Free Stuff? Good Deals?

LetThereBeTravel

I got referred to a travel agent that specializes in cruises. They say they can "beat any price" and their services are free. They throw in free upgrades and on board spending money. Is this possible? I want to make sure I'm not falling for something but if its free how do they get paid?

I have found the same thing and questioned the agents about it. I contacted 2 agents through online cruise travel companies and each had some specific cruises that they bought groups of cabins on. They explained that since they purchased these at a group rate they then could pass that savings on to us and book us a few hundred dollars less per person than offered through the cruise line. In addition they offer additional incentives to book through them including extra OBC, shore excursion vouchers, hotel stay before or after the cruise... One thing I have found already is that the one agent I want to use (she seems so honest and straight forward - and organized!) doesn't have the cruise that I think I've decided on, so if I want to save $500 I'll have to book with someone else...

Good luck with navigating these waters. Sure is a TON of information here to learn!

If you book with an agent, they own the cruise, if you book with the actual cruise line, you own the cruise. This may or may not concern you.

What it means is any questions, changes, price drops before final payment, etc. would have to be done through the agent, you could not call the cruise line and deal directly with them. If there was, for example, a price drop that you saw online and it was outside of the agents work day, you would have to wait for the agent and hope the price you saw was still available.

:) Just food for thought.

If you book with an agent, they own the cruise, if you book with the actual cruise line, you own the cruise. This may or may not concern you.

What it means is any questions, changes, price drops before final payment, etc. would have to be done through the agent, you could not call the cruise line and deal directly with them. If there was, for example, a price drop that you saw online and it was outside of the agents work day, you would have to wait for the agent and hope the price you saw was still available.

:) Just food for thought.

Since I typically save 15% by booking thru an online TA, I am less concerned about a price drop when their office is closed. They are open 7 days a week, so this has not been an issue.

A travel agent should NEVER charge you for their services...they get commission on what they sell...you will pay nothing to them.

Ask for her price...then go online to the ship's website and compare the EXACT same cabin catagory....see if it's a "deal".

I got referred to a travel agent that specializes in cruises. They say they can "beat any price" and their services are free. They throw in free upgrades and on board spending money. Is this possible? I want to make sure I'm not falling for something but if its free how do they get paid?

they get paid by the cruise line. they also give up all or part of their commission when they offer the perks. a few TAs will do this to new customers to hook them in and then depend on the repeated business to make their living. others only offers these perks to long time customers who have been with them a while.

I have never seen any perk offered that was worth giving up control of the reservation. but that's just me.

Just called and checked through some of the agencies on cruise critic here and their prices were the exact same as the carnival website. I mean down to the cent. Zero discount. I'm booking my next cruise on my own. Can't say this is typical as I hadn't ever called a TA before today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk