Pocket knife taken on recent cruise!

SRV FAN

My husbands pocket knife (4" opened) was confiscated on our last sailing on the Navigator OT Seas back in Feb. One of our bags never made it to our room (first time EVER)...finally we asked (no one said a word) our steward where might our bag be? He said to go to security. Sure enough...there it was, we had to open it & they removed the knife & kept it for the whole cruise.

Now, I'd get it if it were a LARGE pocket knife.... but one this small? Really? Especially since, in that same bag I had a pair of sharp scissors they didn't take! ????????????? This also was the first time EVER that rum runners weren't in our bags! CRAZY!

We'd have left it with them (because claiming it after the cruise was a REAL pain) but it was given to my husband by our granddaughter & he NEVER goes anywhere without it. Guess we'll leave it at home next time & take a less significant one in case it gets taken. :eek:

So, be warned.....

Happened to some people we were in line with getting on the Explorer. It was just a little pen knife. Kept it until the end of the cruise. Never happened to them before. I also take a small pair of scissors that were only questioned one time before, but let them pass. Guess it depends on the security guard. After all, someone can take a knife or fork, for that matter, from the dining room or buffet and stab someone with it. :rolleyes: I think they go a little too far sometimes.

Gwen :)

Guess we'll leave it at home next time & take a less significant one in case it gets taken. :eek:

Why do you need to take a knife at all? We've never traveled with a knife. I personally don't have a problem with the fact that they took it, especially if they gave it back at the end.

Why do you need to take a knife at all? We've never traveled with a knife. I personally don't have a problem with the fact that they took it, especially if they gave it back at the end.

Well.... We DID have a problem with it...... glad it didn't bother you tho. ;-)

Guess it's a GUY thing, IDK........ as I said my husband NEVER goes anywhere without a pocket knife. It does come in handy at times when you need to cut something....... open something..... and as another poster said..... there are always knives on the ship.... steak knives, forks, etc ....and all MUCH longer than his tiny little pocket knife.

Plus I ALWAYS pack scissors........... again much larger than his tiny pocket knife.

Yes, they DID give it back....but it was a REAL pain to claim it.

It's the principle of it......... that's all. :rolleyes:

Edited by SRV FAN

Happened to some people we were in line with getting on the Explorer. It was just a little pen knife. Kept it until the end of the cruise. Never happened to them before. I also take a small pair of scissors that were only questioned one time before, but let them pass. Guess it depends on the security guard. After all, someone can take a knife or fork, for that matter, from the dining room or buffet and stab someone with it. :rolleyes: I think they go a little too far sometimes.

Gwen :)

Yep....seemed rather silly to me.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Two inch blade on his knife.... over 4 inch blade on my scissors... (I got to keep them).........

Yeah, with steak knives and kitchen knives aboard, it seems silly for security to hold a small pocket knife. But, the way I see it, one either has to accept rules (silly or not) or decide not to travel.

I doubt it will be any comfort to you, but I assure you that even smaller, duller knives may be confiscated. My husband tried to take a corkscrew on a Celebrity cruise last year, but security took it away. Oh, the corkscrew portion itself would have been ok, but the held it because it had a dull little foil knife (maybe an inch and a quarter). It was in his checked bag for the flights, as he knew TSA would not allow even that little knife in his carry-on, but he was surprised Celebrity was silly enough to think it was a security risk. We used the Luggage Valet program and security promptly and politely brought it to the cabin the final night so it could go in the checked bag; that part was easy. DH has learned his lesson and will not bring that "dangerous item" again.

If someone puts a knife to your throat do you really care how long the blade is? The 9/11 hijackers delivered all that death and carnage with box cutters that had one inch blades. Silly, I think NOT!

Two points....

If somebody wants to hold a knife to your throat, they could opt for a steak knife from the dining room. Would you like to be threatened with that little pocket knife or a big knife stolen carving station in the buffet? If that knife is being held to your throat, would you care that the cruise line owns the knife?

On 9/11, the crew and passengers likely thought they were experiencing an "old fashioned" hijacking. They likely thought they'd have to land somewhere different and wait while a solution was negotiated. Scary, yes, but not nearly so deadly. Had they known what those hijackers had in mind, they'd have acted fast and fought hard against the hijacker's little box cutters; the outcome would almost certainly have been different if they had known. New mindsets post 9/11 had resulted different outcomes for unruly passengers.

I have a slightly off topic story for you all.

I lived in Sweden for 3 months durning college. Love it! While I was there I bought my dad a little keychain nail clipper that had a swedish flag on it. I threw it in my bag and flew home with it in my carry on. I get home and give it to my dad and he opens it up to find a knife along with the clippers! I had no idea, but this little pocket knife made it on an international flight and then again went through security for my domestic flight home. this was all after 9/11.

I guess TSA should hire some cruise security people!

Well.... We DID have a problem with it...... glad it didn't bother you tho. ;-)

Guess it's a GUY thing, IDK........ as I said my husband NEVER goes anywhere without a pocket knife. It does come in handy at times when you need to cut something....... open something..... and as another poster said..... there are always knives on the ship.... steak knives, forks, etc ....and all MUCH longer than his tiny little pocket knife.

Plus I ALWAYS pack scissors........... again much larger than his tiny pocket knife.

Yes, they DID give it back....but it was a REAL pain to claim it.

It's the principle of it......... that's all. :rolleyes:

I'm a guy and I certainly don't need to take a knife on a cruise. Neither does your husband. I'm glad yours didn't make it.

Why a pocket knife?

Boy Scout Motto.... Be Prepared.

I have a pocket knife that has all sorts of useful tools on it. corkscrew, eyeglasses screwderiver, 3 different regular screwdriver, scissors, bittle opener, can opener, file and a few other things. Never know when they might come in handy.

But no one allows it anymore. Can't carry it on a plane, can't bring it on a cruise ship. It's annoying, but it is what it is.

As for those scissors, are you sure the blade was longer than 4 inches? I just took a look at the biggest pair of scissors we have in our house, you know, those standard office supply scissors, and the blade from the pivot to the tip is right at 4 inches.

Why a pocket knife?

Boy Scout Motto.... Be Prepared.

I have a pocket knife that has all sorts of useful tools on it. corkscrew, eyeglasses screwderiver, 3 different regular screwdriver, scissors, bittle opener, can opener, file and a few other things. Never know when they might come in handy...

Don't pocket knives always have a tool for removing a stones from horses hooves?

You never know when you might meet a horse with a stone in it's hoof. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Don't pocket knives always have a tool for removing a stones from horses hooves?

You never know when you might meet a horse with a stone in it's hoof. ;)

Oh come on -- where is a horse going to get a stone in it's hoof on a cruise ship?

Edited by mjldvlks

My mum took a picnic bag with her on our recent cruise. Inside was the usual picnic type stuff, plastic glasses, plates, etc. They took her two butter knives. Not even sharp knives! She had to claim them back at the end...

Bottom line is that this is clearly listed as a prohibited item. You either agree and leave it home or disagree and bring it anyway. Whatever, to have it confiscated and returned is no reason to come whining to this board about it. If he can't live without it, don't cruise.