Cabin Category changes and Goldstein's Response

orville99

They are the only cabins we book on the Radiance class and we'd be very disappointed if we were unable to get them.

Will you be disappointed, yes. What Royal is counting on is that you will book another stateroom. if you don't, not to sound harsh-then someone else will. Royal ships will not sail empty due to this policy.

People that want 4 people in one cabin will now get it.

People that want 3 in one cabin, will now get it

People that want the connecting cabin-because they need it to actually connect-will have it.

At the end of the day-if no one takes that coveted aft cabin with the huge balcony-it will go up on the website and it's up for grabs!! Same for these hump cabins that all try to grab. Better yet, because all talk about how these are prime real estate, when they do go on line for open booking-I'll bet my bottom dollar-not at a price reduction. Guaranteed, Mr. Goldstein has received a ton of e-mails already and if did not already know they were prime real estate, he does now!!:p

I always chuckle when I read something has changed and the e-mails start flowing from the consumer to corporate on how this was wrong and that was wrong and we love this and we love that. You have now just reinforced the corporate thought how the thing you speak of will eventually be harder to get and more money to get it!!!;) Funny thing is, most will fall right into line and go along with it. Others will b^&^ but stay in line. Others will leave but 5 new ones off the street get in line!!

Edited by Debde

Will you be disappointed, yes. What Royal is counting on is that you will book another stateroom. if you don't, not to sound harsh-then someone else will. Royal ships will not sail empty due to this policy.

People that want the connecting cabin-because they need it to actually connect-will have it.

At the end of the day-if no one takes that coveted aft cabin with the huge balcony-it will go up on the website and it's up for grabs!! Same for these hump cabins that all try to grab. Better yet, because all talk about how these are prime real estate, when they do go on line for open booking-I'll bet my bottom dollar-not at a price reduction. Guaranteed, Mr. Goldstein has received a ton of e-mails already and if did not already know they were prime real estate, he does now!!:p

I always chuckle when I read something has changed and the e-mails start flowing from the consumer to corporate on how this was wrong and that was wrong and we love this and we love that. You have now just reinforced the corporate thought how the thing you speak of will eventually be harder to get and more money to get it!!!;) Funny thing is, most will fall right into line and go along with it. Others will b^&^ but stay in line. Others will leave but 5 new ones off the street get in line!!

I suspect you are spot on.

As much as I dislike not being able to grab these coveted cabins - I will still sail if I have a regular one.

Perhaps the day is coming where they charge more for the coveted locations, like aft, and hump. I believe other cruise lines already do this - at least for aft. I believe the days are now over where we were able to book bigger balconies and better locations at the same price as the "standard" cabins. Heck, if I was in charge - I would up my price on the higher demand cabins .

I just read through all of the responses and didn't notice anyone mentioning that this is common practice on other lines.

Carnival will not let you book 2 people into a room with 3/4 occupancy. If you book a triple or quad with 3 or 4 people and one or two cancel, they WILL FORCE YOU TO MOVE.

I had some people booked in three cabins of quads. Young kids, things happen, some can't make it. When I had to cancel so that now the quad was a triple, had to move them to another room. Carnival will not let you keep a room with higher occupancy then you have booked.

So, if Royal is not being upfront about not letting 2 book triple or quad cabins, I guess at least you are not being put in a position of being forced out at some point. If they are reclassifying D1 cabins without a sofa bed into D2 cabins, then at least you know what you're booking.

Like another poster, I book two double cabins and look for connecting (me and mom in one, my two boys in the other). Unfortunately, what often happens is someone will book 1/2 of the connecting and I can't find a pair that works. Now, perhaps someone had kids in an inside across the hall and needed that cabin. I get that. But if Royal is trying to keep the triples and quads for families, and are reclassifying D1 doubles as D2, then maybe someone over there can do something about the connecting issue. I know if I call and need the connecting pair, they will not look to move someone to help me out.

I suspect you are spot on.

As much as I dislike not being able to grab these coveted cabins - I will still sail if I have a regular one.

Perhaps the day is coming where they charge more for the coveted locations, like aft, and hump. I believe other cruise lines already do this - at least for aft. I believe the days are now over where we were able to book bigger balconies and better locations at the same price as the "standard" cabins. Heck, if I was in charge - I would up my price on the higher demand cabins .

The day is already here. Look at the plans for the Quantum and you will see that all of the D1 cabins are the ones that are either on the hump or a jut out and have a larger than average balcony.

I'd say you covered the issue quite completely.:)

The day is already here. Look at the plans for the Quantum and you will see that all of the D1 cabins are the ones that are either on the hump or a jut out and have a larger than average balcony.

That day has been here for a little while now... look at the D1s on the Oasis Class, which are on a hump and thus have the expanded balcony.

Edited by Dave85

At the end of the day-if no one takes that coveted aft cabin with the huge balcony-it will go up on the website and it's up for grabs!!

Well you've hit the nail on the head with your last comment.

We've twice managed to grab a FV cabin on a Celebrity M class ship - which are held off for 5 people until final payment and which, during non-peak times (which is when we travel) never get sold out.

Whilst I can see some of the logic in holding back cabins for families (but only during peak holiday times) my disappointment - and what your further comments (which I haven't quoted) confirm is that on some ships the very best cabins in a particular category are being kept back for 4 people, until such time as RC realise they can't sell it.

However, I'd like to point out that in some parts of the world we don't have the luxury of cancelling and rebooking without charge as you do in the US so some of us would be stuck with a cabin which wasn't our favourite choice which we then couldn't change (without a charge) once these cabins become released.

Anyway - glad I made you chuckle ;)

Edited by Bobal

And it's happened to me yet again....

Group of us going on 1/24/15 Celebrity Summit. I was able to nab the Penthouse, and now find the adjoining cabin is already taken.

Can't wait for X to start holding back adjoiners and special cabins like RCI is now doing.

I suppose we can play the piano non-stop until they get tired of the noise and ask to relocate......

I realize the 2 cabins that adjoin the PH on the X M class ships are much fancier than the other cabins in the category and that's why people nab them so early on, but it ruins the PH guest who may be traveling with kids and wants an adjoiner.

IMO the e-mail to Goldstein seems very condescending, I'm impressed that his response seems to be free formed and not a template response.

I think if you had listed some of the things that you are impressed with and then threw in some of your complaints you may have received a more constructive response. Not to be offensive, this is simply how I interpreted the e-mail.

All the best :)

I realize the 2 cabins that adjoin the PH on the X M class ships are much fancier than the other cabins in the category and that's why people nab them so early on...

Duh! Talk about creating your own problem! (Celebrity, not you.) If you want those cabins to be available as adjoiners, don't make them "much fancier than the other cabins in the category!" And restricting anyone from booking cabins that are "much fancier than the other cabins in the category" isn't a great answer either. If they're really that much nicer/fancier I'm surprised they're not put into a different, more expensive category.

If you offer me a Chevy or a Cadillac at the same price, I'm probably going to take the Cadillac! That ain't rocket science...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Duh! Talk about creating your own problem! (Celebrity, not you.) If you want those cabins to be available as adjoiners, don't make them "much fancier than the other cabins in the category!" And restricting anyone from booking cabins that are "much fancier than the other cabins in the category" isn't a great answer either. If they're really that much nicer/fancier I'm surprised they're not put into a different, more expensive category.

If you offer me a Chevy or a Cadillac at the same price, I'm probably going to take the Cadillac! That ain't rocket science...

The deal with the 2 cabins, is they are decorated in the old world cruise-shippy style of the penthouse, meant to be the 2nd bedroom of the penthouse. As there are only 2 off those special cabins, they are just in the same category as the S1 Sky suites (total of 12 including the 2 special cabins) which are decorated like the majority of cabins are. They have slightly larger bathrooms, but the door to the verandah isn't a slider like most other cabins, so the room can be a bit darker than the others in category.

But simply blocking these 2 cabins from booking unless the PH is also booked with them, would certainly solve the issue regardless of what category they are in. But release the restrictions 120 days out as I've said would be appropriate I'd say. That way it's bookable for some prior to final payments.

Assigning them their own category, someone could still book them without the penthouse. Restricting booking regardless of category, would solve it.

So your friends should be more privileged?

It's not privilege at all. It's convenience. It's courtesy. It's the way the cabins were designed and meant to be occupied.

If it wasn't intended as the 2nd PH bedroom, it would have been decorated just like the other S1's are.

There are a dozen other S1 Sky suites available for sale (and more S2's), that would allow a family to have their kids with them in the PH if the adjoining was left open as passengers looked to book the non-connecting cabins to be courteous to those looking for adjoiners for family or friends.

If all S1's were booked and 6145/6146 are last open, then sell them regardless of hold. Or release them after the attached PH is booked if they don't also book the adjoining door as soon as the PH is booked.

I've been asked by my TA to swap cabins to allow for someone to have mine for whatever reason, and I always give it up.

I'm a get what you give believing in karma kind of guy. I go out of my way to avoid booking any cabin with an adjoining door just so someone who really needs it can have it. I don't book the larger Handicap rooms for the same reason. I could easily tick the box that says I have a need and get it, but I won't.

May be from my old days working hotels, and being on the front desk side listening to all the guests complain that they need an adjoining door for their kids that makes me so sensitive to the needs of such amenities.

My simple action of not taking an adjoiner unnecessarily, has brought happiness to those who lucked on the cabins that needed or wanted to adjoin and caused me no grief whatsoever.

Well, I guess it would definitely "solve it" for you, but certainly not for others who think they should have the ability to book the best suite available for their hard-earned money - instead of being restricted to only lesser suites for the same money.

Remember, RCI isn't restricting suites, just regular cabins with additional sleeping quarters.

So basically from what I read Adam Goldstein really didn't answer your question about why two people can't book a D1 cabin. Or did I miss read something?

There was no question in the letter.... It was a snarky little rant and I am surprised he got an answer at all. He responded in kind......

Why is it impossible for a sofa bed to be exchanged with a sofa in another cabin? The suggestion that now those who want 3 or 4 in a cabin will be able to get one is laughable justification by unthinking defenders.

It is apparent that the disdainful regard many, (but not all), in ship board customer service show passengers with issues comes right from the top.

Anyway - glad I made you chuckle ;)

Actually-It was not your specific issue I was referring to that makes me chuckle. That was a generalization kind of statement thing as to things that Mr. Goldstein receives the bounty of e-mails about.!!;)

Why is it impossible for a sofa bed to be exchanged with a sofa in another cabin? The suggestion that now those who want 3 or 4 in a cabin will be able to get one is laughable justification by unthinking defenders.

It is apparent that the disdainful regard many, (but not all), in ship board customer service show passengers with issues comes right from the top.

So in addition to changing over an entire ship between 8 AM and 1 PM you feel they can also add moving furniture around between cabins too? They have a hard enough time putting the beds together or separating them according to the wishes of the next cabin occupant.:eek:

Have you ever tried to move a sofa bed? :eek: It's not as easy as it sounds especially when you want to move it from one cabin to another. The most important thing is that it must be secured so as not to open in the process of moving.

I HAVE to assume this is sarcasm. :D

Let me break this down in simple laymen's terms.

The OP wrote to AG - SCREW YOU

AG responded back to the OP - SCREW YOU TOO

Or maybe even more like:

OP: SCREW YOU

AG: As you wish. Have a nice day.

That's actually really good service, actually giving the guest what they wanted. ;)