Don't need Beach, so....

Laslo294

Living near a beach we don't really want to spend our time on one so that aspect doesn't play into a decision. Do want snorkeling. Otherwise like to explore an island and see and do native excursions; bike, hike, tour, kayak etc.

Looking at Aruba, Curacao, G Turk itinerary. Are these best for those criteria or will others? San Juan, St M, St T being the other option. Have done Western and loved renting scooter on Cozumel and Cave tubing in Belize.

Thanks friends...

Living near a beach we don't really want to spend our time on one so that aspect doesn't play into a decision. Do want snorkeling. Otherwise like to explore an island and see and do native excursions; bike, hike, tour, kayak etc.

Looking at Aruba, Curacao, G Turk itinerary. Are these best for those criteria or will others? San Juan, St M, St T being the other option. Have done Western and loved renting scooter on Cozumel and Cave tubing in Belize.

Thanks friends...

If you don't want to do the beach thing, why not cruise Alaska this year? You can do all the things you listed, plus lots more, except the snorkeling.

If you don't want to do the beach thing, why not cruise Alaska this year? You can do all the things you listed, plus lots more, except the snorkeling.

Alaska is absolutely wonderful. One of the absolute best cruises we've ever taken.

But if you want to stay warm, I'd opt for a cruise that includes San Juan. This is, by far, one of the best and most diverse destinations in the Caribbean. 500 year old history and sightseeing in Old San Juan, rainforests, caverns, beaches, culture, award winning restaurants and shopping, museums, beautiful architecture, and more. It's truly a fantastic, world class destination.

Unfortunately, most cruises stop in San Juan for a few hours which only allows you to enjoy a very small sample of what San Juan has to offer. And unfortunately, a lot of people just walk to Señor Frogs near the pier and then complain that San Juan sucked. :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I lived on the Gulf for 5 yrs and am dying to get back. I know how great it is to LIVE at the beach!

However, very few mainland beaches can compare to the amazingly clear Caribbean and tropical water and fish to see. Anywhere from Belize to Mexico and most reefs around Bahamas and VIs are going to offer great marine life, more than just nice beaches. In particular, we really enjoyed our snorkel tour in Roatan.

I LOVE to snorkel Chankanaab park at Cozumel, lots and lots of friendly fish! Personally not a San Juan fan but didn't personally snorkel there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

Not a San Juan fan here. Thought I would be but for me, eh not so good. The forts are cool but for us, that's about it. We aren't beachy either bc we have had a beach house since before I was born and I can't say I enjoy the beach BUT the water in parts of the Caribbean (HMC) is really an awesome experience. We've done eastern and it was nice we have western coming up so I can't really give you a choice of what we'd choose but wish you the best of luck!

Thanks friends...

Not a San Juan fan here. Thought I would be but for me, eh not so good. The forts are cool but for us, that's about it. We aren't beachy either bc we have had a beach house since before I was born and I can't say I enjoy the beach BUT the water in parts of the Caribbean (HMC) is really an awesome experience. We've done eastern and it was nice we have western coming up so I can't really give you a choice of what we'd choose but wish you the best of luck!

Oh, I feel SO badly for you! :rolleyes: (Not. :D)

Our state has a whopping 18 miles of coastline. In the summer, our ocean temps reach an very exciting...64F.

San Juan is a favorite of ours. We love the history, the land, even the shopping. Have you considered a cruise that sails from San Juan?

On St. Maarten we booked a wonderful tour with Joyce Prince. (Google her.) She took us to places that tour buses cannot go. We learned so much about the two nations that share the island.

We've only been to Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas, but back in October we ventured over to St. John. So pretty there. I know you don't want a beach day, but Trunk Bay was the most beautiful piece of paradise we've ever seen. There must be other things to do than just beach there.

Good luck.

Think about Canada/New England cruise. They are fabulous. We do it year after year and never tire of it. So beautiful and so different than cruising the Caribbean.

We love the Caribbean, too, though and have sailed all the islands many times. San Juan is one of our favorite ports along with St. Barts, Half Moon Cay, Curcaco, Aruba and Bonaire..... those Dutch islands are outstanding. :)

Guest maddycat

Bermuda is perfect. You can spend 3 full days exploring the island during a 7 night cruise. It's beautiful, clean and safe. They have an excellent public transportation system (buses and ferries). Many people get around on scooters.

I'm not sure that hiking, biking or Kayaking are "native"....most of the Caribbean is centered around the beach/water thing. What you need to do is read a guidebook on the ports you're considering...it will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about each place!

I'm a huge believer in guidebooks and advance research! So helpful! Libraries have them, if you don't want to buy one!

We are beach/water people so do enjoy many of the Caribbean islands. But, we just do not understand why folks, who have no interest in the water, sand, or sun bother to take Caribbean cruises. It is a very large world and there are fascinating places all over. But the Caribbean Islands would be low on our list of fascinating places (other then sun, sand and water). We agree with the idea of going to Alaska. New England/Canada is also an interesting area for fall cruises. In the spring, summer and fall we tend to go to Europe which offers many great cruise itineraries (time on land can be even better). In the winter, Central and South America offer some interesting places to see and we have not even started talking about Asia, Australia, and New Zealand.

As to hiking/biking, a trip to Europe can work well for this kind of activity. There are even "bike tours" in parts of Europe (like France) where you ride most days, have a support vehicle and guide, hotels are included, etc.

Hank

Just wanted to mention that snorkeling IS offered in Alaska! :D This is a Royal Caribbean shore excursion:

Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure - KE26

Destination: Alaska

Port/City: Ketchikan, Alaska

Activity Type: Snorkel & SCUBA Tours | Beach and/or Water-Related Activities | Adventure Tours | Wilderness & Wildlife Tours

Approximate Duration: 3 hour(s)

Prices starting from:

*125.43 CAD (Adult)

*125.43 CAD (Child)

Alaska and Canada/New England are some of our favorite cruises, along with French Polynesia. (Circling Bora Bora on a waverunner!). Bermuda is a good suggestion. Laslo294, I like all of the islands in your itinerary options, tough decision!

We also enjoy snorkeling but being on the west coast we try to get all of our snorkeling in on Hawaii land vacations. We have found some great snorkeling on Roatan and Cozumel but were greatly disappointed in St Maarten and St Thomas. We were sorry we didn't spend the time exploring/touring the islands instead of taking a snorkel excursion. I would love to have a do-over of our Eastern Caribbean cruise and this time stay on land.

Hi- Have been to all of those ports.

Curacao has excellent snorkeling. We went to Blue Bay last time there.

Playa Porto Mari is also good. Check the Curacao forum.

Aruba has good island tours-it is an interesting island IMO.

St. Thomas has many historic tours. Blackbeards' Castle etc.

St. Maarten/St Martin has the trip to Marigot (French side) and many nature tours.

Grand Turk is known for its snorkeling.

However, when we were there, we took a $5 taxi to town and explored this small, old Caribbean port. (It is like the Caribbean ports of 20 years ago.)

We like San Juan-especially Old San Juan. We also enjoyed our trip up to

El Yunque (rain forest) several years ago.

Plenty to do on these islands.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I've been on. I probably didn't provide enough info. We are not opposed to the beach(since there are a few in the islands) but that's not our main focus. Did cave tubing in Belize, Mayan ruins in Coast Maya, explored Cozumel. Only snorkeling has been in Hawaii so looking to do that. San Juan history is a plus. Coming from Charleston SC history has its place. And no, will not be leaving out of Chas. due to limited options and ship. New England is a possibility although may have to adjust dates since anything under 70 is far too cold :)

So, just a follow-up.. happy cruising

Take a look at RCCLs and Carnival's Southern Caribbean itineraries. They sail out of San Juan. And take a look at the ports of call forum. Lots of info there for each port of call that you are interested in, including the most popular activities in each place.

Edited by mom says

St. Maarten has great coastal hiking and a touch of France on the north half. San Juan is a marvelous old, partially walled Spanish colonial city with great old buildings, churches, forts, etc - or a trip to El Yunque rain forest. St. Thomas has little except shopping and beaches - but an easy crossing to St. John for great snorkeling.