Dressing for dinner...

Bagette

I'll be on the Equinox starting Friday, and right now, I am watching one of my most favorite shows: Downton Abbey. And can I just say: I am beyond excited to "dress for dinner". This is my first "real" cruise. I've never had a "formal night". And I can't wait!! :-D

I'll be on the Equinox starting Friday, and right now, I am watching one of my most favorite shows: Downton Abbey. And can I just say: I am beyond excited to "dress for dinner". This is my first "real" cruise. I've never had a "formal night". And I can't wait!! :-D

Have a great cruise :D

Formal night is one of our favorite parts of the cruise, as well. Enjoy!:)

Since you're relatively new to Cruise Critic, you may not yet have come across dress code threads. This is often a hot-button issue, and I'm not trying to start a(nother) debate. Just be aware that not everyone will dress to the nines for dinner on formal night, and enforcement of the dress code can vary, so please don't be disappointed if others in the MDR show up in more casual dress.

Formal night is one of our favorite parts of the cruise, as well. Enjoy!:)

Since you're relatively new to Cruise Critic, you may not yet have come across dress code threads. This is often a hot-button issue, and I'm not trying to start a(nother) debate. Just be aware that not everyone will dress to the nines for dinner on formal night, and enforcement of the dress code can vary, so please don't be disappointed if others in the MDR show up in more casual dress.

It's definitely true that cruising isn't as "formal" as it used to be, so hopefully the OP will keep her expectations to a reasonable level and not be disappointed! Downton Abbey, it's not. However, I agree that evenings on Celebrity have a lovely ambiance, with almost everyone looking like they cleaned up for dinner and put some effort into it. On formal nights, you don't see too many tuxes anymore but most men will have a dark suit or at least a sport coat, and ladies will wear a cocktail dress or fancy pants and tops rather than a gown. Smart casual nights will see men in khakis and a polo, ladies in a sundress or capris. This is a far cry from NCL, where anything goes all day long, or most restaurants at home where diners look more casual every day. Some on Celebrity won't follow the suggested dress code, but they are in the minority, so I hope the OP gets what she is looking for.

Edited by cynbar

To the OP - welcome to the wonderful world of cruising! You have picked both an excellent cruise line and in my personal opinion, the most beautiful ship Celebrity is currently sailing (although to be fair there are a couple I have not yet been on). We also like dressing up - when else in life do you get to do that? Have a great time.

Welcome to the world of cruising. The Equinox is a wonderful ship with great crew.. Do nor forget to sign up for the Meet/Mingle, and join the thread for the roll call.

You are among friends, do not be afraid of asking any cruise question with a post or two, as this site's members is can answer and give high quality advice

Have fun and enjoy

Yes, dressing up adds to the enjoyment of the cruise for us. Even on non formal nights I wear a sport coat and tie and wife wears a nice dress or a fancy top and slacks.

Glad to hear that; I much prefer to wear a jacket for nice meal, if not necessarily a tie. Does your comment imply that I wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb wearing a jacket on non-formal nights in the MDR?

Stuart

We were on the Equinox from 1/31 through 2/10. On the first formal night at 6:00 in the main dinning room I only noticed one man is a shirt without a jacket or tie. On the second formal night I did not notice any man who was not dressed formally. As for the ladies, they always dress up for formal night and I have been on 14 cruises.

We're on the same sailing, yes, we dress for dinner--not to the style of DA, but I do like to sparkle. DH wears a suit on formal nights (first time he hasn't brought his tux). Join us for our Sailaway right after muster at the Sunset Bar on Deck 15, we'll be the group of about 100!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoy your cruise.

Hello Bagette

in the words of Coco Chanel "dress shabbily and they remember the dress.

Dress impeccably and they remember the woman"! so "scrub up and enjoy"

DH and I leave on Equinox on Friday also. We love to dress up. I plan to wear a dress or dressy pants outfit every evening. Hubby still bringing tux and I will do long dresses for formal nights. Glad to see so many still like to dress up!

AQ passengers, or suite cruisers who dine in Blu have the option of wearing formal attire or not - on formal nights. Most of the time we enjoy putting on the CK tux and cuff links; however, once in awhile, it's nice to give the valet a break and go casual (not shabby and dumpy, more business ;)casual).

We have an upcoming cruise on Equinox as well and I think we are in the minority, that we do not enjoy dressing formally....nor do we plan to. We both dress up on a regular basis and enjoy being a bit more casual on vacation. We have cruised with other cruise lines in the past and this has not been a problem. This will be our first with Celebrity and we hope that dark, dress pants with a shirt and tie (for my husband) and a dress or dressy capris and blouse will be ok for me.

One thing I have not seen on this forum is requirement for children on formal nights. There is no way that my boys would agree to formal attire and I do not wish to start World War 3 while on vacation. I'm hoping khakis and a nice shirt will do for them.

We have an upcoming cruise on Equinox as well and I think we are in the minority, that we do not enjoy dressing formally....nor do we plan to. We both dress up on a regular basis and enjoy being a bit more casual on vacation. We have cruised with other cruise lines in the past and this has not been a problem. This will be our first with Celebrity and we hope that dark, dress pants with a shirt and tie (for my husband) and a dress or dressy capris and blouse will be ok for me.

One thing I have not seen on this forum is requirement for children on formal nights. There is no way that my boys would agree to formal attire and I do not wish to start World War 3 while on vacation. I'm hoping khakis and a nice shirt will do for them.

It's very simple. There are other options for people who don't care to dress for Formal Nights.

Glad to hear that; I much prefer to wear a jacket for nice meal, if not necessarily a tie. Does your comment imply that I wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb wearing a jacket on non-formal nights in the MDR?

Stuart

No, you will not :) My husband wears a jacket every night (almost). I wear a dress/heels every night and floor length dresses on formal nights.

I work from home and husband is a police officer so we enjoy the opportunity to dress up :)

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl