Sanctuary

fatdolly

If one did want to try for a chair in the sanctuary where do you go to reserve? Also the Cabana what is their price

Sanctuary - go TO the Sanctuary as early as you can after boarding for reservation for the whole week. Each morning for a daily pass. This holds true if it is a cruise where the Sanctuary is wanted by many (Caribbean cruises maybe?)

I have (so far) cruised out of LA and HOU and the Sanctuary was empty most of the time (5 cruises).

Don't know about the Cabanas.

"I have (so far) cruised out of LA and HOU and the Sanctuary was empty most of the time (5 cruises)."

To the uninitiated, the Sanctuary may appear to be empty a lot, but it is also not easy to see everything inside from the outside and the chairs may be sold/reserved and the "owners" may be about the ship eating or doing an activity or gone to the washroom or gone ashore if in port, etc.

I am sure occupancy demand varies depending on location of cruise, type of cruise, weather and demographics.

That said, the Caribbean itineraries generally see high demand, with less demand on port-intensive trips for weekly reservations. ATSEA days are especially popular and require lining up early in the morning for a day chair rental.

It remains to be seen with the doubling of prices whether demand remains as high as it has been.

I have been on 5 Caribbean cruises over the past 5 winter seasons, booking full week in the Sanctuary for all but the first where we did selective day bookings. This is on 3 different ships, 4 7-day cruises and 1 10-day cruise. Some of these were popular B2B itineraries and continuing passengers always get first crack at renewing their reservation.

In every situation all of the available chairs for full cruise reservation were gone relatively early on embarkation day and in the most recent seasons, said inventory has been taken up well before the end of the noon hour.

The official split was supposed to be only 50% inventory allowed for full cruise booking, but I did notice that on our EMERALD voyage earlier this month, >50% went for cruise bookings and I believe this was due in part to a number of holdover B2Bers maintaining their bookings. Less chairs were open for daily rentals.

DISCLAIMERS - I have never cruised out of the west coast. I can also see some lesser interest in Houston cruises during the winter as the first day and last day must have quite cooler weather.

• 11 months later...

Does Dawn have cabanas in the Sanctuary, or just lounges?

Is the $40 rate per person, or per cabin?

If we race on board (as Suite pax) and book in the Sanctuary, do we book the same lounges for the entire cruise, or is it first come first serve each day in the Sanctuary for which lounges are available to us?

Is the $40 rate per person, or per cabin? per person

If we race on board (as Suite pax) and book in the Sanctuary, do we book the same lounges for the entire cruise, or is it first come first serve each day in the Sanctuary for which lounges are available to us?

When you book for the full cruise, you get to select which lounger and it will be yours the entire time.

Does Dawn have cabanas in the Sanctuary, or just lounges?

Is the $40 rate per person, or per cabin?

I would expect Dawn to be the same as Sun, and if so, no, there are no cabanas. However most of the loungers are in partial shade.

It's $40 per person per day, or $20 for a half day. $30 per person per day if you book for the whole cruise. On our Christmas cruise on Sun they appeared to be taking bookings for individual days on embarkation day but that is not the norm I believe, you usually have to go up there each morning to book.

A certain number of loungers are available for the whole cruise. You pick which ones you want - the two either side of the middle planter at the bow end are the best - and those loungers are yours for the whole cruise. You just come and go as you choose.

Thank you OzKiwiJJ!

When you say those particular loungers are "best", what makes them "best" to you?

Trying to figure out if this is a good deal. $60 a day for us seems a little steep. We have experience in HAL's cabanas for $35-45 per day (per cabana, not per person). That includes a couple glasses of champagne every day per person, but it sounds like the Sanctuary has food and non alcoholic beverages only. Just trying to figure out what is costing 30% more.

Any thoughts? How varied and special was the food and drink?

Thank you OzKiwiJJ!

When you say those particular loungers are "best", what makes them "best" to you?

Trying to figure out if this is a good deal. $60 a day for us seems a little steep. We have experience in HAL's cabanas for $35-45 per day (per cabana, not per person). That includes a couple glasses of champagne every day per person, but it sounds like the Sanctuary has food and non alcoholic beverages only. Just trying to figure out what is costing 30% more.

Any thoughts? How varied and special was the food and drink?

Those loungers are the furtherest away from the entrance to the Sanctuary so just a tad more private when people come wandering through. Also if you're heading into the wind the back of the sun-lounger shelters you from excess breeze, and with a tail wind you catch the most breeze. You're closest to the splash pool so it feels nicer.

You get an unlimited supply of chilled water (lemon or cucumber), cool facecloths, a platter of fresh fruit and a very substantial afternoon tea served at your sunlounger - sandwiches, cakes and scones with jam and cream. You can order off a lunch menu at extra cost but we tended to just go down to the MDR for lunch.

What you are really paying for is peace and quiet, and great service. It's a small area, far enough away from MUTS to avoid most of the noise. Since it's on the top deck and right at the bow there aren't many people wandering through the area. It is, indeed, a sanctuary.

Edit - the sunloungers are very well padded, almost like a bed, and covered with lovely big thick towels. It's a very comfortable place to while away the hours at sea, or to relax after exploring on a port day.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Supply and demand.

Yes, I understand it used to be a lot cheaper.

On our cruise, on Sun Princess, there weren't that many people using it. One other couple apart from us booked it for the whole cruise, and it was popular in the afternoons of sea days.

I did think it was value for money as we really wanted a quiet place to chill out and relax after a very stressful few months, but I can see that many people wouldn't want to pay the extra.