"Like music to my ears" Celebrity up to you!

Spartan Tartan

I too am retired (when I was 42) and every day count myself very lucky that I was able to do that. I also feel blessed that I can cruise and never take one day I'm on a ship for granted. I don't think I'm "sad" for expressing an opinion here. That is being very judgemental. And if you met me I am one of the least "all about me" people you could meet. You have no idea.

Phil

Well, first off, you beat me, I retired at 56 and then got bored and worked a few more years after I moved to Arizona.

Not quite sure why you thought I might be speaking of you, I was making a generalization in a response to another poster. If you read my post, what I said was sad was that even if Celebrity tried to make it so everyone is able to enjoy their types of music and/or volume by having different music in different venues, there would still be complaints and that is sad. Meaning that there are passengers that don't want to compromise and only want it the way they want it and don't care about the enjoyment of others. Would you agree that a compromise would be the best thing Celebrity could do to make all their customers happy?

BTW, any more guesses on how many cruises I've been on and what ships they were on, since you guessed wrong the last time!

Edited by NLH Arizona

Tropical/island/ artists at the pools at least for Caribbean itineraries (Jimmy Buffett, Kenny Chesney, Zac Brown)

Caribbean music at the sunset/oceanview bars (live performance/steel drums,etc.)

Jazz/Blues at the Martini Bar (Tony Bennett, Billy Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra)

MDR music should be understated, noticeable but not noisy....maybe all instrumental?

Disco/pop/dance music in the night club up top (Maroon 5, Beyoncé, etc)

Classic "Rock n Roll " in Michael's and other indoor venues (Van Morrison, James Taylor, Ben Folds. Elvis Costello, the Rolling Stones, etc. Love a guy with a guitar singing any of these....)

If there is a variety of music, then I can leave one area if I don't care for what is playing, and go somewhere else on the ship......the only place it should be LOUD is the night club, where I wind up EVERY night, LOL!!

I like your ship!

I couldn't care less what's played just keep it at a low level.

I also think all live music poolside is obnoxious and should be banned. I like quiet and I like books on the pool deck. I'm also only 32 so it's not a generational thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

but I think people from Hampstead are really with it !! :) most beach people are......no matter the age......surprised though that no mention her of "shag" music....now I could take that 24/7 :D....just us......born with it....love it...but it doesn't have to be SO DAMN LOUD....:D

Appropriate music is in the ear's of the listener. What you don't consider appropriate, others might feel is totally appropriate....it is a matter of taste. I personally don't enjoy classical or jazz, so if it is playing in a venue, I find another place where I enjoy the music. I don't think Celebrity should change the music on the ships to my tastes, I just want them to play all types of music and not just easy listening for a certain age group (which, BTW I'm in). Let's let everyone enjoy their vacations and that means playing different types of music at different volume levels.

Basically what they play doesn't bother me, it is the volume. When it is so loud that you have to scream or yell to the BT or waiter when giving your order or can't hear them it is too loud.

At the Martini bar I realized why they had a frosted bar, it was there so you could write your order down for the bartender to know what you wanted.

Just play the appropriate music for the venue at a decent and comfortable level.

Don't need "Tequila" or "Low Rider" blasting away in the morning in the buffet like they do on Carnival.

🍸🍻

What is appropriate is as you posted in a early post and is mostly common sense. You wouldnt play the "Death March" at the sail away, gangster rap in the MDR, gospel music in the disco and etc. Agreed there is nothing wrong with variety but don't play it so loud that you can't hear it because of the distortion from the booming of the bass and can't converse with someone.

🚢🌊🇺🇸🌅

So you are saying that anyone who likes today's music is not suitable for Celebrity. Wow! Come on, not everyone likes to listen to Frank Sinatra on vacation.

:):) Didn"t say that. Just saying you probably would NOT hear much of it on X.

Also, I detest Sinatra"s music. Much more of an Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clapton kind of person.

Edited by hockeyken

:):) Didn"t say that. Just saying you probably would NOT hear much of it on X.

Also, I detest Sinatra"s music. Much more of an Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clapton kind of person.

Sorry, but when I asked where we could go on the ship to hear today's music, you suggested Carnival. Seemed like you were saying that those of us that like today's music isn't the right fit for Celebrity.

BTW, I've got both Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray on my Ipod, along with Pitbull, Patsy Cline, Lou Christie and Katy Perry and many, many more.

My complaint is with the volume of the music not what is played.

On our recent B2B on Summit the only place we noticed excessively loud music was at the Martini Bar. However, "loud" is subjective.

Maybe it would be good to get some objective data on the decibel level so we are somewhat calibrated. You can find many references that say normal conversation (at 3 ft) can be accomplished in an environment of 65 dB background noise. Hearing loss can occur at sustained exposure at 90-95 dB. A snowmobile or motorcycle is 100 dB and a loud rock concert is 115 dB. OSHA sets a maximum of 8 hours per day at 90 dB, 2 hours at 100 dB, and 1 hour at 105 dB. Each increase of 10 dB is actually twice the volume, so 100 dB is 4 times the volume of 80 dB.

There are iPhone apps that measure dB level. One that rates well is dB Meter Pro at $.99 to download. Perhaps some of our cruisers can measure and report back what they discover and that will provide objective as well as subjective information.

It would be interesting to know what the actual instructions by Celebrity management to staff are on where/how to set the volume of recorded (or live) music and whether it has recently changed.

We did notice that there was a crowd at the Martini Bar, although the music was way too loud for us. I wish I had thought to measure the decibel level. And no, I am not advocating "volume police". If you don't like the volume level at one location, go elsewhere. And if you think Celebrity has let things get out of hand with their music volume then vote with your feet and pocketbook.

Wow...

I am a "loyal X cruiser" too, and do not feel I'm in the "vocal minority". Barring any hard statistics on the subject, I do not see how you, or anyone else, can make claims about who is in "the majority" on this subject. And there is absolutely no proof that the decibel levels of the music is causing the stock prices to go up, that is pure conjecture on your part. And finally, we are some of those "higher spending people" which I believe X would like to retain.

Yet YOU can claim you are in the majority (i.e.. not in the vocal minority??) :confused:

I too am one of those "higher spending people", having cruised only in suites thus far and enjoying many of the onboard facilities and specialties, and only half of my sailings have had a free beverage package requiring me to pay for my beverages as well on some sailings. Not even all my future sailings include a beverage package. In fact, looks like we'll meet on the final Century Dubai to Rome sailing, maybe even sooner on the Singapore leg if I get the chance to add to my itinerary.

It's a business, bottom line profits tell the overall story. Profits have been rising overall given the changes and direction the Corporation has been taking. Some have been relative to music levels, some to drink packages, some from reducing service levels, seem from streamlining pertains and cabin amenities. Overall the direction the company is taking is working.

If the music was so bad that the majority hate it, the ships would be empty and share prices would fall.

In any case, I'm here posting so X gets a second side of the story and understands that I DO LOVE THAN CHANGES THEY ARE MAKING! just as you and others are here saying you don't like it. Then we leave it to X to decide how to run their business and which customer they wish to attract or keep.

Edited by cle-guy

Yet YOU can claim you are in the majority (i.e.. not in the vocal minority??) :confused:

I too am one of those "higher spending people", having cruised only in suites thus far and enjoying many of the onboard facilities and specialties, and only half of my sailings have had a free beverage package requiring me to pay for my beverages as well on some sailings. Not even all my future sailings include a beverage package. In fact, looks like we'll meet on the final Century Dubai to Rome sailing, maybe even sooner on the Singapore leg if I get the chance to add to my itinerary.

It's a business, bottom line profits tell the overall story. Profits have been rising overall given the changes and direction the Corporation has been taking. Some have been relative to music levels, some to drink packages, some from reducing service levels, seem from streamlining pertains and cabin amenities. Overall the direction the company is taking is working.

If the music was so bad that the majority hate it, the ships would be empty and share prices would fall.

In any case, I'm here posting so X gets a second side of the story and understands that I DO LOVE THAN CHANGES THEY ARE MAKING! just as you and others are here saying you don't like it. Then we leave it to X to decide how to run their business and which customer they wish to attract or keep.

Since your first cruise on Celebrity was one year ago there is nothing to compare to. Since you weren't around, the loud music was a problem a couple of years ago and then it seemed to be turned down just enough so it wasn't bothersome. Now we have lots of new reports of it surfacing again.

If you were with Celebrity a bit sooner you might see that profits have been rising because prices have been rising and there are lots of people who have been convinced they are getting something for nothing, ie the drink packages.

You might also understand that Celebrity has increased it's fleet substantially and has had to find ways to expand it's customer base. Most of the new customers were attracted to Celebrity because they heard they offered a little more upscale product than their competitors. They made just enough changes to attract some new people and retain their loyal base.

As a business owner, I can appreciate that they've done a good job balancing some necessary streamlining with retaining some of the things that made Celebrity special. They've offered new profit making experiences that people could enjoy without taking too much away from the basic cruise amenities and experience that everyone can enjoy without paying extra. Most of us who understand basic economics could understand that some of these things needed to be done for survival in a competitive marketplace.

Now is when they are going to have to be really careful to not lose both their loyal customers and the new customers who came to Celebrity expecting a better experience. After many years of sailing with Celebrity, there are a lot of people I know who are beginning to explore new possibilities because the changes in price and service may be getting to the tipping point as to what is keeping them coming back.

I can understand that you love the direction they are going since you make it very obvious that you sail exclusively in suites and there are some wonderful new amenities ahead for those cabin categories. You may find, however, that those cabins won't be priced the way they are now.

You should also understand that if they begin to drive away their most loyal customers and many of those who came to Celebrity seeking something a little better than what they may have experienced elsewhere, they may be in for a rude awakening.

When they get too close to that tipping point with people, it doesn't take much to lose them. It can easily be something as small as the change in ambiance that comes with music that is excessively loud or raising the prices to cover the cost of "drink packages" which really are probably not worth what people are paying unless they are a pretty heavy drinkers. Those packages are also another thing that affects the service levels and ambiance on the ships.

If they lose what has made them special and become just more of the same, there won't be much reason for people to choose them over any other mass market cruise line and it will be down to who can give the customer the best price.

We agree with you. Turn down the volume.

They have really listened on Constellation. We don't inhabit the pool zone but all the lounges have turned it down so that we can listen and talk.

The martini bar has its own level and patrons there have learned to yell over the beat.

The HD and CD have both told us that they will get decibel apps to control sound levels both for safety to those working in the loud zone and the flexibility to adjust volumes based on requests by the people on board.

We love the ability to go where the sound is acceptable and the music is to our taste. The bands in Reflection lounge and Rendezvous are wonderful and conversation possible.

They have really listened on Constellation. We don't inhabit the pool zone but all the lounges have turned it down so that we can listen and talk.

The martini bar has its own level and patrons there have learned to yell over the beat.

The HD and CD have both told us that they will get decibel apps to control sound levels both for safety to those working in the loud zone and the flexibility to adjust volumes based on requests by the people on board.

We love the ability to go where the sound is acceptable and the music is to our taste. The bands in Reflection lounge and Rendezvous are wonderful and conversation possible.

That's good to hear. Thanks for the update, Arno! :)

EXCELLENT! ;) :D

Hope the same holds true for Silhouette next month! :o

Another vote for Caribbean music by the pool when sailing the Caribbean. I miss steel drums and island music. It doesn't even have to be live for me, just nice and moderate volume :-)[/quote

Last September we were treated to wonderful Caribbean music played on the pan. The artist was very talented and very personable. The ironic thing is that we were on a NE/Canada cruise on the Summit.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

This is really great news, Arno. Thanks for keeping us updated!

This is really great news, Arno. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Hi Eileen:)......I agree...and btw...hope you got my email......