How much do you use a balcony on a Spring Transatlantic?

CaribbeanIsland

You might want to consider the entire cruise length in your decision. We were on the Crown for a TA in 2012, and of our 8 sea days crossing the Atlantic we used our balcony probably 4 days. However we were on for an additional 18 days after that in the Med and that's where it really paid off!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Looking to book my first Transatlantic cruise. Debating between an inside and a balcony. Cost is about $1200 more for the two of us for a balcony. Is it generally warm or too cold to use a balcony? Thoughts??

We use a balcony extensivley regardless whether its Alaska or anywhere else.

We are on it for many hours.

The TA can be fantastic or miserable just like Alaska. We have spent many a miserable day on the balcony in Alaska. Doubt if I would do the same on a TA, but we would still spring for the balcony. :D

You have to decide how a balcony fits into your lifestyle while cruising any itinerary. We enjoy balconies for slow mornings, drinks before dinner in our cabin, reading a good book etc. Some people just appreciate how the verandh opens up their room and the views, but spend little time actually sitting out. Weather will of course play a part but no one can predict a nice calm sunny day or a cold windy afternoon.

You only mention the inside room as the other choice. Why not an oceanview room? :o Seems like the compromise.

We did a spring TA several years ago but don't recall how much we used our balcony. In October we had a balcony portside on the Royal's Dolphin deck so had sun most of the day. It was too much sun & heat for us so we didn't use it much but others may enjoy it. We'd get a starboard side balcony for a westbound crossing at the same time of the year to enjoy the warmth without the direct sunlight. On various types of Grand-class ships upper deck balconies may offer more shade on the sunny side of the ship...starboard e/b & portside w/b.

Whether the extra cost is worth it isn't something I can tell you. ;)

We use a balcony extensivley regardless whether its Alaska or anywhere else.

We are on it for many hours.

The TA can be fantastic or miserable just like Alaska. We have spent many a miserable day on the balcony in Alaska. Doubt if I would do the same on a TA, but we would still spring for the balcony. :D

I agree! We have taken 4 ta's and 2 transpacific cruises, and we've been on the balcony daily. Also we love watching the sail in and sail away from our balcony. There's no way to predict the weather on any ta, but we always think a balcony is worth the expense.

It depends on the itinerary. If you are sailing the southern route (such as FLL to Barcelona), it'll be warm most of the cruise and you'll be able to use your balcony. If you're sailing the northern route (such as NY to Southampton), you may use the balcony but it's far more likely to be cold and chilly.

We always book a balcony and if available, on the Caribe deck. Unless it's blowing rain (or snow!) I sit on the balcony every a.m. to drink my coffee. Sometimes I have to wear a jacked over my robe and use a blanket, but I go out. Unless it's freezing, pouring rain or hot direct sun, we usually have a late afternoon drink there also. Have made 26 transatlantics and 3 transpacifics with the last transatlantic in Nov. Used the balcony practically every day on all of these cruises.

We're booked on an transatlantic in April and have a Caribe balcony again which I hope to use daily regardless of temperature.

We love a balcony. On the last transatlantic, it was so nice to have one. It was about 65* outside and sunny. The ocean was as smooth as glass.

I am an avid balcony user, even on one of our trips to Alaska - bone chilling cold and rainy days. I bundled up and went on our balcony.

On my TA to London from FLL, I did not use it as much I thought I would.

It was nice to have, especially in Scotland and Ireland where they greeted us with bands and bagpipes.

If you don't get a balcony why not try an Oceanview instead of an inside? You could enjoy the view and not have to be in the elements if they were cold and rainy.

You have to decide how a balcony fits into your lifestyle while cruising any itinerary. We enjoy balconies for slow mornings, drinks before dinner in our cabin, reading a good book etc. Some people just appreciate how the verandh opens up their room and the views, but spend little time actually sitting out. Weather will of course play a part but no one can predict a nice calm sunny day or a cold windy afternoon.

You only mention the inside room as the other choice. Why not an oceanview room? :o Seems like the compromise.

There are no ocean view cabins on this ship.

It depends on the itinerary. If you are sailing the southern route (such as FLL to Barcelona), it'll be warm most of the cruise and you'll be able to use your balcony. If you're sailing the northern route (such as NY to Southampton), you may use the balcony but it's far more likely to be cold and chilly.

FLL to Copenhagen. A little South and North.

Guess we are odd! :o

We seldom use our balcony to sit around for any length of time ... but we always want to have one. It's nice to be able to walk outside from our cabin anytime we please.

Once (not on Princess) DH got Noro so I was with him the entire time. Had I not had that balcony I would have had big time cabin fever! :eek:

LuLu

~~~~

We did a TA April 2013 and used our balcony extensively while going to Europe. There was, however, a cold front 2 days behind us that caught up with us made the latter part of the journey (Belgium, France, Southampton) really cold, and we didn't use it much. The Azores and Lisbon were nice and warm!

Even when cold it is nice to step out on the balcony to look at the stars at night, or just freshen the air in our cabin.

We had a balcony on our fall Copenhagen to NYC ta in 2012. We were out on the balcony every day including Iceland, and we hit several big storms. In fact I bought a bouquet of stargazer lilies in Greenock, and I discovered that their scent was too overpowering for the cabin. I put them on the balcony in a sheltered corner, and when we got to Canada they were still in very good shape. I expected to find a vase full of empty stems.

We hope to use our balcony every day on our upcoming Ruby ta from Southampton to NYC including 3 stops in Iceland.

We will be on that FLL to CPH with you. I waffled back and forth inside, balcony, inside and just today I decided now, after final payment day to add the extra for the balcony. On the Royal, the extra for the balcony will be more than I paid for a TA on the crown 3 years ago. New ship, New prices, but I believe worth every penny. Just got off the Caribbean Princess out of Houston and we had a balcony when it was COLD and still used it several days and enjoyed it every day.

We had a caribe balcony on our TA on the Emerald last May to Copenhagen. The first day out of Ft. Lauderdale it was 70degrees, windy and cold. We LOVED the balcony. Even though it was cool and sometimes drizzling and cold, with the Caribe balcony we were half covered. Sat out there everyday using beach towels and blanket. Just loved the sea air. We missed one port (Azores) due to weather and ended up with 9 sea days. Never even saw a sea gull, a plane or another ship. It was wonderful. Had coffee in the mornings and cocktails in the pm. When we arrived at our first port in Cobh, we loved the sail-away from our balcony with a local band playing and singing to us. We had this in several ports as we were on the Baltic portion as well. I can’t say enough about balconies. Just love them. But if you are not a big out door person then you might not like the cooler weather. There is no way to predict the weather.

We had a balcony on our Solstice TA several years ago. It is the most I have used any balcony we have had, but only because I was trying to learn some music for my choral group, and I sat out daily, with my mp3, singing along to Brahms German Requiem (alto part in German). Only one day was someone out on the next balcony, so I just hummed along. Last year we did a TA on Celebrity Infinity with a balcony, FLL to Harwich, and we seldom used it. WE like knowing we have it, but I only book them when they are a real bargain. EM

The only time we don't use our balcony is when it's raining or when we are in the Caribbean in the middle of summer and it's way to hot. But even then, I will be out there early in the morning and in the evening!

We love a balcony. On the last transatlantic, it was so nice to have one. It was about 65* outside and sunny. The ocean was as smooth as glass.

I am an avid balcony user, even on one of our trips to Alaska - bone chilling cold and rainy days. I bundled up and went on our balcony.

I'm with you!! I used my balcony every morning, even in Alaska! Love me a balcony!!

On my TA to London from FLL, I did not use it as much I thought I would.

It was nice to have, especially in Scotland and Ireland where they greeted us with bands and bagpipes.

If you don't get a balcony why not try an Oceanview instead of an inside? You could enjoy the view and not have to be in the elements if they were cold and rainy.

Reba, I think I am going to miss that balcony on our 28 day Tahiti trip....but it is what it is...and it's going to be wonderful anyway, right?? ;)