Fish and chips

hsaroya

I actually wanted to ask about the Wheelhouse fish and chips and how they compared, as we will be on the Regal Princess prior, but was afraid of offending the British masses!

Well, if you have caused offence that makes at least three of us :D

Just back from Sun Princess. Had looked forward to lunch-time fish & chips on sea-days, but not available. :(

Instead the Wheelhouse Bar was frequently over-run with pictures for the so-called art auctions :mad:

If the same happens on Regal Princess, post here and you & I can start a mutiny. :p

JB :)

Well, this is just a function of that fact that pub food is "variable" - to be kind to it.

95% or more of pub food is freezer-to-microwave stuff prepared in vast batches in factories and delivered to the outlets in its frozen state, and heated up there by staff who are basically kitchen technicians. The factories even go so far as to provide the design and print services for the rustic-looking menus on the pub tables.

Consequently, most pub food is rubbish - including the fish and chips.

The Fish and chips in JDwetherspoon are surprisingly good most of the time.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/static/pdfs/admin-generated/fish-friday-97.pdf

available all week, on offer up to 5pm

price varies around £5-£6-£7 with the drink.

Not up to a good chipy or restaurant but great value with a good beer.

They changed from pre battered frozen(which were very bad) last year and most of the time it comes out good, peas can be a bit variable.

2. North like mushy peas (green sludge that may have been peas at some time but have been cooked to death and beyond)

Mushy peas aren't cooked to death. They're steeped overnight, which is why they mush, but they aren't cooked any longer than garden peas.

Mushy peas are made from Marrowfat peas, soaked overnight with baking soda then cooked.

Mushy peas are made from Marrowfat peas, soaked overnight with baking soda then cooked.

OK processed to death then - I prefer not to eat my fish and chips accompanied by a green cow pat (but that's just me!):rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, you're speaking to my heart, hsaroya! They say "haddock is for heroes, cod is for zeroes" but I like both. Going about London, if you're near Paddington Station/St. Mary's Hospital, try Micky's Fish Bar @ 29 Norfolk Place. If near the Victoria Coach Station, try the Friars Inn, 21 Elizabeth Street. George's Portobello Fish Bar @ 329 Portobello Road is good. The Golden Hind, 73 Marylebone Lane, is good. As is the Fish & Chip Shop, 189 Upper Street, Islington. None have been attacked by restaurant-itis, are simple chippies. Many London chippies are no-frills Greek chrome and Formica establishments, the type I like best. Too, I'm big on fish 'n chips in the pubs. The Swan on the Bayswater Road, near Lancaster Gate, excels. As does The Mount, corner of South Audley Street and Mount Street, near The Connaught. Any one might well suit you.

• 3 months later...
... and Poppies in Spitalfields.
We went over there with some visitors a couple of weeks ago. Excellent fish, generous servings, and an attractively-decorated restaurant. The service was a bit haphazard though, but we probably contributed to that because one of our group got very lost and so we were hogging the table for longer than we should have on a busy Friday evening with a long queue. We'd definitely return - thank you again for the suggestion!

I believe the OP asked about any places in London that had good old fashioned Fish and Chips. One direct answer in 2 pages? Come on guys. I want to know the answer too. One post is not what Cruise Critic is all about.

I am very sorry that those of us who give of our own time to help out here didn't meet your expectations of what Cruise Critic is about.

For the record, I count four posts with recommendations, a couple of reviews and answers to follow-up questions the OP had about regional differences and on-board fish and chips.

Enjoy your visit :)

For the record, I count four posts with recommendations, a couple of reviews and answers to follow-up questions the OP had about regional differences and on-board fish and chips.
icon14.gif

And a regional recommendation for Stamford, arising out of the OP saying that he was touring there (although it transpires that he isn't).

We stayed at Marriott County Hall, and went to the Laughing Halibut (on Strutton Ground) one day, which was an easy walk. It is a formica tabled, or take away chippie place, very reasonable and was the best fish & chips we had. Masters was also very good.

The British Fish Company just opened on Leicester Square, great location.

They quick fry with less oil being absorbed and according to reviews turn out a superior product to the "dirty oil" shops.

We'll find out in September-October when we'll be in London.

A fish and chip shop in the UK won't stay open very long if they are serving rubbish, so anywhere that's not newly opened you should be safe enough.

Personally, I prefer the places (boom boom!) that stick to just fish and chips but many do all sorts of other food too.

... will be staying near Hyde Park.
Where "near Hyde Park"? The park (especially if you include the half that's technically Kensington Gardens) accounts for a large swathe of central London, so the answer may be different depending on where you are actually staying.

We'll be staying at the Doubletree Hilton on Bayswater Rd.
Then of the recommendations that have been made in this thread, I think that these are the closest:-
Going about London, if you're near Paddington Station/St. Mary's Hospital, try Micky's Fish Bar @ 29 Norfolk Place. ... George's Portobello Fish Bar @ 329 Portobello Road is good.