Book now or later?

Algebralovr

Those of you who have been looking at the new sailings just being released may have an opinion. ID like to hear it.

I see the preview perk, but don't remember the on-board booking perk.

I have a cruise coming up in June. I want to book my winter 2016 cruise once I see pricing. I'm trying to decide between a 10 night on Equinox, a 14 night in Eclipse, and a B2B on Reflection or Sillouette where a friend might be able to join me for part of it. That is a different issue. I will probably book Concierge Class for the nicer towels and points, since the extra points will get us to Elite.

My question is, do you believe I'll get better OBC/perks by booking now (before April 30) or waiting to book Onboard in June? I don't expect prices to change much between now and June, since it will still be so far out.

Thanks!

I'm having this problem as well. At the moment we would get $200 OBC for the cabin but we are cruising in June on Celebrity, so are unsure if we could get a better deal by booking onboard. Quotes at the moment are just under £3000 for 3 of us in an inside cabin, which is brilliant, but both last year and this year we managed to get deals including drinks packages (which we make use of!) so unsure if we should wait. For 3 of us it works out at around £1000 so it would make the difference if we can get that.

The flyer I saved at the end of January, probably found from a link on these Celebrity boards lists higher OBC for booking onboard than the current promo. Will the same amounts still be in effect in June? hard to say. But when booking onboard your deposit will only be $100 per person, so you could probably book all your options and then make your final decision later.

My flyer shows OBC for CC class for a 7 day cruise at $250, 10 dday cruise at $300 and 14 day cruise at $350.

I guess it somewhat depends on whether or not you like a specific cabin.. We choose the same one every cruise, so we book as soon as it opens, then hope for a promo or price drop before final pay. We would not book a price we weren't comfortable with, but we usually (thanks to the folks here at CC) find a deal or a price reduction during the year before final pay that makes it that much sweeter!

Those of you who have been looking at the new sailings just being released may have an opinion. ID like to hear it.

I have a cruise coming up in June. I want to book my winter 2016 cruise once I see pricing. I'm trying to decide between a 10 night on Equinox, a 14 night in Eclipse, and a B2B on Reflection or Sillouette where a friend might be able to join me for part of it. That is a different issue. I will probably book Concierge Class for the nicer towels and points, since the extra points will get us to Elite.

My question is, do you believe I'll get better OBC/perks by booking now (before April 30) or waiting to book Onboard in June? I don't expect prices to change much between now and June, since it will still be so far out.

Thanks!

IMO if you are confident that the price will not go up then you will get a better deal booking on board. Reference the current thread about the new booking on board program effective March 1. It includes the 123 GO option as well as the Celebrity OBC and lower deposit. And you can make changes and keep the benefits.

Good luck.

I was at an event last night put on by my TA, and there was a Celebrity rep there. She told me that starting shortly all bookings made on board will throw in the classic drink package, plus another book on board perk like OBC, and that the offer will also be combinable with one other offer. It has yet to be out into practice, at least for me, so who knows. But, that's what I was told.

I was at an event last night put on by my TA' date=' and there was a Celebrity rep there. She told me that starting shortly all bookings made on board will throw in the classic drink package, plus another book on board perk like OBC, and that the offer will also be combinable with one other offer. It has yet to be out into practice, at least for me, so who knows. But, that's what I was told.[/quote']

See thread concerning new program starting 3/1/2014. It would appear that it is already implemented, but it does say that with the 123 Go and Celebrity OBC it can not be combined with another offer. (Assuming I read the small print on the second page correctly)

Of course since this is already implemented perhaps they is an even newer program coming soon that can be combined.

Bottom line is that IMO it is a significant improvement to the program and it is amazing that they are making it.

Edited by jagoffee

See thread concerning new program starting 3/1/2014. It would appear that it is already implemented, but it does say that with the 123 Go and Celebrity OBC it can not be combined with another offer. (Assuming I read the small print on the second page correctly)

Of course since this is already implemented perhaps they is an even newer program coming soon that can be combined.

Bottom line is that IMO it is a significant improvement to the program and it is amazing that they are making it.

Actually, the terms on the first page says it can be combined...

Cruise Now program may be combinable with one additional offer of your choice available up to the final payment due date. Cruise Now program excludes certain promotions and discounted rates, including, Exciting Deals, net rates, gross rates, cruise certificates, Interline, travel agent, and employee rates.

Interesting how the terms are different on each page. I'm sure one is referring to the OBC and one to the pick your perk

Edited by Cruise Junky

Actually, the terms on the first page says it can be combined...

Cruise Now program may be combinable with one additional offer of your choice available up to the final payment due date. Cruise Now program excludes certain promotions and discounted rates, including, Exciting Deals, net rates, gross rates, cruise certificates, Interline, travel agent, and employee rates.

Interesting how the terms are different on each page. I'm sure one is referring to the OBC and one to the pick your perk

I agree. I was referring to the one if you have the Pick your Perk. I think it means you can combine the OBC with on other offer, but I believe if you get the Pick your Perk then you cannot add another offer. I could not imagine how any other offer could ever be more than the Pick your Pick offer. If you can get the OBC, Pick your Perk, and another offer that would be even more generous. We will know with greater certainty when Host Andy cruises in a couple weeks.

I was at an event last night put on by my TA' date=' and there was a Celebrity rep there. She told me that [b']starting shortly all bookings made on board will throw in the classic drink package, plus another book on board perk like OBC, and that the offer will also be combinable with one other offer. [/b]

WOW! *IF* that is indeed the real future of "onboard bookings," I might actually consider doing it for the very first time. :eek: :)

BUT... :confused:

Taking into account the price drops that ALMOST always happen after final payment, (granted, not ALL the time) I am STILL quite skeptical that this new program will allow me to match (or better) my $40-$45 per person, per night average, that I have maintained for my 73 nights (soon to be 88 nights) on Celebrity. :cool: :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Am on the same June sailing as Algebralovr and am wondering how to go about booking our May 2015 Baltic cruise. We'll be eight of us and I have a hold on three hump cabins, need to confirm by the 27th. There isn't going to be much of a price difference between now and June but will most certainly not get these cabins. What are the advantages of booking onboard, what do you suggest I do?

IMO if you are confident that the price will not go up then you will get a better deal booking on board. Reference the current thread about the new booking on board program effective March 1. It includes the 123 GO option as well as the Celebrity OBC and lower deposit. And you can make changes and keep the benefits.

Good luck.

Do you have a link by any chance? I don't seem to be able to find it. Thanks for the tip though!

I think it all depends on which cruise you are looking to book. The 14 night Eclipse cruise tends to be a very popular cruise, and the price usually continues to keep going up. The 7 night cruises don't sell as well, and IMO, would not have a significant price increase in the next 2 months. IMO, I would think the Eclipse cruise will continue to rise each month, as the ship books, with supply and demand, no one knows for sure how quickly the pricing will go up. In the past couple years, the price on the Eclipse cruise has continued to go up, whereas, pricing on some of the 7 night cruises will have price drops after final payment.

It's a gamble on what you do. You could keep an eye on the price, and if it doesn't go up, you could wait until you cruise. If you see a price increase, you could then decide if the gamble is worth the wait.

We wanted a specific cabin and it happens to be one that is quite popular and in demand so we booked a B2B on the Connie that same day in order to catch it. Ironically, prices were not out of the range of what we paid for the Connie cruise we just took...

However, if I was in a "don't care where my room is or where we go as long as I'm on the ship" mood- then yeah, I would do what others do and book closer to final payment or after. there are some great deals that way too.

I was torn between that 10N on the Eqi you mentioned (but it's a 2015 right now) and a B2B on the Connie (works out to 9N). In the end, the difference was about $500 for the cabin we had on the Connie vs the same category on the Eqi, so we picked the Connie again. We have been to all those ports, so this trip will truly be about the finer points of cruising and relaxing. Maybe I'll catch the 10N in 2016....

I have generally found that for the popular cruises it is better to book early. Booking is like voting in Chicago, early and often.

We booked early for Infinity, Around the Horn and prices went up more than $1000 pp. The Infinity British Isles and Connie Black Sea prices went up hundreds of dollars. On the BI prices did drop after final payment to about what they were when we booked, and we upgraded to AQ.

I think Caribbean cruises don't always sell out, so perhaps you can wait and get a bargain. Also, flight arrangements are easier CONUS or you can drive to the port.

We booked onboard last year for this year's cruise to the Baltic. I watched the prices from inception and received the very best price, along with other perks. This cruise went up over $2,000+, and we got a great deal and cabin. I plan to do the same thing this year. However, one never knows what Celebrity will do and not do in the future...:cool:

I agree that it is highly likely that prices will go up, but watching prices has told me that they are unlikely to go up between now and June for winter 2016 cruises. I'm speaking for the 10-11 Equinox cruises and 14 night Eclipse cruises here. The 7 night ones will take even longer.

I'm interested in hearing from Host Andy and others sailing soon that the beverage package is offered for all book-on-board sailings, since if it is, then I will definitely wait to book!

While there are some rooms I would prefer, I'm not so set on a particular room that I must book now to get it. I like the rooms on the hump, but I'm fine with any balcony room if that is all I can get.

Thanks for the help all!

In all honesty the only preference that we have with a cabin is whether there's a sofa bed or not. I'm 5'8" and climbing into a bunk bed is a bit impractical for me (I share a cabin with my parents). Inside, oceanview, balcony, we don't care as long as we have somewhere to sleep and are setting off on the cruise with a cocktail in hand waving goodbye to the UK for a couple of weeks. If we can get a drinks package by booking on board then even better! I appreciate this is only with OV cabins or above but the amount we'd save by getting an OV rather than an inside + 2/3 drinks packages (depending how my mum feels) makes it worth it :)