Careless Installation on the Sapphire

mreasier

We just go back from a wonderful seven days on the Sapphire - our favorite Princess ship. I just couldn't resist commenting on a very careless or unthinking installation of new TV equipment. On our 1st sea day we noticed a Cisco carton placed outside of each cabin on our deck. That night we went to bed as usual with the TV on with the sleep timer set. I woke up in the middle of the night and noticed a bright blue light flashing behind the TV. It was bright enough to be very annoying. I looked behind the TV and they had installed what appeared to be a router. I found out later it is to upgrade the TV system to similar to the interactive one on the Royal. The router has a bright LED that flashes a couple of time a second. I went to Passenger Services and they gave me some tape to cover it up. I guess enough people complained - I noticed a few days later that they were going around with duck tape to cover up the LEDs. I just can't believe that someone did not think to test this install in a real world environment (a bedroom with the lights out) before actually installing them in each cabin.

Edited by mreasier

We just go back from a wonderful seven days on the Sapphire - our favorite Princess ship. I just couldn't resist commenting on a very careless or unthinking installation of new TV equipment. On our 1st sea day we noticed a Cisco carton placed outside of each cabin on our deck. That night we went to bed as usual with the TV on with the sleep timer set. I woke up in the middle of the night and noticed a bright blue light flashing behind the TV. It was bright enough to be very annoying. I looked behind the TV and they had installed what appeared to be a router. I found out later it is to upgrade the TV system to similar to the interactive one on the Royal. The router has a bright LED that flashes a couple of time a second. I went to Passenger Services and they gave me some tape to cover it up. I guess enough people complained - I noticed a few days later that they were going around with duck tape to cover up the LEDs. I just can't believe that someone did not think to test this install in a real world environment (a bedroom with the lights out) before actually installing them in each cabin.

Hi,

We are delighted to hear that the Sapphire Princess is your favourite ship,we are sailing 15 days next Jan on the Sapphire.Been on a few other Princess cruises but would be interested to find out why this one seems to be better.

Thanks,

Anne & Maurice

interesting we had the new TV installed in our cabin while on the sapphire and we did not have a blinking light and we had 10 days I think or thereabouts we had the install early in on the 12 days

interesting we had the new TV installed in our cabin while on the sapphire and we did not have a blinking light and we had 10 days I think or thereabouts we had the install early in on the 12 days

It was not with the TV install. We were on B2Bs in late Jan when the TVs were installed. This was a separate install last week. The routers are a separate piece of equipment from the TV.

Hi,

We are delighted to hear that the Sapphire Princess is your favourite ship,we are sailing 15 days next Jan on the Sapphire.Been on a few other Princess cruises but would be interested to find out why this one seems to be better.

Thanks,

Anne & Maurice

We like all the Grand Class ships (Grand, Star, Golden, Sapphire, and Diamond). They hold about 2,600 to 2,700 passengers. The Super Grand class ships (Caribbean, Emerald, Ruby, Crown) are very similar in public spaces but have and extra deck of passengers (about 500 people) which makes them feel more crowded. Additionally the Grand Class ships have a covered pool which is very appreciated on cool weather cruises. We like both the Diamond and the Sapphire because they have a much wider Promenade Deck with real loungers and they have 4 smaller anytime dining rooms instead of 2 large ones. Finally we like the Sapphire a little more than the Diamond because it has an International Café and Alfredo's pizza. We have not yet sailed on the Coral or the Island but many people like them very much.

I meant the ones installed on Royal, could have been a slightly different box construction with no or a less annoying light. Hence it hadn't come up as an issue yet.

For example, in the newer models, the green LEDs on some routers are MUCH brighter.

No, there were no prior ones.

I'm on the Sapphire right now. The new TV is installed and they upgraded the cable box system yesterday. Didn't notice any flashing lights.

They may have covered them.

They are there, and in the mini times 2.

Room has to be completely dark.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Did not see any flashing lights on the ones on Royal, or any tape that might be covering them up, and I had a good look round the TV including the sides, underneath, top etc to see what connectors were available.

Even on the regular tvs there is a bright light that stays on all night. I prop my camera case in front of it or it bothers me.

The good news is they are apparently installing the upgraded interactive tvs in other ships than the Royal! I loved that feature on Celebrity.

Even on the regular tvs there is a bright light that stays on all night. I prop my camera case in front of it or it bothers me.

The good news is they are apparently installing the upgraded interactive tvs in other ships than the Royal! I loved that feature on Celebrity.

These are by far brighter and more annoying. :(

I'm on the Sapphire right now. The new TV is installed and they upgraded the cable box system yesterday. Didn't notice any flashing lights.

Pam,

Does the upgraded cable box allow for the movies on demand feature:confused:

I use socks to cover up the bright, blinking TV lights. When I leave the cruise, I obviously take them with me and the next person can figure out what to do.

Duct tape is a great idea! My little socks tend to slip off the components.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

A week off the Sapphire and we had a mini. 2 tvs, turn one on, the other goes off. Not always true, sometimes both would come on, and wife wasn't happy with ESPN at 0600.

My biggest complaint, was the lack of heat and jets on the majority of hot tubs.

Saving grace , one boutique was shut down, so less shopping.

Tim

Seeing as they now have two pieces of electronics on the shelf, does that mean there are no open A.C. sockets left for use behind the TV (like for charging camera batteries)?

Hope you have a great cruise, Pam!