Air New Zealand vs Qantas

You'd always be able to take extra luggage (subject to space), but would pay extra for it, so the option is not an issue.

Air NZ offer the option to prepay upfront for extra, which is usually a better way to go than paying at checkin. Not sure which route you're looking for but they have their pricing online. Check this out for the details:

http://www.airnewzealand.com.au/prepaid-extra-bags

We are considering Air NZ but are confused by the allowed baggage. We are doing 3 weeks (cruise/land) and want to take 2 bags each <24kg/50lbs. I am confused by ANZ website that states only 1 bag allowed. It reads like we can only take 1 bag. I don't mind paying extra for a 2nd bag, but would not fly them if we can only do 1. I didn't have this issue with Qantas last trip and think I'm probably not reading this correctly. We are trying to decide between economy and the awkward twisting premium economy seats. Qantas makes us go to SYD then AKL- costing us a day of travel.

Can someone clarify the baggage allowance for economy for ANZ? Thanks!

Karen

1 piece < 23 kgs per person is fairly standard for international economy these days, in fact some airlines only allow 20kgs.

If you fly premium economy you get 2 bags < 23kg each.

1 piece < 23 kgs per person is fairly standard for international economy these days, in fact some airlines only allow 20kgs.

If you fly premium economy you get 2 bags < 23kg each.

It really depends on the airline. Many don't have the piece restriction and as you say the weight restrictions vary too.

It really depends on the airline. Many don't have the piece restriction and as you say the weight restrictions vary too.

Yes, it does. But the figures I mentioned are the Air New Zealand international baggage allowances.

Qantas is actually more generous in economy, allowing two bags of <23kgs, the same as premium economy.

Yes, it does. But the figures I mentioned are the Air New Zealand international baggage allowances.

Qantas is actually more generous in economy, allowing two bags of <23kgs, the same as premium economy.

Certainly. Shop around if luggage matters, as the allowances vary.

To answer the original question . Business Class on Air NZ is fabulous in all regards. Lie flat beds, great food friendly service . Premium Economy also excellent . For Cattle Class Air NZ is smeg .

QF and Air NZ equal for Premium Economy . QF better for Cattle Class. Air NZ better for Business .

Air NZ flies DAILY from Vancouver, San Francisco or Los Angeles to both Melbourne and Sydney via Auckland. Aircraft 777-200 & 777-300

QF flies only from Los Angeles daily direct to both Melbourne and Sydney in A-380 . Also Dallas Fort Worth direct to Brisbane onto Sydney . QF also has QF connection ex New York connect through Los Angeles .

Both are very safe Airlines and both rate in World top 5 .

Hi All: I have been reading all the opinions about the air. We will be going in November. Would most book now, or wait a few months? I have spoken to both at Quantas and ANZ. We would like to try to go on our miles. Have all been in this same situation? Is very frustrating to me. Opinions on booking now or later?? thanks,

The Air New Zealand rewards scheme is very good. You can use points to buy a ticket for any seat on every flight. The conversions is one point equals one dollar.

You do need to have enough points to completely buy the seat in points however you can buy any number of points at face value for a $5 fee and so you can just top up from the number of points you have to the number you need.

The way you buy points is to load money onto the Air New Zealand debit card they send you when you're a member of the loyalty scheme and from there you can transfer to points.

The Air New Zealand rewards scheme is very good. You can use points to buy a ticket for any seat on every flight. The conversions is one point equals one dollar.

You do need to have enough points to completely buy the seat in points however you can buy any number of points at face value for a $5 fee and so you can just top up from the number of points you have to the number you need.

The way you buy points is to load money onto the Air New Zealand debit card they send you when you're a member of the loyalty scheme and from there you can transfer to points.

Actually, I think it's a very poor scheme. It's the only one I know that charges an annual fee (if you didn't fly).

While that's fine for frequent flyers, given the nature of this question of someone not familiar, they're not going to be a frequent flyer with AirNZ so it's likely going to be a pointless exercise joining unless there's sufficient one-off benefit from the flight. But poor for the occasional flyer.

Edited by The_Big_M

Actually, I think it's a very poor scheme. It's the only one I know that charges an annual fee (if you didn't fly).

While that's fine for frequent flyers, given the nature of this question of someone not familiar, they're not going to be a frequent flyer with AirNZ so it's likely going to be a pointless exercise joining unless there's sufficient one-off benefit from the flight. But poor for the occasional flyer.

There can be worthwhile one-off benefits from joining for one return trip - the last time I went up to the US at the pointy end followed by the pointy end internally to DC I came away with $600 worth of points. I'm, getting $300 for my mid-plane priced (premium economy) four-day trip up to the US this coming weekend too; the airpoints scheme has let me upgrade to business class as well and so saved about $5k in cost.

These points can be spent in the airpoints store for household items if not used to buy flights. On a plane with nothing else to do I'd fill out a form to get $300 to spend.

If in the very cheapest seat in economy on a US return flight you're still going to walk away with a frying pan if you want one.

Rewards are easily delivered within NZ to a mail forwarder and then forwarded to anywhere in just the same way people in NZ do the reverse for the US.

Edited by MrYellowDuck
delivery comment

I find the Air New Zealand frequent flier program to be not at all beneficial to me, and I fly ANZ almost exclusively from Melbourne to the US, because they fly direct to San Francisco, not LAX. It is certainly not worth it to me given what they change as an annual fee.

That said, I'm not a New Zealand resident and I think the program benefits are different for residents/citizens of New Zealand than they are for non-residents/citizens. And that's totally fair, but that fact must be considered in a cost/benefit analysis for non-residents.

I would however recommend Air New Zealand over Qantas. I've had better service on Air New Zealand than Qantas AND ANZ flies direct to San Francisco, which to me is worth any price difference. I hate flying through LAX and avoid it if at all possible. Once in the US, I switch to Southwest because all I want is transportation from SF to NO and I find the add-on fares with ANZ's partners are not cheaper, or better times, than I can get with Southwest. And I'm not earning ANZ miles on the Southwest flights, which is another vote against ANZ expensive frequent flier plan.

But that's just my experience and my opinion.

For 62.5k Aadvantage miles each we are flying 1st class on our US AA flights, then upper deck Business from LA to Brisbane and Business from there to AKL. It will be our first experience on a 747. Now if only our UA miles will get us similar seats (not Qantas I know, but maybe Air NZ) from our return from SYD. United seems to be very stingy with saver seats so who knows if we'll be lucky with them.

I began this thread and as promised I am checking back in with a review of our flights. We chose Air New Zealand and are very happy with our choice. The US airlines could learn a lot from ANZ. It was by far the best airline we have ever flown on.

Both flights were on a 777-3000. We were in premium economy from LAX to Auckland and in business on the return trip. The flight attendants, service, food and entertainment were amazing. We found the seats in both travel classes very comfortable and while we slept a little better in the full lay down beds in business class, we did not like the seat configuration which required my husband or I getting out of our seat to speak with the other.

The shower facilities at the lounge in Auckland were immaculate and perfect for showering and changing after a long day of touring before getting on a late long haul flight.

Bottom line, we were very impressed and pleased with our experience with Air New Zealand. A flight we were dreading was a pleasure and the time sped by.

We did take round trip Qantas flights from Sydney to Cairns, but it was only a three hour flight and in economy (very cramped) therefore I can't really compare the two airlines. However others on our cruise did do the Qantas long haul flights and were very happy.

Thank you all for all your input to my original post.

I began this thread and as promised I am checking back in with a review of our flights. We chose Air New Zealand and are very happy with our choice. The US airlines could learn a lot from ANZ. It was by far the best airline we have ever flown on.

Both flights were on a 777-3000. We were in premium economy from LAX to Auckland and in business on the return trip. The flight attendants, service, food and entertainment were amazing. We found the seats in both travel classes very comfortable and while we slept a little better in the full lay down beds in business class, we did not like the seat configuration which required my husband or I getting out of our seat to speak with the other.

The shower facilities at the lounge in Auckland were immaculate and perfect for showering and changing after a long day of touring before getting on a late long haul flight.

Bottom line, we were very impressed and pleased with our experience with Air New Zealand. A flight we were dreading was a pleasure and the time sped by.

We did take round trip Qantas flights from Sydney to Cairns, but it was only a three hour flight and in economy (very cramped) therefore I can't really compare the two airlines. However others on our cruise did do the Qantas long haul flights and were very happy.

Thank you all for all your input to my original post.

Thanks for this review.

Did the premium economy seats have a footrest?, if so, would it be half the height of the seat?

Great to hear you enjoyed your flights with Air New Zealand, R & R Carroll. We flew Sydney to Auckland with them a couple of years ago and they were excellent, even in economy.

Qantas domestic is very cramped. OK for a shortish flight Sydney to Melbourne, but that flight to Cairns is a killer. We no longer fly with them on domestic routes. For long haul international they are still OK, except to New Zealand as you are likely to get the domestic planes on those routes.

Thanks for this review.

Did the premium economy seats have a footrest?, if so, would it be half the height of the seat?

There is a small, unsuitable footrest (a kind of squishy bean bag, if I recall). The frequent flyer in the seat next to me used her small carry on as a footrest, saying she learned to do that from past experience.

Thanks for this review.

They had a bean bag for your feet. The angle to the seat depended on what incline you had your seat adjusted to. You can put an extra pillow or small personal item under the bean bag to raise it if needed.

There is a small, unsuitable footrest (a kind of squishy bean bag, if I recall). The frequent flyer in the seat next to me used her small carry on as a footrest, saying she learned to do that from past experience.

They had a bean bag for your feet. The angle to the seat depended on what incline you had your seat adjusted to. You can put an extra pillow or small personal item under the bean bag to raise it if needed.

Thank you both for your responses, very helpful.

We are going to Syd next year and I have been looking at the NZ Prem Econ seats. How comfortable are there for the long flight out of SFO? And which are the best seats the ones in the middle or the one on the sides of the plane?

We are going to Syd next year and I have been looking at the NZ Prem Econ seats. How comfortable are there for the long flight out of SFO? And which are the best seats the ones in the middle or the one on the sides of the plane?

I flew the 777-300 ANZ premium economy seats to SFO from Auckland, and I found them very, very comfortable. Well worth the bump in cost from Economy, and I didn't feel badly that I hadn't paid for first class.