Unsatisfactory Voyager Internet Experience

CruisetheCs

Responder, I did get a chuckle, but not because of the recipient, it is just what happens on this board all the time over the past few years. 'Nuf said about that general topic. I'm still here, and anyone can see how long

For what it's worth, I don't think a topic like this would go on, and on, and MORE on, with any other luxury cruise board, and I read them from time to time. ALL lines experience internet delays. And it depends on where you are, from an explanation given by a poster "in the know" in either this or another thread, not only in the world, but your location in relation to the satellites.

I do know for a fact that Regent has doubled bandwidth, unless a certain senior officer is lying, and I think certainly not. I found it much faster my last cruise on the Mariner, late last year. Any cruiser new to cruising would be disappointed if expecting it to be like cable on land. I'm an ipad user. Often got dropped in the middle (so maybe the 45 minute rule) so now, thanks to RachelG, I'm going to type in "Notes" first, never to lose my posts again.

Discouraging to read so much nit-picking about things which really don't ruin, or "make" a cruise. And it doesn't always matter what ship. Seems "it's always somethin' " Might chase me away from Regent if I just joined this board and didn't have so many cruises in the past.

If you are new here, please don't let that happen. You would just be missing way too much fun on a great line. Perfect? No line is.

Edited by jhp

ALL lines experience internet delays. And it depends on where you are, from an explanation given by a poster "in the know" in either this or another thread, not only in the world, but your location in relation to the satellites.

Discouraging to read so much nit-picking about things which really don't ruin, or "make" a cruise. And it doesn't always matter what ship. Seems "it's always somethin' " Might chase me away from Regent if I just joined this board and didn't have so many cruises in the past.

If you are new here, please don't let that happen. You would just be missing way too much fun on a great line. Perfect? No line is.

Wish you had posted this several days ago. I was one of the few people taking the position that you explained very well in this post.

I am a 32yo going on a cruise in June with my 87yo grandfather.

While I do enjoy plowing through a bunch of books while on cruises, I have a feeling I will be one of the youngest on this cruise. Also my grandfather has his own "issues" and so I can see the need for me to have some "downtime" on the internet every once in a while.

I think concierge level offers unlimited internet for $15/day (instead of the $30 listed above) some sort of special I think.

At any rate. I fully except internet to be slow but I will def want to kill sometime on fb and sending msgs to hubby/family. Also might need to check on some school assignments since I'm leaving in the middle of summer semester.

:)

I am a 32yo going on a cruise in June with my 87yo grandfather.

While I do enjoy plowing through a bunch of books while on cruises, I have a feeling I will be one of the youngest on this cruise. Also my grandfather has his own "issues" and so I can see the need for me to have some "downtime" on the internet every once in a while.

I think concierge level offers unlimited internet for $15/day (instead of the $30 listed above) some sort of special I think.

At any rate. I fully except internet to be slow but I will def want to kill sometime on fb and sending msgs to hubby/family. Also might need to check on some school assignments since I'm leaving in the middle of summer semester.

Hi, I am a bit uncertain as to what your question is. If there is a special for unlimited internet in concierge suites, it may be for one of the cruises shown on the Regent website Here is a link https://www.rssc.com/specials/details.aspx?Id=053a14e1-cec6-49fb-b034-3991007a1131

Our experience with internet on the ships in Europe/Med. has been quite good. Hopefully that will be your experience as well.

Have to say how wonderful it is that you will be accompanying your grandfather on this cruise. It will be a memory that will be with you (and him) always

• 2 months later...

A few weeks ago Regent told me that all of the Voyager wifi dead zones had been taken care of.

Before booking another Voyager cruise, I'm curious if wifi is working okay so all guests can access the internet in their cabins without having to go elsewhere, as some guests were having to do in February. Have more recent Voyager guests been having wifi access problems in their suites or not?

A few weeks ago Regent told me that all of the Voyager wifi dead zones had been taken care of.

Before booking another Voyager cruise, I'm curious if wifi is working okay so all guests can access the internet in their cabins without having to go elsewhere, as some guests were having to do in February. Have more recent Voyager guests been having wifi access problems in their suites or not?

I would be interested in learning who told you that "dead zones have been taken care of". Regent is not in control of "dead zones" such as they have in Alaska. It is simply whether or not the ship can receive the satellite signal. On the other hand, if you are referring only to access in cabins, we will be checking it out when we are on the Voyager next month and will reporting it on CC.

I have never had a problem with the wifi connection within the ship from any location. Now the satellite connection is a whole other thing.

Ditto!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually, there was a problem after the last upgrade. Someone posted that they could not get internet access in certain suites without going into the hallway. Since I was going to be in the area the OP mentioned, I had the problem verified by corporate and was told that they were working on it. It is probably fixed by now. I will check it out next month.

I would be interested in learning who told you that "dead zones have been taken care of". Regent is not in control of "dead zones" such as they have in Alaska. It is simply whether or not the ship can receive the satellite signal. On the other hand, if you are referring only to access in cabins, we will be checking it out when we are on the Voyager next month and will reporting it on CC.

The Regent response was referring to dead wifi zones on the ship having been taken care of. My question is whether passengers are no longer having the problems that were apparent back in January and February with wifi in some cabins.

We were on Voyager last month in 709. We had no problem accessing wifi in the suite or on the verandah. We occasionally lost the satellite signal but we were in some very remote regions, and, before long, we had the signal again. The wifi was slower than home but not so slow that you felt like throwing the ipad across the room. I usually kept a book or something nearby just in case a page was sluggish. Of course, not enough strengh to FaceTime.

I hope Mariner wifi is good to go because I actually have to take an online quiz for school on June 27 or 28. Figure the ship is my best bet as opposed to relying on airplane wifi? I dunno. my quiz is due by June 29, so I could do it on my Lufthansa flight I suppose.

sigh. 2 online summer grad school classes while crusing with my grandfather. fun times over here...

If you go online late at night or early in the morning, you will have no problem. Another good time is during dinner. We are usually finished by 9:00 p.m. and the computer room is almost empty. I take the opportunity to use the ship's computer instead of my own since the signal is the best in the computer room. Note: Be sure to wipe down the keys with sanitizer -- would not want you getting sick on your cruise:-)

If you go online late at night or early in the morning, you will have no problem. Another good time is during dinner. We are usually finished by 9:00 p.m. and the computer room is almost empty. I take the opportunity to use the ship's computer instead of my own since the signal is the best in the computer room. Note: Be sure to wipe down the keys with sanitizer -- would not want you getting sick on your cruise:-)

I absolutely agree with TC, as long as you are very late at night (best time in my opinion) you will not have any problems!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I absolutely agree with TC, as long as you are very late at night (best time in my opinion) you will not have any problems!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks! Good tips! and nighttime might be the perfect time because Grandpa's go to bed routine takes a while, so I could always go on the balcony or the computer lab and bring my laptop to get some school work done :D (or the bar if they are open - dunno when they close).

As you're taking your laptop, you can hangout in the Coffee Connection as reception there was always good - and you can have a coffee at the same time. Alternatively the Observation Deck is great and really quiet most (early) mornings. My husband's theory was as it was the closest spot to the satellite it was likely to have the the best reception. And the view is magic... You might have to grab your refreshments at the nearby pool bar, but it's worth it.

As you're taking your laptop, you can hangout in the Coffee Connection as reception there was always good - and you can have a coffee at the same time. Alternatively the Observation Deck is great and really quiet most (early) mornings. My husband's theory was as it was the closest spot to the satellite it was likely to have the the best reception. And the view is magic... You might have to grab your refreshments at the nearby pool bar, but it's worth it.

Sorry to burst your DH's theory but, the signal coming into the ship from the satellite has nothing to do with the reception of the wifi signal. The best place to be to get a good wifi signal is closest to any of the wireless routers which are placed throughout the ship.

A possible help to improve your reception in your suite is to leave your suite door to the corridor a little open with perhaps a trash can holding the door open. That suggestion was provided to me on another line and cabin reception improved greatly.

The reason is that the door is heavy and contains a lot of steel which tends to block a wifi signal. The routers which send out the wifi signals are in the ceilings of public areas and thus with the door closed to your suite, the signal is reduced. Having the door slightly open allows more of the signal thru improving reception. I personally found reception close to doubled when I had the door open just a couple of inches.

Realize some people won't want their suite doors open even the slightest however, this will improve in suite reception. Just ask your internet person on board as that is where I got the suggestion and they all work for the same company, the internet provider, MTN.

I hope Mariner wifi is good to go because I actually have to take an online quiz for school on June 27 or 28. ...

I had no problem on the Mariner in Sept.

Having said that, tablets have weak antenna's, laptops are much better. But if you want the best reception, for downloading larger files, use your device near the computer room or use their desktop. Late at night is the best for speeder downloads.

J

425/31