Unsatisfactory Voyager Internet Experience

CruisetheCs

I guess our point of agreement is that we have different opinions.

I'm not satisfied with either a Regent declaration or a third party declaration that Regent is doing all it can. It is in my nature to seek specifics that address the issues that I and others experienced.

I'm not particularly interested in switching to another line. I'd just like a few things to be improved or an explanation of why they can't be fixed.

I considered giving my opinion of the overall cruise but decided to avoid side-tracking the discussion in this thread. Whether overall I loved or hated the cruise doesn't change the fact that many people were unhappy with the internet for reasons I've outlined.

Your obvious strong feelings on this subject is why some people have suggested that you contact Regent. Passengers are generally not happy when they are in areas where the internet is poor or non-existent. When you receive an answer from Regent, you may want to share it with us (or not) -- it is up to you.

This thread is amusing me. The ignorance people show today wrt (that would be with regards to) satellite communications/limitations is astounding.

As I've said before if you need that big fat pipe with massive uptime cruising isn't for you. Stay somewhere on land and hope your open hotel network hasn't already been hacked twenty-eight ways to monday. There is no cruise line that can guarantee a fat pipe with lots of uptime (ok perhaps if you have the right MOS in the US Navy...)

This thread is amusing me. The ignorance people show today wrt (that would be with regards to) satellite communications/limitations is astounding.

As I've said before if you need that big fat pipe with massive uptime cruising isn't for you. Stay somewhere on land and hope your open hotel network hasn't already been hacked twenty-eight ways to monday. There is no cruise line that can guarantee a fat pipe with lots of uptime (ok perhaps if you have the right MOS in the US Navy...)

It is "almost" amusing to me as well. I admit my ignorance regarding satellite communications, etc. but appreciate people who do understand. You are truly a breath a fresh air in the midst of "babble":D

that Regent closely monitors this CC board, it is astounding that someone has not stepped in. You would think that with the incredibly loyal passenger base that they have always had, they would wish to try to explain this problem.....even in a CYA mode. I am still trying to understand from anyone.....if people other than a certain segment of high sailing day passengers were not being offered FREE internet, would service improve as others might not choose to spend as much $$ on board if it were an extra charge, thereby freeing up more bandwith? Does their sister company advertise FREE internet, Oceania, with the same resulting problems for the same owners and if not, why not?

that Regent closely monitors this CC board, it is astounding that someone has not stepped in. You would think that with the incredibly loyal passenger base that they have always had, they would wish to try to explain this problem.....even in a CYA mode. I am still trying to understand from anyone.....if people other than a certain segment of high sailing day passengers were not being offered FREE internet, would service improve as others might not choose to spend as much $$ on board if it were an extra charge, thereby freeing up more bandwith? Does their sister company advertise FREE internet, Oceania, with the same resulting problems for the same owners and if not, why not?

It's likely that if Regent does come online to open the discussion concerning internet, etc., they won't be able to hide under the all encompassing IMO veil.

Unless they are totally honest in telling it like it is, this thread will continue the way it has.

I don't think Marketing 101 will allow anything else.

Does their sister company advertise FREE internet, Oceania, with the same resulting problems for the same owners and if not, why not?

Included or "FREE" internet is used when specials are advertised for certain sailings. It is not part of their loyalty program. I have two friends (one a former Oceania employee) that were onboard their newest ship, the Riviera during Christmas. Both reported (separately -- they were not together on the ship) spotty satellite connections. One friend did not write for a few days because of the difficulties in getting a decent connection.

Although hondorner's comments have been discounted on this thread, if you go back 2-3 pages you will see where he indicated that the Regent ships had a bandwidth upgrade and that Oceania will be next.

In terms of getting a response on a public board, I wouldn't hold my breath. If anyone truly wanted an answer they would contact Mr. Kamlani.

P.S. Just remembered that RachelG from the Regent board was on the Riviera in December -- perhaps she will add to the conversation.

Edited by Travelcat2

I personally don't want to HAVE to communicate with or KNOW somebody special in management. I want to receive what I have been told I have paid for.

Let me try a different approach. If the Kamlani family were staying at a very high end hotel and were on their way down for their "free/included" breakfast before they met the hired tour guide for the day's excursion, would it be OK if they were told "we are sorry but we couldn't get the breakfast business together today and it's a shame because if you had come down around 2 a.m., we might have had some free stuff for you to eat"?

Should they just be disappointed and move on? Should they demand the food portion of their stay be reimbursed? Should they wonder what other unpleasant surprises they will be facing? Should they demand to speak to the manager and waste tour time?

I personally would rather not havebeen told I was getting a free breakfast and have made other choices as a customer. Does that make sense? And I quit.

I personally don't want to HAVE to communicate with or KNOW somebody special in management. I want to receive what I have been told I have paid for.

Let me try a different approach. If the Kamlani family were staying at a very high end hotel and were on their way down for their "free/included" breakfast before they met the hired tour guide for the day's excursion, would it be OK if they were told "we are sorry but we couldn't get the breakfast business together today and it's a shame because if you had come down around 2 a.m., we might have had some free stuff for you to eat"?

Should they just be disappointed and move on? Should they demand the food portion of their stay be reimbursed? Should they wonder what other unpleasant surprises they will be facing? Should they demand to speak to the manager and waste tour time?

I personally would rather not havebeen told I was getting a free breakfast and have made other choices as a customer. Does that make sense? And I quit.

What you are saying makes sense but you sound so angry. I do not "KNOW" Mr. Kamlani -- I just suggested that you (or someone on this thread) write to him and ask about internet service. If I cared, I would write.

I have already agreed that if internet speed is that important to someone, they should not cruise on Regent. Most people that have sailed on Regent know that the internet speed is spotty - depending upon where you are in the world. I wonder how many customers have actually left Regent because of it. More importantly, did they find a luxury cruise line that has faster internet speeds - everywhere -- including Australia and Alaska?

The internet speed on Oceania Riviera was terribly slow. Slower than anything I have ever encountered on Regent or Silversea. I was pretty much unable to use my ipad for anything other than checking emails. And we were in the Caribbean, so it wasn't like we were in some remote very far north or south area where the connection is more difficult.

Haven't been on Regent in a while so can't comment on the current state there. But the only time I have had real problems was in Norway, when we were very far north. You just couldn't get a reliable connection. If I did get a connection, the speed was fine.

fizzy,

How dare you suggest Mr. Kamlani would be upset by this? Don't you realize that the hotel contracts out its breakfast service & therefore is not responsible when it isn't available. I am sure the hotel is doing the best they can. In addition, nobody should think breakfast is that important. He should be able to do without it. If he wanted to eat breakfast every day, he should stay at home.

ps I think your analogy makes perfect sense & I don't think you sound angry - just logical.

fizzy,

How dare you suggest Mr. Kamlani would be upset by this? Don't you realize that the hotel contracts out its breakfast service & therefore is not responsible when it isn't available. I am sure the hotel is doing the best they can. In addition, nobody should think breakfast is that important. He should be able to do without it. If he wanted to eat breakfast every day, he should stay at home.

ps I think your analogy makes perfect sense & I don't think you sound angry - just logical.

As you noticed, this board follows no logic track...

Anyway, I missed my breakfast this morning and I was home.

Do I have any recourse? :D:D

Perhaps this can calmly be put into perspective. If I am off on any assumptions, please post whatever you feel is not correct:

Regent's internet is provided by an outside ISP.

Regent states (through various sources) that it upgraded the bandwidth on the ships recently.

hondorner posted that Regent purchased the highest bandwidth available (assuming that means from this particular provider). Some posters disagree.

It is pretty much agreed that internet reception is spotty in different parts of the world and works well in other parts.

The OP and I both posted that we experienced poor internet service around Australia.

RachelG stated that it was difficult to get a connection in Norway but once you got on, the speed was fine.

Responder has spoken with the technical people at Regent headquarters every time he/she (unsure) has been onboard but has not shared any information on this thread.

It sounds like fizzy would like a refund for the free internet that he/she did not find satisfactory and I believe feels that the included internet program should be removed. (Note: If fizzy can opt out of internet, I would love to opt out of excursions;) For the record, the last sentence was a joke.

Some posters feel that Regent should respond on Cruise Critic.

I do not think that Regent has any obligation to do so but they should respond to inquiries -- and probably should include something in their marketing literature as well as in their documentation that the internet on board is ....................... (mentally fill in whatever words you think you go there).

Hopefully we can go from here without bullying anyone.

Am enjoying all the opinions expressed about internet aboard Regent. And have experienced other Lines all around the world...the craziest was on a Princess World Cruise when sadly my mother in law got very sick and passed away when I was in the Indian Ocean going towards Egypt.......the Cruise Director gave me the OK to use the crew's internet...as it was faster and more reliable than the guests. Just saying what happened. It was true. And some of the worst internet access I have ever endured is in the good old USA, Florida, New York, and Arizona.

Here's what the website says about internet availability on Regent cruises:

WiFi Internet Packages

Back to the Regent Experience

Beginning with Winter 2014-2015 sailings, guests in Concierge-Level suites and higher will receive up to 500 minutes of free WiFi. Free Unlimited WiFi access is also provided to Seven Seas Society members in select tiers.

Internet access is available onboard via WiFi or from the centrally located Club.com computer center. By year-end, Regent Seven Seas Cruises will have completed fleet-wide updates including:

• Doubling satellite bandwidth to provide considerable improvements in both the quality and speed of the guest's online experience;
  • Expanding the WiFi signal's range, making WiFi available throughout the entirety of the ships including all suites, public rooms and outdoor decks;
  • Replacing all onboard hardware such as the modems, routers and bandwidth compression equipment with advanced technology.

voy_clubcom_sm.jpg

Once onboard, guests may select the internet access option that best suits their needs from the following:

• $0.99 per minute plus a one-time activation fee of $3.95 OR
  • $160 per 200 minute package plus a one-time activation fee of $3.95 OR
  • $29.99 per day for unlimited minutes with no activation fee.

Please be advised that bandwidth-heavy applications such as Skype, YouTube, and MagicJack are not available. One login is provided per suite or purchased package, which may be used on one device at a time. The login may be used across a variety of devices. Service and speed will vary depending on the location of the ship and time of day. (http://www.rssc.com/experience/onboard-activities/internet-packages/)

Hopefully there will be a significant improvement in internet access on the ships by the end of the year.

As someone who is not internet dependent for every aspect of my life, and IF the need/want/must have component were removed from the equation, did these continuing complaints begin to pile up once the FREE part of usage was introduced in the advertising? FREE becomes valuable to some if it works and an immense irritant to others who feel they are not getting what is advertised. I find it bad PR to promote something and then not deliver it...whatever the subject matter is. Perhaps if people knew in advance that their access was not going to be available they might choose their vacation differently and not have to be advised by other customers not to sail on Regent ships.

My question is...was the past system better when some people were given free internet after X amount of sailing days and the rest of the passengers chose a package of minutes at a $ rate that worked for them? If that is the case, is it conceivable that it is a better scenario for Regent to withdraw the offer until better workability can be figured out, with an honest response to those that question the decision? It's not unthinkable that a well-intentioned experiment can fail.

In my experience with Regent the internet experience hasn't changed much in the past several years. My recent Voyager experience was at times worse than prior experiences, e.g., slower at times than I can recall. Getting cut off automatically after 45 minutes of use was new. (That new limitation was not written down anywhere that I know of, but told to me by staff when I was complaining about some of the problems. BTW, there has always been some kind of cutoff time if no data is being transmitted, probably around 10 minutes or so.) Then getting back on line was very confusing since I could never figure out how to reliably get the log on screen to come back up after getting cut off. Sometimes it would come up via one method and other times it seemed to have a mind of its own that would take a few minutes to get to a log on screen. I could go on and on, but I won't.

In general I think people's expectations of internet functioning have increased considerably over the past few years. In the every day world on shore, apps simplify a lot of tasks, and speed is markedly increased from the old dial-up days. Regent has no apps and speed at times is often worse than dial-up that I remember.

I'm assuming a lot more people use the internet on board than in past years. Tablets, smart phones, and laptop computers were evident all around the ship. I was told by staff that Regent had increased the bandwidth recently on Voyager. My guess is that the increased usage has eaten up the advantage of any increased bandwidth. Whether they have reached the year-end target of doubling bandwidth on Voyager, I have no idea.

if Regent doesn't provide very specific information about how the internet functions onboard, I would guess Regent's free internet advertising is going to end up with a lot of unhappy customers because of passengers' increased expectations. And since the "free internet" is limited to a certain number of minutes as opposed to the free unlimited internet that many of us have, I expect quite a number of unhappy passengers. With web pages sometimes taking a couple minutes or more to load 200 minutes of free internet isn't what it seems. I see no way they can withdraw or change their offer. It is too late to do so.

And promises about how things will be by the end of the year do not take care of the next 10 months of dissatisfaction. A letter from the president to passengers that addresses current known problems or shortcomings and lets passengers know exactly what is being done and when a fix will happen would go a long way to show that someone is doing something or someone cares. For example, I'd love to know what the written response would be to the passengers who can't get on line in their suites when Regent's web site currently promises wifi throughout the ship. It is this kind of known problem with no proposed solution that magnifies the perception that Regent is essentially blind to the problems or doesn't care.

CruisetheC's: You do make some valid points. I suppose that we (Regent passengers) have lived with spotty internet for so long that it we have been complacent. As I said, Regent could include a statement in their advertising about the internet being intermittent or something like that. After all, it does work well in some parts of the world.

I feel that having to log on again after 45 minutes, is a way of giving a chance to others to get a connection (somewhat like having a limit on treadmills). And, I think it is good that Regent will not allow Skype (only because it apparently eats up a lot of space). It would seem that the bandwidth could be doubled, tripled or quadrupled and it would not change the situation with satellite communication in some areas (hopefully I am wrong because the internet was the slowest we have experienced when we sailed around Australia).

At the risk of getting blasted again, I agree that more and more people are using electronic. Hopefully people will take more responsibility in terms of learning to use the devices. Many people on the Voyager had iPads or other devices and had no idea how to use them. Is it Regent's responsibility to train them or to simply assist them in logging on and off? Perhaps internet classes could be offered on sea days for the technically challenged. Note: Butlers do assist guests in learning how to log on and use Regent provided iPads.

I am curious what specific information you would like to see onboard the ships. Information exists on how to log on and off already and there is help available. What else do they need to do (besides stress the fact that internet can be slow to non-existent in some areas of the world:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Australia ranks 95th in the world on download speeds (compared to Mongolia at #25) and that's via land cable connection so maybe it's hardly surprising that Internet seems slow while cruising down under.

That is the most interesting thing that I have read in a long time. Thanks so much for sharing:D

CruisetheC's: You do make some valid points. I suppose that we (Regent passengers) have lived with spotty internet for so long that it we have been complacent. As I said, Regent could include a statement in their advertising about the internet being intermittent or something like that. After all, it does work well in some parts of the world.

I feel that having to log on again after 45 minutes, is a way of giving a chance to others to get a connection (somewhat like having a limit on treadmills). And, I think it is good that Regent will not allow Skype (only because it apparently eats up a lot of space). It would seem that the bandwidth could be doubled, tripled or quadrupled and it would not change the situation with satellite communication in some areas (hopefully I am wrong because the internet was the slowest we have experienced when we sailed around Australia).

At the risk of getting blasted again, I agree that more and more people are using electronic. Hopefully people will take more responsibility in terms of learning to use the devices. Many people on the Voyager had iPads or other devices and had no idea how to use them. Is it Regent's responsibility to train them or to simply assist them in logging on and off? Perhaps internet classes could be offered on sea days for the technically challenged. Note: Butlers do assist guests in learning how to log on and use Regent provided iPads.

I am curious what specific information you would like to see onboard the ships. Information exists on how to log on and off already and there is help available. What else do they need to do (besides stress the fact that internet can be slow to non-existent in some areas of the world:-)

IMO, Regent should keep track of the questions most often asked by guests and the most frequent kinds of problems that guests have. Then they develop questions and answers or guides that address these problems. The internet lounge manager will have tons of experience in what guests do or don't do and what they understand or misunderstand.

For example, when the log on process is slow I learned over the years to simply wait after hitting a button to move to the next screen. Because the interface is poor once you hit an enter button it sometimes seems like the screen freezes and nothing happens for a minute or two or more. The button is frozen if you try to click on it again. I'm sure many people accustomed to land speeds then begin hitting back buttons or try reloading the page or who knows what, all of which may interrupt the process. These are just little hints to passengers where the system is poorly designed. Most web pages will give you some kind of spinning icon or something that indicates you have initiated a new action. This one doesn't so it is easy to assume that you have to do something more or that the computer is frozen.

I would have FAQs that address the most common problems with different devices, if indeed there are device specific problems. (Posts on here suggested specific IPad problems, but I don't know if it is just that IPads are so common or if there is a specific problem.)

And, for example, I would either address common vexing problems such as the issue of why I might not be able to get online in my room or I would fix the problem.

And yes, I do think the internet manager can help people who are technically challenged and who might have problems anywhere. That is just a customer service issue.

I would explain all the intricacies of the system such as when you will be logged off, how you determine that fact, how you log back on, how long you will be left online with minutes ticking if you fail to log off from the log off screen, etc. These operational issues need to be spelled out.

Guests may not read all of this, but it is a great service for staff to be able to say that it might be helpful to read such and such a page. And the internet lounge has limited hours so a staff person is frequently unavailable.

These are just everyday customer service issues. Online help with Regent needs to be available too, but if you can't get to it or it is so slow or cumbersome that it is unusable, print becomes the primary medium to use.

And from a PR standpoint because there are so many problems there needs to be a clearly articulated customer response plan that is in print and that staff can use to understand and explain what is being done to improve the situation.

Edited by CruisetheCs
oops, wrong quote was inserted for some reason

I would like to this type of fact sheet - as long as it were not too technical or too long. I still question whether or not anyone would read it given that the log on/off instructions as well as the package costs were within plain sight and being ignored.

Have to disagree with one opinion that you have: "And yes, I do think the internet manager can help people who are technically challenged and who might have problems anywhere. That is just a customer service issue."

There is only one person on Regent to assist guests. I noticed that several people were waiting to be helped while Emily was tied up with one guest that apparently needed a lot of help. IMO, good customer service being to solve problems quickly and, if necessary, refer the guest to a sheet (or class) that can help them further. When no one else is waiting, giving additional assistance is fine. But it is not good customer service to help one person while half a dozen more are waiting for 20 minutes.

It was interesting to sit in the computer room and listen to the conversations taking place with Emily (while I was waiting endlessly for a connection). She is so patient - even when being interrupted or being treated rudely by a guest (IMO, this should never happen).

Have to laugh about online Regent help being available. Have you ever talked to three different customer service people on the phone at headquarters and received 5 different answers. It can happen. Perhaps Regent customer service representatives need the type of list you are referring to so that they give consistent responses.... then, perhaps they could have online help (as long as it does not concern communication between the ship and headquarters...... that is even less reliable). Not trying to bash Regent -- they know how I feel:-) But, this is a subject for a different war (I mean thread)

Edited by Travelcat2

We just returned from 18 days on the Voyager and found the wifi pretty good in public spaces but essentially unusable in our suite (midship penthouse). It was not a slow bandwidth problem but the total inability to login to the Voyager system itself. We have sailed on the Voyager a number of times in the past and this had never been a problem before. When asked on the second day of the cruise, the tech person stated that there was a problem with connectivity in suites following the "upgrade". She instructed us to try to leave our door open and, if that did not work try to connect in the hall. Apparently this was told to others as many were sitting in the halls with notebooks or tablets.

Both iPad and Macbook worked great in the Horizon Lounge.

We just returned from 18 days on the Voyager and found the wifi pretty good in public spaces but essentially unusable in our suite (midship penthouse). It was not a slow bandwidth problem but the total inability to login to the Voyager system itself. We have sailed on the Voyager a number of times in the past and this had never been a problem before. When asked on the second day of the cruise, the tech person stated that there was a problem with connectivity in suites following the "upgrade". She instructed us to try to leave our door open and, if that did not work try to connect in the hall. Apparently this was told to others as many were sitting in the halls with notebooks or tablets.

Both iPad and Macbook worked great in the Horizon Lounge.

Would you mind posting your suite number? We will be on the Voyager for a 28 night cruise -- mid-ship - penthouse suite. We could switch suites if there is a potential problem in our area. Thanks much:)

Actually, I am thinking of a different cruise. We will be more aft than forward. Still would appreciate knowing what suite you were in so we (and others reading this thread) can avoid the area.

Edited by Travelcat2

Would you mind posting your suite number? We will be on the Voyager for a 28 night cruise -- mid-ship - penthouse suite. We could switch suites if there is a potential problem in our area. Thanks much:)

Actually, I am thinking of a different cruise. We will be more aft than forward. Still would appreciate knowing what suite you were in so we (and others reading this thread) can avoid the area.

I simply couldn't resist doing this and I hope you accept it with the humor it exhibits. Here are some quotes from your various posts in this internet thread....I hope this provokes a laugh from you........:D:D

>It is understandable that people enjoy blogging or need to be in touch with family members. However, passengers need to know up front that the internet on the ships may be slow or even non-existent as it is in some parts of the world. If I really needed to be in touch by internet, I'd ask a crew member where they go to use the internet when they are ashore since they always know the best places at the best prices in every port.

>As many know, I post a LOT from our cruises. When the speed is slow, I just do something else and return when it is better. Being on a luxury cruise ship, cruising amazing places in the world is why most of us cruise. I doubt if any of us cruise just to be on the internet.

>I enjoy the internet on board but do not "need" it.

<IMO, this issue simply does not carry enough importance to require Regent to explain themselves. Most of us need Regent to provide the best possible safety, service, food and amenities. Again, if internet is that important, I personally would not sail on any of the luxury cruise lines (since they are all pretty much the same).

I do understand what you find a bit humorous (or ironic) So, while I do not "need" the internet, it sure is nice to have - whenever it is working :-)

IMO, it is good to post the type of information Patti22 posted. Would love to see a "sticky" with comments (positive or negative) of specific suites on all three ships. It would be a good reference for newbies.

I've recently had occasion to see what happens when something you think you need is not accessible (this occurred in Sydney -- not on the ship). After a few days without any possibility of internet access, I realized that I could live without communicating with my friends and family and..... in the case of an emergency, could have picked up the telephone. I did find myself writing emails that would not send until I was somewhere with WiFi. When I finally had WiFi, I must have emailed non-stop for 2 days.

In terms of internet on the Voyager -- I do hope this will be fixed before the next upgrade later this year. In the meantime, think I'll avoid mid-ship penthouse suites which are typically the ones we sail in.