Fog Delays in Tampa fEB.2, 2014

ukoldav

Is it too much to ask for better GPS and radar technology to eliminate this continual fog delays in Port of Tampa, FL? Seems to me the Port Authority and Coast Guard should resolve problems w/channel navigation in fog with appropriate or increased pilot boats/pilot, buoy based ship guidance, or other technologies (i.e. such as at major airports) so that these disembarkation/embarkation delays are a thing of the past. Fog delays cause huge problems for cruise passengers (flights) and cruise ships (tight turnaround).

NCL Dawn was 3 1/2 hrs. late disembarkation on Feb. 2, 2014. The taxi driver told me the previous day a smaller cruise ship ("Royal") was kept over 10 hours outside of the bay...they were just about to turn around and leave...when "magically" the fog had lifted enough for the Port officials.

I see corruption, incompetence, politics, pilots who prefer to "sleep-in" on a Sunday...am I seeing wrong?

Is it too much to ask for better GPS and radar technology to eliminate this continual fog delays in Port of Tampa, FL? Seems to me the Port Authority and Coast Guard should resolve problems w/channel navigation in fog with appropriate or increased pilot boats/pilot, buoy based ship guidance, or other technologies (i.e. such as at major airports) so that these disembarkation/embarkation delays are a thing of the past. Fog delays cause huge problems for cruise passengers (flights) and cruise ships (tight turnaround).

NCL Dawn was 3 1/2 hrs. late disembarkation on Feb. 2, 2014. The taxi driver told me the previous day a smaller cruise ship ("Royal") was kept over 10 hours outside of the bay...they were just about to turn around and leave...when "magically" the fog had lifted enough for the Port officials.

I see corruption, incompetence, politics, pilots who prefer to "sleep-in" on a Sunday...am I seeing wrong?

IMO - Yes. But what the heck, you will run the gambit of responses - which likely is your goal.

Popcorn anyone?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Let's see…

Fog at SFO and inversions at SLC will shut down the airports. More than once I've circled both airports, waiting for the fog to clear of get light enough that they allow operations to continue. I've been diverted overnight to other airports, missing meetings the next day. Why can't they invest in modern technology to allow more flights to land in zero visibility…

I have a cousin who is one of the harbor pilots in Chesapeake Bay. Trust me, he never gets to "sleep in". Some of the stories he's told of trying to get onto the ships and then the conditions he has to work in, well…

All the available technology in the world sometimes isn't enough.

You could always ask the Florida AG for an investigation into Tampa Port for corruption ;)

Edited by slidergirl

Besides the fact that at some points it is an extremely narrow channel requiring tight turns, I suggest you do a google search for "Summit Venture".

You know that bridge we have that spans the mouth of the bay? It ain't the first one.

Tampa Bay has a very bad history for severe accidents involving ships with loss of life.

see

M/V Capricorn versus USCGC BLACKTHORN (sunk) Jan 1980

M/V Summit Venture versus Sunshine Skyway Bridge, one span of bridge knocked down with loss of life May 1980

Two fuel barges vs freighter resulting in explosion and fire Aug 1993

(you can find the NTSB reports for all three on the NTSB web site)

You'll be hard pressed to find another US port with such a history. The portion from Egmont Key thru the Skyway Bridge is a navigational 'problem'.

These incidents resulted in laws limiting the movement of ships in Tampa Bay when fog sets in. The investigations recommended the installation of a full vessel traffic control system (VTS) for Tampa Bay .... Congress has consistently rejected the development of additional VTS systems in US ports.

The simplest solution.... pick a different ship. As much as I liked the itinerary of a HAL ship out of Tampa for my upcoming March cruise, I just wanted to avoid the potential of a fog delay. I will wait to sail out of that port until I don't need to get back to work on time.

Really.? It can't be the fog to blame? It has to be "corruption, incompetence, politics, pilots who prefer to "sleep-in" on a Sunday?" Really? :rolleyes:

Thank you for your service to our Nation Capt., US Coast Guard, etc. Thank you for your reply to my inquiry. I have checked NTSB reports (TB maritime accidents)...other fog delays...am much better informed due to your and other replies.

'welcome

I has the mis-pleasure of being stationed in St Pete/Tampa in Jan 1980, and was still there into the summer. I was home watching TV when a bulletin appeared about the BLACKTHORN .. just about the same time my phone rang and I was busy for several days non-stop. Altho just a junior officer I was initially sent to one of the hospitals receiving survivors to act as liaison and 'secure the evidence' and later since I was a communications guy at the time - comms officer on a larger cutter ported in St Pete - my comms crew ran the temporary comms van set up at Ft De Soto, and I piloted in government vessels while the port (pilots) was shut down. Wife told me that after I left for the hospital the phone started ringing from family and friends asking if I was alive since nationally all they had said was a CG ship sank in Tampa with lives lost ... and I was assigned to a ship there.

Things were just getting back to normal when the bridge was knocked down . . . my wife had always had a fear of tall bridges where you could not see the other side .... "how do we know it is still there?" Took a couple of years after that one to get her to drive over a tall bridge again . . .

for the record, Tampa Bay pilots were pioneers in the use of GPS. They would board ships with a GPS receiver and a computer with charts (maps) which they used as an aid to navigation LONG b4 these items were required or even often SEEN on ships. They prototyped the systems which are required today to be on the bridge of every cruise ship.

Problem remains tho that not EVERY ship is required to have this equipment and since it costs $$$ sometimes it is not installed.

And THEN there is also Mr Murphy . . .

Galveston has similar fog issues btw ..... Jacksonville too ... but fewer cruise ships

OTOH

if you look a the ports of Miami, Lauderdale/Everglades or Canaveral, the channel is short and sweet. They are seldom shut down for fog because the transit is not particularly long or difficult and it is easy to ensure only 1 ship is moving at a time . . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ