RCC's New Quantum class

Well, I'll say it.

I don't need all the bells and whistles.

Some of us sail to relax. Some of us sail to get to beautiful islands.

If I wanted an amusement park, I'd go to one!

Glad there are so many various options to keep everyone happy.

I'll happily continue to mostly sail on poor, little, old Carnival Fantasy (with one of the best chefs, staff and crew I've encountered in my soon-to-be 20 cruises).

I for one can say this is my 5th and last Carnival cruise after seeing the new Quantum class.

Bumber cars?

Sky Diving?

The outdoor viewing thingamajig?

Guess I was really just wondering how the rest of you felt.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipCode=QN

I enjoy the bells and whistles and consider the ship more important than the destination. However I just can't see bumper cars being too enticing (that goes for the rock wall also). The outdoor viewing and skydiving do seem like pretty good ideas though. I believe each cruise line has something special to offer (Disney with the water coaster; Carnival with the ropes course and water slides). Overall RCI has the prettiest ships but I'm still not going to limit myself to a ship based on looks which is why I enjoy all the cruise lines for the unique things they offer.

One of the things to keep in mind is that Carnival is a budget friendly cruise line that offer cheaper cruises compare to RCC, NCL and other cruises lines. Like the ole saying, you get what you want pay for. RCC new ship is nice and has interesting things to do like bumper cars, but i am not going to be paying for the higher prices for the cruise

I think that many individuals are missing the pont. The comparison between RCCL and Carnival is not "Bumper Cars". It is the direction in which both lines are going. Not so many years ago Carnival and RCCL were close competitors with Carnival having the edge in many areas such as the design of the ships, entertainment, and quality of food.

Then the lines went in different directions.

RCCL, with their Oasis and Allure of the Seas announced that they wanted to be the most innovative line sailing. They increased their prices, but increased service and added more options for individuals. If you want Bumper Cars RCCL had them, but if you didn't there were many other activities and venues that you could have on their ships. Entertainment became a speciality. Although their shipos are large, there is actually more space/passenger compared to other lines.

Carnival decided to place as many cruisers as they could engineer on their ships to increase capacity and cut costs. Carnival is a "bare bones" cruise. The comparison is between eating at Outback or Denny's. Certainly you will not walk away from Denny's hungry, but the service is not the same.

If an individual is looking for the absolute cheapest price- take Carnival. If you are looking for innovation, take RCCL.

Isn't it great to have choices.

I don't know. The Quantum doesn't excite me nearly as much as the Oasis class.

The 3 headliner features of the Quantum don't resonate with me all that much. Bumper cars at sea...not very exciting, and I am a HUGE theme park/ride fan. I'll take Carnival's waterslides. The crane thing...probably interesting for a few minutes, but are you really going to see that much more than standing on the top deck of the ship? It's just water. The sky diving...okay that is cool, but I really hope there is a reservation system for it. On sea days the wait times will be horrendous.

My main gripe about the ship, however, is that there seems to be very little actual outdoor space on the Quantum's upper deck. Look at a top down view...so much of it is covered in glass. Not a big fan of that. Compare that to the Oasis and Allure which have several outdoor spaces, themed areas, and decks.

That said, I'm sure the ship is truly beautiful inside and many of the spaces are probably incredible, like the Two70.

Edited by Pete C

I cruise for relaxation. I am not drawn to amusement parks and such. For me the ocean is the draw. I have cruise many times with both CCL and RCCL. My favorite ships yet are the Fantasy class where you can actually sit out in a breeze. The Conquest class starts to give me claustrophobia. If it was not for the deck #3 I do not know if I would cruise on them.

I am going on the Breeze in May. I am having high expectations after looking at You tube videos of lots of open spaces along with having a cove balcony.

I am looking forward to see what the Vista class does for me. They are bragging about lots of connection to the sea. Time will tell

. Bumber cars?

Sky Diving?

thingamajig?

Still trying to figure out what a bumber car is? And thingamajigs. No thanks. Sticking with Carnival. Those things do not excite me at all.

I enjoy the bells and whistles and consider the ship more important than the destination. However I just can't see bumper cars being too enticing (that goes for the rock wall also). The outdoor viewing and skydiving do seem like pretty good ideas though. I believe each cruise line has something special to offer (Disney with the water coaster; Carnival with the ropes course and water slides). Overall RCI has the prettiest ships but I'm still not going to limit myself to a ship based on looks which is why I enjoy all the cruise lines for the unique things they offer.

Kids will LOVE them (and lots of grown ups too). I've never seen anybody on CC comment that their kids only cruise for relaxation or an connection to the sea. Obviously a lot of the innovations are aimed at attracting the "theme park" crowd and will be very popular.

If you want bumper cars, ice skating, and skydiving on your cruise, then carnival isn't for you. Enjoy RCI. :D

You are absolutely right...anybody desiring that kind of stuff is looking in the wrong place with a Carnival cruise. Bear in mind that when the "ship becomes the destination", interesting itineraries are sacrificed. The biggest and best RCCL ships basically go nowhere.

Edited by ronandannette

I love the external look, the great ocean views in public areas, and the fun atmosphere of Carnival ships, but I actually kind of like Quantum. It looks a lot more inviting than Oasis class ships, with undulating (wavy) sides and a complete aft end, rather than a big gaping hole there. That crane thing up top looks like of tacky, but it's easy enough to tune out, and it's gotta be a blast to ride in it. I'm still not a fan of giant ships that look like shopping malls inside, but I could easily be convinced to try Quantum (and Anthem).

By the way, you might want to cross-post this on the Royal Caribbean forum. Get the other side's opinion.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I used to be one of those that used the "I don't need the bells and whistles" argument to justify sticking with Carnival and not branching out to other, more expensive cruise lines.

And that changed in 2011 when we sailed on the Allure. The experience was about SO much more than just the "bells and whistles". It was like taking a bite off the forbidden fruit! Wonderful experience, NOT because of zip lines, rock climbing walls or ice rinks, but because of everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I do like Royal better, but it is their smaller Radiance class ships I enjoy. I cruise to feel like I am at sea, not a mall or amusement park.

To be fair re the bumper cars, it is part of a mixed-use space, not just dedicated to them.

I think the big Royal ships are amazing, but at the end of the day, I will be on quieter smaller ships. Thank goodness we have choices.

I am happy to have Carnival too, because they allow me to sail more than I otherwise could.

the oasis class was a huge disappointment... so the quantum class would be a quantum disappointment i think..sorry for the pun :p

instead of 5 bad things, there will be 8 bad things... instead of 5 bad restaurants and shows, there will be more bad restaurants and shows.. more bad things <> make it better.

Not saying carnival is better, it isn't... (except for MDR food), but when RCI pretends to have good restaurants/shows and then so underdeliver, it's hard not to be disappointed..atleast carnival doesn't pretend to have good paid restaurants or shows.

The paid restaurants on oasis are mediocore at best..having more choices of mediocore paid restaurants isn't any better. The shows are akin to a local production of live theater and the aqua show was laughably bad and boring. the so called broadway inspired shows were half the quality of decent ones on land.

cramming more mediocre venues onto a ship, is'nt really making it any better.

When they pretend to have comparable items as on land (e.g. decent paid restaurants, shows and etc) but then can't even deliver the worst cirque show I've seen and food quality in paid restaurants I wouldn't bother to goto on land, and bumper cars in a small enviornment reminds me of those sad indoor gocart tracks I had to endure in teambuilding at work.

But I'm the atypical RCI/Carnival cruiser I guess... I'm not a sucker for novelty but for quality and I don't mind if quality is not measurable to onland, but don't try to sell me something that they can't deliver like decent restaurants, shows, entertainment.

Edited by gilboman

I for one can say this is my 5th and last Carnival cruise after seeing the new Quantum class.

Bumber cars?

Sky Diving?

The outdoor viewing thingamajig?

I'm pretty sure my last CCL (by choice anyway) was my 4th. However, bumper cars don't interest me. I cruise for the Sea! I'll probably look for a good deal on Oasis in a few years when I'm ready for a change.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

Quantum class looks amazing, but I wouldn't say it would be my last Carnival cruise after seeing that ship. I like both lines, and don't discriminate between the two. I sail both, and will continue to do so. Both lines have their positives and negatives.

For those that think it's too big, it's really not. It's not that much larger than the freedom class, at all. And it is quite a bit smaller than Oasis class ships.

It's also about 31,000 more tons than a Carnival Dream class, and only carries about 500 more pax. I LOVE the RCCL Freedom class ships, and those never felt crowded to me. RCCL does a very good job with space ratio.

Switched our booking from Quantum to Splendor. Do not need to pay a higher price for bumper cars, etc. that I will not be using anyway! Ports for Quantum are nothing exciting.

As with the Oasis, some passengers just want to say they sailed on the ship, no interest in the ports since they do not leave the ship.

Me, I rather wait until they get all the bugs out and the pricing comes down. With Quantum, they are being so super secret while all their competition has released more information on ships that will not debut until 2016 or 2017! Don't get it.

MARAPRINCE

I have been wanting to try Oasis or Allure to see if the mega ships are for me, pricing has been a little too high. I like big ones like the Conquest and Dream on Carnival and Mariner and Freedom on RCCl but the newer RCL's are much bigger. I hope that when the Quantum comes out that those prices will drop. Those extra things are interesting but the newest and greatest always has a great price tag to go along with it. I will wait until it sails a few years and the "new" wears off and the prices come down some. I am looking forward to sailing on all of their "new" ships one day.