Friends Of Dorothy

bryjohn

"They don't have social gatherings for heterosexual folks"

Its called "the newlywed game" or "not so newlywed game"

That's a one-time event. Just like Celebrity sets up the Cruise Connections Party, and sometimes ships set up an event for singles; after that, you are on your own. I would expect the same for the FOW gatherings. I wouldn't expect any special treatment. :rolleyes:

Why the gatherings? Imagine you're on a cruise line where very few passengers spoke English. Wouldn't it be nice to have a time and place scheduled where you could hang out with people you could talk to?

LGBT gatherings are no different: When people travel, they sometimes want to feel more at home by mingling with people who "speak their language." ;)

I thought it was Alcoholics Anonymous......never hear of "Friends of Dorothy". It's a good thing the "Friends of Bill" don't meet at the Martini bar:cool::cool::cool:

The "Friends of Bill W" was started so that those attending meetings on vacations, business trips etc. could maintain that anonymity. Not everyone in recovery is comfortable with everyone else knowing that they are an alcoholic.

"Friends of Dorothy" was started a long time ago as well modeled after the AA privacy name. Tolerance to alternative lifestyles is relatively new and even today not everyone is. Having FOD meeting was a way to connect with others of their "community" without having to out themselves. It was also a way for LGBT people to converse with one another in public and ask about someone's identity without cluing in Nosie Rosie's listening in the conversation what the true subject was.

As to why they get a "special" meeting: because if there are enough passengers of a similar group that desire to have one the ship will provide the space if available. So if you want to have a Friends of Wine, Crocheting for Cats, or Bob the Builder Bridge Buddies meeting by all means speak to the CD and if there are enough supporters on board you can meet to. No one is telling any group they can't meet. They are saying if there is a sufficient number to form a group that desires to meet once, often, or daily on a cruise the line will support it.

Edited by Clydesmom7865

On the Reflection it was always held at 10:15 at the Molecular Bar. We would make a point in going the first night or two but usually stopped after that.

Recently on the Constellation they had it at two times: 5:15 and 7:30 I believe and it met at the Martini Bar. Martini Bar was a hectic place to meet since it was always packed, especially at 7:30. It worked well for us though since that is where we wanted to be anyway. We did meet a couple other couples and a few traveling solo which was nice.

The name has been changed to GLBT as opposed to FOD (Friends of Dorothy) and it is posted by Guest Relations. We never had a host for any of these meetings on any of our cruises.

The "Friends of Bill W" was started so that those attending meetings on vacations, business trips etc. could maintain that anonymity. Not everyone in recovery is comfortable with everyone else knowing that they are an alcoholic.

"Friends of Dorothy" was started a long time ago as well modeled after the AA privacy name. Tolerance to alternative lifestyles is relatively new and even today not everyone is. Having FOD meeting was a way to connect with others of their "community" without having to out themselves. It was also a way for LGBT people to converse with one another in public and ask about someone's identity without cluing in Nosie Rosie's listening in the conversation what the true subject was.

As to why they get a "special" meeting: because if there are enough passengers of a similar group that desire to have one the ship will provide the space if available. So if you want to have a Friends of Wine, Crocheting for Cats, or Bob the Builder Bridge Buddies meeting by all means speak to the CD and if there are enough supporters on board you can meet to. No one is telling any group they can't meet. They are saying if there is a sufficient number to form a group that desires to meet once, often, or daily on a cruise the line will support it.

Absolutely correct - thank you! On one HAL cruise I even attended an RN gathering. Someone must have noted how many nurses were onboard, contacted the CD and sure enough, on a sea day we had some 50+ RN's gather for several hours and just socialize. It was great. :)

We never had a host for any of these meetings on any of our cruises.

It has been awhile since we sailed on Princess, but they always had a host(ess). It generally was a member of the entertainment staff who was also a FOD. ;)

I really don't care one way or the other but wonder why people want separate gatherings? I have several close friends who are gay. I can't imagine them desiring to go to a separately labeled party.

Apparently you do. Why don't you ask all of those close friends of yours if they'd appreciate an LGBT gathering. You might be surprised that they would. And since the gathering (not party) is inclusive, you can stop by and say hello and have a few drinks on your next cruise.

Absolutely correct - thank you! On one HAL cruise I even attended an RN gathering. Someone must have noted how many nurses were onboard, contacted the CD and sure enough, on a sea day we had some 50+ RN's gather for several hours and just socialize. It was great. :)

There ya go. I will give one more reason that the cruise lines support it: typically the LGBT community prefers to meet in BARS. They spend quite a bit of money on alcohol during these social gatherings and NO cruise line is going to turn down that revenue.

It is the same reason when the LGBT community plans an annual unofficial trip to Disney World that no matter how many protests conservative and religious groups have over it: Disney will NOT turn them away. Disney has a long standing policy of not turning away ANY guest as long as they pay the park fee and their behavior conforms to park policy. The ONLY thing they do is post a sign at the park entrances that states there is a large gathering in the park and if you are not comfortable then visit another day.

Be realistic: which do you think Disney prefers? The LGBT community with platinum cards by the fistful staying in their hotel rooms, spending gobs of money in the parks, restaurants, and bars or the local church group with 34 kids who have $100 in their pockets for one day? Like most businesses Disney only cares if your money is good not what you do behind closed doors.

It isn't like you have to give a lengthy explanation to anyone either. When my friend's nine year old daughter asked why everyone was in red shirts at the local amusement park one year during the LGBT outing we simply told her that they were all from one group like the Smith family reunion might wear shirts to recognize relatives they had not seen in a long time. She simply shrugged and said that makes sense and there was no further discussion. If the kids saw shirts that said FOD on them they are more likely to assume they all like the Wizard of Oz than anything else.

It isn't like you have to give a lengthy explanation to anyone either. When my friend's nine year old daughter asked why everyone was in red shirts at the local amusement park one year during the LGBT outing we simply told her that they were all from one group like the Smith family reunion might wear shirts to recognize relatives they had not seen in a long time. She simply shrugged and said that makes sense and there was no further discussion. If the kids saw shirts that said FOD on them they are more likely to assume they all like the Wizard of Oz than anything else.

Hehe I totally get this!

I had never heard the term "Friends of Dorothy" until last year when DH and I were on Carnival. I saw it in the daily schedule and thought it was a birthday reunion event. :rolleyes: Call it whatever you like, it seems perfectly normal that the LGBT community would want to have a way of finding one another when on a ship, just like I'd enjoy finding the rest of the ladies who like to get pedicures while staring at the ocean and drinking margaritas. :p Having commonalities is a great way to bond and make new friends!

They don't have social gatherings for heterosexual folks per se.

Every event, unless otherwise stated, is a social gathering for heterosexual folks. Is it not generally presumed that everyone is heterosexual in most social situations? Sometimes it's just nice to take a break and be around your own people without having to risk negative reaction, particularly when you are cruising with a boat full of strangers. Besides, non-LGBT allies are not discouraged from attending.

They don't have social gatherings for heterosexual folks per se.

That's like saying they don't have special gatherings for people who aren't alcoholics. You don't organise special gatherings for people who belong to the majority - that would be pointless and discriminatory.

Although on some ships I do get the feeling that alcoholics perhaps are the majority and the Friends of Bill W are the only sober ones.

You don't organise special gatherings for people who belong to the majority - that would be pointless and discriminatory. .

As long as it's a minority, it's not discriminatory? How does this make any sense? As long as it's open to anyone, it's not discriminatory. As mentioned above, the LGBT meeting is open to anyone. Therefore, it's not discriminatory. If it was closed to non LGBT, that would be discriminatory.

What is friends of Dorothy? Sorry a lot of the CC lingo is unfamiliar to me. Sort of like getting used to my 16 year olds lingo.

Actually it's an old phrase for gay meetings. Kind of like "Friends of Bill W." being for alcoholics anonomous. The more correct term is LGBT(Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Trangendered)We got it all covered!

AA has one too. It's called Friends of Bill.

I'm waiting for Celebrity to acknowledge my group -- Friends of Wine. We can all meet in Cellar Masters for cocktails before dinner. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm. I kind of like that one!

Can anyone please tell me if they have a friends of dorothy evening on Celebrity Equinix

Usually it's posted on the bulletin board near guest relations. Meetings are usually in the martini bar. On Our Jan.25 Eclipse trip, we saw no one at the meeting place. That's not to say there weren't a lot of us on board, however.

On the Reflection last April, it was held at 10:15 PM in the Molecular Bar, which was a pretty terrible venue considering all the through traffic and there was no host or signage.

Cunard is much better in this regard, holding the GLBT gatherings at 5PM in an area clearly indicated by signage and in some cases the Cruise Director would host. They also listed it in the daily program, albeit as "Friends of Dorothy."

Yes. I always liked that about Cunard. Sometimes it was listed as LGBT. I think it has something to do with the cruise director.

Don't be afraid to say "gay" folks. It won't up set us!

I'm asking this because of a lack of knowledge. A college in our town just named someone to head their programs related to this. This is a state college and his title is LGBTQ co-ordinator. The Q stands for Queer. I really thought it weird and this is not a joke. Here's a link just so you don't think its a joke or I'm insulting someone.

http://www.bloomu.edu/LGBTQA

Edited by dkjretired

Not putting anyone down, just wondering why they need to have special gatherings? They don't have social gatherings for heterosexual folks per se. I get the AA meetings, as it can be hard to stay on track or whatever the right words are, particularly when everyone around you is drinking and sometimes alot:). I really don't care one way or the other but wonder why people want separate gatherings? I have several close friends who are gay. I can't imagine them desiring to go to a separately labeled party.

"I have several close friends who are gay" Sure about that?? If you did, I'm sure they would enlighten you as to how "the other half" live.

I'm asking this because of a lack of knowledge. A college in our town just named someone to head their programs related to this. This is a state college and his title is LGBTQ co-ordinator. The Q stands for Queer. I really thought it weird and this is not a joke. Here's a link just so you don't think its a joke or I'm insulting someone.

http://www.bloomu.edu/LGBTQA

Q can stand for "queer" or the more all-embracing "questioning" depending on what group of people it represents. There are also half a million variations which add extra letters, depending on who is feeling left out at the time. The whole labelling thing is highly politicised. Some groups (such as intersex people) often disagree with being added to the mix with terms such as LGBTI. The use of the word "queer" is an example of a group trying to reclaim a derogatory word so it can't be used against them.

For social groups (as opposed to support, activism or political groups) I think the GLBT/LGBT term is adequate.

For the record I don't fit into any of these labels. I just pick up this stuff from relatives and friends who do.

Apparently you do. Why don't you ask all of those close friends of yours if they'd appreciate an LGBT gathering. You might be surprised that they would. And since the gathering (not party) is inclusive, you can stop by and say hello and have a few drinks on your next cruise.

No, actually I really don't. I was just curious.

Q can stand for "queer" or the more all-embracing "questioning" depending on what group of people it represents. There are also half a million variations which add extra letters, depending on who is feeling left out at the time. The whole labelling thing is highly politicised. Some groups (such as intersex people) often disagree with being added to the mix with terms such as LGBTI. The use of the word "queer" is an example of a group trying to reclaim a derogatory word so it can't be used against them.

For social groups (as opposed to support, activism or political groups) I think the GLBT/LGBT term is adequate.

For the record I don't fit into any of these labels. I just pick up this stuff from relatives and friends who do.

I just though it would be a derogatory word when I read it in our local newspaper a couple of months ago but your comment makes sense. It does stand for Queer because if you open one of the links it spells it out. The a stands for Ally.

Here's that link.

http://www.bloomu.edu/LGBTQA/Commission

Edited by dkjretired

Can anyone please tell me if they have a friends of dorothy evening on Celebrity Equinix

We were on the Equinox from Barcelona to Fort lauderdale last November and yes there was a Friends of Dorothy. It was not listed in the "daily news paper" but it was listed on the board near Guest Relations. I believe it was under GLBT. The usual meeting place for Friends of Dorothy or GLBT seems to be the Martini Bar. 7:00 p.m. seems like the time when people begin to meet for cocktails. We cruise once or twice a year and this has always been our experience. In fact we are doing a crossing on the Constellation from Rome to Fort Lauderdale this November.

Edited by Chicago Boy