Is this cutting in line?!?

yvet

Speak for yourself, whether or not it is cutting in line, it would nt bother me in the least unless it slowed up my progress.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That is why I said "most of us wouldn't like it"....

That provided for those who would not mind.

Edited by sail7seas

If there is a line of people moving along and your stepping in to take some fries causes any delay at all to the next person, then it is cutting in. Even if the person you ask says OK, you would still be cutting in ahead of the people further back who did not have the chance to say no.

If you wait until there is a break in the line, as often happens when the person pauses before getting to the fries, and you are able to grab your fries without causing a second's delay to anyone, then you would not be cutting in.

Look at it from the point of view of the people in line- if you get delayed because someone cuts ahead of you, or ahead of the person five ahead of you, and it slows you down at all, would you like it?

Stepping in to grab one prepared item (a roll, utensils, a plated dessert)... fine.

Stepping in where service is required (bacon police, getting something toasted, requesting item that server has to leave station to go get)... is cutting. Or rude. Or both.

Also rude/cutting... entering and leaving the line multiple times to load your plate, i.e. leapfrogging. Don't peruse the whole line over people's shoulders, then sneak in for a piece of chicken AND potatoes AND AND AND.

When do you go to the WJ that you "rarely ever see a line"?

One person can be a line. If not, why not have everyone just randomly go to the items they want? That should work out well.

If someone in front of me is undecided, or waiting for an item I don't want, I pass them.

That's how it was on FOS, separate stations with their own separate lines (or not.)

It takes people awhile to figure out the system, there are different stations for different things and there is more than one for each area. There is really no discrete "line" except maybe the first day, although there are lines for individual stations.

And in my book the rude ones are not the ones who dart in quickly without holding anyone up, but the incredibly slow people who can't decide what they want or have to dig through everything to find just the right piece of food. If such a person causes a big gap in front of them I will pass them. I feel this actually helps the line move faster and doesn't slow anyone down.

A lot of it's cultural, I grew up in NY and there everyone knows how to keep a line moving. Others not so much.

Edited by DrD

I grew up on the good old American method of just standing in the line and moving with the herd. Cafeteria lines, ski lift lines, movie lines, it was always "moooooo."

Then, I went with 2 girlfriends to Club Med in Cancun. It was a cool mix of Americans, Europeans, and some from South America. At the first lunch, all the Americans were doing the "stand in line" thing while everyone else was diving in and out to get what was desired. After that first lunch, EVERYONE adapted to the dive in method. The world didn't fall apart, it actually worked quite well. People waited at the popular items, then flitted around to get the other things. Opened my eyes. Why would I need to wait in a long line past all the stuff I have no interest in to get something at the other end of the line??? By going where I wanted to, I did not hold up the line, no one was shoved behind me, I just went where there was a hole.

I still do it this way at a buffet line. But, I will always ask anyone if I may come in and grab… I am always quick - I know what I want and I don't dawdle. Then, I find my chair at a table and settle in.

Absolutely. I think the Europeans are much better than Americans at refusing to queue. I do exactly what you do. I just pop in to grab some eggs; then I pop in to grab some potatoes, Then I just pop in to get my tomatoes; then pop in to get my bread. That way my food is always hot and fresh - just like me! Why wait for other people when I'm on vacation?

Physical infirmity/ indecision on the part of others may leave certain items sitting and available. Lest we end up being 100's moving at snail's pace of the very slowest we need to be polite yet prompt and yes, Grab n' Go. Locomotiveman

Absolutely. I think the Europeans are much better than Americans at refusing to queue. I do exactly what you do. I just pop in to grab some eggs; then I pop in to grab some potatoes, Then I just pop in to get my tomatoes; then pop in to get my bread. That way my food is always hot and fresh - just like me! Why wait for other people when I'm on vacation?

Your last line says it all: "Why wait for other people when I'm on vacation?"

Let them be delayed while I cut in ahead of them to get what I want - it's my vacation.

I'm sure we've met --- I remember your style.

Your last line says it all: "Why wait for other people when I'm on vacation?"

Let them be delayed while I cut in ahead of them to get what I want - it's my vacation.

I'm sure we've met --- I remember your style.

LOL. Yep, it's not like the people she's 'popping' in front of are on vacation too. ;)

:eek:

Phew! Didn't think I'd get this response. Doesn't anyone recognize humor when they see it?

I was responding to slidergirl who said: "all the Americans were doing the "stand in line" thing while everyone else was diving in and out to get what was desired". She also said: "I am always quick - I know what I want and I don't dawdle. Then, I find my chair at a table and settle in.".

My response was a parody. I guess I'm not ready for primetime yet. I'll cancel my interview with Letterman until I get better at this.

Sorry

As long as people don't step on my toes, I'm good with people going in front of me if I happen to be hesitating. I'll scoot around people who are taking their sweet time deciding. Chances are, that's why there is a line in the first place, they are the ones holding up everyone else. If I happen to turn around to observe the people I skipped over, I'll be done and outa there and they're still deciding which piece of food to take.

This whole thread reminds me why I prefer the dining room to the buffet. Much more civilized. Of course…what if my server cut in line in the service kitchen ;)

Phew! Didn't think I'd get this response. Doesn't anyone recognize humor when they see it?

I was responding to slidergirl who said: "all the Americans were doing the "stand in line" thing while everyone else was diving in and out to get what was desired". She also said: "I am always quick - I know what I want and I don't dawdle. Then, I find my chair at a table and settle in.".

My response was a parody. I guess I'm not ready for primetime yet. I'll cancel my interview with Letterman until I get better at this.

Sorry

That's disappointing, I liked it. Especially the hot and fresh part. Hopefully that's true at least.

It really depends on how the buffet is set up. On Princess (at least the ships I've been on), once you enter the serving area, there are separate areas that would have separate lines. Sometimes you can get food without getting in other's ways, such as at the salad bar. The lines are usually for the entree/side sections. I wish there was a sign listing the entrees and sides when you first enter the Horizon (I seem to remember this was the case on one ship I've been on) so that you can decide what you want to get by the time you get to the counter, as that's often where the hang up is (from those who can't seem to make up their mind what to get).

If everyone would respect the actual lines (and remember that there's others behind you, so don't take forever serving yourself, and move over so that someone can get those potatoes while you're getting pasta), and also respect other people whether they're kids (I know many seem to think it's okay to cut in front of them...and that's just as rude as doing it to anyone else) or seniors.

I didn't get a photo of the whole serving area on my last cruise so this is to illustrate it as much as I can:

SANY0158_zpsd78f03b7.jpg

Salad bar (notice there's two sides so there's plenty of room for more than two people to be serving themselves at a time):

SANY0159_zpsfce41efe.jpg

the area where people need to decide, get their food, and move on:

SANY0160_zps8c822ea7.jpg

carving station (where only one person at a time can be served, so there could be a line for here):

SANY0161_zps9e5299ed.jpg

If there is a station where you must have your food "prepped" by someone, sure, that is a legit reason to stand in line. I guess I don't do those - I don't do make-your-own omlettes, carved meat (actually, any meat), etc. If someone has stopped in front of me at the Chinese food section and I have no desire to take Chinese food, do I need to wait until they are done with the Chinese and move on to the salad that I have been waiting for? I'm not talking about bumping people out of the queue and busting in for something… I'm trying to keep the line moving at a sane pace.

Perhaps the cruise buffet is the the last remaining instance of the cafeteria line that you "must" stay in your designated place in line and move long the counter until the bitter end. My buffet experiences in Las Vegas certainly does not mirror this anymore (I'm close to Vegas, so I can go there for a quick 3 day trip than doing a 3 night cruise). Even my breakfast buffet in Rome at the Waldorf Astoria was void of lines, and it was a non-chaotic experience. Even the line at Ikea's restaurant isn't a cattle line anymore…

Rudest behavior I've had on a cruise: someone TELLING me (not asking) that I needed to move so that she and her 3 friends could have 4 adjoining lounge chairs. There was not another chair nearby for me to move to...

Sorry

As one who likes to use sarcasm now and then to carry a discussion, :cool: I've learned there is a certain skill required for parody to work with social media. Once you pointed out your post was a parody, I read it again and enjoyed a good laugh. :D

Burt

Edited by Beachdude

Is anything always hot and fresh on the buffet??? Just don't point those elbows at me, you fresh thing ;)

If someone is in front of the eggs, then, sure, I don't shove them out of the way to get mine. but, if no one is in front of the eggs, what is the issue with going around someone to get them? That's what I meant. There was no rugby scrum going on at Club Med...

Although it was not a cruise buffet, we stayed at a Hilton Hotel in Philadephia over the weekend where they had a somewhat limited breakfast buffet. I realzied that I had neglected to get a carton of milk for my cereal and went back to that section of the line which was really not a problem for those who were at the front of the line as they were waiting fot their toast to finish or other foods to be heated up in the self-service microwave. The individual cartons of milk were kept in a small refrigerator underneath the garnishments for the cereal. I waited for quite some time for a lady who was painstakingly picking out all of the cashews from the container of trail mix one peice at a time. I finally asked if I could just get some milk and she readily obliged. I suppose that would be considered cutting and that some folks would get their knickers in a knot. Experience has shown me that if you make a request in a polite fashion, most reasonable people won't become upset.

Edited by tip