Men's Formal Night Clothes

MoBro713

We are doing an 8 day Pacific Coastal cruise on the Century in May. How formal are the formal nights? Can I wear a blue blazer and gray pants or do I need a suit or tux? Does Murano require formal wear on the same nights?

Thanks very much.

We are doing an 8 day Pacific Coastal cruise on the Century in May. How formal are the formal nights? Can I wear a blue blazer and gray pants or do I need a suit or tux? Does Murano require formal wear on the same nights?

Thanks very much.

The dress code says a suit, dinner jacket or Tux however realistically what you stated will not be a problem. Formal only applies to the MDR, all the Specialty restaurants including Blu are smart casual every night which means no jacket.

Here is the Celebrity Dress Code:

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks. Only required in the Main Restaurant on formal evenings.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass guests, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all time onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

Thanks very much.

Though we love dressing to the nines, A sport coat tie & nice slacks & dress shirts will be fine. Tie & coat only required for formal night. The rest of the time, a nice dress shirt & smart khakis will do fine.

Also note that one exception to Smart Casual and Above in the theater is that depending on the ship, some Captains only want people dressed in formal dress on the main floor of the theater during the Captain's toast on formal night. Don't think it always happens, but it has happened on at least three cruises we have been on in recent years. Once the Captain's toast is over, no issue with smart casual and you can always wear it on the upper floor. Seems silly I know, and some will no doubt say I am wrong, but I know for sure it can happen as we were turned away one night:(

The dress code says a suit, dinner jacket or Tux however realistically what you stated will not be a problem. Formal only applies to the MDR, all the Specialty restaurants including Blu are smart casual every night which means no jacket.

Personally, I wish they would reverse those (formal nights for the upscale specialty restaurants, which are optional) and stay with smart casual in the MDR every night where the standard meals are served. We don't mind dressing up from time to time, but that's at home when we have a closet full of clothes rather than a 29" suitcase to fit 2 weeks of clothes in (we try to pack light).

But I know for some the formal nights are the highlight of the cruise. Usually we find the maitre d's aren't TOO picky (as long as you make some effort to dress up), but that's been on RCCL, NCL, and Princess. Anyone know if Celebrity is stricter about it than RCCL typically is?

Though we love dressing to the nines, A sport coat tie & nice slacks & dress shirts will be fine. Tie & coat only required for formal night. The rest of the time, a nice dress shirt & smart khakis will do fine.

A tie is "required" for formal night? Really?

Thanks very much.

Formal dress discussions on these boards always turn into a messy debate full of lots of opinions and few facts. Don (dkjretired) posted the factually correct answer and I'll confirm that. While the blazer and pants do not conform with the dress code you will not be turned away from the MDR wearing this. Most of the cruisers will be dressed in tuxes or suits but you won't be alone in wearing a blazer or sport jacket.

Edited by Lsimon

Personally, I wish they would reverse those (formal nights for the upscale specialty restaurants, which are optional) and stay with smart casual in the MDR every night where the standard meals are served. We don't mind dressing up from time to time, but that's at home when we have a closet full of clothes rather than a 29" suitcase to fit 2 weeks of clothes in (we try to pack light).

But I know for some the formal nights are the highlight of the cruise. Usually we find the maitre d's aren't TOO picky (as long as you make some effort to dress up), but that's been on RCCL, NCL, and Princess. Anyone know if Celebrity is stricter about it than RCCL typically is?

My opinion is that they won't change it because they are making a lot of money from people who are going to the Specialty restaurants since they don't need to dress formally. We see that almost every day on this board.

Really. Formal attire outside of the world of Celebrity indicates a tux or suit. Something you would wear to say a wedding. Celebrity I believe is being lenient with there "formal" requirements. That being said, on a Formal night on the ship in the MDR, at the very least you should wear a tie.

Really. Formal attire outside of the world of Celebrity indicates a tux or suit. Something you would wear to say a wedding. Celebrity I believe is being lenient with there "formal" requirements. That being said, on a Formal night on the ship in the MDR, at the very least you should wear a tie.

There is a big difference between what one "should" wear and what is "required". I have never heard of someone being denied entrance to the MDR For not having a tie.

Thanks very much.

Yes you can wear a blue blazer and gray pants for formal evening. Enjoy your Cruise.

With what I saw some people getting away with on formal nights*, you will have no problems with a blazer.

*bright orange polo, khaki shorts, flip flops

That's gotta be an unusual exception. I've seen people turned away for wearing shorts to dinner in the MDR on a regular night, let alone a formal night.

While I'm an advocate of allowing smart casual every night in the MDR, shorts and flip flops is taking it way to the opposite extreme.

A nice happy medium would be preferred.

Yes, really! The official dress code has already been provided in the thread. I don't think a tux, dinner jacket or suit would be worn without a tie. As others have said, in practice a sport coat, dress slacks AND shirt/tie will also be accepted, despite the fact that it doesn't officially meet the listed requirement.

Here is the Celebrity Dress Code:

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks. Only required in the Main Restaurant on formal evenings.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass guests, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all time onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

We're experienced RCI cruisers, looking at Celebrity - one of the reasons is, it appears they actually enforce their dress code for the most part - RCI's is pretty much turning into a joke!

I don't see a tie listed as mandatory for formal nights. I have worn a jacket without a tie plenty of times. Question...whats the difference between a dinner jacket, sports coat and a blazer?

The formal attire description doesn't include a shirt, socks or shoes either but it is common sense that dressing formally would include these items as well as a tie. The majority of the men on the ship will dress formally, following Celebrity's dress code, and wear a tuxedo or suit. There will some, with the percentage varying by the length of cruise and itinerary, who will wear a sport jacket or blazer - these people are not dressed formally but will none the less be admitted to the dining room without any hassle. On a some cruises people dressed less formal than that, and with no jacket, will be turned away from the dining room and on others they will be allowed as the enforcement is not consistent. Likewise, while a tie is a necessity for most formalwear of the type commonly worn on the ships, you would not be turned away from the dining room if you didn't have one.

A dinner jacket is a formal jacket as opposed to casual jackets such as blazers or sports jackets. Best example is formalwear that includes a white or ivory colored formal jacket with black formal slacks.

Here is a classic example of a dinner jacket:

th?id=HN.608027958845836117&pid=15.1

While they have technically different history and background, these days the terms sports coat and blazer have either the same or a very similar meaning and are used interchangeably by many people.

Edited by Lsimon

Thinking of dinner jackets, think of James Bond -- that ivory coat, with the dark trousers. Or a dark velvet jacket. Google has many images to guide you.

Blazers are typically navy, with metal buttons and patch pockets, leftovers from their yachting history.

Sports jackets are typically coarser material, tweed, corduroy, etc., with their history in the hunt, rather than at sea.

I don't see a tie listed as mandatory for formal nights. I have worn a jacket without a tie plenty of times. Question...whats the difference between a dinner jacket, sports coat and a blazer?
A dinner jacket is a formal jacket. Best example is formalwear that includes a white or ivory colored formal jacket with black formal slacks.

While they have technically different history and background, these days the terms sports coat and blazer have either the same or a very similar meaning and are used interchangeably by many people.

Yep. You don't see a tie listed as mandatory because a tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket would almost never be worn without one. You're already getting a bit of a pass wearing a sport coat or blazer.

With what I saw some people getting away with on formal nights*, you will have no problems with a blazer.

*bright orange polo, khaki shorts, flip flops

I might get flamed for this, but I admit if I saw a boor being let into the MDR on formal night dressed like that, I'd lodge a complaint with the maitre' d and ask that the knuckle-dragger be required to leave and don appropriate attire. Sportcoat or blazer on formal night - no big deal. Even worn without a tie - if he's allowed in the door, not worth making a stink about. But a bright orange polo, khaki shorts and flip flops? Yeah, I'd lodge a "formal" complaint!

Thanks for the answers! I was talking about wearing a suit (not sport coat my bad) without a tie. Next week it will be a black suit with a mint green shirt, no tie for St Paddys Day. I hope I don't offend...lol

You won't offend anyone. I'll argue that a tie is part of a standard formal outfit but that's definition only. To me the important thing is to wear something dressy and nice that meets the spirit of formal night on the ship and what you're describing is fine.