Has anybody been on the Pacific or Ocean Princess ships

petlady7

Hi

Just wondering if they lose anything because they are so much smaller than their other ships or is it better because you get to know people . Do they still have all the facilities the other ships have ?

We love the small Princess ships and have over 300 nights on them.

However, there are trade offs. Being on a smaller ship, there will be fewer public rooms, fewer choices for most things, no Anytime Dining, etc. But, you get to know the other passengers and crew much better than on a bigger ship. You are only a minute or two from the other end of the ship. Getting off the ship in port is a very quick procedure. The itineraries are great. We have been places on them that either the big ships have to bypass or they have to dock an hour from town, while we can walk to town.

We have been on both of these ships although the last time was 2007. On Pacific again in May this year.

I believe that the current offerings are very similar to those we had previously experienced, namely:

• Theatre was intimate caberet style with stage only elevated by a few, maybe 10, inches. The theatre troupe numbered about 8 and doubled up on other entertainment duties across the ship. The other theatre entertainment was very much the usual mixture.
  • There was no "anytime" dining option.
  • The speciality restaurants were in fact only one restaurant which changed on alternate nights from Sabatini's to the equivalent of todays Crown Grill.
  • The buffet was always outstanding and in general terms the 3 times we have used these ships the food has always been a highlight.

Overall we loved the ships, including the Royal Princess, now Adonia in the P&O fleet. As it is the itinerary that draws us to any particular cruise it has taken us a few years to end up going on one of the "babies" again but now very much looking forward to May after being on the Golden later this month. Expect very different but equally good cruises.

Hope this helps although I'm sure others who have travelled on them more recently will be able to add to or correct the above.

Mike.

We've sailed on the the Tahitian (now either the Ocean or the Pacific, can't remember) and the old Royal and loved both cruises.

We're thinking of doing a long sailing on the Ocean next year and I was wondering - is there anywhere on the ship like the International Cafe where we can get a cup of coffee or tea and a pastry late at night? Of course I know that it could change by next year. (When we sailed on the Tahitian 9 years ago Sabatinis was open all night .)

I am pleased to be able to say that the second of my 3 Princess cruises was on the Pacific. She is a lovely ship, and I can't recommend the small ship experience enough.

There is more of a community feel, both from the crew and fellow passengers. It's very easy to get around, and the atmosphere is definitely more relaxed.

We chose the late seating for dinner. The first night we were at a table for six with one other couple. The maitre'd came over to tell the other couple that their request for early seating had been approved. He looked at us and asked us if we wanted to stay at that table (in the middle of the dining room). go to a table for 2, or be assigned to a different table. We decided to go to a different table and were part of a party of 4 at a table for 8 for the remainder of the cruise. We enjoyed the other couple's company immensely. The maitre'd kept checking in with us throughout the cruise to make sure that we were satisfied with our dining experience.

Our visit to St Bart's would not have been possible on a larger ship. This is another factor for you to consider in sailing on a small ship.

The only negative I can think of is that EZCheck was not offered.

If you like big ships smaller ships will probably not do it for you ....i did not care for Ocean Princess ....food was not better and entertainment was subpar at best

The advantage was meeting great people on the roll call andplanning great tours together ...make sure you do that ...have specific plans

Do realize smaller ships are more expensive ...alot more ...almost double

True we went where hardly anyone goes but you do pay for it ....Ie Greenland and Iceland

I do not regret my experience on the Ocean Princess however i would hesitate going on a small ship again unless it had a very busy itinerary ....evenings here were long and uneventful

Like ,I said shows were really lacking ..but if you were very busy during the day crashing early would be ok

Bon voyage

We've sailed on the the Tahitian (now either the Ocean or the Pacific, can't remember) and the old Royal and loved both cruises.

We're thinking of doing a long sailing on the Ocean next year and I was wondering - is there anywhere on the ship like the International Cafe where we can get a cup of coffee or tea and a pastry late at night? Of course I know that it could change by next year. (When we sailed on the Tahitian 9 years ago Sabatinis was open all night .)

My recollection is that at times the Panorama buffet had some late night goodies to have with coffee. Otherwise bar outside DR might still have some cookies. I don't look for food after dinner, so haven't really noticed. Last time on the Pacific was for 31 days at the end of '11, but we're boarding the Ocean in Cape Town on May 7th and I'll have 30 more days to look around and report. :)

I have cruised on both the Pacific and the Ocean (when she was still the Tahitian), and thoroughly enjoyed the vibe of both.

We were able to use our coffee cards at the counter near the entrance to the Panorama Buffet for specialty coffees. Not sure how late it's available though.

A friend and I were on the Pacific Princess last August for 12 days for the Med and Adriatic cruise, and found there were sufficient evening entertainment offerings so that we were not bored. It's just that everything is on a smaller scale .... such as there is no Princess theater, but events were held in the Cabaret Lounge, and were delightful because one sits so close to the performers. It's a much different feel as compared to shows in the theater with the performers up on the stage.

On the "Little White Ladies", not only do you get to know more of your fellow passengers, but the staff and crew as well. We find that the Captain and upper level officers are much more visible and sociable.

If you like big ships smaller ships will probably not do it for you ....i did not care for Ocean Princess ....food was not better and entertainment was subpar at best

The advantage was meeting great people on the roll call andplanning great tours together ...make sure you do that ...have specific plans

Do realize smaller ships are more expensive ...alot more ...almost double

True we went where hardly anyone goes but you do pay for it ....Ie Greenland and Iceland

I do not regret my experience on the Ocean Princess however i would hesitate going on a small ship again unless it had a very busy itinerary ....evenings here were long and uneventful

Like ,I said shows were really lacking ..but if you were very busy during the day crashing early would be ok

Bon voyage

I agree, we have sailed them twice and don't care for them.

Don't like the mega ships but the Princess Grand Class and Island/Coral ships are excellent.

We have been on both of these ships although the last time was 2007. On Pacific again in May this year.

I believe that the current offerings are very similar to those we had previously experienced, namely:

• Theatre was intimate caberet style with stage only elevated by a few, maybe 10, inches. The theatre troupe numbered about 8 and doubled up on other entertainment duties across the ship. The other theatre entertainment was very much the usual mixture.
  • There was no "anytime" dining option.
  • The speciality restaurants were in fact only one restaurant which changed on alternate nights from Sabatini's to the equivalent of todays Crown Grill.
  • The buffet was always outstanding and in general terms the 3 times we have used these ships the food has always been a highlight.

Overall we loved the ships, including the Royal Princess, now Adonia in the P&O fleet. As it is the itinerary that draws us to any particular cruise it has taken us a few years to end up going on one of the "babies" again but now very much looking forward to May after being on the Golden later this month. Expect very different but equally good cruises.

Hope this helps although I'm sure others who have travelled on them more recently will be able to add to or correct the above.

Mike.

Hi Mike. Which May voyage are you sailing? We are on May 13th on Pacific. Hope to see you on board if this is your trip.:D

Do you feel the motion more on the small ships? I have a friend who won't even consider sailing on one because she tends to be prone to sea-sickness.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The answer is yes. If you are prone to sea sickness you will definitely feel the motion more if the seas are choppy.

The buffet does close down early on the small ships. I do remember some cold items left out like salad items, jello, and there might have been some cookies. Everything else is put away.

Edited by waltd

Do you feel the motion more on the small ships? I have a friend who won't even consider sailing on one because she tends to be prone to sea-sickness.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Motion that causes seasickness is more complicated than just a function of ship size. I have sailed ships that were Mega Ship category that rolled like pigs in rather slight seas. Fincantieri built ships (imho) are not good going into a sea with hard pounding and shaking. On the other hand, the small (very) ships of SeaDream Yacht Club are very seakindly and ride the swells well. Then there is the personal issues. Some people become queasy on a ship at the dock while others can eat a heaping meal when the plates barely stay on the table.:eek: I will be on Pacific in May and will post any ride issues good or bad. On Star recently off California we only had head seas northbound and following seas southbound. Neither were much of an issue. I did not get to experience her in beam seas. Rolling seems to affect more people than pitching motion. Don't know why. As many have said before, the best areas of any ship is midships on a lower deck. This tends to be the area of least motion. :D

Motion that causes seasickness is more complicated than just a function of ship size. I have sailed ships that were Mega Ship category that rolled like pigs in rather slight seas. Fincantieri built ships (imho) are not good going into a sea with hard pounding and shaking. On the other hand, the small (very) ships of SeaDream Yacht Club are very seakindly and ride the swells well. Then there is the personal issues. Some people become queasy on a ship at the dock while others can eat a heaping meal when the plates barely stay on the table.:eek: I will be on Pacific in May and will post any ride issues good or bad. On Star recently off California we only had head seas northbound and following seas southbound. Neither were much of an issue. I did not get to experience her in beam seas. Rolling seems to affect more people than pitching motion. Don't know why. As many have said before, the best areas of any ship is midships on a lower deck. This tends to be the area of least motion. :D

I agree, Grand Class ships don't ride well in rough seas with their flat bottoms and their height. There has been damage to the Star in SA and the CB in the northeast because of rough seas.

In general, are there two shows scheduled every evening in the Cabaret Lounge? I assume there are not three. We have late seating which is 8:15, so I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Thanks,

What about dancing on the Ocean? We do not go to shows but love to dance.

Greg

Assumption correct about two shows only.

Dancing: most times prior to show in Cabaret Lounge and also up on deck 10 in the Pacific Lounge (Pacific) or the Tahitian Lounge (Ocean).

The speciality restaurants were in fact only one restaurant which changed on alternate nights from Sabatini's to the equivalent of todays Crown Grill.

A small correction - there are actually two restaurants on Deck 10 which are open on alternate nights. I believe the steak house is also used for the pub lunch.

The answer is yes. If you are prone to sea sickness you will definitely feel the motion more if the seas are choppy.

The buffet does close down early on the small ships. I do remember some cold items left out like salad items, jello, and there might have been some cookies. Everything else is put away.

I have to say that I disagree with this statement. My husband is also prone to seasickness, but he had no problems on either the Ocean or Pacific - both times in Alaska, and one time in such a storm that we were unable to cross the gulf of Alaska to get to Kodiak (we were very disappointed to miss that port). He has been seasick on the Island and Golden before he finally found what worked best for him to avoid it. Don't judge the ship by it's size when considering whether or not you will get seasick. Take whatever meds work for you, starting before you board and continuing even when you feel fine, and you will have the time of your life.

I have to say that I disagree with this statement. My husband is also prone to seasickness, but he had no problems on either the Ocean or Pacific - both times in Alaska, and one time in such a storm that we were unable to cross the gulf of Alaska to get to Kodiak (we were very disappointed to miss that port). He has been seasick on the Island and Golden before he finally found what worked best for him to avoid it. Don't judge the ship by it's size when considering whether or not you will get seasick. Take whatever meds work for you, starting before you board and continuing even when you feel fine, and you will have the time of your life.

One would have to consider the size, thats a huge factor.

Everyone reacts differently and may have not been sick one time may get sick the second time in the exact same conditions.

There is no way to tell but the size absolutley does matter. :)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

One would have to consider the size, thats a huge factor.

Everyone reacts differently and may have not been sick one time may get sick the second time in the exact same conditions. There is no way to tell but the size absolutley does matter.

Size matters? I think I've heard that once or twice before. :p

BTW, we crossed from Athens to FLL; 31 days on Pacific. Left Europe on November 15th; crossing wonderful.

Hi Mike. Which May voyage are you sailing? We are on May 13th on Pacific. Hope to see you on board if this is your trip.:D

Hi Jim,

We are on the 20th. Enjoy your cruise and make sure it is well victualled for when we get on board!:)

Mike.

Your husband is one of the lucky ones. The small ships have had write ups for many years long before Princess bought them. In most write-ups the comment has always been how the ships were not built for rough seas. We were on the Pacific a year ago Jan. in the Caribbean and hit one day that didn't look bad but the ship was rocking and rolling. We had a mid ship cabin. We did take medication that day and we were fine but we certainly felt it. On a larger ship we would probably not have noticed it. Just our experience but we have been on many cruises on all size ships and in my opinion smaller ships are great but there is a noticeable difference. Take medications with you and go and enjoy.