Princess Taxes and Port fees.

Bases5

We cruise carnival a lot. The last 5 or 6 cruises we have received OBC for reimbursing some portion of our port taxes, fees. It's not a lot $9 -40 dollars.

I was wondering if any one experienced this with Princess?

We cruise carnival a lot. The last 5 or 6 cruises we have received OBC for reimbursing some portion of our port taxes, fees. It's not a lot $9 -40 dollars.

I was wondering if any one experienced this with Princess?

Yes, if port fees go down after you pay up in full you will receive an OBC.

Did you miss any ports?

No This was on our account from day one. It was my understanding that the taxes are estimated at the time of booking. Then the actual tax is applied at sailing. So if it's less you get OBC. What's nice is if it goes up you don't pay the difference.

except with Carnival they have the ES booking where you have price protection. Sometimes when you apply for a price drop the port taxes might be higher so you only get the difference.

I just found it strange that the last 5 cruises we got some port taxes back. I never remember seeing that in the past.

I was wondering if Princess cruisers see it happen with princess also.

No This was on our account from day one. It was my understanding that the taxes are estimated at the time of booking. Then the actual tax is applied at sailing. So if it's less you get OBC. What's nice is if it goes up you don't pay the difference.

except with Carnival they have the ES booking where you have price protection. Sometimes when you apply for a price drop the port taxes might be higher so you only get the difference.

I just found it strange that the last 5 cruises we got some port taxes back. I never remember seeing that in the past.

Then I agree with the fees being adjusted.

So if it's less you get OBC. What's nice is if it goes up you don't pay the difference.

On Princess, if the port fees/taxes change, the difference will be on your onboard account.

This will be if they go down or up.

Edited by caribill

So if it's less you get OBC. What's nice is if it goes up you don't pay the difference

on one of our cruises the port taxes went up and we had to pay extra, it was on our account

Does anyone know why typically the taxes on combined or logical cruises are less than the taxes on the individual cruises added together? Is there a real reason such as higher port charges per passenger in the ports where a cruise starts and ends, maybe to cover customs and immigration people but passengers staying onboard for the next cruise even if they explore in port for the day do not incur these extra charges?

We are about to do three back to backs where the 2nd and the 3rd were available as a combined cruise but the price was higher for it even after allowing for the fact that the combined trip had lower overall taxes. So we went with the individual cruises.

It would be nice if booking B2B cruises automatically netted you a small tax reduction.

Terry

Does anyone know why typically the taxes on combined or logical cruises are less than the taxes on the individual cruises added together? Is there a real reason such as higher port charges per passenger in the ports where a cruise starts and ends, maybe to cover customs and immigration people but passengers staying onboard for the next cruise even if they explore in port for the day do not incur these extra charges?

We are about to do three back to backs where the 2nd and the 3rd were available as a combined cruise but the price was higher for it even after allowing for the fact that the combined trip had lower overall taxes. So we went with the individual cruises.

It would be nice if booking B2B cruises automatically netted you a small tax reduction.

Terry

I believe it's because you pay the port charges twice at the turn around port if you book B2B as separate cruises, once for arrival and again for departure, it is after all two separate cruises. Booked as a single cruise you would only pay for a port stop on turn around day.

Yes there must be two different port charges. One charge for a stop and possibly a higher charge for an embarkation/disembarkation. The reduced tax amount can be significant on a B2B booked as one trip. I am still ticked that our upcoming B2B2B was cheaper booked as three separate cruises. Part 2 and 3 were available combined and the taxes were $50 each less! They don't seem to adjust the prices up and down quite as much on the combined cruises as they do on individual cruises. When we booked (3.5 months before the first sailing date) we got a better price for individual cruises and so far none of them have been lower than what we got it at. Not that I have seen at least.

Terry