Careless Installation on the Sapphire

mreasier

Seeing as they now have two pieces of electronics on the shelf, does that mean there are no open A.C. sockets left for use behind the TV (like for charging camera batteries)?

Hope you have a great cruise, Pam!

The Router/Modem is attached to the back of the TV. Somehow it gets power from the TV and does not have a separate AC plug. I suspect it is gets its power from a USB port on the TV. I was still able to plug my laptop into the extra outlet behind the TV.

Hi,

We are delighted to hear that the Sapphire Princess is your favourite ship,we are sailing 15 days next Jan on the Sapphire.Been on a few other Princess cruises but would be interested to find out why this one seems to be better.

Thanks,

Anne & Maurice

We have been on the Sapphire twice and absolutely LOVE her!! Going on the Royal in less than a month so it will be nice to compare to a different ship, although it's a different class ship. Looking forward to seeing as many as we can!! You will enjoy your time on the Sapphire!!

This is our first time on the Sapphire. We were on the Ruby last Sept into Oct in the Mediterranean. This is a short hop cruise and I figure nothing should bug me for that short a time!LOL. I find the interesting thing on the Ruby was that the fridge top was so hot that you could not leave anything on top of it. Certainly not the ice bucket!! They kept that inside our fridge. Love the anytime dining and like this idea of 4 different dining options. Just want to get out of this cold and snow!:)

We just go back from a wonderful seven days on the Sapphire - our favorite Princess ship. I just couldn't resist commenting on a very careless or unthinking installation of new TV equipment. On our 1st sea day we noticed a Cisco carton placed outside of each cabin on our deck. That night we went to bed as usual with the TV on with the sleep timer set. I woke up in the middle of the night and noticed a bright blue light flashing behind the TV. It was bright enough to be very annoying. I looked behind the TV and they had installed what appeared to be a router. I found out later it is to upgrade the TV system to similar to the interactive one on the Royal. The router has a bright LED that flashes a couple of time a second. I went to Passenger Services and they gave me some tape to cover it up. I guess enough people complained - I noticed a few days later that they were going around with duck tape to cover up the LEDs. I just can't believe that someone did not think to test this install in a real world environment (a bedroom with the lights out) before actually installing them in each cabin.

So what you are saying is that you are able to fall asleep with the bright tv screen on but that a little blue light behind the tv wakes you up and is annoying; by the way, how is the new tv system?

So what you are saying is that you are able to fall asleep with the bright tv screen on but that a little blue light behind the tv wakes you up and is annoying; by the way, how is the new tv system?

There was no change in my cabin when I got off on Saturday. I believe this is yet to come.

Hello Pam...What are they doing to the shops on deck 7? Is it a disruption?

They moved the boutique from deck 7 that carried the souvenirs and liquor to the hearts and minds chapel around the corner across from the Wheelhouse bar. It was not a disruption. The windows on the closed shop were covered so you cannot see in and there are quite a few workers onboard working on it.

There is no new TV system yet, they are still installing.

Seeing as they now have two pieces of electronics on the shelf, does that mean there are no open A.C. sockets left for use behind the TV (like for charging camera batteries)?

Hope you have a great cruise, Pam!

As stated it does not plug into AC, there was still one open plug.

I was on the same cruise as mreasier and one of our dinner mates freaked out the night her modem was installed. She thought aliens were taking over the Sapphire when the light show came on in the middle of the night LOL!!

We just go back from a wonderful seven days on the Sapphire - our favorite Princess ship. I just couldn't resist commenting on a very careless or unthinking installation of new TV equipment. On our 1st sea day we noticed a Cisco carton placed outside of each cabin on our deck. That night we went to bed as usual with the TV on with the sleep timer set. I woke up in the middle of the night and noticed a bright blue light flashing behind the TV. It was bright enough to be very annoying. I looked behind the TV and they had installed what appeared to be a router. I found out later it is to upgrade the TV system to similar to the interactive one on the Royal. The router has a bright LED that flashes a couple of time a second. I went to Passenger Services and they gave me some tape to cover it up. I guess enough people complained - I noticed a few days later that they were going around with duck tape to cover up the LEDs. I just can't believe that someone did not think to test this install in a real world environment (a bedroom with the lights out) before actually installing them in each cabin.

You would hate my house. :)

Bedroom: 2 power strips with lights, lighted alarm clock

Living Room: Router with multiple lights, power strip with light, amplifier with light

Computer Room: 3 power strips with lights, printer with light, cable modem with 5 lights, router with 4 lights, 24-port switch with multiple lights.

It's idiotic isn't it? :D

I think the tape idea is good. ;)

Me too! (Need to read other posts before I post!) I need it to be dark to sleep--our alarm clock is on DH's side of the bed because of that.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

[quote name='beg3yrs']This is yet another reason why a small roll of duct tape can be a valuable travel item.

Besides being useful for minor luggage and other repairs, it can cover the annoying lights![/QUOTE]

Like :). And this is not just a cruise line problem. We have been in hotels with the same issue...and then there are often hotel smoke detectors that have a circuit light that will blink every few minutes (or more often).

Hank

Thank you for the warning, I will avoid Saphire.

Also, the little pieces of foil that the pillow chocolates
come wrapped in are excellent for blocking light.

I have used them on door peepholes that don't have shutters.
And, on some ships the emergency light that is built into one
of the outlets has an always-on led. Works well, there too.

[quote name='pablo222']Thank you for the warning, I will avoid Saphire.

Also, the little pieces of foil that the pillow chocolates
come wrapped in are excellent for blocking light.

I have used them on door peepholes that don't have shutters.
And, on some ships the emergency light that is built into one
of the outlets has an always-on led. Works well, there too.[/quote]

Pablo - the foil is a good idea.

As far as avoiding the Sapphire, you'd better avoid all cruise ships with electronics and hotel rooms as well. Undesired "night lights" aren't just a problem on the Sapphire.

[quote name='beg3yrs']Pablo - the foil is a good idea.

As far as avoiding the Sapphire, you'd better avoid all cruise ships with electronics and hotel rooms as well. Undesired "night lights" aren't just a problem on the Sapphire.[/QUOTE]

This report on Saphire sounded so serious, that I felt I should
avoid such a ship.