Choc Lava Cake

cruisetimeforme

I happen to love the X lava cake, but the cake was different on Infinity than on Constellation. When I ordered it on Connie, it was twice as large as it was on Infinity. Perhaps they were trying to spare me some calories.

They had it twice on the 14 night eclipse. The other chocolate cake on the everyday menu is great but not the lava cake.

I just remember the cake being relay nice, what was the difference between the 2 cakes, I can't remember and I am on Eclipse in May, I will know which one choose:)

The lava cake is small and round with a warm, liquid center ( hence the name).

The regular chocolate cake is a larger slice of layer cake with icing and dulce con leche.

You could order both and compare:).

The lava cake is small and round with a warm, liquid center ( hence the name).

The regular chocolate cake is a larger slice of layer cake with icing and dulce con leche.

You could order both and compare:).

I think I need to do that just to make sure :D

The "everyday" chocolate cake was quite good. Moist and chocolatey. The lava cake was a disappointment. First time on Celebrity so I expected the same type of dessert that they serve on Carnival, which is typical of most lava cakes. Gooey, drippy center. The lava cake was very small (you can order more, of course) but there was no lava! It was just okay and not what I would have expected.

Overall, I did find the desserts quite good.

The lava cake on Equinox was the size of a silver dollar, should gave seen my face when it was delivered (& only night DH didn't gave his camera). That being said, it was good, dense chocolate with a gooey center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone know what night it's offered on a 7nt? Has anyone tried to order on addtional evenings or asked for dessert "to go" before? Room service, maybe?

My partner,being a pastry chef makes "molten chocolate cake" quite frequently. It's always a big hit at Thanksgiving. He uses the Callebaut brand. We've had lava cake on the Eclipse..good, but not the same. He won't try to compete at the pastry competion on board, as he feels they can't match up to his quality. He does help a lot of the pax at the meeting who are trying to learn the basics.

I know while on Century last month some of my tablemates and I had

the regular chocolate cake with ice cream:D.....I must say, all of us

thought it was delicious.:)

I don't recall seeing the Lava Cake on the menu but maybe I just

missed it......we had such a fun table that laughter happened alot :Dso

maybe I just didn't see it:eek:.......

But I do agree with BobbyD the chocolate cake was moist and very

chocolatey:D

I know while on Century last month some of my tablemates and I had

the regular chocolate cake with ice cream:D.....I must say, all of us

thought it was delicious.:)

I don't recall seeing the Lava Cake on the menu but maybe I just

missed it......we had such a fun table that laughter happened alot so

maybe I just didn't see it:eek:.......

But I do agree with BobbyD the chocolate cake was moist and very

chocolatey:D

Hi Lois :D

I thought that the everyday Chocolate Cake on the Century last month was the best I'd ever had on a Celebrity cruise. I have tried that cake on other ships and found the crumb to be large and rather oily, but the cake on the Century was great! Actually, I thought all the desserts that I tried on the Century (and especially in the Cova Café) were really good, and a BIG step up from previous cruises, when I haven't been so impressed with desserts.

Regarding the Chocolate Lava Cake (Molten Chocolate Cake), it is a super-easy dessert to make. You can prepare it ahead of time and leave the ramekins in the refrigerator until you need to bake them. Bring them to room temperature before you bake them, then serve immediately. I usually add a few fresh raspberries, a drizzle of raspberry coulis and a mint leaf as a garnish. I use Valhrona chocolate if I have it, or Callebaut.

The original recipe for the Molten Chocolate Cake in the US is credited to Jean-Georges Vongerichten. His recipe states that cooking time is 12 minutes at 450 degrees, but in my oven it is about 7-8 minutes to get the amount of molten-ness I require in the centre. :) I would suggest a trial run in your oven. Martha Stewart also provides a recipe that cooks at 400 degrees for a shorter time than JGV.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/molten-chocolate-cakes-vongerichten

While looking up the above link, I also found a recipe for Molten Chocolate Cakes with Caramel Filling...I have to try that one tonight!!

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/molten-chocolate-cake-with-caramel-filling

Hi Eileen:).......yes, the sweets in Cova were so good too:D

And listening to Jordan play the piano with you and our friendly group

made everything taste better as well!;)

Hi Everyone,

I agree that the Chocolate Cake on the Everyday Menu (left side) is generally outstanding - nice and moist and great chocolatey taste - YUM !

As for the Lava Cake ? It was always one of our Celebrity favorites, but it was disappointing on Century. It was tiny, not served warm, the lava was dry, and the taste was so so at best. I'm wondering if Celebrity changed the recipe, though I'm hopeful this was a one off situation. I'm looking forward to trying the Lava Cake again on Eclipse.

Even if the Lava Cake remains disappointing, we have the outstanding Chocolate Cake to look forward to (please Celebrity - don't change this recipe !) - so it's not a big deal.

On our Feb. Eclipse sailing, the lava cake was very small. Very disappointing. I guess they are trying to save money. I didn't know they would be so tiny so I didn't order two. The regular chocolate cake was very good.

Thanks for the updates now I don't feel as excited to order anymore. Going on the Sille Sun so now know not to get my hopes too high. Will have to give the chocolate cake a try. Was already planning to stop at Trader's on way home from cruise, so I'll check it out, thanks

Hi Lois :D

I thought that the everyday Chocolate Cake on the Century last month was the best I'd ever had on a Celebrity cruise. I have tried that cake on other ships and found the crumb to be large and rather oily, but the cake on the Century was great! Actually, I thought all the desserts that I tried on the Century (and especially in the Cova Café) were really good, and a BIG step up from previous cruises, when I haven't been so impressed with desserts.

Regarding the Chocolate Lava Cake (Molten Chocolate Cake), it is a super-easy dessert to make. You can prepare it ahead of time and leave the ramekins in the refrigerator until you need to bake them. Bring them to room temperature before you bake them, then serve immediately. I usually add a few fresh raspberries, a drizzle of raspberry coulis and a mint leaf as a garnish. I use Valhrona chocolate if I have it, or Callebaut.

The original recipe for the Molten Chocolate Cake in the US is credited to Jean-Georges Vongerichten. His recipe states that cooking time is 12 minutes at 450 degrees, but in my oven it is about 7-8 minutes to get the amount of molten-ness I require in the centre. :) I would suggest a trial run in your oven. Martha Stewart also provides a recipe that cooks at 400 degrees for a shorter time than JGV.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/molten-chocolate-cakes-vongerichten

While looking up the above link, I also found a recipe for Molten Chocolate Cakes with Caramel Filling...I have to try that one tonight!!

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/molten-chocolate-cake-with-caramel-filling

A real quick cheater is to pop in a lindor truffle. When it melts you get your molten center. My partner, Richard never uses them, due to the fact they use coconut/palm oil as an emulsifier. But it works well for the novice baker out there.