Our comments - Mariner - Miami to Lima

islandhalls

We were also on the Mariner Jan 25, 2014 Miami to Lima cruise; a few comments:

This was our first cruise on the Mariner since 2008. The ship looks good and some of the public areas had changed. We spent a lot of time in the Observation Lounge and Coffee Connection, and they look great. Jamie was our cruise director with his wife Dana as assistant cruise director. We knew we were in good hands when we saw that and Captain Felice was wonderful. We had a great time.

Our cabin was fine. This was our first time with the new walk-in showers. Great improvement and wonderful water pressure. Our stewards were adequate. I am not sure what the issue was, but they were very reactive not proactive. When we ran out of water, beer or wine, we had to ask to have it replaced. We even left a note using the last page on the notepad, and they didn’t give us a new note pad until we requested one.

The Internet on the ship is much improved over our recent experiences on the Voyager and Navigator. We could get connected anywhere we tried, but in our suite was the best place. I could upload multiple photos at the same time and use FaceTime, which I would have never tried before.

The food, specifically in Compass Rose for dinner, was excellent. Many nights we had the fresh fish of the day, which was always wonderful. The only disappointment was in Prime 7 – we had the surf and turf; filet and lobster. Both DH and I thought the meat was below our previous experience, it seemed poorly defrosted or something and the lobster was overcooked.

Also, at Prime 7, we remembered the “house” wine as usually special, but they were pouring Robert Mondavi Coastal Selection Cabernet Sauvignon, which is may $5 at our stores. Not the wine you like to have served in a fine steakhouse. It was only our second night, so we weren’t sure what else they were pouring on board. We saw it was the house wine immediately when we opened the menu, and when the sommelier came over, he immediately plopped the Reserve listing on our laps and said something like I am sure you would like a special wine with your special dinner. If was very off-putting and we had never experienced that before on Regent. Luckily, that was the only occurrence. We enjoyed most of the wines offered, and if not, requested an alternate wine which was always cheerfully procured.

Our servers in Compass Rose were the same for the eleven nights we ate there, Marcellino helped by Francisco. They were wonderful and enhanced our onboard experience. I Gusti was often our wine stewards and he was always cheerful and kept our glasses filled. The bartenders in the Observation Lounge and Pool Bar were always friendly, overall, the officers seemed happy and the crew too.

Signatures was fine, but to us, it was not the same dining experience as when it was associated with Le Cordon Bleu. One appetizer, the asparagus and crab charlotte was rather rustic looking as compared to something out of a Bon Appetit, with each asparagus cut the same height and same width. Just different, tasted the same, but it set a different tone. We didn’t think the bisque was as good as we remembered. The wines were nice French wines, appropriate with the meal served.

Destination Services seemed better managed; with your tickets already noting the departure group you were assigned, so, for example, if a tour had three departures, you arrived in the Constellation Theater 15 minutes apart. There are still passengers that get their bus ticket and head down before their number is called so they can be at the front of the bus. People are funny, and boy, do they get out of joint if for some reason they don’t get the front seat! We like to people watch and there was great people watching this cruise.

The tours offered were adequate, some not really great, but many of the ports didn’t really have much to offer; to us this cruise, with five full sea days and many half sea days, it is more about the cruise than the ports. The disparity in the classes and obvious poverty in Ecuador and Peru still leaves me without the best words, and we are not sure we will do much more travel in South American.

The Miraflores neighborhood in Lima was a treat for a couple of post cruise days – we stayed at the Hilton Lima Miraflores, which is only one year old and is fabulous. Hilton knocked the ball out of the park with that property. I couldn’t recommend it more highly.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Reading about the ship makes me realize how much we miss the Mariner (and also Francisco).

Definitely agree with you about the tours in some parts of South America. This is part of the reason we have not been on the Mariner (she spends so much time in South America).

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your cruise.:)

We did this cruise last year as the first leg of our Circle South America last year, whereas this year it's the third leg for some reason. I can understand the comments regarding the apparent poverty in both Ecuador and Peru. In starting and ending in Miami it was interesting viewing the contrasts between the countries as the ship circled - by the time we were in Argentina and Brazil the contrast in wealth between those first few stops (the Caribbean tourist spots excluded) was very noticeable. Though for us, no less enjoyable. Our stay in Ecuador was a bit different as we were able to do a side trip to (very historic) Quito so we didn't spend much time in either Manta or Guayaquil - but the ruins in Chan Chan and our time in Lima were wonderful. Lima was possibly helped by fantastic weather and the wonderful Peruvian food (and Pisco sours). I would not, however, let these two countries colour the whole South American experience as each country has its individual character. It's like writing off (say) Europe because you didn't like Greece. I have seen more beggars in the streets of Paris than anywhere we went to in South America, and felt more threatened in parts of France and the US than we did at any point on our cruise - and we did spend quite a bit of time on our own. And more graffiti in Amsterdam than even Valparaiso.

For the passengers starting and ending in Buenos Aires there would be a marked contrast from a huge sophisticated city to rustic less developed areas, whereas to us it was a gradual change along with the landscape.

Our always helpful guides were clearly proud of their countries and were keen to point out the improvements in their economies in even 15 years, so who knows what the future holds? We purchased superb quality items as both souvenirs for friends and keepsakes for ourselves. Necklaces costing $10 in Quito draw more comments than Colombian emeralds and the efforts by both countries to expand their markets globally in (say) flowers in Ecuador and asparagus in Peru can only bode well for their future. Sadly port areas in any country are not generally the best face a country can show, but there's much, much more to see than the Galapagos and Machu Picchu. We certainly plan to return to the West Coast of South America to spend more time with the people and learn more about their fascinating culture. Oh and buy more superb souvenirs.:o

From time to time, I feel I have nothing to add to the conversation but would find a "like" button useful ;-)

Catpow, you voice my thoughts so well. Sure, I leave some places in the world feeling thankful that I was born where and when I was, but I also feel richer for having met a few people, learned a little about their country and seen some of it for myself. Isn't that why we travel?

I tried to post as well when the system was going down. It is interesting that the ports that Catpow did not have an opportunity to spend time in were amongst our favorites -- especially Manta. We enjoyed the excursion there tremendously.

We are glad that we have visited parts of South America (both on land vacations and cruises) but it is not an area that we feel we need to repeat and the flights to and from our closest airport make it a difficult destination to reach. For those reasons, we are happy to see the Mariner spending less time there in 2014 and 2015.