Two ships that pass in the night

Scrapnana

At about 1am QE time and 12am QV time the two ships passed near Moreton Island, Australia.

50ec8f71-e40c-4467-920e-a9213ab2d47c_zps0223d8dd.jpg

I only have a point and shoot camera and this was the best shot I got of the QV.

P.S. Don, I was waving!

Kathi

Wonderful shot! I think you have captured the first at-sea meeting of two Cunard Queens since the original QM and QE made their final transatlantic meeting.

2hf2gwy.jpg

The QM2 taken from the QE in May 2012. I wouldn't call it a meeting though but we were in sight for about an hour.

Thank you, Kathi, for sharing a memorable photograph with us. You might be interested in hearing Stephen Payne speak of two ships that passed in the night for the very last time on September 25, 1967 - RMS Queen Mary and RMS Queen Elizabeth. Listen to minutes 5:00 - 7:30 of his The Genesis of a Queen: Queen Mary 2 lecture at Webb Institute.

Thanks, Paul

A great picture of QV :)

As for ships that pass in the night, here is my video of QE2 and QM2 crossing in the channel in September 2007 as part of QE2's 40th anniversary voyage.

Edited by Lanky Lad

At about 1am QE time and 12am QV time the two ships passed near Moreton Island, Australia.

50ec8f71-e40c-4467-920e-a9213ab2d47c_zps0223d8dd.jpg

I only have a point and shoot camera and this was the best shot I got of the QV.

P.S. Don, I was waving!

Kathi

after spending the day asking people, no one seemed to be able to tell us what time we were going to pass so it was a complete fluke that i was walking on deck just as she came into view ahead of us and sailed down alongside. Unfortunately it was an empty deck so she passed pretty well unnoticed apart form us Kathi…

but she was still a lovely sight, the QE all lit, sailing passed in the dark of night. sigh…...

Next time I see her will be for the world next year….

http://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz

roscoe

Edited by roscoe39

Thank you, Kathi, for sharing a memorable photograph with us. You might be interested in hearing Stephen Payne speak of two ships that passed in the night for the very last time on September 25, 1967 - RMS Queen Mary and RMS Queen Elizabeth. Listen to minutes 5:00 - 7:30 of his The Genesis of a Queen: Queen Mary 2 lecture at Webb Institute.

Thanks, Paul

I was a child aboard Queen Mary when we passed Queen Elizabeth mid ocean. It was well announced and was a beautiful day. The QE appeared first as a smoke trail above the horizon then very rapidly came close alongside. The ships were both doing near 30 knots for a closing speed of almost 60 knots! The passing was saluted by both ships and was over very quickly. Never to be forgotten.

I was a child aboard Queen Mary when we passed Queen Elizabeth mid ocean. It was well announced and was a beautiful day. The QE appeared first as a smoke trail above the horizon then very rapidly came close alongside. The ships were both doing near 30 knots for a closing speed of almost 60 knots! The passing was saluted by both ships and was over very quickly. Never to be forgotten.
What a grand event to have to remember. Lucky you for having been there and for having been old enough to appreciate the moment. (My mother never forgave me for not remembering being taken to the World's Fair at age three.)

I was hoping that something would be mentioned about the passing on board but I seemed to be the only passenger who realized it was to occur.

A number of people left the QE in Sydney and will pick up the QV for the ride back.i