UA fliers

TMLAalum

Question..

Will the gate agent accept payment for "upgrades" to Premium Economy?

I'm monitoring the seating availability on our flight to HK. If we can keep our separate row economy aisle seats without anyone else booking the window and mid, we should be fine as is, but I'm willing to pay the extra for the same arrangement in Premium Economy if we end up with neighbors.

There are @5 weeks til the flight.

I think you will find this flight will go out pretty full. You can purchase E+ anytime online before your flight. You can also do it when you check in online. If you wait until you get to the airport, the agent at the check in counter will accept payment from you.

I would not wait until I got to the gate, but if you decide to do this, the GA should be able to accept payment from you.

Edited by 6rugrats

I think you will find this flight will go out pretty full. You can purchase E+ anytime online before your flight. You can also do it when you check in online. If you wait until you get to the airport, the agent at the check in counter will accept payment from you.

I would not wait until I got to the gate, but if you decide to do this, the GA should be able to accept payment from you.

Very interesting...I had no idea a GA could accept any type of payment.

Question..

Will the gate agent accept payment for "upgrades" to Premium Economy?

I'm monitoring the seating availability on our flight to HK. If we can keep our separate row economy aisle seats without anyone else booking the window and mid, we should be fine as is, but I'm willing to pay the extra for the same arrangement in Premium Economy if we end up with neighbors.

There are @5 weeks til the flight.

If you are hoping that your row of 3 will only be occupied by you, and having two rows of this, keep dreaming :). Sure it is possible, but highly unlikely. Better is to book an aisle where the window is taken, so that your chance of at least one seat next to you being free is much greater.

Edited by frugaltravel

as Chairsin said there is no Premium Econ on UA. It is a separate class of service on foreign airlines. British Ariways/Cathay Pacific and Qantas for example all have it.

If you want the E+ seats with extra leg room get them now. Because as it gets closer they will fill up. Silver elites have access to these seats 24hrs before departure and Gold and up levels have access at booking. (Plus you can buy an annual subscription to E+ so you can get them at booking without status)

United does not have premium economy -- they have economy plus which is simply the same seat as coach with 4-5 extra inches of leg room at the front of the coach cabin.

as Chairsin said there is no Premium Econ on UA. It is a separate class of service on foreign airlines. British Ariways/Cathay Pacific and Qantas for example all have it.

If you want the E+ seats with extra leg room get them now. Because as it gets closer they will fill up. Silver elites have access to these seats 24hrs before departure and Gold and up levels have access at booking. (Plus you can buy an annual subscription to E+ so you can get them at booking without status)

I knew what I meant, just used the wrong terminology. Was also aware that the seat width was the same as economy in EP and that the major difference was leg room.

In the meantime, I appreciate the advice to book an aisle/window in EP for DH & me ASAP. Even though I'm short, the regular economy seats on UA's 777s are very uncomfortable for me. At least on the return flight out of Shanghai we are in first class on AA.

One other consideration is that these flights are popular with airline employees who have flight benefits that include the employee, family and friends. Their seats, if any unsold seats are available, are not assigned until boarding starts. So even if the seat next to you remains empty, it can be assigned to a non revenue stand by pax during the boarding process. If a certain seat arrangement is important to you, make your adjustments or upgrades ahead of time. As has been pointed out, these flights usually go out full.