How does OBC per cabin work?

JJPacer

How does OBC per cabin work? DH and I have always cruised together. So it didn't matter who's account received the OBC. We are traveling with our adult son for the first time, together in the same cabin. So how is the OBC handled when there are 3 people in the same cabin? Who's account receives it? JJ

I think it depends on the type of OBC. I know that stockholder OBC goes on the account of the person designated as guest #1 on the reservation.

Correct. It depends. Some OBC is per cabin, some is per person, up to 2 people, in most cases.

More specifics, please, OP.

It also depends on if you are breaking up the bill for each person separately.

I just cruised with my family... there were 4 of us in 2 cabins. I was paying for all on board expenses and had them combine everything for all 4 passengers onto one statement. Therefore - the total OBC for each person was combined and taken off the combined bill. This worked great for us since the spending was less for the 19 year olds and more for the adults.

I think it depends on the type of OBC. I know that stockholder OBC goes on the account of the person designated as guest #1 on the reservation.

I wonder why it is applied to Guest #1. My shareholder OBC went on my mother's account (she was Guest #1) on our last cruise. We usually have separate accounts. It should have gone on my account as I'm the shareholder. I got it changed by the Front Desk when I saw that it was on her account so it was all okay in the end. But I wonder why HAL assumes that Guest #1 is the shareholder.

On the upcoming cruise, I am listed as Guest #1 but this time we have quite a bit of OBC so I combined our accounts to make sure that we use it all!

I wonder why it is applied to Guest #1. My shareholder OBC went on my mother's account (she was Guest #1) on our last cruise. We usually have separate accounts. It should have gone on my account as I'm the shareholder. I got it changed by the Front Desk when I saw that it was on her account so it was all okay in the end. But I wonder why HAL assumes that Guest #1 is the shareholder.

On the upcoming cruise, I am listed as Guest #1 but this time we have quite a bit of OBC so I combined our accounts to make sure that we use it all!

How do you combine accounts?

How do you combine accounts?

I believe it will happen automatically when you do the online check in and use the same credit card for all parties in the same cabin.

I asked the front desk to add my sister's cabin.

The OBC is from the TA and is per cabin. We will request shareholder credit, but that has always been placed on the account of the shareholders name. DH & I will use our credit card for our accounts. DS will use his own credit card for his account, not ours.

I'm curious how the per cabin OBC is applied. Will it be divided by 3, and 1/3 placed on each account? When we check-in, can we request how we want the per cabin OBC applied to each account?

The OBC is from the TA and is per cabin. We will request shareholder credit, but that has always been placed on the account of the shareholders name. DH & I will use our credit card for our accounts. DS will use his own credit card for his account, not ours.

I'm curious how the per cabin OBC is applied. Will it be divided by 3, and 1/3 placed on each account? When we check-in, can we request how we want the per cabin OBC applied to each account?

I could be wrong, but don't think your DS will get any credit. Are you and your DH really going to have separate accounts? If you are using the same credit card, I don't think a couple is really a separate account. It certainly hasn't been with DW and I sail on HAL.

If you are using the same credit card, I don't think a couple is really a separate account. It certainly hasn't been with DW and I sail on HAL.
While only one account, we have on some cruises been given separate lists of charges on each key-card with separate totals, and OBCs split between them. I thought it was the "new" way until our last cruise (5/13), where there was just one combined list.

While only one account, we have on some cruises been given separate lists of charges on each key-card with separate totals, and OBCs split between them. I thought it was the "new" way until our last cruise (5/13), where there was just one combined list.

Sometimes they combine them and sometimes not. Best to ask and tell them what you want.

Right now our OBCs are listed separately for my husband and myself and at different amounts. Plus we're suppose to get the Explore 4. I didn't think about the separate accounts and what if one of us uses more then the other. Don't imagine that would be a problem with the drink card since I imagine he could always buy me a drink on his when I use mine all up.

Sometimes they combine them and sometimes not. Best to ask and tell them what you want.
It makes no difference to me, since it's all on the same credit card and we've never had enough OBC to exceed the HSC plus what we each charge. Edited by jtl513

Can all OBC be used to pay the HSC?

In practice, OBC can be used for anything on your charge, even though some OBC is supposed to be restricted.

The way it works is OBC is placed at the beginning of your account, and all charges are subtracted from it until it runs out. Then, the bill starts accruing.