Is cruising for me?

RebelAthena

Hello all,

Long-time lurker, but first-time posting. In short, is cruising for me?

I had never considered cruising until a friend referenced what a great deal that cruising can be; combine that idea with a miserable winter and I've got a room on hold on the Carnival Dream.

First, I'll be a solo cruiser. I have no problems making new friends, or being in my own company, but I wondered if cruising solo is ... too much? Any thoughts?

Second, I don't _think_ I'm prone to seasickness, but does anyone have any thoughts? This leads to the third question ...

Third, because I've been scoping out Carnival daily, I've discovered that my cruise has opened a couple of rooms on the panorama deck. My question is two fold: how bad will the movement of the ship be this high and, even though the room is a deal, its about $100 more than I was thinking about paying for a difference cruise; is the room worth it?

Thanks for reading (and hopefully commenting).

-Reb

Without telling us where the ship is going, can't comment on seas. But generally a ship moves at sea. You are, after all, on a ship at sea. Higher on the ship will cause you to notice the movement more.

So far, you haven't said anything even close to a reason not to cruise.

You won't know until you try it...so give it a go! While I wouldn't want to cruise solo, some folks enjoy it. I like having someone to share my adventures with! If you're social, request fixed dining at a large table, so you'll have folks to chat with at dinner!

The entire ship moves...it's but a cork floating on the sea! The ends of the ship tend to experience more motion than the center...think of a see-saw! If it's rough, you'll feel it everywhere. If it's calm, there's little sensation of movement. Bring some Bonine or Dramamine, just in case!

Taking a cruise is like no other vacation you've ever been on. For most people, us included, cruising is very addictive. There are some that have taken a cruise, and, for whatever reason, decided that it wasn't for them. That's okay. No one will think less of you if you don't like it. At least you're willing to give it a try. Unless you're really susceptible to motion sickness, you'll probably be okay. Yes, you will feel some motion on the ship. But the Dream is a very large ship. Not at all like being on a small boat on a lake or river. If you're worried about seasickness, do as "cb" suggested and bring some Dramamine. Although a number of people like having a cabin on the Panorama deck, I don't think I'd choose that deck for my first cruise. You may want to consider a cabin on a lower deck. The lower you are on the ship, and the closer to the middle of the ship, the less motion you'll feel. Save the $100.00 for something else. Don't be surprised if, somewhere near the end of your cruise, you should start thinking "Why didn't I do this sooner? When can I go again?" If that happens, you might as well face it. You've become addicted to cruising.:D

Hi. Cruising is great for all types, singles included. I have several friends who cruise solo ... They know what they want and when they want to go and aren't afraid of compromising because no-one else can go at the same time. I'd suggest a port-intensive cruise which appeals to a lower demographic ... They days are built for exploring and the nights are partying. Cabins that don't move so much are low and in the middle ... Although if it is really rough, it doesn't matter we're you are in the ship ... You'll feel it. But you are less like to get rough seas if you stay close to land ... And itinerary that hugs a coast will be best.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by CoopColbie

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You won't know if you will like cruising until you try it.

As for sea sickness -- talk to your family doctor about what you should take. People here will say 'this work' for me and 'that works for me' -- but only your doctor will know what will be best for you as he knows what medications you take.

The idea of a cruise is you visit ports, get back on the ship and move on to another port. Most food is included in the price of your fare.

Hello all,

Long-time lurker, but first-time posting. In short, is cruising for me?

I had never considered cruising until a friend referenced what a great deal that cruising can be; combine that idea with a miserable winter and I've got a room on hold on the Carnival Dream.

First, I'll be a solo cruiser. I have no problems making new friends, or being in my own company, but I wondered if cruising solo is ... too much? Any thoughts?

Second, I don't _think_ I'm prone to seasickness, but does anyone have any thoughts? This leads to the third question ...

Third, because I've been scoping out Carnival daily, I've discovered that my cruise has opened a couple of rooms on the panorama deck. My question is two fold: how bad will the movement of the ship be this high and, even though the room is a deal, its about $100 more than I was thinking about paying for a difference cruise; is the room worth it?

Thanks for reading (and hopefully commenting).

-Reb

I'm not a cruise addict, though I enjoy some parts of cruising - cruising is not for everyone, but you'll never know until you try. There are some things it does much better than a land trip or resort, so if you're thinking about it, it's probably worth trying out.

I'm almost always a solo traveler, both on land and cruising, and I think cruising solo is easier than traveling solo on land. If you're good about being on your own, you won't find cruising solo to be too much -- in fact, you'll probably meet others to chat with and socialize with, as there are built in activities and social locations.

As for seasickness, what I did was be sure to take along anti-nausea meds to have in case I needed it. Consider other similar movements - if you get sick on rollercoasters and other types of amusement park rides, I'd be concerned enough to book a low-movement location, but the movement of the ship on "routine" seas is even less than those rides. However, some locations and times of year are more likely to see rough seas, which is where the medications may help.

Cruising is a very different type of vacation than anything on land, so it's worth trying to see if it's something you like.

Agree with everything said so far. Give it a try - that's the only way to know.

The one thing I've noticed about cruising, vs other types of vacations, is that everyone knows we're all in it together. So cruisers tend to reach out more to start and engage in conversations - probably going to see each other again, after all. Never met anyone in the buffet who turned me down when I asked if I could share their table - and then had a lively conversation about where we're from, etc. People always seem interested in what you're doing ashore tomorrow and telling you their plans, and will often spontaneously suggest doing something together.

You won't know if you are prone to seasickness till you spend time on a large vessel. Nothing else compares - small aircraft, little boats, rocky trains - you won't know in advance. So bring all the stuff - the pills, the ear patches, the ginger candies, whatever. If you need it, take it, try it till you find what works. But likely you'll find you get along just fine.

Check out the solo cruisers board here on CC. I've cruised solo and really enjoyed it. You have the whole cabin to yourself and can do as you like.

As for seasickness, I love roller coasters and things like that, and don't get carsick or airsick, but I DO get seasick. The prescription scopolamine patch works great for me, but it doesn't work for everyone, and there can be some side effects. Agree with the advice to have a chat with your doctor, and do some research on your own. There are a lot of OTC and alternative remedies (Dramamine, sea bands, ginger capsules, etc.), so it might be an idea to do some research and buy a few different things and take them along.

You CAN buy some remedies on board, but the price will be much higher than at home, and the ship's store might not have what you're looking for.

I hope you have a great trip!

I think you HAVE to try it to see if you like it.

And possibly more than once.

The first time I HATED it. The second time I was pleasantly surprised. We will be crossing on the QM2 this fall and I am hopeful that I will like it even better!

It could be something that grows on you ; -)