Carnival Hawaiian Cruise

jgsc

I'm planning to take a cruise from LA to the Islands then returning to Vancouver Canada. Is it possible to disembark in Hilo and rejoin the cruise in Honolulu. Thank you

I'm planning to take a cruise from LA to the Islands then returning to Vancouver Canada. Is it possible to disembark in Hilo and rejoin the cruise in Honolulu. Thank you

I doubt it. The PVSA says that a foreign flagged ship cannot transport passengers from one US port (LA in your case) to a different US port (Hilo) without a stop at a distant foreign port.

The only way to know for sure is to check with the cruise line. It might be possible, as you're not 'terminating' your cruise in a US port, but just doing an overnight (or 2?) break. I've read of people who claim to have gotten off in Hilo and re-boarded in Kona the next day. I'd make sure that whoever you talk to seems to really know what they're talking about or ask to talk to a supervisor; I'd then ask for an email confirmation and take it with me. I'd then check again once I got onboard and again the night before you get off in Hilo. There are far too many cases where cruise line staff don't all seem to be 'on the same page' when it comes to what can and can't be done.

Also, be prepared for one way airfare of about $100/per person between the Big Island and Oahu - there aren't many bargains.

Edited by Kartgv

• 3 months later...

Someone I know, who wasn't aware of the PVSA, disembarked a Honolulu-Vancouver cruise in Hilo, with the intention of rejoining the ship the following day in Kona. When he went to reboard in Kona, the bells and whistles went off in the machine where you insert your cruise card as you return to the ship. He found himself at Guest Relations paying the $300 fine for violating the PVSA. Although the cruise was headed from Honolulu to Vancouver, which doesn't even fall under the PVSA since Vancouver is not in the USA, the violation was embarking in Honolulu and disembarking in Kona (without visiting a distant foreign port along the way).

Edited by BEAV

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Not sure why you want to get off the ship in Hilo and then rejoin it in Honolulu, but you will need to contact your cruise line and see if it can be done. I know that people have done this in Europe with the cruise lines permission.

If you do get permission -- get it in writing.