you have to pay extra for that also?

Ilovepj

Coffee card: I am not a coffee drinker, but my hubby is (and kind of picky about it ;) ). He has never purchased the coffee card and has been happy with the coffee from room service in the mornings. When he wants a coffee drink, he just pays for it. If you prefer coffee drinks, then the card may be worth it for you.

Sanctuary: The only time we used the Sanctuary was when we sailed during Spring Break. It was a very welcome reprieve from the busy-ness of a Spring Break cruise. If we sail again during a peak holiday season, we will certainly plan on the Sanctuary, but for regular cruises, the adult pool area is just as nice.

I get what you are saying ilovepj. It's a new experience and I took it as jokingly pointing out difference you are seeing being posted.

As others have pointed out, the sanctuary isn't the "adult only" area on the ship. Most of the Princess cruises I've been on the area only has a few people using it as there are many places to sit and read a good book. They have a nice adult only pool area that has chairs with covers. Maybe not with pad like you would find on one of your patio chairs but still nice.

The coffee - I'm not a picky coffee drinker but if you can drink the seattle's best liquid coffee on RCCL - you will have no problem with the Princess Coffee. It's better in my opinion.

I've heard excellent reviews from friends who have gone on the short Ruby cruises recently. Many times the short cruises end up being the oldest ships in the fleet and service is lacking. I wouldn't expect you to experience that on the Ruby.

Once you try all the major lines you will get a flavor of the similarities and the differences. :)

Alas, this is no longer true. Today's coffee cards are cruise specific and therefore not as much of a bargain as they used to be!:(

Yes it is true. You can carry the unused punches over to another cruise for speciality coffeesbut you cannot get the brewed coffee without using a punch each time. Actually on our last cruise we exchanged our elite bar for two coffee cards, one of which we started using. No-one marked the back of the card with the ship name and date.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you'd like to spend something extra, may I suggest the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. Dh avoided my suggestion to try it for years, as we don't do specialty restaurants on ships, but he really thought this was worth the money. You get a photographer that comes to your cabin to take several pictures, and one of them will be included in the $100 dinner per couple. Flowers arrive. Your personal waiter sets up your table and brings you a cocktail (though I'm sure you could have a non-alcoholic drink or beer) with hors d'oevres.. The dinner we had was a delicious crab cake, excellent salad, and surf and turf with an outstanding chocolate dessert. And a half bottle of champagne. And there was a plate of small cookies for snacking later.:D:D:D

Edited by Nancyquilts

First let me say, I am not going with a bad mindset, I was just asking questions based on what I see on the boards. I never paid for a coffee card, and I have been on lots of cruises, I never listed all my cruise on here.

I enjoy being on a ship, so nothing would ever get me down. But saying that, I don't buy anything I think is something I don't need.

So that's why I was asking about all these extra charges I saw or read about.

My son has sailed princess and loves it, that is why I am doing a short one to try it out. We are sailing on the Ruby, since someone asked me that question.

If the sanctuary is for the spa, then that's fine, I don't do massages anyway.

And I will drink the free coffee, etc.

I don't drink, hubby might have a few beers, but he does not drink much either. I already pre paid for our tips, since some one brought that up, I would Never not tip the crew, they work so hard for so little. And we have always given extra the last night of the cruise.

But thanks all for your answers.

Hi, I've been on several Princess cruises and a handful of RCCL I liked some things about Royal more and some things about Princess more, but they're both great lines We haven't been on Princess fora couple years though due to sailing on Celebrity, which is fabulous , and you don't have to pay extra for their adult sanctuary , which on the Solstice-class ships are really nice!

We did compare prices on Emerald Princess with Celebrity Equinox and Princess was way more expensive, so we went with Celebrity. Otherwise, had the price been right we would have gone with Princess.

Love MUTS on Princess, but the entertainment overall is not nearly as exciting as on Royal. Food is better on Princess IMHO than on RCCL , which was quite blah except for their specialty restaurants

If you would have read my last post, you would have seen I am not going on the cruise with a bad mind set, cant anyone ever ask questions without people thinking how my mind is working.

I am just not use to spending extra money for regular coffee (which was what I was asking) and pay extra to sit some where on a ship. But trust me, I always enjoy going on cruises. Amen.

Where is the LIKE button? :D

The free coffee is fine. It's not great, but it's fine. I don't drink specialty coffees, so the coffee card doesn't make sense to me. What does make sense is having my dh go down and get me one fresh brewed cup in the morning. It hits the spot. I get my nice coffee once a day, and put up with the mediocre stuff the rest of the day. It's not that expensive to do it this way, unless you need fresh brewed several times a day.

I've never paid for coffee on Princess. I think it tastes fine. You can lounge in the Retreat area - no charge for that (unless you want to sit in one of the cabanas). The Sanctuary is a "special" place, with special amenities and you pay for that. Have a great trip.

I agree with some of the others....try the syrup coffee first. You might be fine with it. Personally, I cannot stomach it. So, I buy the coffee card. DH doesn't care..he drinks most everything but does enjoy specialty coffee once in awhile so he also buys the card.

The Sanctuary is a special area with extra large and comfortable loungers. It's adults-only but also a quiet place to relax. Attendants are there to bring you iced towels if it's hot, blankets if it's chilly. They bring you beverages and you can order food delivered for a $3 fee. It's not your ordinary adults-only area but is far more luxurious.

Pam in CA, I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think you are as much of a fan of the Sanctuary as I am. :)

HI,

First I saw that charge for a coffee card, or drink horrible coffee.

Now I see you have to pay extra to sit in the sanctuary on the ship?

This is my first time on princess, and I am beginning to think boy what a mistake.

I have sailed Some of RC's nicest ship and carnival and also had great free coffee, and the adult area was free to sit in.

Is this all true?

I believe you are under a misperception that a coffee card is required to get coffee at the coffee bar in the lobby. It isn't, however one can purchase coffee there at a per-cup charge. The advantage of the coffee card comes from the purchase of the more expensive latte's etc. Once onboard, try the coffee, do the math and see what works best for what kind of drinks you like.

We have found that the coffee in the Horizon Court is OK mostly, sometimes ghastly (too strong or burnt). Coffee in the MDR at breakfast and dinner is almost always good, and coffee in the coffee bar is good. It is, however, a personal taste thing. (e.g. I think Starbucks is mostly ghastly).

In our cruise history we have never used the Sanctuary, and after touring it and looking at the service menu we decided it wasn't "our cup of coffee" either. So we really enjoy all the other areas of the ship.

So, take a look at what is offered on the first day you are onboard, make your choices, and have a great cruise!

Edited by Times Prince

Well glad to hear I might like the free coffee, I don't buy any special kinds of coffee, so 33 dollars would be a waste for me to spend.

And I will sit in other places other then paying to sit some place.

OK live and learn, Might be my first and last princess cruise, ha.

The coffee is fine. We order 2 carafes every morning and we bring our own D'Vita Cappuccino to put in it. As for the Serenity area - I don't get it. We get a balcony when we cruise so there's no need for us to pay $$$ to sit in a special place to do what? Sit? There's plenty of quiet places to "sit" - try some of the lounges during the day. We like to be out sometimes just to people watch. BTW, I don't get what the big deal is about Starbucks. We had it one time and never again.

I never paid for a coffee card,

The coffee card is for 15 special espresso drinks, for example lattes, iced lattes, drinks like you would get in Starbucks. It's really mis-named, probably should be called the Espresso Card. It works out to about $2.20/per espresso drink. These drinks can be purchased separately without the coffee card, but cost a little more. I know other lines that I have been on do charge for these type of special espresso drinks. The unlimited brewed coffee and tea for the duration of the cruise is a perk that goes with the card. Unused punches can be used on future cruises, but the unlimited option is for one cruise only.

Which lines do not charge for espresso drinks?

The coffee is subjective. I was so prepared for this awful Princess Coffee on my first cruise I took my own coffee maker...The coffee was just fine and I packed it away. Love having coffee and juice brought to my stateroom every morning at no charge...(except a tip).

This wasn't even asked about tipping but since you brought it up it needs correction. The room service is included in the tipping pool so there is no need to feel obligated to tip.

When I get the coffee I dilute it with a drop of hot water and then the coffee is lovely.

Edited by cruzsnooze

The Coffee Card Is Geared Towards Say "Starbucks" Drinkers.

I have Gold Card From Starbucks So The Coffee Card Is a Must For Me.

I also drink coffee throughout the day not just in the morning.

I don't think the "Coffee Card" is for you but that doesn't mean you can't purchase specialty coffees individually or a good cup of brewed @ the IC.

HAVE FUN!

We just tried Princess for the first time in December and loved it. You will have a great cruise. All lines have upsells for stuff so was surprised by the question. CCL and RCl both have coffee cards and drink cards and wine packages and anything else they think they can upsell you on. Princess was a lot less in your face about it. As far as the Sanctuary it is because you get chairs all to yourself - with your name on them as others have said. I can't imagine paying for them the way I cruise but others seem to love them. There is an adult only pool too just like RCL. CCL doesn't always have any adult pools so it is a bonus over them...

Well glad to hear I might like the free coffee, I don't buy any special kinds of coffee, so 33 dollars would be a waste for me to spend.

And I will sit in other places other then paying to sit some place.

OK live and learn, Might be my first and last princess cruise, ha.

I paid for fresh brewed coffee each morning. I think it was 1.00 in a to go cup. I did not buy a coffee card.

I can drink Carinival coffee. I could not drink Princess coffee. Try it then decide but know you do not have to purchase a coffee card to get fresh brewed

The sanctuary is a lot nicer area then any carnival adult only areas.

Edited by serene56

I paid for fresh brewed coffee each morning. I think it was 1.00 in a to go cup. I did not buy a coffee card.

I can drink Carinival coffee. I could not drink Princess coffee. Try it then decide but know you do not have to purchase a coffee card to get fresh brewed

The sanctuary is a lot nicer area then any carnival adult only areas.

We paid for and used the coffee card - it was good coffee, but the other stuff was awful! I only wish princess would deliver "coffee card" coffee for room service. I don't like to go and have to "fetch it" in the morning when I'd like to lounge around in my jammies in the am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only wish princess would deliver "coffee card" coffee for room service. I don't like to go and have to "fetch it" in the morning when I'd like to lounge around in my jammies in the am.

I hear you. A trick I learned here is to take along some instant coffee (like Starbuck's Via, which I like) and then "spike" the room service coffee with it. I dump a couple of Via packets into the carafe and them swirl it a little. It definitely improves the taste. Works for me.

We just tried Princess for the first time in December and loved it. You will have a great cruise. All lines have upsells for stuff so was surprised by the question. CCL and RCl both have coffee cards and drink cards and wine packages and anything else they think they can upsell you on. Princess was a lot less in your face about it. As far as the Sanctuary it is because you get chairs all to yourself - with your name on them as others have said. I can't imagine paying for them the way I cruise but others seem to love them. There is an adult only pool too just like RCL. CCL doesn't always have any adult pools so it is a bonus over them...

I was just on RC freedom of the seas in oct, No coffee card. And its been awhile for carnival but I have lots of friends that go on carnival and no coffee card there either.

I hear you. A trick I learned here is to take along some instant coffee (like Starbuck's Via, which I like) and then "spike" the room service coffee with it. I dump a couple of Via packets into the carafe and them swirl it a little. It definitely improves the taste. Works for me.

sounds like a lot of work---lol:rolleyes: