What Was The Funnest Thing a Passenger Said to You?

4x4bob

Have you ever been surprised by what a follow passenger said to You?

I will start with this.

2nd day was a At Sea Day. So, I jumped up early to go explore the ship. I shaved and showered, at this point you are thinking too much information, Right? Keep reading.

I was on deck 8 headed for deck 15. As I stepped into the elevator I pushed the button and turned back to the door. There was 5 other people already in the elevator.

From behind me I hear a Lady state "Did you take a warm bath today?"

At that point I wondered what the protocol was? Do I go Sniff Sniff first or do I answer the question? So, I turned around and said Pardon Me, what was your question?

She repeated "Did you take a warm bath today? I asked her "Why?" She answered because the four of us in two different cabins had only cold water. OK, glad it was not me. She then stated they were on Deck 9.

So what was your funny for the day?

Bob

Edited by 4x4bob

It wasn't funny but it made my day. I was walking to meet my friend who was by the pool. This random lady came over to me to ask me if I'd seen my pictures? I kinda gave her a funny look and said umm not yet, she then told me my pictures were beautiful and I had to see them! I don't get random compliments often so I was pretty happy. My pictures were pretty nice, mostly cause the sombrero I put on exactly matched my shirt.

On my 2nd cruise I was standing by the elevator with my hubby and this older gentleman came up to me to tell me I looked beautiful. I couldn't stop smiling! It made my evening!

Cruising is good for my ego lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This wasn't said directly to me, but in my presence...

We were in line to get on the tender to return to the ship. Probably the next to the last tender, so the tender had traveled back and forth many times during the day.

The comment: someone should wash this tender, it is dirty.

She was looking at all the salt build-up on the glass windows:D

ROTFL

It wasn't funny but it made my day. I was walking to meet my friend who was by the pool. This random lady came over to me to ask me if I'd seen my pictures? I kinda gave her a funny look and said umm not yet, she then told me my pictures were beautiful and I had to see them! I don't get random compliments often so I was pretty happy. My pictures were pretty nice, mostly cause the sombrero I put on exactly matched my shirt.

On my 2nd cruise I was standing by the elevator with my hubby and this older gentleman came up to me to tell me I looked beautiful. I couldn't stop smiling! It made my evening!

Cruising is good for my ego lol!

I was going somewhere on formal night and i was in my tux. The elevator came and there was just one lady aboard. The doors closed and we started moving. She looked at me and broke out in a big smile and said "you look sooooo handsome!!!"

I just smiled back....but of course nobody believes me.....

DH and I were having a conversation with another couple we met onboard and upon hearing that we were about to hit the Platinum level, the wife remarked she wished she could have started cruising in her twenties too. I had to ask her how old did she think I was. She said I was 24. The look on her face was priceless when I told her I was turning 42.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

:D Some women told me she didn't want to brag ... but had been on five cruises so if I had any questions to ask her. :rolleyes:

I just said "Thank You" and did not tell her I'd been on 80+ cruises and had been cruising for 52 years. Sort of though it was nice of her to want to help those new to cruising ... but assuming too much about anyone was sort of funny. :D

LuLu

~~~

I was going somewhere on formal night and i was in my tux. The elevator came and there was just one lady aboard. The doors closed and we started moving. She looked at me and broke out in a big smile and said "you look sooooo handsome!!!"

I just smiled back....but of course nobody believes me.....

Lol I believe you! Luckily my hubby was standing right beside me when the man approached me, otherwise I don't know if he would believe me either!

:D Some women told me she didn't want to brag ... but had been on five cruises so if I had any questions to ask her. :rolleyes:

I just said "Thank You" and did not tell her I'd been on 80+ cruises and had been cruising for 52 years. Sort of though it was nice of her to want to help those new to cruising ... but assuming too much about anyone was sort of funny. :D

LuLu

~~~

You should have told her just to see the look on her face!

On our first cruise an older gentleman told me I was too young to be able to afford to cruise the Mediterranean and I should have waited until I was older lol. I don't know if he had a chip on his shoulder about not being able to afford it when he was younger, thought I was younger than I was or generally had a thing about 30 something's on cruises, but it made me and DH giggle :)

Back in the days of the midnight buffet, we were waiting in line for the doors to open. We were about number 25 in line. We had an elderly couple physically push me out of the way, stepping on my feet in the process. Not only did we tell them there was a line, others in back and front of us told them, even the hostess at the door told them. They wouldn't budge.

Their reason? They thought the ship would run out of food before they got there. Swear on a stack of bibles, that is what they said. I watched them load up their plates once we got in, perhaps it was their last meal. Or, maybe they thought everyone piled food a mile high. In that case perhaps the ship could have run out.

It wasn't funny, by boy did it make me feel good.

We were cruising with 7 grandkids, just my husband and I and the kids, ages 5-11. We had had a lot of discussion about behavior and what we expected, and though they are good kids, they are still kids, and there were a lot of them, not one the quiet placid type.

We ate dinner in the MDR every night at a big round table that the staff kept for us, even though we were doing Mytime dining. Of course, I was concerned that our lively bunch would bother others.

Our last night, a lady who was at one of the neighboring tables, and who had been there each night, came over and complemented us on how well-behaved the kids were and how lucky we were to have this experience with them.

That kind of made my day and even the whole cruise.

I must say, the waiters and head waiter were beyond wonderful with the kids, with jokes, magic tricks, special treats, etc. every night. We thought they would go to the main dining room one night, be bored and want to head to the kid's activities; nope, they loved the whole MDR experience.

A couple of times on the cruise I, at 64, was mistaken for their mom, so that was nice too!

You should have told her just to see the look on her face!

Honestly, the BAD LuLu :mad: really .. yes REALLY wanted to ... but, the Good LuLu :)did not want to embarrass her. :o

Darn, it's not always fun being nice! :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~

Honestly, the BAD LuLu :mad: really .. yes REALLY wanted to ... but, the Good LuLu :)did not want to embarrass her. :o

Darn, it's not always fun being nice! :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~

Lol if she was being snobby I think bad LuLu should have come out but if she was just trying to be helpful then it's good you were nice :)

Edited by Mist_ynight

My husband and I were in a hurry to get breakfast, got on the elevator from... probably deck 3 to 11, a woman walked in, looked at the hubby, enthusiastically said: YES, YES!! We stopped at another deck, another woman walked in, same reaction.

When we got out of the elevator, I looked at him. He had a t-shirt on that said: if a man walks alone in the forest, is he still wrong?

We were cruising with 7 grandkids, just my husband and I and the kids, ages 5-11. We had had a lot of discussion about behavior and what we expected, and though they are good kids, they are still kids, and there were a lot of them, not one the quiet placid type.

We ate dinner in the MDR every night at a big round table that the staff kept for us, even though we were doing Mytime dining. Of course, I was concerned that our lively bunch would bother others.

Our last night, a lady who was at one of the neighboring tables, and who had been there each night, came over and complemented us on how well-behaved the kids were and how lucky we were to have this experience with them.

That kind of made my day and even the whole cruise.

One of my Golden Rules if I'm willing to complain about bad service I should be willing to compliment about good.

Last month my mom's house got broke in to. We drove from LA to Vancouver to take care of it. It was stressful. We go out to dinner in Vancouver and we get this peppy happy server. Smiles, get out the pom poms type. We had driven for 2 days and this is what we get. I called over the manager. I tell him, I'm in a foul mood but this girl, she made it much nicer and I think she should be complimented as an asset to the restaurant. The manager looks at me and says "how are you related?". Not related, never met her before, just thought she was really a nice end to a rotten weekend. He said he had never in his career had someone call him to the table to compliment an employee. How sad is that!

I think teaching kids is a 100% of the time job. When I see a child being kind, respectful and well mannered, I make a point of telling the child first and then the parents how great that is. Positive reinforcement goes a long way.

We were cruising the inside passage of Alaska over 15 years ago. Needless to say there were not cell phones towers all over the landscape. I was up early to see the sun rise and stopped for coffee on the Lido Deck. An old timer was furious with his, "cheap cell phone" because it could not get a signal!:rolleyes:

Back in the early 80's a lot of Carnival ships had a map of the US in the lobby and people could pin where they were from.

I was in my 20's and I put a pin in Oklahoma.

A lady in her later 70's asked me in all seriousness "Oh, you live in Oklahoma! Let me ask do the cars spook your horses when they come through the State?" :eek::rolleyes:

I replied, "The only place I ride my horse is at the Country Club and it's pretty far from an interstate"

Back in the early 80's a lot of Carnival ships had a map of the US in the lobby and people could pin where they were from.

A lady in her later 70's asked me in all seriousness "Oh, you live in Oklahoma! Let me ask do the cars spook your horses when they come through the State?" :eek::rolleyes:

I replied, "The only place I ride my horse is at the Country Club and it's pretty far from an interstate"

Oh boy, people are sometimes so ignorant about what life is like outside the cities!

We've had similar comments (twice!) on cruises when we told someone at dinner we were from Nebraska. Actually, we have gotten two reactions:

First: Ohhh, how do you survive those cold dark winters!" (They mix up 'Alaska'

with 'Nebraska', I guess because they rhyme?)

Second: Usually said with big eyes and a scared look--"Aren't you afraid of the Indians"--Sorry, Native Americans, that what they said.

I'm sorry to say that these comments almost always come from someone from the East Coast big cities. But, I imagine, being from the wilds of Nebraska, we (Ha) we have some serious misconceptions about the big cities.

Okay, not really, we've been in big cities all over the world, but apparently very few people travel outside the metro areas or interstate corridors.

That's funny. I live in the Texas panhandle. My son when to Europe a few years ago. He was 12 at the time and several girls asked him how far he had to ride his horse to school. It's funny that people think we still do that.

First off. I'm a life long smoker (60+years). Using a cruise to help cut down on the coffin nails I brought along my e-cig. Sitting on the fantail of the Princess with my camera waiting for sunrise pics and drinking my coffee, I noticed an older lady one deck up jogging around the ship. Every time she came around, she would slow down and glare at me. By the way, I was in the smoking area. She walked down the stairs, came over to me and started reading me the riot act regarding how bad smoking was, not only for me but everybody else on the ship. She told me that I needed to put my smoke out right now. I took a drag of my e-cig, the end lit up blue, I exhailed, took the cig from my mouth and put it in my shirt pocket. She didn't say another word, however, the look on her face was priceless.:D

Oh boy, people are sometimes so ignorant about what life is like outside the cities!

We've had similar comments (twice!) on cruises when we told someone at dinner we were from Nebraska. Actually, we have gotten two reactions:

First: Ohhh, how do you survive those cold dark winters!" (They mix up 'Alaska'

with 'Nebraska', I guess because they rhyme?)

Second: Usually said with big eyes and a scared look--"Aren't you afraid of the Indians"--Sorry, Native Americans, that what they said.

I'm sorry to say that these comments almost always come from someone from the East Coast big cities. But, I imagine, being from the wilds of Nebraska, we (Ha) we have some serious misconceptions about the big cities.

Okay, not really, we've been in big cities all over the world, but apparently very few people travel outside the metro areas or interstate corridors.

I think it must be a mid west thing that makes some people think that we are still many years behind the rest of the country. Years ago I was doing a cruise around Hawaii and was visiting with some people aboard ship and when they found out that I was from South Dakota, they asked me, is this your first time out of state? I know they meant well, but it was funny to me the way they said it.

Unfortunately I am a bit of a clown most times, so I had a little fun with them. Pretending to be serious I told them this; "Oh no, two years ago I went to the Minnesota State Fair and it was amazing. Not only can you see all the new tractors there, but you can get anything you want on a stick. I even had walleye on a stick there."

Yes, that may sound like a mean thing to do, but I thought it better than actually letting them know how much I had traveled and embarrass them.

Edited by travelnap

We live in Hawaii and a friend of ours used to work in a gift shop in Lahaina. Every once in a while a cruise ship passenger would ask him in all seriousness, "Do you take US dollars"?

I guess they forget that Hawaii is a state.

What funny stories and I have one too. My DH retired from the Navy (28+ Years) and when on a cruise he likes to wear his uniform for elegant night. Once an older lady said to him "I want to compliment you on how you park the boat, you line up the gang thing nicely with the pier, just wanted you to know it was appreciated"... my DH without missing a beat said "we aim to please maam"!

My husband and I were in a hurry to get breakfast, got on the elevator from... probably deck 3 to 11, a woman walked in, looked at the hubby, enthusiastically said: YES, YES!! We stopped at another deck, another woman walked in, same reaction.

When we got out of the elevator, I looked at him. He had a t-shirt on that said: if a man walks alone in the forest, is he still wrong?

That's very funny. Where did he get the shirt?