Cheapo Tote Bags

rothbury

I haven't heard this mentioned this year. With all of the cutbacks at HAL I know they did away with the really nice tote bags (still have a few) and replaced them with the cheap, thin ones that don't last. Have they done away with them all together now?

ON our last Maasdam cruise in Dec. we got a blue one. They feel a little stronger, but we use the others we have received all the time for shopping, better than getting the plastic bags that most stores are now charging you for. They are also a good conversation starting tool.

Edited by boards

I thought they would just be left in the cabin on our New Year's cruise but after the first port none had appeared. I saw some around the ship but we got zero. With 4 of us in the cabin and me planning on at least two for beach port stops we had to ask at the front desk and 3 were delivered...not 4.

These were the "new" blue bags. I wondered too if they were not being delivered automatically or if our cabin steward was just not into the extra work. He was the first that we didn't tip over and above the HSC as he really did the absolute minimum and sometimes not even that.

I don't care for the new blue woven bags. I'm happy we have a large collection of the off white canvas bags and I use them all the time out and about on cruises and at home. I find them very handy to have around for misc uses.

I brought home one or two of the new style blue ones but won't bother bringing any more of them home.

They had a nicer, heavier blue nylon bag in the mid 2000s. It had pockets and was a bit larger than the white cloth ones. Nothing beats and L. L. Bean canvas tote. Get your initials embroidered and spring for the Lobster or Labrador Retriever version. You'll have a beach tote for life.

They had a nicer, heavier blue nylon bag in the mid 2000s. It had pockets and was a bit larger than the white cloth ones. Nothing beats and L. L. Bean canvas tote. Get your initials embroidered and spring for the Lobster or Labrador Retriever version. You'll have a beach tote for life.

Those really nice heavier tote bags were Mariner Bags and were given to guests on b-to-b cruises. We always got them on turn around day at the start of our second segment. I love those bags and have a nice collection. :) They are sturdy, a little larger than the light tan bags, much sturdier straps and the handy pocket in the front.

Last I heard, they stopped giving those bags to b-to-b'ers.

On our December Amsterdam cruise, I asked the Concierge why we did not receive the bag, and was told they were giving them out on request only as there was not enough supply on the ship (first cruise after drydock). I always bring along one of the nice canvas bags to use as I don't care for the new style.

If you don't like them or want them - leave them on the ship - put them in the closet - leave them there - maybe the passenger would like another one - Hal isn't twisting your arm to take them - they just offering them as a gift - you don't have to accept them.

BUT don't whine on your next cruise when they don't leave one. I can hear the crying now.

;););)

On this past April's cruise on NA b2b we both received the nicer heavy canvas tote' date=' white with blue trim, and outside pocket.[/quote']

You likely were among the last to receive those nice Mariner's Totes.

I'm happy we got a number of them when we did. :)

Just off Zuiderdam yesterday - got the inexpensive and very SMALL blue totes on the first day. BTW, the straps are too short to use as a shoulder bag which is also disappointing. A big step down from what we used to get but such is life. If you want something more substantial to use, recommend you bring your own.

Just off Zuiderdam yesterday - got the inexpensive and very SMALL blue totes on the first day. BTW, the straps are too short to use as a shoulder bag which is also disappointing. A big step down from what we used to get but such is life. If you want something more substantial to use, recommend you bring your own.

We never received a bag that could be used or considered to be a shoulder bag.