SPB. Highlight Tour

Harbour20

Has anyone done the Highlight tour with SPB for St. Petersburg? I am having trouble making a decision about which tour group to use while we are there for two days. After visiting four ports prior to St. Petersburg, I do not want to get overloaded while their. We want to see some of the sites but we do not feel we need to cover everything in two days. The obvious thing to do is get a private tour and have it customized to our liking but it would be too expensive for just the two of us. I have tried to get interest from my roll call but it seems everyone wants to "do it all" while they are there.

TJ travel has a two day standard tour and Alla has a comfort tour, both similiar to SBP.

What to do, any suggestion welcome.

I have been trying to decide which company to use also and am pretty sure I'm going to select SPB. I'm going to do the "see everything" tour but if they have one which is more relaxed I'm sure it's very good. it seems all these companies are excellent and you can't make a bad choice.

Has anyone done the Highlight tour with SPB for St. Petersburg? I am having trouble making a decision about which tour group to use while we are there for two days. After visiting four ports prior to St. Petersburg, I do not want to get overloaded while their. We want to see some of the sites but we do not feel we need to cover everything in two days. The obvious thing to do is get a private tour and have it customized to our liking but it would be too expensive for just the two of us. I have tried to get interest from my roll call but it seems everyone wants to "do it all" while they are there.

TJ travel has a two day standard tour and Alla has a comfort tour, both similiar to SBP.

We did the 2 day Deluxe tour with SPB, so I can't comment on the 1 day tour. However, we did customize the 2 day tour slightly for our group of 4 and made it a private tour. In retrospect, I don't think the premium we paid for the private tour was worth it. SPB uses mini-buses, and their usual group size is 16 people max. With the smaller buses and manageable group size, you can get around just as easily as you would on a private tour.

I agree that this cruise is port intensive, but I would encourage you to try to do something both days while in port. Perhaps consider one of the less active 2 day tour itineraries. There is so much to see and experience.

The Highlights tour does not offer lunch on either day and does not offer the Canal tour by boat. In my humble opinion, I would NOT miss the canal tour - very lovely and relaxing.

There are other options that do include the canal boat tour and still offer a less strenuous day than the "do it all" tours.

I would check with Alla and TJ.

I know that Alla offers the canal boat tour and lunches both days are included on the Comfort Tour. We used Alla for our Baltic tours.

http://alla-tour.com/tours/

Most itineraries of the major companies are very similar. It is the differences that will matter to you as you wish to have a more relaxing experience in St. Petersburg. :)

The Highlights tour does not offer lunch on either day and does not offer the Canal tour by boat. In my humble opinion, I would NOT miss the canal tour - very lovely and relaxing.

There are other options that do include the canal boat tour and still offer a less strenuous day than the "do it all" tours.

I would check with Alla and TJ.

I know that Alla offers the canal boat tour and lunches both days are included on the Comfort Tour. We used Alla for our Baltic tours.

http://alla-tour.com/tours/

Most itineraries of the major companies are very similar. It is the differences that will matter to you as you wish to have a more relaxing experience in St. Petersburg. :)

Another option to taking the canal boat tour during the day, is to take the night time fun tour which includes a canal tour plus entertainment plus vodka. Since it only gets dark around midnight during the summer months you will see all. If you have been watching the Olympics from Sochi there have been human interest store about the Russian Vodka. Vodka is an important element of Russian culture.

A word about meals, during the SPB tour you will stop for meals but it won't be a place that takes much time, and you will pay for your meal yourself. I rather like that choice. Your guide will help you exchange a few dollars for rubles. If I wanted a nice Russian meal, I would arrange to be taken to a restaurant for dinner after the tour. There are many options available when you are there overnight.

Edited by Got2Cruise

We did the 2 day Deluxe tour with SPB, so I can't comment on the 1 day tour. However, we did customize the 2 day tour slightly for our group of 4 and made it a private tour. In retrospect, I don't think the premium we paid for the private tour was worth it. SPB uses mini-buses, and their usual group size is 16 people max. With the smaller buses and manageable group size, you can get around just as easily as you would on a private tour.

I agree that this cruise is port intensive, but I would encourage you to try to do something both days while in port. Perhaps consider one of the less active 2 day tour itineraries. There is so much to see and experience.

The SPB Highlight tour is a two day tour.

I am confused were you happy with SPB? Did you take a private tour or did the group tour happen to have only four people?

We have looked at T J Standard two day tour that is similar. but with one lunch and a hydrofoil to Peterhof. I have also looked at Alla comfort two day tour and they have a canal boat ride which I like. It is so difficult to decide.

Another option to taking the canal boat tour during the day, is to take the night time fun tour which includes a canal tour plus entertainment plus vodka. Since it only gets dark around midnight during the summer months you will see all. If you have been watching the Olympics from Sochi there have been human interest store about the Russian Vodka. Vodka is an important element of Russian culture.

A word about meals, during the SPB tour you will stop for meals but it won't be a place that takes much time, and you will pay for your meal yourself. I rather like that choice. Your guide will help you exchange a few dollars for rubles. If I wanted a nice Russian meal, I would arrange to be taken to a restaurant for dinner after the tour. There are many options available when you are there overnight.

Yes, that is what we are planning to do. The highlights tour followed by the evening vodka/canal tour. We chose SPB because we wanted to eat lunch at the Stolle pie shop & they were the only ones we found who had it on their group tour itinerary. Also like choosing what to eat.

A word about meals, during the SPB tour you will stop for meals but it won't be a place that takes much time, and you will pay for your meal yourself. I rather like that choice. Your guide will help you exchange a few dollars for rubles.

Per the SPB web site meals are included in the price of the tour, at least on the 2 day Deluxe tour. Did I miss something?

Edited by bubbachief

A word about meals, during the SPB tour you will stop for meals but it won't be a place that takes much time, and you will pay for your meal yourself. I rather like that choice. Your guide will help you exchange a few dollars for rubles.

Per the SPB web site meals are included in the price of the tour, at least on the 2 day Deluxe tour. Did I miss something?

My voucher indicates lunches on both days in St Petersburg are included, along with audio headsets, a/c vehicle, admission tickets to museums, one pass for camera in museum, hydrofoil and canal boat ride, one bottle of water per day.

We are talking about different tours. We were talking about the Highlights Tour which does not include meals. The Deluxe Tour is a different tour entirely. Every company has all different offerings under different fancy headings. Some include a canal ride, a meal, a hydro ride, while others are more stream-lined and of course cost less usually too. When we went we made a conscious decision not to do it all. We knew that we would just be burnt out. It is like any other big city, NYC, Paris, even Disneyworld. Is it possible to do all? Of course. But will you enjoy yourself? You have to decide. We decided to eat small but authentic meals, and take the night time canal/vodka tour.

We are talking about different tours. We were talking about the Highlights Tour which does not include meals. The Deluxe Tour is a different tour entirely. Every company has all different offerings under different fancy headings. Some include a canal ride, a meal, a hydro ride, while others are more stream-lined and of course cost less usually too. When we went we made a conscious decision not to do it all. We knew that we would just be burnt out. It is like any other big city, NYC, Paris, even Disneyworld. Is it possible to do all? Of course. But will you enjoy yourself? You have to decide. We decided to eat small but authentic meals, and take the night time canal/vodka tour.

I am leaning toward the Highlight tour as well for the same reasons. How was the night canal ride? Did you go back on the ship after they returned you back after the day sightseeing? Didn't doing this make for a very long day and then having to get up and do sightseeing again the next day.

We opted for TJ Tours All Highlights tour mostly due to their fast and detailed response to our initial request with questions. Since then we have impressed by the fact that they madea slight modification to one day of the tour allowing us to lunch at the Stolle Pie shop which they do not normally do, (Heard so many good things about the pies!!). Thinks all the tours visit the same places so I look for how they react and if they are flexible. TJ Tours won on both.

The SPB Highlight tour is a two day tour.

I am confused were you happy with SPB? Did you take a private tour or did the group tour happen to have only four people?

We have looked at T J Standard two day tour that is similar. but with one lunch and a hydrofoil to Peterhof. I have also looked at Alla comfort two day tour and they have a canal boat ride which I like. It is so difficult to decide.

Sorry, I don't know how I was under the impression you were looking at a 1 day tour! :o

We were very pleased with the SPB tour. They are very organized and have a significant presence in St Petersburg. You will see their vehicles and guides at the various venues in the city. We booked a private tour for the four of us, and there was a significant premium for that. You can see the sliding schedule on SPB's website. If I had to do it over again, I would just go with one of their regular group excursions. For the relatively minor adjustment we made in the itinerary, I just don't think it was worth the premium. We were able to see other SPB groups (16 person groups) right along side us at many of the venues, and they were getting in and out of places just as easily as our group of four.

Another consideration is that with their regular groups, you are provided a headset - through which you are able to hear your guide's commentary. In the private group, we were not provided with headsets. Even though there were just the four of us, often times it was difficult to hear our guide in the crowded venues.

Sorry, I don't know how I was under the impression you were looking at a 1 day tour! :o

We were very pleased with the SPB tour. They are very organized and have a significant presence in St Petersburg. You will see their vehicles and guides at the various venues in the city. We booked a private tour for the four of us, and there was a significant premium for that. You can see the sliding schedule on SPB's website. If I had to do it over again, I would just go with one of their regular group excursions. For the relatively minor adjustment we made in the itinerary, I just don't think it was worth the premium. We were able to see other SPB groups (16 person groups) right along side us at many of the venues, and they were getting in and out of places just as easily as our group of four.

Another consideration is that with their regular groups, you are provided a headset - through which you are able to hear your guide's commentary. In the private group, we were not provided with headsets. Even though there were just the four of us, often times it was difficult to hear our guide in the crowded venues.

I am happy to hear you came to the conclusion that group tours would be just as beneficial as private tours. I have had that feeling all along, therefore, have abandon any idea of private tours and will take a group tour and hope maybe they won't be fill.

I still haven't decided yet between the SPB Highlight Tour or TJ Standard tour, both two days.

We did the "everything" tour with TJ -- they were incredible. When we got back to the ship we overheard others comparing their tours with TJ and there was no comparison. TJ won hands down -- people saw more, better guides and much better restaurant experience (no bag lunches!!).

We also chose SPB Tours for our 2 days in St Petersburg. We had positive feelings about them from the first email I received from them. Like a previous poster, we didn't want to 'do everything, see everything" in a few hours, we wanted to remember where we were and what we did. How you accomplish that is up to you.

Chose the company you feel most comfortable with, not the cheapest price or the one some one recommended to you because THEY had a great time. EVERYONE has a great time.

Cheers

Len

We also chose SPB Tours for our 2 days in St Petersburg. We had positive feelings about them from the first email I received from them. Like a previous poster, we didn't want to 'do everything, see everything" in a few hours, we wanted to remember where we were and what we did. How you accomplish that is up to you.

Chose the company you feel most comfortable with, not the cheapest price or the one some one recommended to you because THEY had a great time. EVERYONE has a great time.

Cheers

Len

Choosing the type of tour you want to do is of utmost importance. However, huge numbers of people were very unhappy with the particular tour company they chose to tour with (at least on the ship we were on) and they had nothing positive to say about their experience.

Choosing the type of tour you want to do is of utmost importance. However, huge numbers of people were very unhappy with the particular tour company they chose to tour with (at least on the ship we were on) and they had nothing positive to say about their experience.

Generally on this forum you see mostly favorable reviews on all the major St. Petersburg tour companies. It is surprising to hear that "huge numbers" of people were unhappy. What problems did they encounter? Which company was this?

Generally on this forum you see mostly favorable reviews on all the major St. Petersburg tour companies. It is surprising to hear that "huge numbers" of people were unhappy. What problems did they encounter? Which company was this?

Most of the conversations complained about driving past sites that they would have liked to tour. The other was having bag lunches instead of visiting nice restaurants. Another was the lackluster of their tour guide. I have a feeling that these folks may have not read the information about the tour they chose very clearly. They saw it was rather inexpensive and just signed up for it. The companies they were talking about were Alla and SPB -- however, some people just like to complain if they don't get what they want.

Most of the conversations complained about driving past sites that they would have liked to tour. The other was having bag lunches instead of visiting nice restaurants. Another was the lackluster of their tour guide. I have a feeling that these folks may have not read the information about the tour they chose very clearly. They saw it was rather inexpensive and just signed up for it. The companies they were talking about were Alla and SPB -- however, some people just like to complain if they don't get what they want.

Muti

I am not saying I don't believe what you say, but I have been on this forum for over 5 years and have NEVER heard that about either SPB Tours or ALLA Tours, or any other tour company for that matter. NEVER.

All the tour companies pride themselves in doing an outstanding job, and very, very, very rarely do we even see ONE negative review of any of these companies. And now you come here and say that a HUGE number of people said those things about two of the major players in St Petersburg.

Sorry, but I really doubt what you say is the truth.

Cheers

Len

Muti

I am not saying I don't believe what you say, but I have been on this forum for over 5 years and have NEVER heard that about either SPB Tours or ALLA Tours, or any other tour company for that matter. NEVER.

All the tour companies pride themselves in doing an outstanding job, and very, very, very rarely do we even see ONE negative review of any of these companies. And now you come here and say that a HUGE number of people said those things about two of the major players in St Petersburg.

Sorry, but I really doubt what you say is the truth.

Cheers

Len

Since I have never experienced a tour with SPB or Alla, I would never judge. I only passed on what I was told. Also, I never said that the people who were having the discussions were any part of the cruise critic forum. Matter of fact, there are more people who are not involved with cruise critic than there are involved who take private tours. How would I know if they are involved with cruise critic or not??

Being called a liar is not very nice.

As you have said, Cheers