Hello and New to Oceania

2busy

point #1

I wonder how long it would take one of us with 1 helper to clean & replace the bedding, vacuum replace fridge contents etc...for 20 + cabins ;)

I do not mind sitting by the pool until my cabin is ready for me

I would rather make sure my cabin was cleaned properly

YMMV

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Regarding your point #1, my perception has always been that it's not a matter of "enforcement" but rather how quickly they can get the rooms ready ... and they start at the top and work their way down. I can't see any motive for deliberately keeping a room empty just because it is not yet "time" to allow access.

Mura

To your point regarding a motive for delaying access to rooms until advertised time for the particular category: Could it be to insure that the benefit of earlier cabin access for higher category cabins is actually a benefit worth paying for in addition to the other benefits of Suites or Concierge level cabins? Or, perhaps it does just work out that way as the hard working staff has their work planned through a prioritization schedule with higher level cabins coming first.

On the other hand, I believe the housekeeping staff assigned to "B" category cabins, for example, have the same number of cabins assigned to them as those in "A" (concierge), so what is the logistical reason the "B" category cabins are promised to available 90 minutes later than the "As?" Perhaps others with more experience sailing Oceania can answer that one.

On the other hand, I believe the housekeeping staff assigned to "B" category cabins, for example, have the same number of cabins assigned to them as those in "A" (concierge), so what is the logistical reason the "B" category cabins are promised to available 90 minutes later than the "As?" Perhaps others with more experience sailing Oceania can answer that one.

I have heard & not sure if it is true or not but some of the staff will help in other than their assigned areas to get the ship ready for new passengers

We have been on a few B2B's ... when we have returned to our cabin early in the day we see other housekeeping staff in the hallways scurrying around helping out

I do not think there is any ulterior motive or sinister plot involved ;)

They are just making sure ALL cabins in the lower Cat are ready at the same time

They really do not want passengers wandering in & out of cabins while trying to make them ready for occupancy

Edited by LHT28

I remember talking to our cabin teams on several lines, each tasked with 20 cabin quotas and they pretty much told us the same about 10 min per cabin mornings with 3 min between cabins to move. about 5 hours max .

On some cruises, some of their cabins were un- occupied the extra time was delegated to cleaning the passageway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Two points I would add to the great advice/insight on this thread:

1. While there may be some variance regarding flexibility on boarding times, we have observed that Oceania is pretty rigid on times when cabins are available. For passengers in cabins "below" Concierge class, it seems the the 3 p.m. earliest time for access to cabins is enforced. Recently on Riviera everyone was allowed to board upon arrival, but this meant that some "early" arrivers at about noon had to wait for several hours before having cabin access. We were most recently in Concierge class and our cabins were announced as "ready" at the advertised time of 1:30 p.m…no earlier.

My documents show I can board at noon (I am in Concierge A3 category). Will I be able to go to my cabin at that time? We want to be able to board, get rid of our luggage and go back out (we have an overnight).

Also, if sailing time is 5:00 pm (the next day) does anyone know what time we will have to be onboard?

Thanks

My documents show I can board at noon (I am in Concierge A3 category). Will I be able to go to my cabin at that time? We want to be able to board, get rid of our luggage and go back out (we have an overnight).

Also, if sailing time is 5:00 pm (the next day) does anyone know what time we will have to be onboard?

Thanks

Your cabin may not be ready until after 1:30pm ...you could leave your larger bags with the porters then ask on the ship if they can store your carry -on while you go off

or just have lunch & relax until the cabins are ready then drop your carry-on & go

Not sure about sailing day but I would plan for 1 hr prior to sailaway

There will be a notice on the ship in anycase

Lyn

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong:), but I believe that even if you are on an overnight in port for the first night, the safety drill will be carried out on the first night, not the following day.

Just something to bear in mind if you want to get off the ship straight away to explore.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong:), but I believe that even if you are on an overnight in port for the first night, the safety drill will be carried out on the first night, not the following day.

Just something to bear in mind if you want to get off the ship straight away to explore.

Thanks for that. I'm curious how it works. We are in Barcelona till 11pm. Would we then have to come back for muster?

From my experience.....Muster is usually about 5p.m, maybe a little later. All done before dinner.

Yes you'll have to be back on board for Muster,otherwise,without a very good excuse(!), you will be off-loaded.

Since the Costa Concordia tragedy, safety has been taken even more seriously.

Edited by turnip eater
To add more details

Thanks for that. I'm curious how it works. We are in Barcelona till 11pm. Would we then have to come back for muster?

I would ask before you head out & tell them you will be ashore so they are not searching for you at the Muster drill

Sometimes they have a make up drill for those that arrive late

I have not overnighted in an embarkation port so not sure how that works but I would think it would be held on the day of actually sailing

Just a guess though

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I have not overnighted in an embarkation port so not sure how that works but I would think it would be held on the day of actually sailing

Just a guess though

Lyn

I believe that you are right Lyn.

It would make more sense to do it on the date of the sailing as there may be late arrivals, etc.

Right Lyn- On our recent cruise we overnited & the muster drill was in the early am. of departure day- to accommodate the late nite arrivals. In addition, there was a 5pm drill meeting on departure day, so there are a few drill-time options. Also, I can not recall the exact circumstance, but we missed the evening drill on a previous cruise and there was a procedure...I think they had us read and sign something when we boarded.

When we overnighted in Barcelona for the Riviera cruise to Lisbon, the muster drill was on the second day before departure.

Cheers,

Don

Do you remember what time the drill was and what the posted departure time was? I know they will tell us when we get on board, but I want to set up tours ahead of time. Thanks

I can't really answer that, but maybe I can give a little insight.

Our last cruise left Barcelona on Nov. 20th. But the cruise prior I believe (!) arrived on the 19th. So those passengers doing the B2B overnighted.

Our drill was held at 5pm or thereabouts. Then again, we sailed out around 6pm. If you have a later departure (I think you said around 11pm?), it can be hard to predict.

Can your TA find out when the drill will be held? That's the best info.

Mura

Mura

love the sea

Our departure time was 6:00 PM with an all aboard time of 4:30 PM. I cannot remember the time of the muster drill. Yours will be listed in the daily “Currents”, the onboard information sheets that are placed in your cabin every day.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by neepawa

love the sea

Our departure time was 6:00 PM with an all aboard time of 4:30 PM. I cannot remember the time of the muster drill. Yours will be listed in the daily “Currents”, the onboard information sheets that are placed in your cabin every day.

Cheers,

Don

Thanks. I am not a new cruiser....I know that the times are listed in the daily info sheet, but I am trying to set up private tours for that day and wanted to know how much time we would have the day we sailed. Last fall I cruised out of Barcelona on Holland America with an overnight stay. We had a 4:00 sailing and our all-aboard time that day was 3:30 with a 3:40 muster drill. However, I know that different lines have different practices so I was trying to see what Oceania might do. I really don't care when the muster drill is....just wanted an idea of the all aboard time.

Thanks. I am not a new cruiser....I know that the times are listed in the daily info sheet, but I am trying to set up private tours for that day and wanted to know how much time we would have the day we sailed. Last fall I cruised out of Barcelona on Holland America with an overnight stay. We had a 4:00 sailing and our all-aboard time that day was 3:30 with a 3:40 muster drill. However, I know that different lines have different practices so I was trying to see what Oceania might do. I really don't care when the muster drill is....just wanted an idea of the all aboard time.

In Europe, you will be required to be onboard the ship no later than 1 hour before sailing time.

This fact is spelled out specifically in Paragraph 8 of the Terms and Conditions of the Contract of Carriage which is printed out at the back of the Cruise Booklet which you will receive at 6 to 8 weeks before sailing.

FYI, you won't want to schedule Tours too tightly on Embarkation day, because if "Life" should happen and your lateness delays the departure of the ship, YOU may be on the hook for any penalties or fees which are imposed on the vessel. That could run into the thousands; was it really a good idea to stop at that 8th church?