NCL Homeporting ? at Port Canaveral

CarlsDad

"Norwegian's multi-year deal continues port of call visits by New York-based Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Gem for the next three years, with options for two additional years. In addition, Norwegian will homeport an unspecified ship at Port Canaveral in 2015/16 for a partial-year deployment".

Seatrade-insider reports.

Who knew.

"Norwegian's multi-year deal continues port of call visits by New York-based Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Gem for the next three years, with options for two additional years. In addition, Norwegian will homeport an unspecified ship at Port Canaveral in 2015/16 for a partial-year deployment".

Who knew.

Sounds good to me! Still an 8 hour drive but I guess that's 2 hours less than to Miami!

Is there a major airport close near Port Canaveral? How do people who don't live in Florida fly home?

I think Orlando is the closest. I know several of my friends cruised out of Port Canaveral a few months ago on RCCL and they all flew into Orlando.

Who knew.

http://www.portcanaveral.com/general/news/releases/02282014.php

Also check Sanford, FL. Allegiant air. Obscure airline flying from/to obscure cities at a fraction of cost. I flew from Florida to New Hampshire for a third of price. Flew from Florida to NC round trip $100. It is an hour drive or so to the port.

Allegiant is cheap - but it's not an hour to Canaveral. It's more like 3 hours, and during spring break, if there's an accident, it can take 4-5. I would not fly into there for Canaveral. Only Orlando, which is a very short drive on a toll road that is barely used, so you have the road to yourself. If you want to check an alternative airport, check out Daytona.

I just Google Mapped MCO to Port Canaveral and its 47.5 miles. We did this a couple of years ago and booked a private shuttle van for our group of 10 and it took less than an hour when we left the airport.

Allegiant is cheap - but it's not an hour to Canaveral. It's more like 3 hours, and during spring break, if there's an accident, it can take 4-5. I would not fly into there for Canaveral. Only Orlando, which is a very short drive on a toll road that is barely used, so you have the road to yourself. If you want to check an alternative airport, check out Daytona.

Sanford, not Sarasota :rolleyes:

You misunderstood. I was suggesting he drive from Sanford not crawl...:D

Every time we've cruised Disney it was out of Port Canaveral, which I much prefer over Miami. It's just less busy and seems easier to get to. When we haven't driven (from Indiana), we've flown into Orlando and used the ship transfers. Piece of cake. Glad to hear NCL will be based here, even if just for part of a year initially. Anxious to hear what ship.

What's the best way to get from Orlando to the port and approx costs.

Every time we have gone on DCL, we fly into Orlando the day before, rent a car and do a one way rental with drop off in Port Canaveral. The cost is roughly $50 one way plus gas. Takes about an hour to drive. Usually drop family off at ship and drop car off myself then take car rental shuttle to ship.

3 hours maybe if you're taking a Sunday stroll or accidents on the highway. Map Quest say's 1hour 12 mins. I'm thinking that's probably pretty close to correct.

Edited by debnjoe1438

What's the best way to get from Orlando to the port and approx costs.

Beach line, (I believe 528). About 3 bucks in tolls.

I will be glad for an NCL ship home porting in Port Canaveral. Depending on traffic, about 1 to 1.5 hour drive for me. :)

Edited by debnjoe1438

There are also plenty of car services that offer private transfers as well as a few that offer shuttle services from MCO to PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by hencoll

I think Orlando is the closest. I know several of my friends cruised out of Port Canaveral a few months ago on RCCL and they all flew into Orlando.

Orlando is close and it is a nice airport to fly into and out of.

Is there a major airport close near Port Canaveral? How do people who don't live in Florida fly home?

Most fly in and out of Orlando. At least from what I have gathered. It used to be the way and I don't know of any major airport any closer. That is still fine with me, any change in home ports or new ports added to itineraries will make cruising more interesting.

I've flown into both Sanford and Orlando for cruises out of Port Canaveral. Sanford is maybe 10-15 minutes longer drive time, and it bypasses a lot of the traffic.

I've also heard of many flying into Melbourne. I always forget to check that airport.