipse in Mid January 2011 same itinerary as next year on Reflection and Sky Suite was still same price as we paid in 2011.

I don't think you can say if prices are up on sailings, that it is from the offers they are using to get bookings.

I paid $1199 per person for my C3 on the 2/23 Silhouette sailing. I booked in March of last year, and they had 123GO.

Through the entire year, with that particular sailing, the price on the C3 did not waver until the 123GO began again on Black Friday. It then went up to $1399.

Is that because of the special or was it because the ship was selling very well? (It's been sold out for about a month now.) I don't know. What I do know is that I feel that I got really good value for my money.

I recently had a client get some nice price drops on her cruise that were eligible for 123GO. The other day, the cabin she is in went from 1549 to 1299. The 1299 is a new CA resident rate. She would have lost 123GO. That is worth $308. They are still ahead of the game by about $58. To them, the bev package is a much better value, so they kept it.

At this point, it's all about finding what works for you. I do wish that the programs were not so confusing. Most people do not read the fine print. I certainly wish that the print in this case was large. Sometimes those resident rates and senior rates can be SUPERB.

Last year on my Silhouette cruise, I was booked under a resident rate so when 123GO became available, I wasn't eligible. However, the resident discount was only $50 less than the prevailing 5 Star rate so it made sense to lose the resident rate and gain the drinks.

Every sailing will be different as pricing always depends on yield management.

We agree with this poster who is apparently a TA . We also agree with others who have seen the difference & the cost to Celebrity of just $8 per day for the classic drink package .:)

There is no doubt in my mind that the prices can & do increase ;however ,it also depends on how well that particular cruise is filling the cabins ;).

Since we are retired we tend to look at the cruise prices after final payment ;however ,we do exclude the trans Atlantic prices because4 they are low to start out being repositioning cruises .;)

The bottom line imo is in the eyes of the purchaser of their cruise . all situations are different :)

We agree with this poster who is apparently a TA . We also agree with others who have seen the difference & the cost to Celebrity of just $8 per day for the classic drink package .:)

There is no doubt in my mind that the prices can & do increase ;however ,it also depends on how well that particular cruise is filling the cabins ;).

Since we are retired we tend to look at the cruise prices after final payment ;however ,we do exclude the trans Atlantic prices because4 they are low to start out being repositioning cruises .;)

The bottom line imo is in the eyes of the purchaser of their cruise . all situations are different :)

Yes, I am a TA. I feel like I should have gotten a degree in Super Advanced Marketing Strategies with a minor in fine print analyzing these days. I feel really bad for consumers who see the lowest rate, then all of these perks, and find out they are not able to be combined. Well traveled and savvy consumers understand the game and know how to use it to their advantage, which is great. These strategies, of course, are not only used by cruise lines but all forms of business. Which sucks, because while they can claim these great deals, there are always get-out clauses in the fine print. I've made it a habit when buying anything or before signing everything to read the fine print to avoid nasty surprises later. I wish that wasn't the case and that businesses were more up front about restrictions, etc...

The client I was speaking of originally had a rate of $1749 and then the Give Thanks promo came out, giving her a pretty substantial price drop (15%). Then, when 123GO came out, we had to go back up to the $1749 rate to get the bev package (which she still came out ahead on). Then a few weeks ago I was checking fares again and saw the fare go from $1749 to $1549 and this was not a restricted rate so she got to keep 123GO. Then this past week they added senior and resident rates to this sailing and the price drop on her A2 went to $1299. When I look at the booking history, it makes me realize that this sailing must not be doing so swell because of the $200 initial price drop, being able to keep 123GO, and then releasing senior and resident fares.

Whereas the cruise I'm going on never dropped in price once.

It's weird. I sort of wish it were simpler, but pricing is becoming a lot more like air travel pricing. I can't imagine it costs any more to host a passenger on a 7 day cruise at Christmas than it does in February, but because the demand is so high, they can charge more.

It's weird. I sort of wish it were simpler, but pricing is becoming a lot more like air travel pricing. I can't imagine it costs any more to host a passenger on a 7 day cruise at Christmas than it does in February, but because the demand is so high, they can charge more.

To prove your point. While onboard our last cruise, we booked Xmas 2014, 14 day Southern Caribbean, Dec. 21/Jan4 @ 2519.00, we got 250.00 OBC and classic beverage package. Today that cruise is 3449.00 and the 123 go promo. The same itinerary for Dec. 07/14 is 2029.00 and for Jan 04/15 is 2129.00. Also. for us the flight to Miami and return is normally around 800.00, but for the Xmas period is 1400.00. Just a complete rip off.

After booking five sailings because of the drink pkgs I've decided not to worry whether I'm paying more or not. The convience of the pkgs really add to our enjoyment of the cruise so it's worth it to us. So much more enjoyable compared to elite cocktail party where they've decided when and where we can drink. I hope they continue to offer the promo plus with a good TA who gives me onboard credit and pays our grats it's like a win win for me! Let's go cruising