Is there an unmarked forward door on the Island Princess?

nojoke

At one time someone told us about an unmarked door on the Caribbean Princess that gave good access for viewing when entering the Panama Canal--I think it was on deck 8.

Is there such access on the Island Princess--and where?

At one time someone told us about an unmarked door on the Caribbean Princess that gave good access for viewing when entering the Panama Canal--I think it was on deck 8.

Is there such access on the Island Princess--and where?

Yes...as I recall the access doors to the forward viewing area are on Baja & Caribe. If the ship is underway use caution as they slam shut very forcefully.

Ah yes the Secret Door on deck 11. However, thanks to CC it is not longer a Secret so I recommend you arrive early to avoid the crowds.

Find out what time the ship is scheduled to enter the first Lock and head down there 30-45 minutes early.

Here is another tip. Do not plan to spend the entire day in one spot. Move around the ship and be on the lowest deck when the ship goes through a lock. You are only about 24 inches from the wall as the ship goes through.

Watch for the row boat that takes out the rope to pull the ship into the lock.

Bob

At one time someone told us about an unmarked door on the Caribbean Princess that gave good access for viewing when entering the Panama Canal

Forget viewing, those would be some fantastic pictures!

If you're lucky, you could even get a shot of the captain

leaving the ship, as his career ends.

Good one Pablo! He can have a beer with the Captain of the Costa Concordia. All but 8 feet of the Caribbean Princes would make it through the canal! I'm sure that "nojoke" was "joking"?

No one ever mentions an obviously much lesser known outdoor deck on the Island and the Coral. The REAR decks. Everyone wants to be up front!

They are either on 11 and 12 or maybe it is 10 and 11, the later i think. Much smaller than the two front viewing decks and no, you wouldn't want to spend the whole canal day on the back. But, we went there on the way out of the canal in the final lock and some of my best pictures were of a ship towering above us in the lock behind us. There were 2 or 3 other people there when we were rather than 2 or 3 hundred on the front decks. We arrived and even picked a lounge to sit on for awhile!

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector
Couldn't resist!

thanks to all of you experts! We’re so much looking forward to the Canal cruise.

It is one of my favourites and we did it on the Island Princess. Be sure to go to the onboard lectures, a wealth of info, especially if the lecturer is Dr Thomas Ryan.

Terry

We were on the Coral for the Jan 19th sailing and used the so called secret doors. As has been answered, deck 11 Baja and Deck 12 Carib. We got there about 6 and there was plenty of room. Think most people were up on Decks 15 and 16. Heard that it was pretty crowded up there. There is also a door at the stern end of desk 15 Carib which goes out to a great place to watch from the stern. Start in the bow as the ship enters the first set of locks, go down to deck 5 for the second set and back up to 15 in the stern for the third set. That way get 3 different perspectives. Pretty awesome to be in the stern and look out and see nothing but the gates and the drop to the lock you just came through. BTW we used the both spaces on 15 and the space on 11 to hang on in and read and sun far from the hustle and bustle of the pool areas

Enjoy your cruise, you are in for a treat.

Here's a photo of the "secret" door on Baja Deck forward on the Coral Princess, the sister ship of the Island. (There's an identical door on Caribe deck.) Followed by a few more photos of the view from there.

7441484386_2773719815_z.jpg

Coral Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

7234851854_1163e667f9_z.jpg

Panama Canal: Gatun Locks by Jasperdo, on Flickr

7222414886_022d4f822f_z.jpg

Panama Canal: Gatun Locks by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Edited by Jasperdo

Caribe is the best because it has both fore and aft balconies for viewing. Moving between them will give you a sense of how long a Panama Canal lock is [hint: really long!]
Baja deck has the exact same forward and aft viewing areas.

No one ever mentions an obviously much lesser known outdoor deck on the Island and the Coral. The REAR decks. Everyone wants to be up front!

I did coral partial transit in November. One of the things I really

enjoyed -- I stay on the ship, while 90% of the pax left in gatun

lake for tours.

Coming back through the locks was great. The ship was empty.

I had a cold drink, and a couple different cameras with me -- and

was able to take pictures to my heart's content, without any

contention.

And, entering the locks first thing in the morning -- the forward

balconies were empty. I don't think many people knew about

them.

An earlier time I was on Coral, they opened the crew pool area

to passengers while entering the canal, but not this time.

Is there anything like this on the Emerald? I see that the Dolphin and Emerald decks on some pictures of the rear don't have state rooms in the center.

No, the answer here is the same as the answer on the other thread :eek:

They are crew areas and machinery spaces on the Grand Class ships.

You found me out! Thanks for the answer. I am determined to find a secret and come back with some exciting news for the group. Now... Must be careful I don't go somewhere restricted. That would be a big ooooops!

Thanks,

Marcus

Feb 26 - Mar 7 - Emerald Princess

2006 - Southern Caribbean 7 day on the Star

2002 - Eastern Caribbean 7 day Honeymoon on the Grand

You found me out! Thanks for the answer. I am determined to find a secret and come back with some exciting news for the group. Now... Must be careful I don't go somewhere restricted. That would be a big ooooops

We do like those forward and aft viewing areas on the Coral and Island Princess though. ;)