Unsatisfactory Voyager Internet Experience

CruisetheCs

On my recent Voyager AKL to SYD cruise, the internet usually was very slow, but that problem was compounded by a terribly outdated interface for connecting to the internet. Connecting to complimentary internet requires clicking through five screens and filling in your full name, cabin number, and password each sign on. At times the internet is so slow that it can take a minute or two just to get the first logon screen to come up. The whole sign on process can sometimes take a few minutes. After 45 minutes users are logged off. There is no pop-up warning so web pages just stop loading. But given the slow internet, web pages may appear to be not loading anyway. So users are stuck trying to figure out whether they are connected or not. There seems to be no easy way to do this. And even when it is clear that the connection has stopped working, it can be very difficult to get the sign on page to come up again. Some people said they could not connect to the internet in their room. Despite all the internet connection problems there is apparently is no instruction or "frequently asked question" sheet available on board.

The staff response to complaints was essentially that they are aware of complaints and they pass all the complaints along to "corporate". I did not get the feeling that staff was vigorously pushing on corporate headquarters to do something, however.

Further evidence that the internet isn't seen as anything of importance to passengers came from the last two days on the ship. The internet and ship to shore phones stopped working as we arrived in Sydney the day prior to the end of the cruise. I discovered this when I was unable to use the phone or internet to confirm travel plans for the next day. I went on a tour and came back around 1 PM and still no internet or phone. There was a sign in the internet lounge that the internet was "temporarily" unavailable, but there was no announcement nor signs anywhere else about internet problems. Upon further inquiry with staff it sounded as if the problem was not going to be able to be fixed that day.

That afternoon I saw people trying to sign on with their tablets or phones not having been informed that the internet was down. When I told them that the internet was down, this inevitably led to lots of complaining about the lack of information which then generalized to how bad the internet service had been. One man who had been trying to sign on near the coffee bar late in the afternoon was incensed when he found out about the internet. He approached an officer and gave him an angry earful about the lack of notice about the internet failure as well as the overall internet problems. He vowed he would avoid Regent in the future because of the ongoing internet problems.

I'm guessing that outburst led to the late afternoon public announcement about the problem. However, since there were people still out on tours, some passengers were still unaware of the internet/phone problems until they went through the annoying routine of trouble shooting the log on process. Why weren't passengers proactively notified, especially since it was apparent that a number of people were relying on internet or phones to finalize travel plans for their disembarkation the next day? This whole experience made me think that management just doesn't see the internet as a service of any real value.

The inattention to internet as a valued service was also evident on the review forms we received prior to disembarking. There was no item to rate the internet service, rather only an item to rate the internet lounge staff. The problem is not staff, it is management. Why, for example, isn't there a simple app to use to sign on? Why isn't there a pop-up menu when being disconnected? Why isn't there a simple way to tell if a connection is lost (the wifi icon often stays on even when the connection is lost)? Why can't some people connect in their rooms?

Over the two week cruise I encountered several passengers who were noticeably annoyed or downright angry about the internet problems. I saw people sitting in the hallway using their Ipads, annoyed that they couldn't get on the internet in their suite. One day at the pool bar all the people around the bar were complaining about Regent's internet service. As one person said, a few years ago crappy internet service would have been accepted, but not any longer. Regent's internet service seems little changed over the years. I don't understand why a luxury cruise line seems to pay so little attention to these issues.

Sorry to hear about your experience but also sorry that you did not have the opportunity to read the Regent boards on Cruise Critic before you sailed as this has been discussed repeatedly over the years. In fact, I posted from the Voyager in December when there were also people lined up outside of the computer room with problems with their iPads receiving the signal (note: while this is a different topic, "iPad" brand tablets had more issues than any other tablet due to issues too complex for me to explain on this thread).

Regent has increased it's bandwidth fairly recently and is expected to continue to upgrade. In my opinion, the internet is no better or worse than any other luxury cruise line. In terms of signing on, Regent uses the multiple screens (which I agree is annoying) to keep track of internet usage by guest (even though most us receive included internet).

There is probably no place to "rate" the internet on board since most people know how poor it generally is (depending upon where the ship is sailing in the world, etc. We were into Sydney and had similar issues) Sometimes it is not possibly to tell how long a problem is going to last -- especially if the issue stems from the satellite itself rather than Regent's systems.

Hopefully you thoroughly enjoyed your cruise and that the internet was the only negative issue. And, thank you for reminding us to consistently remind people that will be sailing on a cruise ship that the internet will most likely be slow, slower and/or non-existent. I did read somewhere that internet service at sea (most cruise lines use the same satellite service) will be greatly improved in either late 2014 or early 2015.

It's true that Internet at sea (or in port for that matter) can be slow or cumbersome but that's mainly because of its reliance on a satellite connection. It's not necessarily the cruise company's fault. Having said that we've never had a problem, even with iPads, although with emails we draft them first offline and then send them all off in one batch after going online. It saves precious minutes apart from anything else.

As for the new "45 minute rule" my cynical heart wonders if this is a ruse to get people out of the computer room and waiting people in now it's only half it's former size thanks to the new Park West gallery? ;)

While on cruise I can have a "vacation" from the internet - it is very relaxing. I love to be at sea and at the ports - that's what cruising is!

ALSO, the internet is a slave to the satellite - the ship can't always be in the correct position.

Relax and enjoy the cruise!

As for the new "45 minute rule" my cynical heart wonders if this is a ruse to get people out of the computer room and waiting people in now it's only half it's former size thanks to the new Park West gallery? ;)

Tee hee... could be part of it! Internet on Voyager was pretty good on the DXB-SIN cruise in Dec., until we reached the south of India. After several days of trying and either not getting online or having it so slow as to be useless, I mentioned it to a staff member and was told, "Oh the satellite link's been broken for days."

Something I did notice in advance of that: Most pax had the unlimited internet special, and were online constantly with their smart phones set to wi-fi. No wonder things were slow with everyone downloading Facebook updates and email constantly! Plus, it was easy to forget to log off when there was no financial penalty. I have a feeling these situations are the reason for the 45-minute rule.

As a lowly Silver member do I still get free Internet? I don't mind a 45 min limit at all. It's more than adequate for the "important" stuff and the rest can wait until we get home. I admit I find it rather depressing to see people tethered to their electronic life support devices 24/7. I know it's an unfortunate aspect of modern life but surely one of the joys of cruising is getting away from the bl%#<y Internet!

As a lowly Silver member do I still get free Internet? I don't mind a 45 min limit at all. It's more than adequate for the "important" stuff and the rest can wait until we get home. I admit I find it rather depressing to see people tethered to their electronic life support devices 24/7. I know it's an unfortunate aspect of modern life but surely one of the joys of cruising is getting away from the bl%#<y Internet!

Yes, you will still get unlimited internet (45 minutes at a time :D). I haven't experienced the 45 minute limit but my impression from reading posts on CC is that when your 45 minutes are up, you just have to sign on again to continue using the internet.

I had very good internet on the Mariner in October in the Med. There was just a post today from a passenger on the recent Mariner cruise from Miami to Lima. Island Halls stated that he had no problems with the internet. I'm getting on the Voyager on March 6 so I'll be able to experience any problems firsthand.

Internet logon is absolutely identical on Regent, Oceania, and silversea. Interesting that silversea is identical since they are a totally separate company, but they use the same Internet at sea provider. All take the same amount of time and screens to log on so this is not a problem unique to regent.

I agree, the time spent logging on and getting things to load is frustrating, but if there is an consolation, Oceania is even slower! Silversea is about the same. Any Internet at sea is going to be somewhat slower than what we are accustomed to on land.

One clue I learned long ago-- to determine if the Internet is working, see if you can get Fox News on the tv. The Internet provider and Fox News are on the same satellite, so if you have one, you have the other. It has worked like a charm for me over the years, on regent, silversea, and Oceania.

Threads like this are why I think anytime someone asks about internet speeds at sea the only correct answer is "it varies". Further anyone who thinks they're going to reach anywhere near land based speeds is going to be sorely disappointed. The speed issues only get worse when lines offer free internet (or you have enough passengers in the free internet categories).

Having recently returned on Voyager in Sydney/Auckland that was a huge problem for me as well and I spent hours in the internet room listening to poor Emily explain the procedure over and over again. I cringed when she "sold" an internet package to people (mine was included) knowing that they would be irate at not being able to use what they paid for. I didn't get reception in my room. People have mentioned why it's necessary to be so attached to their electronic devices on vacation. In our case, it was two-fold: we needed to check daily on our elderly relative back in the States and it is my practice to photograph and write daily on my travel blog. That is one of the reasons I travel in the first place.

It is understandable that people enjoy blogging or need to be in touch with family members. However, passengers need to know up front that the internet on the ships may be slow or even non-existent as it is in some parts of the world. If I really needed to be in touch by internet, I'd ask a crew member where they go to use the internet when they are ashore since they always know the best places at the best prices in every port.

I wondered how Emily could be as patient as she was on our cruise (Singapore to Sydney) as the internet was challenging. Sorry that you cringed when you thought she was "selling" an internet package. As you know, passengers purchase their own package online. When passengers did not understand the instructions that are provided next to the computer, Emily would explain how to log on, purchase minutes, etc. very patiently. Her main frustration (besides for the slow internet) seemed to be that passengers did not want to listen -- they just kept talking. Passengers were getting frustrated because she isn't in the computer room 24/7 and had to put signs up indicating that the system was down. Unfortunately we saw too many passengers that treated her rather rudely and wanted to take their frustration out on her. She is there to help and, IMO, does a great job. BTW, she is one of the few people members of the crew that come from the U.S.:)

Yes passengers could purchase their packages online, but they also were signing up on board with her. I heard her explaining the price and the details many times. Obviously, that is what she is supposed to do. I think her patience and perseverance were admirable although she had a break during the day she put in long hours and had more customer contact than most of the rest of the crew. I mentioned her specifically in my ship evaluation.

Yes passengers could purchase their packages online, but they also were signing up on board with her. I heard her explaining the price and the details many times. Obviously, that is what she is supposed to do. I think her patience and perseverance were admirable although she had a break during the day she put in long hours and had more customer contact than most of the rest of the crew. I mentioned her specifically in my ship evaluation.

Just for everyone's information, while cruising on another line that also uses MTN Statellite as their internet provider, found that the internet people actually work for MTN and are on a salary plus commission basis so that is perhaps part of the reason she was able to sell the internet so easily to the customers. These people do not work for Regent or other cruise lines and while are considered crew, they are direct employees of MTN and part of their job is to increase revenue for both MTN and the cruise line.

These people really need to have the cruise skills to cope with all of the various skills of the passengers and have to do this alone as there is only one of them for the entire ship. Perhaps on the mega ships there are multiple people but, on the small Luxury and near Luxury ships, they have to do their jobs alone with I am guessing help from the home office via the internet.

Interesting! While it is certainly possible that she is there to "sell packages", during the many conversations I had with her, she did not once mention "selling" nor did she approach any passenger in the computer room. If someone needed assistance, they went to her. She did explain the packages to passengers that seemed a bit clueless. I suppose it would have been rude to ask a passenger to read the information on the rather large standard "boards" (for lack of a better word) that explained the details of each package. If Regent wanted more packages sold, it is odd that they would not advertise it the way they do other things that are sale on board. IMO, internet is not something to "sell" -- either you want it or you do not. IMO, she is there to help people make a connection which can be a challenge.

This is somewhat interesting as I have not seen this subject come up in the past (selling internet package - not slow internet). I also mentioned her on our comment card and am hoping that she is onboard when we are on the Voyager in July.

My point was not just that the internet is slow, but rather that there are problems that compound or confuse the issue that Regent doesn't address. For example, if the sign on process wasn't so clunky and outdated, the slowness might not be such a bother. Now with the new 45 minute automatic disconnect, guests get to go through the cumbersome log on much more frequently (or they give up). The process is like dealing with an outdated operating system (MS DOS, for example) on an extra slow network. Emily was very pleasant, but might she be a bit less overwhelmed if Regent simply had someone develop a user manual with a FAQ section? Such a manual and an improved interface are just basic tools that would help in view of the slow satellite connection.

Regent is heavily advertising "free wifi" which I assume raises guests' expectations. What surprised me on this cruise compared to other Regent cruises was the number of people I heard openly complaining about the internet service, often with a very frustrated if not angry tone to their voice. Also, my expectations about internet service have changed over the past years. I'm now accustomed to apps that simplify things that use to be complicated, for example. Regent certainly didn't meet the expectations of a number of guests some new and some repeat customers.

I'm uncertain what the IPad issue is. I have used IPads on Regent as long as IPads have been available. I have not had a problem that seemed specific to the IPad. I didn't have signal strength problems on the ship nor log on problems different from a friend who was using a laptop with a Windows OS. I wonder if some of the IPad problems that are blamed on signal strength are due to the logon interface. Still, even if there is a signal problem with IPads, then Regent needs to address it because it looked to me like most passengers who were using tablet computers had IPads. There were quite a few Kindles and other tablets too and lots of IPhones. The signal problem needs to be monitored and fixed since Regent promises wifi throughout the ship.

My sense is that Regent gives little priority to providing internet service. The reason for my wordy example of no internet/phone service on the last full day of our cruise was not because of the outage, per se, but rather because no one bothered to let passengers know or to update passengers about the situation. So each passenger had to waste time trying to access the service, sometimes multiple times, then perhaps eventually decide to call the reception desk or someone to find out if there is a problem, etc. It was the perfect example of staff seeming to assume that internet access wasn't of enough interest to passengers to keep them updated.

Questioning why passengers want or "need" to use the internet is like questioning why passengers need to drink the free alcohol or take the free tours or use any other service offered on Regent cruises. If people enjoy reading info from the internet in the observation lounge are they anymore out of touch with cruising than those of us who were enjoying drinks, reading books or playing trivia in the lounges? One guest told me that he could take extended vacations as long as he had decent access to the internet for work.

If a luxury cruise line promises free wine, make it something other than the $1.99 per bottle type and if a luxury cruise line promises internet, then tweak it to make it work as well as possible. Focusing on satellite problems doesn't absolve management from fixing problems within their control.

Internet work perfectly fine as long as you used it very late at night when most people had gone to bed. The more users (during the day) the slower the service seemed to be. And yes I used an iPad and what a pain that was, getting kicked off every few minutes!

But did I let this "ruin" my cruise??? No, the cruise was wonderful and being able to use the internet to check in was just a bonus that did not always work!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My point was not just that the internet is slow, but rather that there are problems that compound or confuse the issue that Regent doesn't address. For example, if the sign on process wasn't so clunky and outdated, the slowness might not be such a bother. Now with the new 45 minute automatic disconnect, guests get to go through the cumbersome log on much more frequently (or they give up). The process is like dealing with an outdated operating system (MS DOS, for example) on an extra slow network. Emily was very pleasant, but might she be a bit less overwhelmed if Regent simply had someone develop a user manual with a FAQ section? Such a manual and an improved interface are just basic tools that would help in view of the slow satellite connection.

Regent is heavily advertising "free wifi" which I assume raises guests' expectations. What surprised me on this cruise compared to other Regent cruises was the number of people I heard openly complaining about the internet service, often with a very frustrated if not angry tone to their voice. Also, my expectations about internet service have changed over the past years. I'm now accustomed to apps that simplify things that use to be complicated, for example. Regent certainly didn't meet the expectations of a number of guests some new and some repeat customers.

I'm uncertain what the IPad issue is. I have used IPads on Regent as long as IPads have been available. I have not had a problem that seemed specific to the IPad. I didn't have signal strength problems on the ship nor log on problems different from a friend who was using a laptop with a Windows OS. I wonder if some of the IPad problems that are blamed on signal strength are due to the logon interface. Still, even if there is a signal problem with IPads, then Regent needs to address it because it looked to me like most passengers who were using tablet computers had IPads. There were quite a few Kindles and other tablets too and lots of IPhones. The signal problem needs to be monitored and fixed since Regent promises wifi throughout the ship.

My sense is that Regent gives little priority to providing internet service. The reason for my wordy example of no internet/phone service on the last full day of our cruise was not because of the outage, per se, but rather because no one bothered to let passengers know or to update passengers about the situation. So each passenger had to waste time trying to access the service, sometimes multiple times, then perhaps eventually decide to call the reception desk or someone to find out if there is a problem, etc. It was the perfect example of staff seeming to assume that internet access wasn't of enough interest to passengers to keep them updated.

Questioning why passengers want or "need" to use the internet is like questioning why passengers need to drink the free alcohol or take the free tours or use any other service offered on Regent cruises. If people enjoy reading info from the internet in the observation lounge are they anymore out of touch with cruising than those of us who were enjoying drinks, reading books or playing trivia in the lounges? One guest told me that he could take extended vacations as long as he had decent access to the internet for work.

If a luxury cruise line promises free wine, make it something other than the $1.99 per bottle type and if a luxury cruise line promises internet, then tweak it to make it work as well as possible. Focusing on satellite problems doesn't absolve management from fixing problems within their control.

Based on what I found and shared in an earlier post, the internet and accessing procedure is not run by Regent or any of the cruise lines. It is how MTN sets things up and not Regent and most likely Regent can't change things as the setup is the same for all of the MTN used ships.

Would suggest that you contact MTN with your thoughts and how they will increase usage and thus MTN income and profits. Your ideas about better communications and procedures for accessing the internet are good and need to be implemented by MTM. The lack of Regent notification regarding the internet being down is also due to lack of communications between the MTN employee and Regent. On another line had the same issue where the MTN employee posted notes in the computer area but, no notification by the ship either via the PA or in the daily activities paper. Need to bring this to MTN's attention as well as the employee works for them and not Regent.

Saw were several people were happy with Emily's help and just to inform them, contributing to the crew fund will more than likely not result in Emily getting any share since she is not a Regent crew member. Can't be sure about this so suggest someone ask on board the ship so that good help is not left out of the tip pool as also doubt the included tipping includes the Internet person.

CruisetheC's: I really feel that this thread will help educate passengers who need to use the internet daily while on vacation to understand that cruising may not be the right type of vacation for them. I do not think that Regent advertises "free" internet with the expectation that it will not be available. There are some areas of the world where it works perfectly (still not as fast as cable) and other parts of the world where it is either blocked (Japan), unavailable (parts of Alaska) or compromised in other ways (China).

As has been mentioned, a lot of this is not within Regent's ability to fix. Perhaps technology has reached the point (on land) where the expectation is that the internet will be equally fast anywhere on earth. Someday that may be the case but it certainly is not that way now.

CruisetheC's: I really feel that this thread will help educate passengers who need to use the internet daily while on vacation to understand that cruising may not be the right type of vacation for them. I do not think that Regent advertises "free" internet with the expectation that it will not be available. There are some areas of the world where it works perfectly (still not as fast as cable) and other parts of the world where it is either blocked (Japan), unavailable (parts of Alaska) or compromised in other ways (China).

As has been mentioned, a lot of this is not within Regent's ability to fix. Perhaps technology has reached the point (on land) where the expectation is that the internet will be equally fast anywhere on earth. Someday that may be the case but it certainly is not that way now.

Emphasis mine

It's interesting to note what a large number of people "need" to do these days. I think too many confuse "want" with an actual "need". I mean really - no one on board "needs" to use the internet. No one will die if you don't remain in constant contact via the internet (unless you're a DR with some very rare skills - even then theres still the phone which IIRC is far more reliable). Further if you "need" it for business that's actually a want - you could do your work faster and more reliably from a land based locale.

Edited by baychilla

Based on what I found and shared in an earlier post, the internet and accessing procedure is not run by Regent or any of the cruise lines. It is how MTN sets things up and not Regent and most likely Regent can't change things as the setup is the same for all of the MTN used ships.

Would suggest that you contact MTN with your thoughts and how they will increase usage and thus MTN income and profits. Your ideas about better communications and procedures for accessing the internet are good and need to be implemented by MTM. The lack of Regent notification regarding the internet being down is also due to lack of communications between the MTN employee and Regent. On another line had the same issue where the MTN employee posted notes in the computer area but, no notification by the ship either via the PA or in the daily activities paper. Need to bring this to MTN's attention as well as the employee works for them and not Regent.

Saw were several people were happy with Emily's help and just to inform them, contributing to the crew fund will more than likely not result in Emily getting any share since she is not a Regent crew member. Can't be sure about this so suggest someone ask on board the ship so that good help is not left out of the tip pool as also doubt the included tipping includes the Internet person.

Regent is the one who has the ability to influence MTM because they purchase the service and Regent should work with MTM to make the process work better.

The lack of notification was not a MTM problem. The staff was working closely with the satellite people and investigating other potential alternatives for getting internet on board where we were docked. The staff was very aware of what was going on. My complaint was that by early afternoon staff knew that it was almost certain that they were unable to make any arrangements to get the internet/phones working. It isn't MTM's responsibility to notify passengers.

Regent can certainly create a user manual or FAQ sheet on its own and it can troubleshoot the wifi signal problems on board.

baychilla: I could not have said it better.

CruisetheC's: I believe we have offered the best explanations possible. Regent, of all cruise lines, would have little negotiating power with whomever is providing internet service. They have three small/medium ships that combined hold the number of passengers of one large (not extra large - just large) ship run by other cruise lines.

We have cruised Regent for 10 years (this month) and passengers have understood and lived with this situation for at least this long. While a users manual and/or fact sheet would be nice, based on what I saw during my long hours in the internet café (I enjoy the internet on board but do not "need" it), we noticed very few people reading the information that was available. Is there any reason to think they would read a manual?

I do not think that anyone disagrees with your frustration but I personally do not think that things will change unless or until the internet provider makes changes.

Would really enjoy hearing your thoughts on the rest of your cruising experience on Regent:)

Emphasis mine

It's interesting to note what a large number of people "need" to do these days. I think too many confuse "want" with an actual "need". I mean really - no one on board "needs" to use the internet. No one will die if you don't remain in constant contact via the internet (unless you're a DR with some very rare skills - even then theres still the phone which IIRC is far more reliable). Further if you "need" it for business that's actually a want - you could do your work faster and more reliably from a land based locale.

I'm not sure what the relevance of the distinction between need and want is on a luxury cruise line. I did not "need" elegant desserts, good food, alcohol, pleasant staff, hot water or most other services provided on the ship. In fact I did not need food and water for 24 hours and I would have been okay, but I would not have been happy.

For some reason there seems to be a focus on whether passengers "need" internet as if passengers should be content no matter what they are served and that Regent is doing the best it can. I have no evidence that Regent is doing the best it can with regard to internet service. If they are then they need to find a way to get that message out on board the ship with all the unhappy users.

If passengers want internet that works well, then Regent "needs" to appear as if they are doing something to make it work. Otherwise passengers will go with other choices. Telling customers that they don't "need" something they want such as internet, wine, entertainment, good food, etc., doesn't make for happy customers.

It was clear to me that passengers had different expectations of the level of internet service than they had in past years. Regent can either try to meet their expectations or let the customers move on to other types of travel where the expectations can be met.

Given the inherent limitations of a satellite connection and the additional restrictions in certain geographical areas I'd be interested to know which cruise lines can offer a faster, more reliable service. As I say, we've had few if any problems but accept it will be slower (then again, remember clunky old dial up? We were perfectly happy with that until cable came along) and usually go online at "quiet" times, ie, early morning, late evening or on port days when most people are ashore. I really don't think there's much more Regent can do but if having instant access to fast Internet 24/7 is essential to the enjoyment of your holiday then a cruise (any cruise) simply can't meet that expectation and it's unrealistic to demand otherwise. The luxury lines have to rely on exactly the same infrastructure and technology as any other.

But if this "problem" is an absolute deal breaker then maybe try a nice land based luxury resort with instant cable Internet?

Regent can either try to meet their expectations or let the customers move on to other types of travel where the expectations can be met.

In my opinion, you hit the nail on the head in this statement. But, since Regent can't do anything do anything further to meet the expectations of some cruisers, they will need to find other types of travel where their expectations can be met.:)

RachaelG The tip about seeing if Fox TV is received OK was a good one, unfortunately Fox has now switched fro its earlier analog FM transmissions with which it was easy to spot poor reception by the dropout in the red areas.

Sadly now there is no connection. I have had internet OK when Fox is down vice-versa.

Otherwise agree with what is said. Basically now the internet service is unusable for much of the time. It took me over 30 mins to manage to send one two line email. What with logons, then re-logons then time outs from the mail server.

It never was this bad before.