While on a Cruise, My Son will be In Europe

kpgibbs

I will be on a cruise to Alaska in August. My son who is 17 will be touring Europe at the same time. However his trip is three weeks while mine is a seven day cruise and four night in Vancouver. I need a way to keep in touch with him. I was told the app Viber would work because it's free. I am now being told it will not work due to it having to have internet connection. I am so confused. I know there is another thread about staying in touch with family. But my situation is a little different. Can anyone help me? Please...pretty please with sugar on top.

You shouldn't have to have constant daily contact - I assume he is not alone and has responsible supervision.

How you "communicate" depends on what devices you have at your disposal. Establish a once-a-day time for you to communicate via whatever means you want (Skype, FaceTime, phone, email). Look into cellular service for your data. if you have a tablet, see about getting a SIM card for it to use instead of just wifi. Your son can do the same in Europe.

For true emergencies, you will both have a phone - use it ONLY for emergencies.

Look into T-Mobile - they are doing free international data right now.

It's not going to be free, but it's not going to be a fortune.

Edited by slidergirl

When on land in Alaska you should be able to use your US cell plan or with any wifi connection. If your hotel in Vancouver has Wifi you are good to go. Many other places have free Wifi ie Starbucks.

When my phone is off for cruises and DD texts me from Rome (we use a combination What's App and iMessage) the messages only pop up when I turn on my phone's data. Remember Europe is 7-9 hours ahead of Alaska. Many times I do not get her messages at home til morning because I slept right thru them.

Edited by SadieN

Given the time difference: 8 hours if he is in England, 9 if he is in France or Italy - there won't be too much convenient time for live chats. In any case, email will be far and away the most economic way for keeping in touch - not too pricey on ship, and free in port if you have an iPad. Besides, part of the educational value in a young person's travel lies in the independence from parental control: are you sure you need to be in daily, live contact?

We have a similar situation this coming April. We'll be on a cruise and my boys will be in Europe on class trips.

In ports we'll find free wifi & send messages which they'll be able to get when they're on wifi. When we were in Europe this summer we noticed it's very easy to find free or almost free wifi (you buy something & they give you the password) my son & his gf used FaceBook chat to send message which the other would read while they're on-line. I would think Viber works the same, you send the message & the other person gets them while they're connected.

The bottom line to all these communication methods is that you will need to have a data connection no matter what method you use.

There is no magic method of communicating while on a cruise ship that does not involve money.

During your Alaska trip, I'd just use email. Time difference would be hard to call or Skype. That way you both can just check emails at your convenience and not have worry about being available for Skype or a call.

After that you'll be home and can communicate however you normally would if he was away.

We do as others have said. Routine "checking in" by email. If a true emergency, then make the phone call. Assuming you don't have any freebie on board wifi minutes and you don't want to buy a package, it is easy to find free wifi hotspots at just about any port or excursion location. You do not need an IPad to access the free wifi. Any wifi enabled mobile device will work. Additionally, most cell carriers provide a limited time upgrade at a relatively low cost for international roaming and/or texting. You can check the details with your carrier to see if it is really worthwhile to you.

DH and I don't use Facebook or Skype or any of that stuff. Nobody cares what we are doing.

If we are traveling out of country, we just email.

Our kids couldn't care less about what we are doing. Seriously.

On our European cruise last year, DD was road-tripping it from TN to Boston.

She had contacts in the US, if she needed anything. Aunt, Grandparents.

Not a big deal.

For those opposed to OP keeping in contact with her son---

DD15 was on a school trip in the Galapagos, we were in Alaska.

We were able to contact DD when she found out (thru facebook) that three of her friends were killed in a fiery car crash, three more were killed and three more were seriously injured. An RV jack-knifed in front of the car.

We found out beforehand and DD was supposed to be kept out of the loop til she got home, didn't happen.

So unless the child in completely off the 'net the OP is correct in needing somehow to contact her son.

Edited by SadieN

For those opposed to OP keeping in contact with her son---

I don't see any posts on this thread saying they are opposed. I can see posts saying that emergency contact only is adequate - that's hardly the same thing.

To the OP, emails are cheap if you compose them on a laptop before logging on to wifi. Similarly, receiving emails is cheap if you log on, copy them, and paste them onto Word or similar, and log off immediately.

In an emergency, the ship has an expensive phone line of its own where he can ring you or you can ring him.

Thank you for the ones that have given options.

For those of you saying I don't need daily contact...please tell me where I said I needed daily contact?

I was wondering that too, I never saw you say that.

One thing I didn't mention before, we are planning on is giving the chaperones the emergency contact for the ship just in case anything happens & they need to contact us immediately. Other than that like has been mentioned find some wifi & send a message.

Enjoy your cruise & I hope your son enjoys his trip